Nick Foles Evaluation/Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
2012 NFL.com Scouting Analysis:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nick-foles?id=2532842

OVERVIEW
Foles has been a productive signal caller for Arizona over three years as a starter and has the arm strength and size that garners first-day consideration for teams looking to fill a void at quarterback. He is a mechanically sound passer who has a solid release. In a different year, it's possible that Foles could be vying for the top quarterback spot; he is hit with hard luck by being in the middle of a quarterback-laden class. He is a big-time leader who rarely gets rattled. Foles' athletic ability will be a concern to some, and while he is projected as more of a "game manager" type, his skill set comes together nicely so he should be at least a serviceable starter at the next level. If teams can fall in love with his arm strength, he could be selected as early as the second round to develop and become an eventual starter.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Foles has a strong arm that gets him through various other hitches in his game. There are times when Foles throws the deep, cross-field out-route while on his back foot (and facing pressure) accurately and with ease. While not the most athletic quarterback, he is aware in the pocket to avoid pressure and has a good sense of how and when to extend a play to his advantage. As a deep passer he has strength but can struggle with accuracy at times. His accuracy is evident in his short to intermediate throws, where he can put it right on a receiver or lead him fluidly in stride. He would be more valuable in a West Coast scheme where could make quick decisions and not be forced to unleash deep throws on a consistent basis. He is an excellent game manager for moving the ball in bunches up the field. He is extremely poised in the pocket and rarely lets a heavy pass rush rattle his throws.
WEAKNESSES
Mobility has been the Achilles heel for Foles and will likely continue to be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend, but he is not going to out-run any defenders at the next level. This can sometimes effect his set-up, as it can be uncoordinated at times, although rarely affects his actual pass. There are times when the ball can get away from him when throwing deep, and he has struggled with accuracy there. His release is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball is somewhat questioned, as he can be slow to get rid of the ball and scramble into trouble.

Nick Foles 2013 Highlights:

Statistics:

2d5f2f54c6beabb62fc23fca77595a38.png

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My unprofessional opinion:

Foles is essentially a slightly younger version of Bradford with some injury history that isn't as significant as Bradford's, but still is worthy of slight concern. Additionally, he might be slightly less mobile than Bradford and less accurate, but should fit the similar mold of what I think Fisher wants in a QB- a passer who won't turn over the ball, makes smart decisions, and has the arm strength to make long passes when needed.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
the irony in all this is now Bradford is headline news but nothing on Foles today now that he's a Ram.

FRO

Legend
My unprofessional opinion:

Foles is essentially a slightly younger version of Bradford with some injury history that isn't as significant as Bradford's, but still is worthy of slight concern. Additionally, he might be slightly less mobile than Bradford and less accurate, but should fit the similar mold of what I think Fisher wants in a QB- a passer who won't turn over the ball, makes smart decisions, and has the arm strength to make long passes when needed.
Bradford has better tools. Foles will take more chances, something I wish Sam would have done more. I think the hope is Foles can be Alex Smith.

rams2050

Starter
Anyway, I'm thrilled with the move. What good are tools if you're limping around on one leg? Plus, Foles may have a greater upside. We don't know yet how he'll do in the Rams' system.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Bradford has better tools. Foles will take more chances, something I wish Sam would have done more. I think the hope is Foles can be Alex Smith.

I think Bradford took chances, but maybe some problems re:going deep were due to the WRs at the time.

And yeah, I think Foles, at best, will end up being a better version of Alex Smith. Not as mobile or accurate, but a stronger time and willing to take risks when needed.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It has nothing to do with his ability, but he's listed at #9 on the Rams roster on their website. Isn't that Davis' number?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I was thinking something along these lines just today. Foles to me is a lot like Alex Smith, but with more ability to get the ball down field. Foles isn't a guy we want throwing the ball 50 times a game. But in a well structured offense, he should be just fine to very good. The one good thing we have going in this whole thing is basically he is getting a tryout ... at a lot less $$$ than we were paying. He will either show us that he deserves another contarct OR .. we will be able to walk away (with another 2nd Rd. pick) and take a QB next yr.

I think this is going to be interesting. I have been a big Bradford supporter over his time in the Horns .... but I have to admit ... all things considered ($$$, injuries) I was leaning towards moving away anyways. I really had no want to give up what it would probably take to get either Winston or Mariota ..... so this was the best Plan B, IMHO.

jjab360

Legend
I think Bradford took chances, but maybe some problems re:going deep were due to the WRs at the time.

And yeah, I think Foles, at best, will end up being a better version of Alex Smith. Not as mobile or accurate, but a stronger time and willing to take risks when needed.
I don't see Alex Smith at all, tbh. Much larger frame, bigger arm, and more of a gunslinger than a game manager. First guy that pops into mind for me is Joe Flacco.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Smith is the opposite of foles I think. Smith is a check down machine who won't dare threaten you deep. Foles should check down a bit more

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Alex Smith at all, tbh. Much larger frame, bigger arm, and more of a gunslinger than a game manager. First guy that pops into mind for me is Joe Flacco.
Perfect comparison

Lesson

Oh, really?

I've heard him compared to Flacco, too. But I'm referring to more or less what I think will be expected of him in this offense. I don't think a QB airing it out a lot is what Fisher wants. IMO, the QBs who probably fit the bill as to what he wants in a QB in terms of running an O can be seen in Dalton, Wilson, Bradford, Ryan, and Smith. Game managers who can you put in a position to succeed. I think Foles can do that while also taking a bit more of a risk.

FRO

Legend
Doesn't have near the arm strength of a Flacco. His arm strength is functional, but not great.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I can agree with this ^ Good comparison. I do think he is a bit more mobile than Flacco though

FRO

Legend
Smith is the opposite of foles I think. Smith is a check down machine who won't dare threaten you deep. Foles should check down a bit more
I'm hoping Foles plays like Smith. I'm not at all saying that their games are similar. We aren't built to turn the ball over at the rate he did last year. We are built to play defense and run the ball and not turn the ball over. I think he needs to work on his decision making. Judging by his game against us his decision making was poor.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Just going through some of his QBs in TN;

McNair-Mobile. Dynamic.
VY-Had the potential to be McNair-like but wasted it.
Collins-Pocket passer.