Nick Foles not concerned with Rams' OL chaos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...haos--which-is-old-hand-to-him-150828945.html
Nick Foles not concerned with Rams' OL chaos, which is old hand to him

FILE - In this June 11, 2015, file photo, St. Louis Rams quarterback Nick Foles throws a pass during an NFL football organized team activity in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Michael Thomas)
EARTH CITY, Mo. — The St. Louis Rams are taking great pains to fix an offensive line that has required more than just a tuneup.

Have you ever heard of a team spending five draft picks (including a supplemental choice, Isaiah Battle) in a single year at the position?

Ever seen a team that is rotating its three prospective centers — Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones andDemetrius Rhaney — by giving each a full-day crack at the starting reps instead of rotating them in throughout practice?

It might seem like the Rams are desperate or needy, or in a stark situation, but for new quarterbackNick Foles this isn't as bad as he's seen.

As a senior at Arizona in 2011, Foles lined up behind a group that coming into the season had no seniors, only one returning starter (a junior) and the rest freshmen and sophomores. Although Foles only was sacked 23 times to 560 pass attempts, it's misleading because of the spread offense the Wildcats ran where the mission was the get rid of the ball quickly.

Even with that scheme, Foles took a pounding and was forced to scramble more than the statuesque quarterback likely wanted to. He suffered rib, knee and hand injuries and the Wildcats finished 4-8 despite Foles' toughness and gaudy passing stats.

"We saw great tougheness from him in college," then-Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told Shutdown Corner, "and he showed that same toughness when we threw him in there in a tough spot."

In Foles' rookie season with a lost Philadelphia Eagles team that was floundering to a 4-12 finish, they turned to the rookie with seven games remaining in the season, and Foles once more was tenderized like a cheap cut of beef: 20 sacks and umpteen hits in 285 dropbacks. He had games with four, five and six sacks apiece and yet still finished with his best games in two of his final three starts.

"I've always felt like there's going to be change up front, and I've gotten used to that," Foles told Shutdown Corner after Tuesday's practice. "It's my job to help get those guys ready to do their job so I can do mine. That way we're working hand in hand."

Consider the Eagles' starting offensive line combinations with Foles under center last season. There were a whopping five different permutations in his nine starts in 2014:

Week 1 Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Herremans, Barbre
Week 2 Peters, Kelly, Kelce, Herremans, Gardner
Week 3 Peters, Kelly, Kelce, Herremans, Gardner
Week 4 Peters, Tobin, Molk, Kelly, Herremans
Week 5 Peters, Tobin, Molk, Herremans, Johnson
Week 6 Peters, Tobin, Molk, Herremans, Johnson
Week 8 Peters, Tobin, Molk, Herremans, Johnson
Week 9 Peters, Tobin, Kelce, Herremans, Johnson

"We had a ton of injuries last season," Foles said. "We had to mix and match every week. So doing this here in training camp is really no different. You just have to rally around one other. There is a positive to it."

A broken collarbone in Week 9, his final start for the Eagles, knocked him out for good. In the offseason, Chip Kelly shipped him — along with a draft-pick swap — for Sam Bradford in one of the more interesting offseason trades. Then the Rams went to work on the rest of the offense. No unit saw more change, though, than on the offensive line.

They drafted Rob Havenstein in Round 2 and Jamon Brown in Round 3, and those could be your starting right tackle and right guard, respectively, in Week 1 against — gulp — the Seattle Seahawks. At center, Barnes took the first-team reps on Tuesday, and Jones and Rhaney each will get their runs with the ones on ensuing days, keeping with the pattern that Jeff Fisher and the offensive coaches have set since the start of camp.

Does Foles have trouble adjusting to a new style of center exchange every day?

"I've been in that situation before," he said. "You have to do what you have to do to find the right guy. All three [centers] are tough, know the offense and are battling for that spot. They have different styles, but it hasn't affected me, the exchange, the calls. It's been smooth."

Left tackle Greg Robinson, the No. 2 pick in the draft, could be a star, but he had a slow-developing rookie season in which he was tried at guard and tackle. Now is his chance to harness his athletic ability and prove his worth. It's likely, as of now that Rodger Saffold — who has played both tackle and guard spots — will be the left guard. That means all five spots could be different from one year ago.

Trying to slow down the Rams' fearsome defensive front is a daily chore, and it reportedly was a bit ugly in OTAs. But the group held its own in Tuesday's practice, especially in terms of pass blocking, as Robinson gave Robert Quinn a few nice battles. Saffold said he's seen development occur, and he's doing his part as the veteran member up front to offer any guidance he can.

"I see myself as the veteran guy, the glue up front," Saffold said. "Most of these guys haven't been here long. The good news is that they're not afraid to ask for help. The rookies, we talk a lot with them, show them things and try to get it right before we get on the field. It's a process."

Brown has caught the staff's eye. The 340-pound mauler comes from a pro-style system at Lousville and says he's just trying to win a job and show the coaches he can make strides with each day and week, even with a different face on either side of him at any point.

"It's tough, but it's not like our expectations change based on who is playing at any given moment," Brown said. "We still expect perfect execution no matter who is in there. The bar is set very high with the coaches, and I just want to live up to that. We have a high ceiling."

Foles has commanded practices, team sources say, since the day he stepped on the field. Watching him in practice, you can see him visit with almost every group — the backs, the receivers, the O-linemen — after a given play or a drill and just keep the lines of communication.

"I see that as part of my job description," Foles said. "That’s how I am. I am going to be aggressive in practice. I am going to test everything and everyone. Mistakes don’t bother me right now because I’d rather have mistakes happen here, on the practice field. When you correct those mistakes here, you build a relationship and a trust. That’s my big thing."

And though Foles can come across as guarded around the media or in public, dry even, his communication skills open up when it's just the players.

"He’s just extremely boisterous," Saffold said. "He’s also a Philly guy, or he was. Maybe that’s it. He’s good with the guys, but he’s young himself — you forget that sometimes. He’s all over the place."

Even defensive end Chris Long can't help but notice the Foles effect.

"He’s a poised guy, and the offense really seems to gravitate to him," Long said.

There are jobs to win and a pecking order to determine at wide receiver. Tight end requires more clarity and depth established. We're still waiting for Todd Gurley to hit the field, which could require some patience. But no Rams unit on offense is being more closely watched than the offensive line, which will be extremely young and inexperienced no matter how it shakes out.

Foles, for one, believes the group will come together in time — even with a tough early schedule that starts with the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks and that aggressive front.

"They’re getting more comfortable, especially the rookies. Things are slowing down. They’re going against a darned good defensive line. Those linebackers and defensive linemen don’t hold back," Foles said. "I'll see the 'Mike' linebacker come on a wraparound blitz and the safeties rocking and rolling, and those guys pick it up. They're making the mental and the physical adjustments we need to be successful."

Last edited:

rdw

Pro Bowler
Great article and wish we could get more stuff like that from the PD

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Foles makes sense. It takes more than a good line to have protection. The QB has to know when to get rid of the ball, how to move around the pocket and when to just tuck it and run. The RB and TE has to help with the blitzes. WR's have to know when to come back for the ball when the QB is in trouble. Its a concerted team effort. I never thought the seahawks had a good line, yet they score enough to win most games.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Great article and wish we could get more stuff like that from the PD

I like the third party reports better. Cause the coaches and players say the same things every year. They always remind me of Brendan Fraser's interviews in that movie Bedazzled.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Foles took a pounding and was forced to scramble more than the statuesque quarterback likely wanted to. He suffered rib, knee and hand injuries and the Wildcats finished 4-8 despite Foles' toughness and gaudy passing stats.
Foles is pretty damn tough...Saw as much...have said it before...stands in there and will take his medicine....did see some cracks last year...Started to see the rush....And that Philly line up there...every one of them, looks good on paper....but his play action deep ball is special...Still need to hear reports of him finding 2nd & 3rd options more smoothly...So this is really a learning year for him...Hope Cig & Weinke can get him right.
As I said on the Saffold thread, we need this guy to be a leader of this group...Damn I like what I'm hearing about Brown....
The sooner we stop the center rotation the better...I don't think Barnes can play....There I said it Coach....He can't...the stuff he was doing in Seattle in 2013...Just not pro-like...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll get back to you when the real bullets fly.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
The sooner we stop the center rotation the better...I don't think Barnes can play....There I said it Coach....He can't...the stuff he was doing in Seattle in 2013...Just not pro-like...

I've said it before on this forum. If anyone is basing their opinion of Barnes on the Seattle game in 2013, then they are looking at things through a very skewed, tainted, tiny window. In that game, the line actually played pretty good in the first half and it was a close game. It was in the second half when everything went wrong with injuries and substitutions that left Barnes as the only starter in their original position on the OL in the second half. That line was completely makeshift with no continuity going against a DL that was on it's way to a Super Bowl.

Barnes played in 5 games in 2014 and received 2 game balls for his play. Will he win the job this season, who knows, but don't unjustly criticize him for a situation that for the most part was out of his control.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who said the line was in chaos? It seems pretty clear what we're going to do. The only position that's up for grabs is center. I'd hardly say that qualifies as chaos.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LACHAMP46 of two minds(3 in a pinch):
Still need to hear reports of him finding 2nd & 3rd options more smoothly...So this is really a learning year for him...Hope Cig & Weinke can get him right.

As I said on the Saffold thread, we need this guy to be a leader of this group...Damn I like what I'm hearing about Brown....

Like others, I'll reserve judgement about Foles until I see him in a real game. But, he's already looking better than Hill and Davis did last year so it's already looking like an upgrade.

I'm liking everything I hear about Brown too. (y) :) :banana:

Stop the rotation where though? The only even slightly positive thing I've heard about any of them was directed towards Rhaney. Talk about raw. Does Jones even sound like a decent swing tackle/backup guard to you? If he's getting routinely walked back to the QB on bull rushes at center how does that bode well at any other position? Neither Barnes nor Jones seem to have the functional strength needed to start anywhere. maybe they'll look better later in the process. Maybe. My fears that I've been harping about concerning all of last years backup O-liners seems prophetic now. Unfortunately. :(

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO each Center offers something different and we've been reading about it for months.
  1. Tim Barnes is the most experience and should be the best at the shotgun snap because of coming from a spread, however, can he hold up at the point of attack especially with a big ugly right in his grill?
  2. Barrett Jones this is the guy most of us want to win the battle because of the pedigree alone, however, what he accomplished at the collegiate level at this point does not matter. Jones must prove he's durable and strong enough to hold up week in and week out, but his greatest strength comes from the cerebral aspect of making the proper line calls and adjustments.
  3. Demetrius Rhaney is the most athletic and might be the answer long term, however, will have to show well in preseason IMO to beat out both Barnes and Jones.
  4. David Wang...Again I just wanted to post Wang if for no other reason.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My money's on Wang!....
provocative-woman-6793584.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Like others, I'll reserve judgement about Foles until I see him in a real game. But, he's already looking better than Hill and Davis did last year so it's already looking like an upgrade.

I'm liking everything I hear about Brown too. (y) :) :banana:

Stop the rotation where though? The only even slightly positive thing I've heard about any of them was directed towards Rhaney. Talk about raw. Does Jones even sound like a decent swing tackle/backup guard to you? If he's getting routinely walked back to the QB on bull rushes at center how does that bode well at any other position? Neither Barnes nor Jones seem to have the functional strength needed to start anywhere. maybe they'll look better later in the process. Maybe. My fears that I've been harping about concerning all of last years backup O-liners seems prophetic now. Unfortunately. :(

I read all these articles on this center battle Alan...I hear many of them blogging on how Barnes & Jones being walked back/ destroyed by our DT's. Our 3 main DT's just happen to be all very high first round draft picks with many many starts. This is not a surprise to me:shades:.
Rams have two super sized starting OG's in a full two shoulder/armed 335 pound Saffold & a fresh girthy 340 pound Brown, who's main job is to neutralize DT's like the Rams & the rest of the NFL have starting.

We know that many teams attacked our dinky super weak Scott Wells way under 300 pound OC over & over again last season. We also saw where more often than not Davin Joseph offer zero help:palm: in those type of attacks such as that. It was just pitiful & painful to watch Joseph/Wells duo.

We all know Boudreau demands much in the way of brain power from his centers over brawn. Brockers will destroy most all NFL centers in one on one drills period. I am still looking forward to seeing how this interior OL melts together in pure team work OL play. I am very positive that either one Barnes/Jones will be just fine as our new Rams center with Brown & Saffold for a fine trio.(y)

I will continue to maintain that Barrett Jones can be a very good versatile dressed game day reserve fulfilling the Mike Person 2014 role of last season with overall improvement game after game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess is the center rotation goes on for two preseason games. Players who do not perform well will in the games will see their way out of the battle. My bet is on Rhaney, still on his hype train, and Jones is the last one he beats out. Barnes could be on the first roster cuts along with the Wang.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We all know who our decision makers are when its concerning why we did'nt pick up a FA OC or at least draft one of the bigger power centers still available in round 6 this past season. Yes we've heard Rhaney is pushing up 400 lb bench presses. I fully believe our weightroom trainers accounts are involved in our decision. I'm all about waiting till one guy is chosen and gets a steady stream of work. Everyone who has read my posts knows my greatest fear is our pivot position this year. Especially with the injuries we've been having year after year. Just call me CHICKEN LITTLE and make me a new avatar. I'm a 50 year RAM fan and I've seen the best centers in football in Horns. I'm just very concerned with what we have to work with along with a new QB also counting on a clean pocket. Thats why every practice report is like gold to me personally. Thanks guys.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I read all these articles on this center battle Alan...I hear many of them blogging on how Barnes & Jones being walked back/ destroyed by our DT's. Our 3 main DT's just happen to be all very high first round draft picks with many many starts. This is not a surprise to me:shades:.
Rams have two super sized starting OG's in a full two shoulder/armed 335 pound Saffold & a fresh girthy 340 pound Brown, who's main job is to neutralize DT's like the Rams & the rest of the NFL have starting.

Agree with you Bonifay! And everyone needs to remember that all those blogging about the centers being pushed back were talking about practices when they were in helmets and jerseys. Of course the DL is going to look great as the OL is basically trying to block with both hands tied behind their back. You can't judge the OL until the pads are on.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam trying to give me reasons not to PANIC:

We know that many teams attacked our dinky super weak Scott Wells way under 300 pound OC over & over again last season. We also saw where more often than not Davin Joseph offer zero help:palm: in those type of attacks such as that. It was just pitiful & painful to watch Joseph/Wells duo.

We all know Boudreau demands much in the way of brain power from his centers over brawn. Brockers will destroy most all NFL centers in one on one drills period. I am still looking forward to seeing how this interior OL melts together in pure team work OL play. I am very positive that either one Barnes/Jones will be just fine as our new Rams center with Brown & Saffold for a fine trio.(y)

I will continue to maintain that Barrett Jones can be a very good versatile dressed game day reserve fulfilling the Mike Person 2014 role of last season with overall improvement game after game.
I'm not an expert by any means Bonifay but looking at one on ones from my perspective I can see the huge advantage that should be for the D-liner...when trying to go around the O-liner. I can't see how the advantage translates on bull rushes though. Maybe you could explain that to me. Without getting too technical. :LOL: But it isn't just the the one on ones where it's happening. Good point about the caliber of our D-liners and I'm taking that into account but lots of teams have very good D-liners too even if they aren't quite as good as ours.

Your point about Wells is good but then I keep going back to the fact that none of them could unseat him for the starting position and that says a lot to me. Many thought that was mainly or partially due to Fisher loving his vets but if what you hear him saying this year is to be believed, that wasn't the reason.

Brains are great. I have brains and you have brains but having brains is probably not that advantageous when you're lying on your back trying to direct traffic even when you're this guy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpy-R4o-zv0

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My guess is the center rotation goes on for two preseason games. Players who do not perform well will in the games will see their way out of the battle. My bet is on Rhaney, still on his hype train, and Jones is the last one he beats out. Barnes could be on the first roster cuts along with the Wang.

I would say that for OL coach Paul Boudreau to turn his offensive line calls over to first year center would be highly unusual & would shock me completely.:seizure:

Boudreau has a long, long long did I say long history of going with used up OL'er, taped together Ol'ers, refurbished retreaded OL'ers & well traveled WWC's over fresh youthful inexperience OL'ers. I am not saying I like this..... just stating the facts of Boudreau long history. Barnes can also play both OG posts & has for yrs played the third OT in goal line formations.

Boudreau biggest issue in his 2015 OL is near empty on experience. His dashboard reading gauge on experience is blinking red!

It would be hard for me to see Boudreau cast off his most experienced center, plus 3rd most experienced OL'er on the team & his best #6 OL for the past two seasons. :confused: for a center with zero game experience.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The only even slightly positive thing I've heard about any of them was directed towards Rhaney. Talk about raw.
Exactly....see below.
  1. Tim Barnes is the most experience (so?)and should be the best (objection, speculation)at the shotgun snap because of coming from a spread, however, can he hold up at the point of attack especially with a big ugly right in his grill?
  2. Barrett Jones this is the guy most of us want (not me) to win the battle because of the pedigree alone, however, what he accomplished at the collegiate level at this point does not matter(truth at last) Jones must prove he's durable and strong enough to hold up week in and week out,(I'll take one day at earth city) but his greatest strength comes from the cerebral aspect of making the proper line calls and adjustments (objection, SPECULATION !)
  3. Demetrius Rhaney is the most athletic and might SHOULD (fixed that for ya) be the answer long term, however, will have to show well in preseason IMO to beat out both Barnes and Jones.
Time to just scrap Barnes & Jones if after the first preseason game, they are exposed and allow pressure that many/most have seen in camp....Barnes has done that before...In game besides the Seahawk game that I described above....Time to get Rhaney ready...and he'll need ALL the reps to do this....
@BonifayRam said so eloquently:
It would be hard for me to see Boudreau cast off his most experienced center, plus 3rd most experienced OL'er on the team & his best #6 OL for the past two seasons. :confused: for a center with zero game experience.
But Boni, it's the right thing to do...Pressure up the middle is the easiest way to blow up a play.....the guard can help with the line calls.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would say that for OL coach Paul Boudreau to turn his offensive line calls over to first year center would be highly unusual & would shock me completely.:seizure:

Boudreau has a long, long long did I say long history of going with used up OL'er, taped together Ol'ers, refurbished retreaded OL'ers & well traveled WWC's over fresh youthful inexperience OL'ers. I am not saying I like this..... just stating the facts of Boudreau long history. Barnes can also play both OG posts & has for yrs played the third OT in goal line formations.

Boudreau biggest issue in his 2015 OL is near empty on experience. His dashboard reading gauge on experience is blinking red!

You're acting like there is a huge difference in experience between the three. Barnes has what 4 career starts? Also it's Fishers call and history to worry about not coach Boudreaux. And Fisher just said there was no problem starting young OLinemen.