NFL owners could reportedly push for 18-game season during labor talks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think it's an absolutely horrible idea. To lose potential playoff spots because you had to sit more starters in a crucial game than the opponent. Stupid idea. The owners are willing to sacrifice the quality and integrity of the game for more profits.

I agree. What about a player who comes into a game and goes out after only 1 or 2 plays because of a slight muscle pull, is he and his team going to be penalized an entire game because he only had a couple snaps before coming out ? If the league really wants 18 regular season games, perhaps 3 BYES would be more appropriate, that would stretch out the season for another month and add 4 more weeks of additional television revenue. This also has the added effect of shortening our off-seasons rather significantly, something many of us wish for. jmo.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Ehh...every team would have to do it, and if you end up having to sit more starters in a crucial game, that's on you.

The only drawback I see to this is that you may buy tickets hoping to see a generational talent play and he ends up being rested - but it's the NFL, and players get hurt all the time, so that generational talent might be injured for the game you bought tickets for anyway.

So to me this is part of the problem with this idea. There are factors a coach will not be able to control that can put him right out of the playoffs. For example, the schedule. We all know some teams every year have tougher schedules than other teams. So if we have the tougher schedule than teams we play we'll have to strategize differently than a team with a weaker schedule. Which makes it unbalanced to me. Apples to oranges so to say. Also, some more food for thought, let me throw on my Conspiracy Theory hat. Is there potential for degrees of collusion? For example, a crappy team not in the playoff hunt can headhunt a playoff team. Not sitting any of their starters while knowing the playoff caliber team is probably sitting a lot. And that losing teams coach is a buddy with another potential playoff teams coach. Far fetched? Probably. Point is this idea opens up all kinds of possibilities.
It's not going to happen but it's a much better idea than you guys are giving it credit for.

It's like baseball with a pitching rotation. Think about the extra layer of strategy involved in a forced rotation. I think it could make the sport significantly more interesting, if not higher quality for those specific games.

My guess is there will be a compromise though. 17 regular season games with 2 bye weeks taking the current 17 week slate of competitive regular season football up to 19 weeks sounds pretty freaking good to me. The football season is so limited and I selfishly want more of it. At this point in the offseason, I'd watch a scrimmage between the Arkansas peewee champions and the london silly nannies if you televised it.
The problem with your Baseball analogy is those 16/18 Football games hold a LOT more season value than in baseball where you have 160 games. Like @XXXIVwin mentioned, we as fans love all the strategizing angles. At the same time though like @nighttrain mentioned, " it aint broke...."

I agree. What about a player who comes into a game and goes out after only 1 or 2 plays because of a slight muscle pull, is he and his team going to be penalized an entire game because he only had a couple snaps before coming out ? If the league really wants 18 regular season games, perhaps 3 BYES would be more appropriate, that would stretch out the season for another month and add 4 more weeks of additional television revenue. This also has the added effect of shortening our off-seasons rather significantly, something many of us wish for. jmo.
I agree that we all want a shorter offseason. Cause the offseason SUCKS!!!!! That being said I'm curious how everyone, players and fans, will feel about pushing the regular season and playoffs deeper into winter. Or on the flip side starting earlier than the second week of September, which means more hot weather games. Not sure how big a factor, if any, that would be.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree that we all want a shorter offseason. Cause the offseason SUCKS!!!!! That being said I'm curious how everyone, players and fans, will feel about pushing the regular season and playoffs deeper into winter. Or on the flip side starting earlier than the second week of September, which means more hot weather games. Not sure how big a factor, if any, that would be.

Well, ... should the NFL adopt an 18 game season while expanding to 3 BYES, thereby adding a month to the current regular NFL schedule, we can be pretty sure that the pre-season games will be cut by at least 2 of those present 4 games, so exchanging two pre-season games for 2 regular season games won't effect the overall schedule at all. The other two added games could be split with the 1'st game added to the August schedule while the final regular season game would be added to the 1'st week of January. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The other two added games could be split with the 1'st game added to the August schedule while the final regular season game would be added to the 1'st week of January. jmo.

Interesting.

Yep... IF they expand the season... the next question is when do things start and stop.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just spitballin’ here...

Regarding the 18 game sked with a 16 game max per player...

NFL could have a lottery system. Players with a certain number on their jersey would be designated as “out” that week. For example, in week 1, players with jersey numbers 12, 36, 48, 55, 73, and 92 would be “out”.

This way, all “out” players would be known ahead of time, before the season starts. Fans could buy tix to games knowing who the “designated scratch” players were for each game.

Obviously there would be strict rules against any players changing numbers. Just put some numbered ping-pong balls in a bowl and go for it. No multiple “clumps” of numbers would be allowed— for example, couldn’t have 63, 65, and 68 as “out” in the same week since they’d all be offensive linemen.

Benefits to this idea: decision making would be taken away from the teams and coaches, so the fans wouldn’t get twisted in knots “debating” the topic. All teams would be subject to the same rules. No team could “stockpile” their designated scratch players, they’d all have to be spread out evenly through the season. Punters, kickers, and long snappers could all be exempt and required to play all 18 games?

Just spitballin an idea... it’s a long offseason...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Players miss games because of wear and tear. It's part of the game. But a plan that intentionally has players - including the best ones - sit, so that the owners can make more money at the expense of quality of play, is a horrible way to treat the fans. As has been brought up in this thread, adding a bye week which would increase tv revenue while actually allowing players to rest without forcing teams to go without their best healthy players makes sense. The supposed owners' plan is idiotic. I doubt they actually want it - it's a proposal that can be compromised on, so they can get a concession elsewhere.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ule-with-a-16-game-limit-could-actually-work/

NFL 2019: Here's why the proposed 18-game schedule with a 16-game limit could actually work

Let's unpack the reported proposal from NFL owners to expand the regular-season schedule to 18 games with a 16-game limit for all players. There's a lot to sort through, and after the same reaction of visceral disgust you might've had to it, I've come to realize it's a good idea. Let me explain.

First, one thing has to be made clear. Quarterbacks (and kickers/punters) would have to be exempt from the 16-game limit. There are not anywhere close to 32 competent passers in today's quarterback-driven NFL, and forcing backup quarterbacks onto the field would drastically damage the on-field product, which is good for exactly no one.

That point is so obvious I'm confident it'd quickly be thrown in by the owners, if the NFLPA asked for it. And quarterbacks would earn leverage to get paid even more. More games. More value. More money.

Other vital points to consider:

• Roster sizes would have to increase a great deal, and they almost assuredly would. A mandate for teams to utilize depth players throughout the season would necessitate it. The traditional 53-man roster simply wouldn't work anymore.
  • The current 16-game regular season is fine. Not perfect. But fine. The four-game preseason isn't ideal, and just about everyone agrees with that, including team presidents, owners, and league officials. We're probably very close to a two-game preseason being a reality.
  • An 18 (or maybe 17) game regular season with two fewer preseason games and an extra bye probably makes the most sense and would be the easiest new structure to enact logistical changes to the current schedule. The impact on statistical records could move the needle a bit with the powers that be, but it might not move enough for it to altogether stop the 18/16 schedule from passing.
Dispelling the main concern
The most common gripe with the 18/16 proposal centers around an idea that star players -- beyond quarterbacks -- would have to sit out games, potentially important ones late in the season.

That. Would. Be. Brutal.

But that thought essentially assumes players are available to play in all 16 games currently, and of course we all know that isn't remotely true.

You might be wondering how many players were actually available (or deemed good enough by their coaches) to play in every game last season. I have the exact number -- 31.4% (677 players out of 2,150 who played in at least one game).

So, whether it was due to suspension, poor play, or injury -- all of which happen every year -- 68.6% of NFL players failed to appear in all 16 regular-season games in 2018. In 2017, that figure was an even 69%. In 2016, it was 67.8%.

Therefore, everyone (besides quarterbacks) being forced to sit for what amounts to around 11 percent of the regular season isn't really asking much more than what already occurs. And the kicker is that it'd be a win-win for the league and NFLPA by way of player safety, a paramount issue for both sides. The 16-game limit would lead to dinged players not getting pushed onto the field by coaches as often -- something the NFLPA and NFL public relations department would love -- since they could use those weeks when they're dinged up as one of the mandatory games they'd have to sit out.

And every team adhering to the 16-game limit for non-quarterbacks would level the playing field on the injury front for each individual game. That's precisely what the active, 46-man game-day roster rule was implemented to achieve under the current format.

We'd all adjust

Anytime a major change is made to something that society uses every day or collectively adores, there's widespread snap overreaction. In most cases, as time passes, we adjust. Even if ticket sales decrease ever so slightly, the NFL is TV-deal dependent now anyway. More games. More money. Any dip in ratings would likely be negligible.

Also, the larger rosters would catalyze immense strategic developments regarding roster management.

Some teams might load up on offensive linemen. Others may acquire an abundance of edge rushers. Think about the possibilities for teams to take advantage of (and hope to counteract) specific one-on-one matchups with different players.

With an 18/16 schedule, the league would make more money, more players would get paid, and in general, they'd all probably be healthier throughout the season.

Fans would miss star players from opposing teams on occasion. And there'd be instances when healthy players would be forced to the bench. Those two inevitabilities prove this proposal has flaws. But after examining the logistics of it and changes it'd demand, there are good reasons to get behind an 18/16 schedule if it passed during the next CBA negotiations.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL Drops 18-Game Season Proposal and Will Move on to 17-Game Schedule

With the NFL's collective bargaining agreement (CBA) set to expire in 2020, the league and its players association are striving to agree upon a new labor deal in the near future.

Originally, these discussions were being used to absurdly inquire about expanding the regular season from 16 to 18 games. The proposal featured a component in which players would only be allowed to play in 16 of those games. To nobody's surprise, the NFLPA swiftly rejected the idea.

Flash forward a few months later, and the league itself has expunged their 18-game objective. Now, their efforts are focusing on broadening the regular season to 17 games whilst docking one or two preseason games in the process.

View: https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1177242893217685504?s=21

It has yet to be reported if this preposition will feature any extra dynamics as a means to persuade the NFLPA to get on board with the overture. Given their last outlandish motion, that will likely need to happen.

As we know, expanded roster sizes, a second bye, and the aforementioned limitations to how many contests players can play in a season are all bids that have been tossed around in recent owners meetings.

View: https://twitter.com/kaplansportsbiz/status/1177240497322115073?s=21

At this time, there's just no way to know if this particular consultation is standing on sturdy legs. This is a developing story, so stay tuned for future updates.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A 17 game schedule is idiotic. Half the league will have the advantage of 1 more home game than the rest of the league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Dropping one or even two pre-season games isn't a fair swap. Consider who plays 3/4 of those games. They are practice squad players, special teams players and players dueling for a starting spot at an open position. It's likely even more than 3/4 of the game. Starters get a series or two. If it's the Rams they get zero reps. So that doesn't equal a full game trade off for starting players. It doesn't even equal a full quarter. That's a lame proposal.

This would also mean games start a week or two earlier and in even hotter weather in August. That may be alright for younger players, but adding an extra game in hotter temps for veterans juste adds to injury risk. The season is long enough. The grind wears teams down. Survival of the fittest already plays a big role in how far teams make it to the big game.

Is there a proposal to increase the cap and adjust contracts for playing one more game too? The NFLPA could argue that adding another game or two will shorten the length of NFL starters careers, thus affecting their career earning totals.

Greedy owners need to let it be.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It feel like 17 games is splitting hairs and just a step to get to 18 eventually anyway.

My biggest beef w/17,18 games is the record books and how stats will make modern players appear better players compared to those before them. The career stats, etc. They all get asterisks, so to speak.

Brees is closing in on 80,000 passing yards. Stunning.

But...

Give him 2 extra games over 15-19 seasons... that’s another 6,000-10,000 he could have.

I dislike that. Someone will eventually pass him and the extra games clearly will benefit whoever does.