NFL owners could reportedly push for 18-game season during labor talks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...y-push-for-18-game-season-during-labor-talks/

Some NFL owners could reportedly push for 18-game season during labor talks
The NFLPA vehemently opposed expanding the regular season during the 2011 labor negotiations, could that change this time around?

Back in 2011, the last time the league and its players renegotiated the collective bargaining agreement, expanding the regular season from 16 to 18 games was brought to the table. It didn't happen then and we've heard little about it in recent years -- until now. With the current CBA set to expire in two years, some NFL owners want to revisit the 18-game schedule and even expanding the playoff field, reports the Washington Post's Mark Maske.

A high-ranking official with one NFL team said that there are "some owners who would like to expand the season" to 18 games, adding it's not clear "if there is much support from the players on that."

Unless there's been a drastic change among players, they'll almost certainly oppose the idea of an 18-game season, for the same reasons it was opposed in 2011: More football means increased likelihood of injury, and the potential increase in salary wouldn't offset that.

"[Players] don't see the positive tradeoff, the guys don't see it as something that is good for their careers, good for their bodies," NFLPA president Eric Winstontold the Dan Patrick Show in August 2018. ... "[The] cap is going to get tilted heavily to the star players." Winston said. "The people that I've talked to on how that money could be spread, wouldn't go to your role players, your middle-of-the-road guys."

As recently as Feb. 2017 NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that "I don't see big movement" in support of an extended regular season and added that the league wouldn't move forward without the support of the players.

Last September, Giants co-owner John Mara made it clear that the NFLPA wasn't interested.

"We were negotiating the CBA in 2011," Mara told the New York Post's Steve Serby at the time, via PFT. "Jerry Jones was in one of our meetings. We were on a break and we were about to go in and talk to the players about the schedule. He said, 'I want to try to sell them on the 18-game regular season.' And my response was, 'Jerry, they're adamantly opposed to that. You have no chance.' He says, 'I'll bet I can sell 'em on it.' I said, 'You sell them on the 18-game season, I will walk around Times Square for the week in a Dallas Cowboyssweatshirt.' He said, 'You're on.' We walked into the meeting room, and he barely got the words out of his mouth, and the players said: 'No way. That's a deal breaker. We'll walk out of here right now.' So I did not have to walk around Times Square wearing a Dallas Cowboys sweatshirt."

Meanwhile, Maske adds that it's not clear how many owners want an 18-game schedule but the expectation is that two more regular-season games would generate a significant revenue boost, and perhaps players could be convinced "by offering a reduction in preseason games, an increase in roster sizes and possibly other concessions."

And it's those other concessions that could ultimately determine whether we see an 18-game regular-season schedule.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
18 games.

1e0p66.jpg

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Two bye weeks, one being a mid season break. 60 man game day rosters, 16 game maximum for each player. Make it happen.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two bye weeks, one being a mid season break. 60 man game day rosters, 16 game maximum for each player. Make it happen.
Interesting that you put limit on the # of games. For QBs also? Who would want to watch the game when we start all of our 2nd stringers against the Niners for example? lolll

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Interesting that you put limit on the # of games. For QBs also? Who would want to watch the game when we start all of our 2nd stringers against the Niners for example? lolll
You don’t have to play all your starters together. One game you sub out Brandon Cooks for Hodge. That way you still have a good mix of higher tier players. I think it would make it more interesting because depth would be extremely important. The Rams have been a pretty top heavy team and that’s why our pre season team has been pretty much garbage.

Not to mention once you get in the playoffs if you do have an injury, you already have a little chemistry.

tempests

Hall of Fame
You don’t have to play all your starters together. One game you sub out Brandon Cooks for Hodge. That way you still have a good mix of higher tier players. I think it would make it more interesting because depth would be extremely important. The Rams have been a pretty top heavy team and that’s why our pre season team has been pretty much garbage.

Not to mention once you get in the playoffs if you do have an injury, you already have a little chemistry.

I really think coaches would hate having to make their best players a healthy scratch at any point in the season. Especially games they have to win to make the playoffs or to save their jobs. Imagine the primetime game in which one or both coaches are sitting their starting QBs. Or the end of the season game which you have to win to get in the playoffs, or the division, or the no 1 seed but can't put your best lineup on the field because of the 16 game rule.

I don't think fans who are buying tickets would like it, I don't think players or coaches would like it, I don't think it's a better product on the field. I get the reasoning but I just see it as a huge can of worms.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i can't see the players going for it. they're already half dead by the end of the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

i can't see the players going for it. they're already half dead by the end of the season.

But this is likely what they'll have to agree to for the CBD usage and roster size increase. They get their two things the owners get their one. Actually they get an extra bye and less preseason sounds like they're getting a lot of what they want. I can't see them not agreeing to a deal like I just laid out.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really think coaches would hate having to make their best players a healthy scratch at any point in the season. Especially games they have to win to make the playoffs or to save their jobs. Imagine the primetime game in which one or both coaches are sitting their starting QBs. Or the end of the season game which you have to win to get in the playoffs, or the division, or the no 1 seed but can't put your best lineup on the field because of the 16 game rule.

I don't think fans who are buying tickets would like it, I don't think players or coaches would like it, I don't think it's a better product on the field. I get the reasoning but I just see it as a huge can of worms.
You would have to be smart about it. Most teams would probably do it in the beginning of the year or the middle. I get what you’re saying but I think 18 games is just too much for players. The NFL can have its cake and eat it too with some restrictions in place.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Can you imagine all the whining when teams like us have to go play teams like the bears on the last week of the season?:eek:

Ram65

Legend
An 18 game season seems crazy to me as well as expanding the playoffs. Longer season and more teams in the playoffs no way. Just leave it as it is and work it out.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the one hand, there will never be enough games. On the other hand, the number of injuries will increase, likely significantly, harming careers and hurting the playoffs.

I suspect this is just a bargaining point, to try to win negotiations on more realistic things, by holding this over the players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
An 18 game season seems crazy to me as well as expanding the playoffs. Longer season and more teams in the playoffs no way. Just leave it as it is and work it out.

I'm with you other than I would like to see a second BYE week added to help keep the players better rested.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you other than I would like to see a second BYE week added to help keep the players better rested.

And would add revenue by making the regular season 18 weeks along - so more TV money, but better for the player's health. Sounds good to me.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd be in favor of an increased roster (I'd say 70 players, no practice squad) and legal CBD usage for the players and an 18 game season (with no preseason) for the owners.

HellRam

Starter

Yeah I use to think this was a cool idea a few years back. Now I have the view of... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Injuries already play a big enough role. I also don't like the idea of limiting starters playing time just so they can expand the season. Way too gimmicky for me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1) 16 game season schedule with 2 Bye weeks

2) Expand teams to 55 regular roster players with everyone eligible to play

3) Expand Practice Squads to 15 players

4) First year minimum wage for the 55 roster players jumps to $1mil per season, with a yearly inflation clause.

5) Highest paid player cannot exceed the lowest by more than 20 times season salary

6) 4 year max length for rookie contracts with the 4'th year now becoming the 'option' year

7) Increase league funding for health benefits following player retirement

8) Kroenke pays for Free Beer for life for every ROD member

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
1) 16 game season schedule with 2 Bye weeks

2) Expand teams to 55 regular roster players with everyone eligible to play

3) Expand Practice Squads to 15 players

4) First year minimum wage for the 55 roster players jumps to $1mil per season, with a yearly inflation clause.

5) Highest paid player cannot exceed the lowest by more than 20 times season salary

6) 4 year max length for rookie contracts with the 4'th year now becoming the 'option' year

7) Kroenke pays for Free Beer for life for every ROD member
i do like the max on highest paid player, but any chance it would happen?
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
i do like the max on highest paid player, but any chance it would happen?
train

I could probably be talked into 25 times minimum, but really depends on whether the Union is more interested in catering to those lopsided QB salaries or if they value a 'team' game. The union should be about the best welfare of all its members, not just the select or elite few. jmo

Last edited: