Nice write up on the crack-back toss that we're using more of now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Find out how NFL teams make the crack toss play succeed
Tosscrack1edited.jpg

By Ted Nguyen | Posted 9/28/2017
The toss isn’t a new concept, but it seems that it’s starting to make a bit of comeback as more and more teams have started using it again. The toss play isn’t one that is used often, but it’s great against a defense that is too focused on playing the inside run. Sometimes it's necessary to run just to loosen up the defense.
If you’re going to do it, do it right. A well-executed “crack toss” play usually results in a big play. For the play to work, you need a couple of receivers that aren’t afraid to get physical with guys in the box, a tackle that can move in space, and a back with a little speed.
We’ll take a look at few different variations of the play at the NFL level from the Oakland Raiders, Atlanta Falcons and Los Angeles Rams. Each of these teams have some of the youngest and brightest offensive coordinators in the league, and it’s interesting to see how they put their own twist on this old concept.
Tosscrackone

Each of these variations have a few things in common:
  • The play starts with the quarterback taking a reverse pivot and tossing the ball outside to the running back.
  • There are two “crack” blocks from perimeter players. A crack block is when a player lined up outside blocks a player in the box for an outside run. These blocks are usually big collisions because defenders don’t see these blocks coming at them at full speed until it’s too late.
  • At least one tackle pulls outside.
  • There isn’t much attention paid to interior defensive linemen. The theory is that the interior defensive line is too slow to make a play on the toss.
Oakland Raiders Crack Toss

The Raiders offense is in 11 personnel and are in a bunch formation on third-and-short. The Titans defense is in a man-to-man coverage, which will turn out to be advantageous for the offense. The slot receiver Seth Roberts (No. 10) has the most vital block, as he has to crack the defensive end. He makes an excellent block and stalemates a defender that outweighs him by at least 50 pounds.
Michael Crabtree (No. 15), the receiver outside of him, cracks the defensive back that is playing man-to-man on Roberts. Crabtree essentially blocks two defenders because the defensive back that is playing man-to-man on him follows him outside and takes himself out of the play.
This allows tight end Jared Cook (No. 87) and tackle Marshall Newhouse (No. 73) to pull outside in space and lead the way for Jared Richard, who converts the critical third down.
Atlanta Falcons Crack Toss

The Falcons ran the crack toss over and over in the first half of the Super Bowl to help build a 28-3 lead. We all know what happened to the lead, but that’s what we are focused on.
The Falcons start out in a tight right broken-I strong twins left formation, but the fullback motions out wide to the twins side. The New England Patriots corner follows the fullback outside, which makes it more difficult for him to make a play on the toss.
The slot receiver, Mohamed Sanu (No. 12), cracks the defensive end like in the Raiders example. The difference with this toss is that the outside receiver, Julio Jones (No. 11), is responsible for cracking the inside linebacker, which he does exceptionally.
This allows the tackle to pull around and leaves him one-on-one with a defensive back. The tackle throws a cut block that is just good enough for the running back to cut the play back and use his athletic ability to make a play in the open field.
Los Angeles Rams Crack Toss
Ramstosscrack

When a team is in shotgun, defenses will overplay the side away from the running backs alignment, because that’s where the ball is run a majority of the time. Defense linemen will step toward the opposite side of the back’s alignment, but when the ball is tossed toward the side of the back’s alignment, they’ll be out of position to defend the toss.

Remember when I said the theory behind not paying much attention to interior defensive linemen is that they shouldn’t be able to make a play on the toss anyway? That doesn’t apply to Aaron Donald (No. 99). Donald is in a 4i technique and the Redskins try to block reach him with a guard. This is a hard block on a normal defender, but an impossible one against Donald.
Donald steps in the opposite direction of the running back, but is still able to redirect and almost intercepts the toss.
This toss is similar to the Falcons’ crack toss because the outside receiver, Terelle Pryor (No. 11), has to crack the inside linebacker, but instead of going directly at him, he pushes vertically and then takes an angle to crack him. This freezes the defensive back in place and allows for an easier block for the pulling tackle.
The superb blocking on this play clears a lane outside for the running back to finish for a touchdown.
Follow Ted Nguyen on Twitter at @raidersanalysis
Want to see more content like this? Check out our Coaches Notes feature.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Though it looks like the writer confuses the Redskins with the Rams in this one!!! But at least we get a shout out to AD there. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It also fits the outside zone type backs really well, i.e. Gurley who can turn a seam into a big gain. Henderson as well.

But the other thing here is we saw the Saints leave big gaps on the interior in order to deter the outside zone game of the Rams, and for any teams that plan to do that vs the Rams this season there are two ways to combat that in the run game. One is the pitch type plays the Rams have been utilizing. The other is more inside zone.

IMO the Rams should institute more inside zone runs in their offense. Reason they haven't is probably because of the young interior, that plus Blythe isn't good at working upfield (on the inside zones they take a step but can't string things along as much as they can on the outside zone runs, so a lineman being able to work upfield can be helpful in providing separation that leads to consistent holes). But they have a physical Center, and a young OT they can plug in there who is smart and physical (Edwards), so I have to think if they were to plug him in at RG all of a sudden they might find an inside zone offering what they need in that run game.

Doing that would open up the outside zones a bit, no way teams are going to stack outside like that if they're gettin gut punched for 5+ every snap.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, I think our lack of inside zone even goes back as far as McVay has been here. I'm curious why we didn't run it more in '17 and '18. I suspect - for whatever reason - it may go beyond personnel. And it's not like we haven't run it but I think it's been very minimally.

If I had to naively guess, I wonder if we just can't/don't run enough play-action off inside zone so McVay doesn't like to use it as much as he can't set up the defense for bigger plays??

bluecoconuts

Legend
We've been running this play (pretty sure it's the crack toss) against the defensive fronts that imitate the Patriots. The Saints did that, and the Rams adjusted and started gaining chunk plays on them.

Basically McVay figured out how to beat that defense, so teams will need to figure out something else.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, I think our lack of inside zone even goes back as far as McVay has been here. I'm curious why we didn't run it more in '17 and '18. I suspect - for whatever reason - it may go beyond personnel. And it's not like we haven't run it but I think it's been very minimally.

If I had to naively guess, I wonder if we just can't/don't run enough play-action off inside zone so McVay doesn't like to use it as much as he can't set up the defense for bigger plays??
I have to think personnel factor in. Whit & Saff were a beastly tag team on the left on outside zone runs. Hav is excellent in the run on the right side.

Prior to this year Sully at center brought great protection calls and pass pro. But if you want to run inside the Rams line only had a plus option at LG with Saff.

At some point this season I would think that might change. And if it does it will help us greatly in the playoffs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Funny how Allen now seems to be the strength as a run blocker in the interior and Noteboom the weaker link. A flip of what we had with Saffold and Sully.