LEGEND New Movie Trailers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
You should probably learn about who Deadpool is before proclaiming false statements that he and his movie is a spoof.
I've seen both movies. You should revisit the definition of 'spoof'.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're trying to say you're just using the wrong word. A spoof is taking something serious and redoing it with the intention of being funny. Deadpool is a real and serious comic who's star has a more comedic look on things than other comic book heroes. This is a spoof.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I get what you're trying to say you're just using the wrong word. A spoof is taking something serious and redoing it with the intention of being funny. Deadpool is a real and serious comic who's star has a more comedic look on things than other comic book heroes. This is a spoof.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

As for the genre it's generally serious, while there are some flawed heros out there, but to the extent and especially manner of Deadpool? I don't think so. Again it's why I enjoyed the movie. The Hollywood Reporter review stated it well- "The Hollywood Reporter felt the film took a while to get going, "but once it does, Deadpool drops trou to reveal itself as a really raunchy, very dirty and pretty funny goof on the entire superhero ethos".

spoof- a mocking imitation of someone or something, usually light and good-humored; lampoon or parody

That something is the superhero ethos.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for the genre it's generally serious, while there are some flawed heros out there, but to the extent and especially manner of Deadpool? I don't think so. Again it's why I enjoyed the movie. The Hollywood Reporter review stated it well- "The Hollywood Reporter felt the film took a while to get going, "but once it does, Deadpool drops trou to reveal itself as a really raunchy, very dirty and pretty funny goof on the entire superhero ethos".
Again I get what you're saying. It's not a spoof though.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

spoof- a mocking imitation of someone or something, usually light and good-humored; lampoon or parody

That something is the superhero ethos.
But Deadpool isn't a mocking imitation or lampooning super heroes or their movies. It's not a parody. It's just a super hero movie with a deranged and self aware super hero. It's funny, but it's meant to be funny for the sake of being funny, not to make fun of super hero characters/movies. I mean, besides "super hero landing" and how interaction with the X-Men (which was limited in the first movie), I can't recall an instance of him poking fun at the sub-genre of super hero movies.

Think of the funniest part of the movies. How many of those were parodies of things you'd see in a serious super hero movie? My quick list from the first movie:

1. Breaking his hands punching Colossus in the dick
2. I bet it's going to feel huge in this hand
3. Telling the old lady he hid a brick of coke in the apartment
4. Trying to trade names with Negasonic Teenage Warhead
5. Super hero landing
6. Shot in the butthole

Of those, maybe 2 are poking fun at the super hero sub-genre. I personally don't think the name taking thing is but I'd be willing to concede that one just to not argue. It's not a parody. It's just an R rated comedy super hero movie.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
well this sure got complicated

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Nah. I know about the Deadpool character long before Ryan Reynolds came along. Nothing close to how you're proclaiming him.

Angry Ram

But Deadpool isn't a mocking imitation or lampooning super heroes or their movies. It's not a parody. It's just a super hero movie with a deranged and self aware super hero. It's funny, but it's meant to be funny for the sake of being funny, not to make fun of super hero characters/movies. I mean, besides "super hero landing" and how interaction with the X-Men (which was limited in the first movie), I can't recall an instance of him poking fun at the sub-genre of super hero movies.

Think of the funniest part of the movies. How many of those were parodies of things you'd see in a serious super hero movie? My quick list from the first movie:

5. Super hero landing
6. Shot in the butthole

Of those, maybe 2 are poking fun at the super hero sub-genre. I personally don't think the name taking thing is but I'd be willing to concede that one just to not argue. It's not a parody. It's just an R rated comedy super hero movie.

I loved Colossus in these, nailed the character from the comics.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut

5. Super hero landing
6. Shot in the butthole

7. Endless self introspection culminating in the death of the innocent guy in the phone booth.

Since I do not watch the super hero genre of today perhaps we can agree that compared to the older versions of Batman and certainly Superman movies Deadpool is a radical departure in the depiction of the super hero? I call it a spoof, you don't. I'm OK with that.

Angry Ram

I only commented about the Deadpool movies.

Exactly, which means you don't know about the character as much as comic book fans. He's existed in the superhero world far more that 4 hours of movie.

A comic book character created by Marvel cannot spoof it's own genre. This is Wade Wilson's alter ego. And it's a funny one, that again is just aware he' a fictional character.

It's like saying Guardians of the Galaxy is a spoof of The Avengers. Deadpool is a superhero movie with characters that were originally in the comic books and other media before the 2014 movie, not just made up to mock the genre (which is what spoofs do).

I know you don't watch comic book movies, but who is Deadpool imitating? Exactly, no one. He's his own character.

If you want to watch a superhero spoof, watch The Boys on Amazon. Now that is a show that mocks the characters and is pretty obvious of who they are ripping. Homelander = Superman; The Deep = Aquaman; Queen Maive = Wonder Woman.

If you want to talk about superheroes, I'm here all day. Later, Francis.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Exactly, which means you don't know about the character as much as comic book fans. He's existed in the superhero world far more that 4 hours of movie.

If you want to talk about superheroes, I'm here all day. Later, Francis.
Again I agree with Scorsese. While I don't watch the recent incarnation of superhero CGI movies for the grown ass man that wants to run around his neighborhood in a cape and speedo I have seen the TV commercials and the trailers in the theatre as well as what I hear from my son. So your given name is Francis?

BTW definition of 'spoof'- a mocking imitation of someone or something, usually light and good-humored; lampoon or parody

‘Deadpool’ as a Parody of the Superhero Genre
Nick Poulimenakos on February 11, 2018

Written By: Nick Poulimenakos

Dating back to the 1960’s, films began to merge the comedic, romantic and satirical aspects of films with the busy and broad action sequences such as car chases and searching for a McGuffin in which rather whacky and crazy characters became involved in hyperactive action. The action-comedy hybrid genre eventually branched off into parodies of action films including the James Bond action-spy-comedy parody by Mike Myers, Austin Powers and the “Matt Helm” series which starred Dean Martin. Modern cinema has popularized the hybrid action-comedy genre with such films like The Other Guys (2010), and Zombieland (2009), which continue the trend of comedic sequences mixed with high-octane action, but also increase the level of violence in the film to make for a grander spectacle and an increase in raunchy, more explicit comedic tendencies. This is evident in Tim Miller’s entry into 20th Century Fox’s ongoing X-Men film franchise, Deadpool (2016).
972079-best-deadpool-movie-wallpaper-1920x1080-for-iphone

Deadpool is originally a comic book character, created by Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza in 1991 for Marvel Comics. Deadpool is described in the academic journal article, A Librarian’s Guide to Marvel Comics as being a “costumed free-lance killer for hire… with a powerful natural healing factor” (Lavin 12) and has evolved from being a supervillain to a well-known anti-hero with enhanced superhuman abilities.

The character itself is actually a parody of popular DC Comics supervillain/anti-hero, Slade Wilson aka Deathstroke. When Liefeld showed his first designs for the character, Nicieza called him and stated “This is Deathstroke from the Teen Titans” (Polygon.com). However, the two creators decided to go ahead and create the character, even going so far as to mock Deathstroke’s real name by naming Deadpool “Wade Wilson.”

Deadpool was a character that comic book fans everywhere had been clamoring for to get a film adaptation and their wishes came true with the release of the 2009 film, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. However, the character was heavily altered as he was nothing like his self-aware comic book counterpart and the film received overwhelmingly negative reviews. 20th Century Fox then decided to reboot the character entirely bringing in director Tim Miller and writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, to create a more accurate depiction of the character. The 2016 film relies heavily on a vulgar comedic style, ultra-violence with an emphasis on the splattered blood, a mix of practical and CGI stunt work and inside jokes about how the film parodies other superhero films in the genre.

****************This essay will outline, theoretically, what a parody is and the aspects that make a film a parody, explaining what specifically makes the Deadpool film a parody and finally, situating the selected film against the background of its serious and suspenseful action cinema sub-genre for comparisons to other modern-era superhero/action films.*************

Last edited:

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I don't have a dog in this dust up. Sadly I feel the need to point out a few things. It is my belief that in any argument in today's world. If you search the internet long enough you will find a pundit that supports your narrative. Either for or against, pro or con. Doesn't take much effort. But to take a group of people that I am sure number in the millions and seems to include many posters on this board and dumb them down to this: ( "While I don't watch the recent incarnation of superhero CGI movies for the grown ass man that wants to run around his neighborhood in a cape and speedo") Well it just seems unproductive in regards to good conversation. Some times people in their need to be always right no matter the cost disregard that others have the right to believe what they want without being attacked for it. Baiting a poster in to an argument is just sad. I will go back to my cave now.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
While I don't have a dog in this dust up. Sadly I feel the need to point out a few things. It is my belief that in any argument in today's world. If you search the internet long enough you will find a pundit that supports your narrative. Either for or against, pro or con. Doesn't take much effort. But to take a group of people that I am sure number in the millions and seems to include many posters on this board and dumb them down to this: ( "While I don't watch the recent incarnation of superhero CGI movies for the grown ass man that wants to run around his neighborhood in a cape and speedo") Well it just seems unproductive in regards to good conversation. Some times people in their need to be always right no matter the cost disregard that others have the right to believe what they want without being attacked for it. Baiting a poster in to an argument is just sad. I will go back to my cave now.
I'm not taking your bait.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
is a spoof of a spoof , still considered a spoof

or ...........

is it possible to even do a spoof of something that is already a spoof

the comic book could be considered a spoof because it clearly has fun with it's genre

but..........

the movie actually stays 100% faithful to it's source material , therefor , is the movie it's self considered a spoof ?

giphy.gif