NFC West - All About the Rams vs 49’ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now PC has made his best OC hire yet too.
You think? I'm not so sure about that. I think him signing Waldron was desperate. An acknowledgement of what I'm suggesting.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think? I'm not so sure about that. I think him signing Waldron was desperate. An acknowledgement of what I'm suggesting.

I'm not scared of Seattle because IMO we just match up too well with them.

But this Waldron hire is an inverse copy of McVay hiring Staley.

Inexperienced guy, not on anybodys radar, coached with a unit that gave Carroll's defense fits for years.

I'd wager Waldron can be a good OC - whether Carroll let's him or not will be the question. I like the move for Seattle more for the insight Waldron will be able to give them into McVays offenses. Obviously with Stafford it'll be different, but it was an oddly humble move by Carroll IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense is always with the team. It's not going anywhere.

In the second game the defense scores 7, got 3 turnovers and held the Niners to 16 points.

In the first game they were awful in the first half but held them to 3 in the second half.

I suppose you could argue they shared equal blame with the offense for the first game, but definitely not the second. Goff was still worse than the defense in both games though, especially when you consider that the OL played well in the first game, he had clean pockets, he just missed throws (even factoring in the dropped TD by Kupp it was still one of his worst games of the season)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the second game the defense scores 7, got 3 turnovers and held the Niners to 16 points.

In the first game they were awful in the first half but held them to 3 in the second half.

I suppose you could argue they shared equal blame with the offense for the first game, but definitely not the second. Goff was still worse than the defense in both games though, especially when you consider that the OL played well in the first game, he had clean pockets, he just missed throws (even factoring in the dropped TD by Kupp it was still one of his worst games of the season)

We all saw what happened. The defense was awful for long stretches. Just as culpable as goff. Wrs dropping passes everywhere. Both were team losses.

In the second game the Rams had the lead and the defense let the back up qb lead two straight long fg drives to let the whiners win the game.

The first game the defense was diabolical. Jimmy g didn't have to make a pass past the line of scrimmage until the whiners were in full control. Then they let a wr run 10 yards on 3rd down to get a 1st down and ice the game at the end.

Sure Goff was bad but the defense was worse.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I dunno, I still think it's a three team race. I'm a homer so I'll put the Rams alone in the top tier, with SF and SEA not far behind, and ARIZ in the last tier.

We all knew Schotty sucks, so getting rid of him should be an upgrade. And Waldron has had a couple years to let the McVay magic rub off on him. Russell Wilson sounds really happy about the new OC hire, sounds like he had input into the hiring process.

My point is: I sure as heck don't rule out SEA. As long as RW is their QB, they're freaking dangerous.

EDIT: Cripes, how many freaking coaches have the Rams lost this year?!? It's at least SIX, by my count:

• DC Brandon Staley: Hired as Chargers’ head coach
  • LBs coach Joe Barry: Hired as Chargers’ defensive passing game coordinator/LBs coach
  • CBs coach Aubrey Pleasant: Hired as Lions’ secondary coach
  • Passing game coordinator Shane Waldron: Hired as Seahawks’ offensive coordinator
  • Assistant QBs coach Liam Coen: Hired as Kentucky’s offensive coordinator
-- AND now Andy Dickerson, who is leaving to become Seattle's "run-game coordinator."

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really hated losing to the S.F. scrubs this year, made me wonder why Goff played so shitty against them. 16 and 20 points when it seemed like the hags really had no problem with them.

Hopefully we’ll be moving on from those games of playing down to the competition.

Is the business model sustainable? So far yes. And barring some major implosion, the future looks mighty fine from my perspective l. :fistbump::helmet::beer2:

Flint

Pro Bowler
I think it affects Shanny too, in spite of the head to heads. They were in on Stafford and the Rams hawked them. Now they're talking Cousins which is a pretty big downgrade. Have to think they're asking their kid owner for some mojo to go get Watson.

And my fear is Watson's price will go down as resolve fades on the part of the Texans.
Cowherd was saying the Rams won out because Goff is better than Jimmy G, I don’t know about that but Garapalo has missed like 24 games to injury in 4 years and Goff missed 1. That’s not nothin, but I think that extra 1 had something to do with it as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams won out because the game moved to the adult table. It is a hypothesis of mine that the 9ers are restricted at the owner level. :biggrin:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The changes you'll see, IMO, is stuff like fewer boots because Stafford is marginal at best there. Fewer scripted throws because he doesn't need those unless he's on a cold streak. More full read options on third and long, etc.

And talking just vs the 9ers... That game in week 12 (and exempting QB since a move was made) the biggest probs were our defense not setting a good edge and our offense losing in the trench. Our DL got pushed around a bit too but the contain is what killed them (Hollins and Ebukam but also ILBs not getting to the edge).

Then if we lose Floyd. I just don't see how we fix the edge at that point. I don't see us getting it better with limited resources but then again I probably said the same last year so better wait and see how they approach this thing.

Seattle has much better linebackers than the Rams. But they also play a different defense. I really expected McVay and Staley to try the six man front single high safety defense against them.

I wonder how Morris' success against the Niners had to do with McVay hiring his old friend. I thought right away Morris will not be happy with the line backing unit.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all saw what happened. The defense was awful for long stretches. Just as culpable as goff. Wrs dropping passes everywhere. Both were team losses.

In the second game the Rams had the lead and the defense let the back up qb lead two straight long fg drives to let the whiners win the game.

The first game the defense was diabolical. Jimmy g didn't have to make a pass past the line of scrimmage until the whiners were in full control. Then they let a wr run 10 yards on 3rd down to get a 1st down and ice the game at the end.

Sure Goff was bad but the defense was worse.

You could argue the first game. Problem for Goff in that one is how clean his pockets were and he was still terrible. Considering how many people seemed to just chalk his struggles up to the OL, can't use that this game.

But the second game the defense was great. Yes they gave up two drives at the end of the game, but they gave up 16 points and scored 7. Doesn't get much better than that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Super interesting to see who we "missed" out on in the draft.

Of course, some of those guys like Chaisson would have a brighter future next to AD, but still.

Been saying for a while now first round picks are crazy overrated. You can go back and look at our 2017 draft grade and then updated draft grade for people revisiting the draft - it's one of the better drafts an NFL team had. Same will likely happen for 2020 IMO, and 2019 will be middle of the pack if I had to bet. Even in 2018 we got a gem in SJD.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Super interesting to see who we "missed" out on in the draft.

Of course, some of those guys like Chaisson would have a brighter future next to AD, but still.

Been saying for a while now first round picks are crazy overrated. You can go back and look at our 2017 draft grade and then updated draft grade for people revisiting the draft - it's one of the better drafts an NFL team had. Same will likely happen for 2020 IMO, and 2019 will be middle of the pack if I had to bet. Even in 2018 we got a gem in SJD.
Yeah and whether the Rams succeed in this approach or even if they shit the bed and end up laughingstocks I think it's an eye opener to look at draft picks as upper first round and lower first round in terms of value and applying estimates on where they'll be due to rosters and coaching and all that.

Not gonna lie I'm concerned. But why not enjoy it right. It's pretty fucking nice to see a mistake on a QB contract get fixed before the contract even starts. Most fans would have to endure Goff's underwhelming play while they hope the old guy returns. This is by far the preferred path for me.

They do have to fix the process that led to Ogletree > Cooks > Gurley > Goff all being paid and the team needing to weeny out of the contracts. But even with that I am appreciative of what we have going on here. Fix that shit and let's see if this can work. I'm all in.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In the NFC, it's interesting how the landscape might change quickly in terms of QB power. I believe the Rams have clearly upgraded if Stafford remains healthy and durable.

It's possible that both Brady and Brees retire leaving Tampa and New Orleans scrambling for QB's. Would Tampa relax with a fresh Super Bowl trophy in hand and just roll with whoever in 2021?
How would the Saints look with a full season of Winston/Hill?

You've got Rodgers in Green Bay who would be the lone "old guy vet." He's looking for an extension.

Seattle will be relevant as long as Wilson is there.

Arizona is building around Murray who is still finding his way.

Chicago has question marks.

Washington has question marks.

Minnesota has Cousins. Trade talk rumors.

Ryan in Atlanta. I don't see a team resurgence right now.

SF has question marks.

You've got to put Wilson & Rodgers at the top. Stafford could be right there if things go as planned.
Seems as though the best young QB's are in the AFC.
Lots of offseason yet to come but if Brady and Brees are gone...this window looks less daunting.