Nick Foles reaction to Chip Kelly racism accusations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Am I the only one that thinks comedy is supposed to be offensive? It's comedy, take things to their extremes so that we can laugh at the hyperbolized ridiculousness.

There is a comedian (forget his name) that says when the audience goes "Ohhhh" after an offensive joke that it is just like laughing except for pansies. I laughed my ass off even though he had told a joke prior that made me go "Ohhh". Comedy should take uncomfortable things (racism is pretty uncomfortable for everyone) and shine a light on it.

Now as for this comic strip, I just didn't find it funny enough, mainly because I have been pondering my own better version of this comic since I heard Stephen Smith call Chip racist.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
The cartoon would have you believe that all black people act as Nick Foles is trying to act. It is demeaning to black people and just generally offensive. Unfortunately, when people don't think it's racist, it gives credence to those that believe institutional racism is still in full effect.
What if they added a strip about Foles asking Janoris Jenkins to teach him how to be black? And Janoris tells him to make a rap mixtape? Would it be racist then? Even though is would clearly be attempting to emulate Jenkins and not "all black people"?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Alan - Started to respond to your Captain Obvious observation, but noticed the "Think before you post" suggestion, so I'll wait till tomorrow.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Black stand up comedian goes up on stage and uses material that pokes fun at whites, Asians, Hispanics....it's funny(?) Society says so, and society includes blacks.

White stand up comedian goes on stage and uses material that pokes fun at blacks, hispanics, Asians...wait that doesn't happen because society says that's racist.

You see it in film, television, media, advertising, literature and hear it in music. There is a double standard that has evolved over time in this country. Equality has improved, but race relations haven't IMO. Racism is real but so is the race card.

Double standards and equality do not mix.
I'll stop there before i get completely misinterpreted.

Um... Louis CK, Jim Norton and a host of other white comedians would like a word... They roast EVERYONE.

Comedians are funny because they create funny material and Louis CK has proven that a white comedian can do humor that was thought to be humor only black comedians could.

I only know a few things really well... Multimedia Engineering, boxing, comedy and I know a fair bit about football.

When it comes to comedy, even more than religion, folks treat it like a buffet and pick and choose what suits them whether it's for entertainment or to make a point. Doesn't make it true.

I could probably write a thesis on how comedy deals with race and it likely wouldn't be less than 100 pages...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Um... Louis CK, Jim Norton and a host of other white comedians would like a word... They roast EVERYONE.

Comedians are funny because they create funny material and Louis CK has proven that a white comedian can do humor that was thought to be humor only black comedians could.

I only know a few things really well... Multimedia Engineering, boxing, comedy and I know a fair bit about football.

When it comes to comedy, even more than religion, folks treat it like a buffet and pick and choose what suits them whether it's for entertainment or to make a point. Doesn't make it true.

I could probably write a thesis on how comedy deals with race and it likely wouldn't be less than 100 pages...
It is fascinating Mack, but IMO it wouldn't take 100 pages to write about how society reacts to racial comedy depending on the color of your skin and the material presented to audiences and the color of those individuals who delivered it ;)

Your avi reminded me...Mel Brooks'(and Richard Pryors') "Blazing Saddles" wouldn't see the light of day if it were created today. I don't thing that's a good thing either.
Many would call that progress...i don't think so.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, two things...

1) a persons color may have some general correlation to how a person relates to humor, but individually, the factors that are stronger may be gender, age, culture, geography, sexual identity, marital status, sexual activity and the list goes on... Part of what makes comedy the alchemy it is is just what I'm saying... There are no linear correlations or comedy would be easier. It's not. The same jokes would work on two basically white crowds in South Dakota...not always. Same goes for a club in Brooklyn. It may seem that color X = expected reaction X, but all the way back to when TV was lily white and to the Borscht belt and Vaudeville shows before that...that correlation has never existed. It's been close enough for people for comedians to go with "ethnic" humor (as well as humor based on those other factors I mentioned), but even then, that was merely a faster way of getting to the "set up" and establishing common ground before delivering a punch line that actually forced a laugh. As for that universal correlation? Just not there.

2) I agree. No way in hell Blazing Saddles gets made today and that's a damn shame. Mel Brooks really confronted racism with humor. It took bold, brave actors and a comedy genius to pull it off. I think the reasons are manifold, complicated and most are bad and are related to simpletons who can't see how it's possible to confront anything with humor. I mean I'd rather see an evisceration by John Oliver, John Stewart or Stephen Colbert of someone engaged in capital douchebagguery than see a picket line. Plus, frankly, the jesters of today present more truth than the truth tellers, but that's another post.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This thread has gone in the complete opposite direction that I expected it to go...

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Mack - knowing you, it would be 1,000 pages, and I would read every one.

You write very well. Agreement wise, you and I are maybe 50-50, but that's why I love this site, (and country). Personally I think it's a good thing that America is split on most issues- keeps the pos pols on their toes.

Also why I loved Thordaddy, (who I tended to generally align with), cuz I go ballistic at times, whereas he very calmly and rationally explained his position and the reasoning behind it.

To be continued....

Alan

Legend
VegasRam afraid to come out of the water:
Alan - Started to respond to your Captain Obvious observation, but noticed the "Think before you post" suggestion, so I'll wait till tomorrow.
That's Colonel Obvious to you civilian! :mad: :LOL:
First of all, never think before you do things because doing that will often delay your gratification or ,worst case scenario, keep you from doing it. :eek:
Second of all, you have to give me a hint as to which post you're talking about. Merely labeling it "Colonel Obvious" doesn't do anything to narrow down my options. :palm:
Third, I'm a big boy, bring it on! :lifting::shades:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICkWjdQuK7Q

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What if they added a strip about Foles asking Janoris Jenkins to teach him how to be black? And Janoris tells him to make a rap mixtape? Would it be racist then? Even though is would clearly be attempting to emulate Jenkins and not "all black people"?

Wouldn't be racist in my mind. Racism in most definitions that you will see in dictionaries (although there are differences and "revisionism" is creeping in) always shares the following basis - the assumption that one particular race (not culture, nationality or belief system) - but race, is superior to another - and on that ground antagonism, prejudice or discrimination takes place. The redefinition of racism (and many other things in the West today) has led to a blurring of this definition. We have got to a point where the definition is now created, changed and adapted to by the particular group who feel offended by any other group. Is offensive the same as racist? Not strictly - and when it comes to words that's important. The self policing of these words (i.e. "we as a certain group take ownership of said word and deem it to now be racist" means that we can never get a strict and true definition of the term and this leads to ambiguity being used to further a groups certain political or social aims. Look at how the government used fear of communism to advance its own political aims in the 50's . It took a word - Communism, and took ownership of it to the point where to profess a particular view which had some similarities with communist outlooks made you unpatriotic and an enemy of the state.

As a result, freedom of expression and free speech - the freedom that underpins all our liberties comes under attack. We are unable to say something for fear of being branded with an "ism". Racist, Fascist, Communist, Chauvinist - whatever. The point is - its a label that defines someone and instantly destroys anything worthwhile or constructive that they have to say - even if they are not what they are labelled as - but have a view which aligns with a particular facet of that belief system.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whatever the going rate is for top 15 talent, they're worth it...I don't get caught up in numbers...And really, whatever someone is willing to pay, you're worth.
I'd argue that by trading Leshaun and getting DeMarco, they essentially traded a RB, with considerably less wear and tear (Demarco runs more violently, and creates contact, while shady tries to avoid collisions) for a RB that after 1900 yards, is bound to drop off...Even the great ED was never the same after going for 2105...Historically speaking, the Eagles just did some dumb crap....

McCoy also had a lot of wear and tear the year prior....and didn't look the same last year. I do agree that Murray will likely drop off.....but for $5 mil cheaper, and the talent level being close, that's a no brainer.

Maclin and Jackson as top 15 talents....yikes.

Calvin, Demaryius, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson, Alshon, OBJ, Mike Evans, Randall Cobb, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, TY Hilton, Emanuel Sanders, Sammy Watkins.

There are 15 right there, and I'd prefer both Cooper and Kevin White to them as well even though they are rookies.

And on that list I have above, only Fitzgerald, Dez, Demaryius and Calvin are making more than Maclin next year.

The Eagles letting Maclin go was one of the best financial decisions anyone has made this year IMO. They got younger and cheaper at the WR position, and in the long run they will be better as well IMO.

Jackson was replaced without missing a beat. The Eagles won the same number of games and offense was not their issue. So it's hard to argue they shouldn't have let Jackson go, because they didn't miss a beat. Even with a backup QB.

As far as McCoy goes - not only is he not worth that kind of money IMO, but he's obviously prone to saying stupid stuff - saying Chip Kelly is "getting rid of all the good black players" when there are plenty of good black players still on the team is ignorant.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Calvin, Demaryius, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson, Alshon, OBJ, Mike Evans, Randall Cobb, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, TY Hilton, Emanuel Sanders, Sammy Watkins.
Good points..all great #1's....
Larry Fitz? Sorry, umm just no..great guy, but naw...Sammy Watkins? Not yet...Mike Evans? ditto, not yet....due to the CBA, a lot of players are underpaid the first 4-5 years...then they'll make their money....But I'd throw D-Jax & Maclin in with that group...game changers...especially D-Jax...and his QB situation was awful.
Jackson was replaced without missing a beat. The Eagles won the same number of games and offense was not their issue. So it's hard to argue they shouldn't have let Jackson go, because they didn't miss a beat.
Jax was replaced...by Maclin...they are gonna rue the day (always wanted to use that in a sentence), RUE the DAY, they let their top 2 WR's leave in back to back years....

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good points..all great #1's....
Larry Fitz? Sorry, umm just no..great guy, but naw...Sammy Watkins? Not yet...Mike Evans? ditto, not yet....due to the CBA, a lot of players are underpaid the first 4-5 years...then they'll make their money....But I'd throw D-Jax & Maclin in with that group...game changers...especially D-Jax...and his QB situation was awful.
Jax was replaced...by Maclin...they are gonna rue the day (always wanted to use that in a sentence), RUE the DAY, they let their top 2 WR's leave in back to back years....

We'll have to agree to disagree. Be interesting to see what happens.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your avi reminded me...Mel Brooks'(and Richard Pryors') "Blazing Saddles" wouldn't see the light of day if it were created today. I don't thing that's a good thing either.
Many would call that progress...i don't think so.

Or All In The Family.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Or All In The Family.
But it's ok to have two black comedic actors go undercover as White Chicks in a movie that is infested with white stereotypes. Where are all the movie scripts for Black Chicks where we can see white actors explore that comedic material?
nono.gif

That's just one of many examples.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it's ok to have two black comedic actors go undercover as White Chicks in a movie that is infested with white stereotypes. Where are all the movie scripts for Black Chicks where we can see white actors explore that comedic material?
nono.gif

That's just one of many examples.
Well, I don't want to get that deep into this issue...

Alls I'm sayin' is it's sad to me we'll likely never see movies like Blazing Saddles or TV shows like All In The Family ever again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well, I don't want to get that deep into this issue...

Alls I'm sayin' is it's sad to me we'll likely never see movies like Blazing Saddles or TV shows like All In The Family ever again.
I understand, and neither do i here. I would be lying if i said that it doesn't bother me though...and that it's a pretty transparent double standard in American culture that isn't talked about enough, and it's not helping White or Black America to learn to get along by recognizing and being able to have a laugh together over each others stereotypes.

This isn't the place to delve deeper into this issue, yet i keep posting. :D