Nick Foles Evaluation/Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping Foles plays like Smith. I'm not at all saying that their games are similar. We aren't built to turn the ball over at the rate he did last year. We are built to play defense and run the ball and not turn the ball over. I think he needs to work on his decision making. Judging by his game against us his decision making was poor.
Okay I can see where you're going with that. I do think that you have to let a guy like foles loose a little bit more than smith though

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm hoping Foles plays like Smith. I'm not at all saying that their games are similar. We aren't built to turn the ball over at the rate he did last year. We are built to play defense and run the ball and not turn the ball over. I think he needs to work on his decision making. Judging by his game against us his decision making was poor.

That's the point I'm trying to make, too. He won't, IMO, be asked to do what Flacco does. However, he might be asked to run an O efficiently and has the ability to alleviate pressure off the run game by having the opportunity to pass deep.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't see Alex Smith at all, tbh. Much larger frame, bigger arm, and more of a gunslinger than a game manager. First guy that pops into mind for me is Joe Flacco.

I don't see the arm strength of a Flacco or Bradford. Alex Smith is a solid comparison I think. I hope he looks after the ball, plays smart and uses his mobility on occasion to stretch plays and keep the play alive. I think he can be a really good fit for us actually.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Alex Smith at all, tbh. Much larger frame, bigger arm, and more of a gunslinger than a game manager. First guy that pops into mind for me is Joe Flacco.

He's not Flacco imo. Flacco has a cannon. Foles's arm is averageish. IMO, he's currently post elbow injury Carson Palmer(which caused Palmer to go from having a strong arm to averageish arm strength).(So Palmer from 2009 to now)

He has the potential to be more than that if he shores up his footwork and shows more consistency under pressure...if that happens, he can be like prime Matt Schaub or Matt Ryan.

FRO

Legend
He's not Flacco imo. Flacco has a cannon. Foles's arm is averageish. IMO, he's currently post elbow injury Carson Palmer(which caused Palmer to go from having a strong arm to averageish arm strength).(So Palmer from 2009 to now)

He has the potential to be more than that if he shores up his footwork and shows more consistency under pressure...if that happens, he can be like prime Matt Schaub or Matt Ryan.
Good call on the 2009+ version of Palmer. I don't think he has the tools of Ryan, but Schaub is a good call too.

I just hope he wasn't a product of the system in Philadelphia.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good call on the 2009+ version of Palmer. I don't think he has the tools of Ryan, but Schaub is a good call too.

I just hope he wasn't a product of the system in Philadelphia.

Ryan's physical tools aren't impressive(underwhelming mobility, average arm strength, etc.). He's just a smart, instinctive, and accurate QB. Keep in mind that the knock on young Matt Ryan was that he was a poor deep thrower. Which is one of the big knocks on Foles.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you watch his highlights there is one thing that he does regularly, that I wish Sam had done more often....Pump fakes.

jjab360

Legend
If you watch his highlights there is one thing that he does regularly, that I wish Sam had done more often....Pump fakes.
Those big 10 5/8" paws he calls hands help with that. Not sure if that's the biggest in the league, but it's gotta be close.

jjab360

Legend

I really wouldn't say his arm is average, but I agree that it's not Flacco's. The rest of the package, physically and mentally is strikingly similar though. Exact same size, similar mechanics though Flacco's more consistent, regularly take chances on 50/50 balls, extreme runs of hot and cold, etc.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those big 10 5/8" paws he calls hands help with that. Not sure if that's the biggest in the league, but it's gotta be close.

It's close. I know Mallett and Logan Thomas both have slightly bigger hands.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really wouldn't say his arm is average, but I agree that it's not Flacco's. The rest of the package, physically and mentally is strikingly similar though. Exact same size, similar mechanics though Flacco's more consistent, regularly take chances on 50/50 balls, extreme runs of hot and cold, etc.

It's average. Seems like people tend to overstate the arm strength of tall QBs. Might be because of their height, they can throw passes with less arc.

But Foles's arm strength is nothing special. He doesn't have Flacco's or even Bradford's arm strength.

ram007

Starter
Just going through some of his QBs in TN;

McNair-Mobile. Dynamic.
VY-Had the potential to be McNair-like but wasted it.
Collins-Pocket passer.

VY is a PITA but 31-19 as a starter. VY and Fisher got along, fisher would still be coaching Titans.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My unprofessional opinion:

Foles is essentially a slightly younger version of Bradford with some injury history that isn't as significant as Bradford's, but still is worthy of slight concern. Additionally, he might be slightly less mobile than Bradford and less accurate, but should fit the similar mold of what I think Fisher wants in a QB- a passer who won't turn over the ball, makes smart decisions, and has the arm strength to make long passes when needed.

Less accurate?

Oh cmon.

ram007

Starter
Nick Foles should learn to set his feet when he is moved from his original spot in the pocket. If he does it, we got a great QB.

TexasRam

Legend
Foles like Alex Smith?

No.

Foles is NOT a game manager and he isn't afraid to throw the ball down field. He may not be a burner but he's very athletic. Having been a Good basketball player.

He also moves around in the pocket real nifty and doesn't buckle under pressure.

2 areas the he improves over Bradford are his downfield first mentality and his coolness under pressure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles like Alex Smith?

No.

Foles is NOT a game manager and he isn't afraid to throw the ball down field. He may not be a burner but he's very athletic. Having been a Good basketball player.

He also moves around in the pocket real nifty and doesn't buckle under pressure.

2 areas the he improves over Bradford are his downfield first mentality and his coolness under pressure.

In 2013? To a degree. In 2014? Not at all.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
My unprofessional opinion:

Foles is essentially a slightly younger version of Bradford with some injury history that isn't as significant as Bradford's, but still is worthy of slight concern. Additionally, he might be slightly less mobile than Bradford and less accurate, but should fit the similar mold of what I think Fisher wants in a QB- a passer who won't turn over the ball, makes smart decisions, and has the arm strength to make long passes when needed.

Less mobile? Are you serious? Less accurate too? I don't see it. I think Sam may have a stronger arm but Nick's got a nicer touch on the ball. He can and does through an accurate long ball. Sam runs (which isn't often) like a big lummox. He was never a threat with his legs. I love Sam and was totally shocked by the trade, but I REALLY think we will be better off with Foles.