New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Except the San Diego deal is pretty bad, and has not been well received by spanos nor the NFL itself.... It was said when the proposal was made public, and nothing has changed.
Hey Iced - was there an actual comment from the NFL about the SD proposal? So many things flying around this thread but I thought it was the ole "unnamed NFL sources" thing. I thought all that Grubman said was that it was not going to be well received by the Chargers or that any proposal would need to satisfy the owner but I don't recall he or Goodhell opining on the proposal itself. Maybe one or both of them did. I'm having a hard time keeping some of the details straight after reading almost 12,000 posts.

MrMotes

Starter
I guess it's for the courts to decide, but it can't feel good knowing the Rams believe this to be the case.

I don't think the courts have to decide anything. Whatever words are used, the Rams are no longer in the long term lease. They're legally free to relocate.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
503 why isnt he being told not to taunt?
Valid point. @LoyalRam - you wanna not do that? I've already given a couple guys a time out. Let's try to not add to them.

Again EVERYONE, smart ass comments or passive aggressive crap is going to get you on the outside looking in.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
He could have said something. ANYTHING to the fans to educate them on what's going on. Now STL hates him and rightfully so. The right thing to do was to come out to a microphone and say something about it. Just like Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Spanos, and basically every other owner in the league.

How would you feel if you worked at a restuarant and the owner tells you he's shutting it down and you're fired, because the manager stole money 3 years ago? Not your fault and he should have said something before and you could have: A) Told him to give it back and told the owner or B) Get other people to help pay it back, tell the owner and get a better manager. I realize this is not the best analogy but I've been up since 5:30am for work.

The point is, the fans are what make you money. Maybe you should tell your money makers what the hell is going on.

Spanos hasn't said anything he just has a vocal mouthpiece and not everything he says is what Spanos believes or has said. The only owner involved that has made any kind of statement is Mark Davis. The problem for the owners is that what they say can be used against them. It's best just to let the negotiations continue because until the revenues in St Louis are known or an announcement is made nothing has changed, the team is called the St Louis Rams. I see reasons for the Rams to move but I won't predict it either way. It will come down to Spanos and Kroenke and who wants LA since legally they both can move.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
when these articles are presented as fact, why dont he have a right to question them?
They are presented in most cases as either a "here is what this guy said" or to bolster an opinion. I don't see many if anyone saying Farmer said this so it is fact or Bernie said that so it is fact. It is a straw man argument.

iced

Hey Iced - was there an actual comment from the NFL about the SD proposal? So many things flying around this thread but I thought it was the ole "unnamed NFL sources" thing. I thought all that Grubman said was that it was not going to be well received by the Chargers or that any proposal would need to satisfy the owner but I don't recall he or Goodhell opining on the proposal itself. Maybe one or both of them did. I'm having a hard time keeping some of the details straight after reading almost 12,000 posts.

The Tweet didnt specify goodell or anyone - mainly "The NFL" has never thought highly of the proposal and several different versions of it since. Not specifically the chargers

bluecoconuts

Legend
The Tweet didnt specify goodell or anyone - mainly "The NFL" has never thought highly of the proposal and several different versions of it since. Not specifically the chargers

San Diego just said that they felt encouraged by the NFL yesterday and came out of the meeting feeling pretty good. The NFL has apparently been supportive of their actions lately, even if they are a bit hesitant about it.

In fact as soon as the city came out saying they felt confident after their meeting with the NFL yesterday Fabiani released a statement trashing the project again.

bluecoconuts

Legend

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
San Diego just said that they felt encouraged by the NFL yesterday and came out of the meeting feeling pretty good. The NFL has apparently been supportive of their actions lately, even if they are a bit hesitant about it.

In fact as soon as the city came out saying they felt confident after their meeting with the NFL yesterday Fabiani released a statement trashing the project again.

One of the criteria is that the teams buys into the proposal so right now even with the positive steps the deal isn't strong without giving the Chargers the rights to the land surrounding the stadium.

iced

One of the criteria is that the teams buys into the proposal s
o right now even with the positive steps the deal isn't strong without giving the Chargers the rights to the land surrounding the stadium.

still doesn't change the numbers

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2015/aug/10/ticker-fabiani-has-laugh-stadium-plan/

The plan has city and county taxpayers paying only 32 percent of the $1.1 billion cost of a stadium; the national average has taxpayers shoveling out 70 to 80 percent. And San Diego leaders think the National Football League (expected to contribute $200 million) will embrace this?

Fabiani noted that the task force's original estimate for the stadium cost was $1.4 billion, but local political leaders have "arbitrarily reduced the cost of the stadium" and then said the Chargers are responsible for cost overruns.

and...

San Diego leaders will present the plan to the National Football League. Those officials will immediately see through myriad aspects of the plan — particularly, the claim that the selling of personal seat licenses will raise $187.5 million for the financing of the stadium, according to the Union-Tribune. That sum is absurd. Fabiani told me in 2011 that the Chargers had no plans for personal seat licenses. They work well in affluent areas, such as the San Francisco 49ers stadium in Silicon Valley, but San Diego has trouble filling Qualcomm on many occasions.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Oh man he has perfected that "Be very generic and don't really answer the question" stuff down.

Who was it that asked the same question about if Stan would invest in the stadium 7 times?

His leash certainly wasn't very long in this interview.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He could have said something. ANYTHING to the fans to educate them on what's going on. Now STL hates him and rightfully so. The right thing to do was to come out to a microphone and say something about it. Just like Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Spanos, and basically every other owner in the league.

How would you feel if you worked at a restuarant and the owner tells you he's shutting it down and you're fired, because the manager stole money 3 years ago? Not your fault and he should have said something before and you could have: A) Told him to give it back and told the owner or B) Get other people to help pay it back, tell the owner and get a better manager. I realize this is not the best analogy but I've been up since 5:30am for work.

The point is, the fans are what make you money. Maybe you should tell your money makers what the hell is going on.
Sorry Leg but I really can't agree with you. I won't address your analogy because it not only is flawed from a business owner's position but I'm not really sure how it applies.

Stan was in negotiations with the CVC after the CVC had already negotiated a "stay of execution" if you will, with Georgia and Shaw. Stan could have gone public with what the CVC should have done but everyone already knew about the elephant in the room.

Are you saying that the people of St Louis would have come to his rescue and put political pressure on the CVC to bring the Dome to top tier status?

I'm just not sure Stan has any interest in working with the CVC any longer and the thought that they would be once again operating a new stadium isn't likely to encourage him to come to the table. I think it could be a huge problem for St Louis and I don't think Stan airing dirty laundry would help him one iota as it would become a big finger pointing session with the local government fighting against the big bad multi-billionaire.

Spanos has been doing what you say for years and most of the people I know in SD or that are Chargers fans have hated the Spanos family for their statements and behavior in the whole deal. So how would Stan speaking make that different? The few Minny fans I know couldn't stand their owner during their whole stadium issue either.

I really can't see what Stan had to gain as far as the fans are concerned. The fans in St Louis will rightfully hate on him until or unless he agrees to terms with the city.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks. I was just wondering if they had actually issued a statement on it. It seems they are much more impressed with the St Louis progress but unfortunately, we can't really know that either with the way Grubman is so proud of saying nothing with every statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.