New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I also wanted to bring this up re: the appeal of the court decision.

What grounds does Amman have for appeal? Don't you have to be a party to the case to take the case to the appeal level? He was not granted the right to intervene, so I don't think he's listed as a party on the case.

disclaimer: I am by no way versed in law. This is just how I'm thinking as a lay person.
He would need to prove his claim that his clients had the right to intervene in the original case and if so they have legal standing to appeal. In the original hearing the judge had denied the intervention not on their standing for the case but that the information presented might be duplicated by the city attorney.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Except that he was also part of the group trying to land an expansion team in the Lou before signing on to buy into the Rams on the condition they relocated to St Louis. The Rams were the second team he worked to bring to his home state.

I think that's just because St Louis was where the opportunity was at. He wanted a team. I doubt Georgia would have let him in any other way.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Listen to his arguments? Davis may not have any option and even though he said no now doesn't mean that he will turn it down a year from now. It may end up being his best option. How would saying that he would settle for St Louis benefit him in Oakland or LA? If he agreed today it would seriously weaken any chance of going to LA.

I agree. Davis without Carson is in a poor spot. If it goes down, St Louis solves just about every problem he's got. Technically, he could play in the dome for bottom dollar and still have a much better stadium. And IMO a much healthier fan base. Saying now that he would move would likely piss off his sugar daddy the Chargers.

Big Willie

Starter
I agree. Davis without Carson is in a poor spot. If it goes down, St Louis solves just about every problem he's got. Technically, he could play in the dome for bottom dollar and still have a much better stadium. And IMO a much healthier fan base. Saying now that he would move would likely pee pee off his sugar daddy the Chargers.
St Louis Raiders? Not interested.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I guess this is what Grubman meant for litigation risk.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...appeal-judge-s-ruling-on-stadium.html?ana=twt

City residents appeal judge’s ruling on stadium financing
Aug 11, 2015, 2:46pm CDT

HOK

A rendering of the proposed north riverfront stadium released Thursday, April 23, 2015.

Jacob Kirn

Digital Producer- St. Louis Business Journal
Email | Twitter | Facebook
Three city of St. Louis residents have appealed a judge’s ruling that voided an ordinance requiring voter approval for any tax dollars used for a professional sports facility.

Saint Louis University School of Law professor John Ammann, who’s representing the residents, said the filing was made Tuesday to the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District.

Ammann said he would argue St. Louis Circuit Court Judge Thomas Frawley made three errors in his ruling, which was handed down earlier this month, apparently making it easier for the city to use bond proceeds for a new $1 billion Mississippi riverfront stadium without a public vote.

Ammann’s appeal says Fawley erred by denying Ammann’s motion to intervene in the lawsuit. (Ammann argued the city could not be trusted to defend its ordinance, and, he says, the city’s decision not to appeal proves his point.) It also says Frawley’s ruling that the ordinance is vague is incorrect, and that Frawley misinterpreted the term “adjacent.”

Frawley’s ruling said the 2002 ordinance, for example, did not clearly state which city official or entity would act as a governing body to determine when a ballot measure would be submitted to a public vote. The ruling also said “adjacent” means “near or close at hand,” and not necessarily touching. The Edward Jones Dome is separated from the new stadium site only by the interstate, the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority (RSA) has argued.

Ammann said he would ask for an expedited appeals process, which, even in a best-case scenario, would take “a few months.”

St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay has said the city will not appeal Frawley’s ruling because keeping St. Louis a National Football League town is too important. He also said the St. Louis Board of Aldermen would have a say on financing. The Board of Aldermen does not reconvene until next month. Nine of the city’s 28 aldermen in May called for a public vote on the use of city tax dollars for a new stadium.

The financing plan for the stadium, put forth by Gov. Jay Nixon's task force, includes $66 million in RSA bond proceeds from the city of St. Louis and $135 million in RSA bond proceeds from the state of Missouri. St. Louis County would not contribute funds.

The combined $201 million would be paired with $200 million from the NFL’s G4 loan program; $250 million from an NFL team owner; $187 million in tax credits, Missouri Development Finance Board contributions and other state or city incentives; and about $160 million in seat licensing sales, a figure lower than an NFL market study indicated St. Louis could provide.

These three "concerned citizens" and Ammann are a bunch of idiots... This shouldn't go anywhere, in fact I believe that the court of appeals already ruled that there cant be any appeals on this subject.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

Another denial by the league is expansion. It may not be on the table today but what about for a team to start in 2019 or 2020. I know this usually starts issues but Bernie had an article that quoted Nixon mentioning Cleveland and I am not referring to the team name but the conditional guarantees that the NFL gave the city in regards to getting a team. The NFL promised financial assistance and either an existing team or expansion team if they could make the stadium plan actionable.

"Nixon said something interesting last week when I asked him what would happen if the Rams are green-lighted for a move to LA — even if St. Louis has funding in place to build the new stadium on the north riverfront.

The governor cited Cleveland as an example of hope."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_ea2bb1a4-9219-5ab1-9065-ed0611c4df97.html

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
These three "concerned citizens" and Ammann are a bunch of idiots... This shouldn't go anywhere, in fact I believe that the court of appeals already ruled that there cant be any appeals on this subject.

They ruled on municipal laws not interfering with state statutes but nothing in that decision says that the city must fund a stadium. The RSA can build a stadium but neither the city or county has the obligation to pay for it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also wanted to bring this up re: the appeal of the court decision.

What grounds does Amman have for appeal? Don't you have to be a party to the case to take the case to the appeal level? He was not granted the right to intervene, so I don't think he's listed as a party on the case.

disclaimer: I am by no way versed in law. This is just how I'm thinking as a lay person.
Not a legal expert at all but from what I read the first thing Amman has to prove for it to go anywhere is that the judge was wrong to exclude he and his clients from the first proceedings. Then IIRC he had 2 other points he was appealing with the judge.

RamBill

Legend
Mortensen: Rams Could Be Favorite for L.A.
ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen feels that quarterbacks can’t get involved in fights due to the message that it sends to the rest of the team, and that Geno Smith may never regain his job. Plus, why the Rams are the favorite to relocate to Los Angeles.

Listen to Mort Talk Relocation
LA Talk Starts At 4:50

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

The only way I approve this is if the Raiders name stays in Oakland, and we get a new LOCAL owner. If the Rams leave, the city has to push for this to get a team with their own history. No more split fan bases that fight over their cities.

RamBill

Legend
Jaguars owner Shahid Khan weighs in on Rams' future
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rs-owner-shahid-khan-weighs-in-on-rams-future

SCHAUMBURG, Ill. -- Were it not for the last-minute interference of Stan Kroenke, perhaps Tuesday's owners meetings here might never have happened. In fact, it almost certainly wouldn't have.

The year was 2010 and the St. Louis Rams were for sale. A wealthy businessman from central Illinois by the name of Shahid Khan had entered into a purchase agreement to buy the majority stake in the Rams from Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez. The only possible snag on Khan's road to owning the team was a clause in the deal Kroenke signed when he became minority owner of the team that allowed him matching rights to the team before it could be sold to an outside investor.

Kroenke took his time making his decision public but announced on the final day that he was exercising his options and matching Khan's offer. Khan, who had openly discussed his love of St. Louis and making professional football work in the market, was left with nothing.

As it turned out, Khan would wind up purchasing the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2011 and everyone was happy. Until now.

With Kroenke pursuing an extravagant stadium plan in Inglewood, California, that would presumably include a plan to relocate the Rams to Los Angeles, it's fair for fans in St. Louis to wonder how things would be different if Khan were in charge.

I asked Khan whether he ever thinks about that, especially when he's at meetings like Tuesday's and sees the future of pro football in St. Louis in peril.

"You know, you have got to move on," Khan said. "For me, that wasn’t the first choice for me but what happened is great and it’s really a privilege to be part of the NFL. So I just hope the right thing gets done."

Khan now spends most of his time in Florida and overseas rather than his old stomping grounds in Urbana, Illinois, but he says he has kept tabs on what's happening in St. Louis. He said he's impressed with the work of Missouri Governor Jay Nixon and his task force, led by Dave Peacock.

"I think St. Louis is doing all of the right things for St. Louis," Khan said. "They ought to keep on doing what they're doing. They do that, I think it’s great for NFL fans in St. Louis."

In talking to Khan, it was easy to get the feeling that even though he's no longer involved with the Rams or the city, he'd like to see St. Louis succeed as a football market. That doesn't necessarily mean Khan's Jaguars would be in play for a move to St. Louis in a half-dozen or so years when they could be examining stadium options.

In fact, Khan has invested heavily in the stadium in Jacksonville and seems determined to make that market work even though his team has made playing a game in London an annual tradition.

As for where he stands on the current situation in Los Angeles, St. Louis, Oakland and San Diego, Khan is focused on the long game. He was part of the ownership group that received the update Tuesday but instead of viewing it as a step closer to a conclusion, he believes it's the unofficial beginning of the race to Los Angeles.

"I think really this is really the start of the process right now," Khan said. "I think the timing, probably January is when you are looking at something. There’s a lot of twists and turns before now and January."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well this thread should be quiet for a bit, the only real substance that could come up prior to the next owners meeting is the lawsuit that was just launched. Cya in the training camp and pre season threads gents.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas: Rams Confident They’ll Pull Off Los Angeles Move

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Wednesday to give his thoughts on the special NFL owners meetings focusing on the team’s vying for relocation to Los Angeles.

Listen to JT Talk Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.