New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UDFA
It's not about changing his mind but it has to be taken into consideration. LA doesn't just drop money from the sky. It really isn't up to us to decide what size house someone needs. It could be a 1,000 sq ft house for all it matters but it will be extremely more expensive as so is the cost of living. That has to factor into this decision. Any event can be had at any location. LA may get some that STL does not but that door swings both ways. Believe it or not LA is not the center which everything runs through.

Stan is not going to own this stadium alone. He is part of a group and the city of Inglewood is going to get a cut. All of that is going to be laid out in the details of the lease. No one knows how the pie will be split until the lease is signed.

When I lived in the Midwest... I needed 2500 square feet, at least.

In SoCal? I only needed 1200.

That's just my perspective on that part.

I have no idea who will own the stadium.. Seems like Authorities are the way to do it, tax wise.

iced

Few things, NFL Network isn't going be the deciding factor, but it's one of different things that add to Inglewood. NFL Network is headquartered in Culver City, their building is literally 7 miles away from the Inglewood stadium. With the surrounding developments, it's not hard for Kroenke to offer a sweet discount to move the studios down, plus they have a theater right there to host different events, etc. It's just bonuses for the NFL, it may not help, but it certainly wont hurt, and it helps demonstrate how Inglewood offers more than just a stadium.

I don't think that's a viable option - hard to rent out the stadium for other events if you're hosting a tv show. Especially things like concerts, motorsports, etc.

I also didn't say that Oakland, SD, and LA is with no St Louis is better, but Inglewood + St Louis certainly seems better than Carson and St Louis. I know you don't believe that the Raiders will relocate to St Louis, but Inglewood doesn't leave those two teams in the cold. It's a two team stadium, meaning that the Chargers can easily move up the road (and it's cheaper as well), and St Louis IS available if the Raiders were needed. I don't see how Carson is cheaper than St Louis for Oakland, if anything it looks to be far more expensive.

If the chargers and inglewood were a viable option I believe that would have happened by now. Whatever the reason is there haven't been discussions between kroenke and spanos.

We'll have to see when the Chargers announce their financing plan on may 20th - but i can't imagine the NFL's portion of carson to be more than what they would have to pay to help the Raiders move to St.louis, and especially with your proposed losses in costs they would have by "waiving fees" , giving exceptions to the g4 loan, and helping him move.

Oakland can't even afford a stadium in their own town; no way they can afford to move.

edit:

Based off of this info , this actually shouldn't cost the NFL anything for Carson.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/2...rd-to-ensure-construction-can-start-this-year

Goldman Sachs has promised up to $1.7 billion for the Carson project, said Tim Romer, a municipal finance manager for the bank.

Looks like Kroenke isn't the only one with a privately financed stadium on the table anymore

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's not about changing his mind but it has to be taken into consideration. LA doesn't just drop money from the sky. It really isn't up to us to decide what size house someone needs. It could be a 1,000 sq ft house for all it matters but it will be extremely more expensive as so is the cost of living. That has to factor into this decision. Any event can be had at any location. LA may get some that STL does not but that door swings both ways. Believe it or not LA is not the center which everything runs through.

Stan is not going to own this stadium alone. He is part of a group and the city of Inglewood is going to get a cut. All of that is going to be laid out in the details of the lease. No one knows how the pie will be split until the lease is signed.

I'm saying that I'm sure he's already taken that into consideration, someone doesn't get to where Kroenke has gotten without factoring these types of things before they start working towards the goal. Even if Inglewood was a leverage ploy, which I don't believe, it would be stupid of Kroenke to not have everything factored in before taking additional steps.

I understand how the housing market is in LA, the style of living is different, just like New York, or San Francisco or any other major city. I live in a 700 square foot apartment, and while it's expensive at 1,500 a month, I'm managing just fine. The people who work for the Lakers, the Kings, the Clippers, etc all manage just fine. The people who work for the Jets or Giants manage just fine. If the cost of living was so important than you'd see teams primarily in smaller, cheaper markets. There are 17 teams that are in a major professional league in California, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard any of them talk about how the cost of living was making things tougher for them. Why is it going to suddenly matter now? If those guys can't make $90,000 work in LA, then they're free to stay in St Louis.

The Stadium is being built by Kroenke, the surrounding area is being built by the other group. They've always said he'll own and operate the stadium where did you see he wouldn't?

And while yes, any even can be

I don't think that's a viable option - hard to rent out the stadium for other events if you're hosting a tv show. Especially things like concerts, motorsports, etc.

Why would those things interfere with each other?

If the chargers and inglewood were a viable option I believe that would have happened by now. Whatever the reason is there haven't been discussions between kroenke and spanos.

Too early in the game.

We'll have to see when the Chargers announce their financing plan on may 20th - but i can't imagine the NFL's portion of carson to be more than what they would have to pay to help the Raiders move to St.louis, and especially with your proposed losses in costs they would have by "waiving fees" , giving exceptions to the g4 loan, and helping him move.

400 million for Carson, So as long as it doesn't cost a total net loss of 400 million to move, it's cheaper.

Looks like Kroenke isn't the only one with a privately financed stadium on the table anymore

I'd need to see more details on that, is it their money, or is it the same thing they'e done with other stadiums? Who pays them back and how much do they? Interest rates? etc. Not enough details yet. That still doesn't address all the other problems.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
I'm saying that I'm sure he's already taken that into consideration, someone doesn't get to where Kroenke has gotten without factoring these types of things before they start working towards the goal. Even if Inglewood was a leverage ploy, which I don't believe, it would be stupid of Kroenke to not have everything factored in before taking additional steps.

I understand how the housing market is in LA, the style of living is different, just like New York, or San Francisco or any other major city. I live in a 700 square foot apartment, and while it's expensive at 1,500 a month, I'm managing just fine. The people who work for the Lakers, the Kings, the Clippers, etc all manage just fine. The people who work for the Jets or Giants manage just fine. If the cost of living was so important than you'd see teams primarily in smaller, cheaper markets. There are 17 teams that are in a major professional league in California, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever heard any of them talk about how the cost of living was making things tougher for them. Why is it going to suddenly matter now? If those guys can't make $90,000 work in LA, then they're free to stay in St Louis.

My point is that is is more expensive to do everything in LA and while he may have taken that into consideration the idea that he will be make money hand over fist isn't exactly true. I am sure Kroenke has taken that into consideration but it is still one of many factors that he will have to weigh when all the cards are on the table. My point was that the $3 Billion dollars isn't going to be as great as some make it out to be. I am sure the folks that work for other organizations are do just fine but those organization are compensating their people reflective of their City and none of those organizations are looking at the possibility of relocation. It is completely apples to oranges. Inglewood is not just a leverage ploy but it is still leverage. Against STL and the NFL. No one knows what Kroenke intends to do.

They've always said he'll own and operate the stadium where did you see he wouldn't?

The "They" are just media front men that are making assumptions. Show me an article that shows that he will own it and that no one else will be part of it? Show me an article that says that the land developer that is going to fork over 2 billion to build a stadium will not have a hand in any development of the land around it. You don't know how this going to be structured. No one does.

Moostache

Rookie
With the surrounding developments, it's not hard for Kroenke to offer a sweet discount to move the studios down, plus they have a theater right there to host different events, etc. It's just bonuses for the NFL, it may not help, but it certainly wont hurt, and it helps demonstrate how Inglewood offers more than just a stadium.
HUH? Let me get this straight because it sounds a little "tin foil hat wearing" on the surface.

You are contending that one of the reasons the Rams would be favored to move to LA over other possibilities is so that the NFL itself can set up its studios and promotional activities IN THE HOME STADIUM COMPLEX OF THE RAMS? And you think the rest of the owners - Jerry Jones, Danny Synder, Johnson, Kraft, Rooney, et al. - are all going to be just super with that idea? Jerry Jones, the media whore of all time, is going to happily watch as the NFL ordains a new stadium as the show place of the league and diminishes the cache of his palace less than a decade after it opened? You believe that the league setting up promotional shop inside the complex of one of the 32 member teams is going to be seen as a positive for the other 31 owners? I would have to beg to differ.

The Rams may very well move, but the idea that NFL studios is a reason for it in any way is way out there IMO.

I can see some of the suggested benefits to the league of the Inglewood stadium, but this idea - the one that says the league will somehow set up its broadcast facilities inside the stadium development is something you'd expect from Alex Jones like conspiracy theories. Is the NFL also going to assist in the government takeover of Texas too? LOL!

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Both the city and owner chipped in for the vikings project, so I would assume both would do the same
HUH? Let me get this straight because it sounds a little "tin foil hat wearing" on the surface.

You are contending that one of the reasons the Rams would be favored to move to LA over other possibilities is so that the NFL itself can set up its studios and promotional activities IN THE HOME STADIUM COMPLEX OF THE RAMS? And you think the rest of the owners - Jerry Jones, Danny Synder, Johnson, Kraft, Rooney, et al. - are all going to be just super with that idea? Jerry Jones, the media whore of all time, is going to happily watch as the NFL ordains a new stadium as the show place of the league and diminishes the cache of his palace less than a decade after it opened? You believe that the league setting up promotional shop inside the complex of one of the 32 member teams is going to be seen as a positive for the other 31 owners? I would have to beg to differ.

The Rams may very well move, but the idea that NFL studios is a reason for it in any way is way out there IMO.

I can see some of the suggested benefits to the league of the Inglewood stadium, but this idea - the one that says the league will somehow set up its broadcast facilities inside the stadium development is something you'd expect from Alex Jones like conspiracy theories. Is the NFL also going to assist in the government takeover of Texas too? LOL!

That was why the NFL liked the AEG project and the want their own LA Live. The NFL Network has outgrown their location and have been looking to move. They want an permanent location that involves a football experience. Will it be the main reason that Inglewood gets approved no but it certainly helps more than it hurts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The door swings both ways is right.
Those staff members who are making that 90k number who dont want to move to LA? Without a football team (hypothetically, just following the convo) in St louis, how will they replace the 90k income they gave up?
I see the arguement as a non starter
Cost of living higher, and higher wages. I imagine they will hold on to quite a bit of that staff if not all

iced

Why would those things interfere with each other?

lol no offense but you mean besides the obvious? Sound, crowd, lights, background, seating, etc.

very much doubt you wanna record a news program with a roaring crowd or monster jam in the back ground

Too early in the game.

that was had to do more with revenue control and how Kroenke wants to lease it out than being too early

400 million for Carson, So as long as it doesn't cost a total net loss of 400 million to move, it's cheaper.

Not according to what I've read and linked you. Costs the NFL nothing with Goldman Sachs pledging 1.7 billion to the project - in the original plan they used PSLs to cover atleast half of 1.7 b stadium. now the whole thing is funded by sachs (and g4 money can only be used on publicly funded stadiums)

I'd need to see more details on that, is it their money, or is it the same thing they'e done with other stadiums? Who pays them back and how much do they? Interest rates? etc. Not enough details yet. That still doesn't address all the other problems.

No but $1.7 billion from sachs and up to 850 in PSL money should be more than enough. Should be interesting next week but right now thats the latest info on it.

Haven't heard much on the g4 front - makes sense now if they're taking the private investor route

Last edited:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The Stadium is being built by Kroenke, the surrounding area is being built by the other group. They've always said he'll own and operate the stadium where did you see he wouldn't?

The stadium will be owned and operated by a public entity (the same way the CVC was set up.) The below links show you two of the newest stadiums that are owned and operated by a stadium authority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi's_Stadium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetLife_Stadium

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay. You're right. I imagine you have Stan's limo bugged. Lol.

Anyway.. I'll go with the pros on this one. There's consensus he wants to move, the question remains as to whether he actually will.

I'm not going to allow this BS. Keep it about the post.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
So you come to an intersection and the traffic cop puts up his right hand gesturing for you to stop. When you look at his right hand you see his thumb on the right and his palm. Of course when he looks at his own hand he sees the thumb on the left and fingernails. If he and you were both to describe the hand it would be described completely different,,, but its the same hand.

The bottom line here is that Stan Kroenke and his closest advisors are the only ones who know what he wants to do. The owners are pretty well up to speed with the whole scenario already and probably have a good idea what their decision is as well.

There's always the sense of good and evil but when it comes to big business and money, good frequently goes out the window.

Arguments pro LA or pro St Louis are meaningless and divisive as it pits our hometowns against each other. That will never the work out positively.

Just like a broken clock is right twice a day, half the crowd here will be right when the decision comes, but only by luck,,, so good luck to all !

btw Goldman Sachs are not lending the $1.7bb, they are lining it up.

iced

The bottom line here is that Stan Kroenke and his closest advisors are the only ones who know what he wants to do. The owners are pretty well up to speed with the whole scenario already and probably have a good idea what their decision is as well.

There's always the sense of good and evil but when it comes to big business and money, good frequently goes out the window.

Arguments pro LA or pro St Louis are meaningless and divisive as it pits our hometowns against each other. That will never the work out positively.

Just like a broken clock is right twice a day, half the crowd here will be right when the decision comes, but only by luck,,, so good luck to all !

Agreed. And anyone claiming that they actually know whats Stan wants to do is preposterous - the best we all have is our opinions and educated guesses.

So you come to an intersection and the traffic cop puts up his right hand gesturing for you to stop. When you look at his right hand you see his thumb on the right and his palm. Of course when he looks at his own hand he sees the thumb on the left and fingernails. If he and you were both to describe the hand it would be described completely different,,, but its the same hand.
oh, the irony

btw Goldman Sachs are not lending the $1.7bb, they are lining it up.

Goldman Sachs has promised up to $1.7 billion for the Carson project, said Tim Romer, a municipal finance manager for the bank.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/2...rd-to-ensure-construction-can-start-this-year

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Actual construction on a stadium can't begin till all the environmental cleanup is complete and has gone through the inspections. The only thing that is starting this year is the clean up.

Goldman will use some of their own funds but a majority will either come from other financial institutions and/or investors. They will spread the risk around to limit their exposure.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My point is that is is more expensive to do everything in LA and while he may have taken that into consideration the idea that he will be make money hand over fist isn't exactly true. I am sure Kroenke has taken that into consideration but it is still one of many factors that he will have to weigh when all the cards are on the table. My point was that the $3 Billion dollars isn't going to be as great as some make it out to be. I am sure the folks that work for other organizations are do just fine but those organization are compensating their people reflective of their City and none of those organizations are looking at the possibility of relocation. It is completely apples to oranges. Inglewood is not just a leverage ploy but it is still leverage. Against STL and the NFL. No one knows what Kroenke intends to do.

Sorry, I just don't understand how the cost of living comes into play. The guys who will be making the move with the team already make more than minimum wage, so they're not going to get a pay raise. Kroenke has a house in Malibu, he understands first hand how things are more expensive. The only adjustment needed is by the employees who will make the move and need to adjust their living style. If they are too stupid to understand how that works then why are they even working for the Rams. You're throwing out some random thing like its significant, and I just don't see how it is.

The "They" are just media front men that are making assumptions. Show me an article that shows that he will own it and that no one else will be part of it? Show me an article that says that the land developer that is going to fork over 2 billion to build a stadium will not have a hand in any development of the land around it. You don't know how this going to be structured. No one does.

Who says he's not going to have any say in the area around the stadium? They're partners, that's kind of part of being partners. In terms of the park, Stockbridge Group owns that land, and is leading that aspect of the development. The stadium, Stan owns that land, and it certainly appears he's the one leading that aspect of it. Stan likes to own and operate his stadiums, and he owns the land here, is building the stadium with his money, and you're saying that he's not going to own it? Even if someone else gets some of the cut, that's still more than what he gets in St Louis at this point, and he'll be getting the majority of it.

lol no offense but you mean besides the obvious? Sound, crowd, lights, background, seating, etc.

very much doubt you wanna record a news program with a roaring crowd or monster jam in the back ground

Most TV studios are soundproof for this very reason, I can't foresee that being an issue.

Not according to what I've read and linked you. Costs the NFL nothing with Goldman Sachs pledging 1.7 billion to the project - in the original plan they used PSLs to cover atleast half of 1.7 b stadium. now the whole thing is funded by sachs (and g4 money can only be used on publicly funded stadiums)

Again, I'd have to see more details about how that works out. If Goldman Sachs is indeed offering to privately finance Carson (and I have my doubts they're doing it that way) then that does change things up a bit, as well as moving up the possible start date to this year, it puts it on more equal footing as Inglewood, but I'd say the Inglewood location is still better and there's more to the project as a whole at this point.

The stadium will be owned and operated by a public entity (the same way the CVC was set up.) The below links show you two of the newest stadiums that are owned and operated by a stadium authority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi's_Stadium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetLife_Stadium

You mean Carson? Or the Riverfront Stadium? Yeah, but the Inglewood stadium isn't set up that way, that's what I'm talking about. Everything has pointed to Stan owning and operating the stadium as he likes to do, not setting up some public entity.

That's something that I've heard from different sources, that NFL Studios would like to move to a larger area that gives them more room to operate, and Inglewood would give that to them. Again, it doesn't mean that's going to be the reason, but it can help. Ripper summed it up nicely already, it's not about that being the primary reason, but it ads to the argument of "We are more than just a stadium, we are a rival to LA Live, we are a large complex with a lot to do." while at this point Carson is a stadium with hopes to expand with some hotels and retail in the future.

iced

Most TV studios are soundproof for this very reason, I can't foresee that being an issue.

I'm kind of shocked how you can't see the conflicts of interests of between multiple events, especially since you're talking about occupying the suite boxes (which are the biggest tickets). Not very appealing to an Event planner that wants to pack out the stadium or fill up the suites.

And I whole heartily agree with this

No offense but a lot of these ideas of I've heard - like waiving relocation fee's or changing the g4 loan's to help teams move out of state - I feel like are coming from wishful thinking. Just like this idea - we're talking about billionaires who care about every dollar. And with you quoting an extra $400 million, you think none of the other owners are going to care? That's almost twice as much the team's share of the TV revenue.

I mean hell - Spanos has said he'd fight Kroenke tooth and nail if he moved to LA and built a stadium...And you don't expect any resistance from the other owners in this scenario?

We're all entitled to our opinions. This one is just too far out there for me. I'll just leave this one at agree to disagree

Again, I'd have to see more details about how that works out. If Goldman Sachs is indeed offering to privately finance Carson (and I have my doubts they're doing it that way) then that does change things up a bit, as well as moving up the possible start date to this year, itputs it on more equal footing as Inglewood, but I'd say the Inglewood location is still better and there's more to the project as a whole at this point.

Oh I'm sure they're not doing it alone - I bet they have a group of investors.. But if they're gonna finance it, thats all that matters if the Chargers/Raiders are okay with the terms.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm kind of shocked how you can't see the conflicts of interests of between multiple events, especially since you're talking about occupying the suite boxes (which are the biggest tickets). Not very appealing to an Event planner that wants to pack out the stadium or fill up the suites.

What? They're not going to film IN the stadium, part of the Hollywood park includes a theater (similar to the Nokia Theater at LA Live), and a bunch of retail and office space as part of it. They can set up their studios in an office building, there's a theater there for events (Draft etc) if they want, and there are fields and stuff when they want to do different things for different shows.

No offense but a lot of these ideas of I've heard - like waiving relocation fee's or changing the g4 loan's to help teams move out of state - I feel like are coming from wishful thinking. Just like this idea - we're talking about billionaires who care about every dollar. And with you quoting an extra $400 million, you think none of the other owners are going to care? That's almost twice as much the team's share of the TV revenue.

I mean hell - Spanos has said he'd fight Kroenke tooth and nail if he moved to LA and built a stadium...And you don't expect any resistance from the other owners in this scenario?

We're all entitled to our opinions. This one is just too far out there for me. I'll just leave this one at agree to disagree

I expect resistance if the NFL feels that Inglewood isn't the better option and Kroenke tries to go anyway. If the NFL feels that Inglewood is better, then why are they going to fight it? At this point, in my opinion, Inglewood seems to be the better location, and offers the better long term viability. Naturally that is based off of what we know, and we don't have the entire picture, but Carson seems rushed and half-assed in my opinion. Part of that is by their own admission they are rushed.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of 400 million as if the NFL doesn't care about, do you mean the public financing from St Louis? Because of course they care about that, but it's not money that goes to them, it goes towards the city. That's like saying that because Inglewood costs twice as much the NFL wants it more because there's an extra billion dollars, the money isn't for them.

iced

What? They're not going to film IN the stadium, part of the Hollywood park includes a theater (similar to the Nokia Theater at LA Live), and a bunch of retail and office space as part of it. They can set up their studios in an office building, there's a theater there for events (Draft etc) if they want, and there are fields and stuff when they want to do different things for different shows.

Ah okay I thought you said meant inside the stadium, especially when you were talking about suites.

I expect resistance if the NFL feels that Inglewood isn't the better option and Kroenke tries to go anyway. If the NFL feels that Inglewood is better, then why are they going to fight it? At this point, in my opinion, Inglewood seems to be the better location, and offers the better long term viability. Naturally that is based off of what we know, and we don't have the entire picture, but Carson seems rushed and half-assed in my opinion. Part of that is by their own admission they are rushed.

It's not which one project is the better individual solution - its which which scenario is for all, and which yields the most money. Carson + St.Louis > Inglewood + SD + Oakland. Simply because the only real difference between the two projects in the big scheme is the presence of the St.Louis market.

Oakland doesn't have the pockets to move to St.Louis and pay for the stadium. And If they were to move, I'm sure they'd prefer their "better option" in LA.. Especially with two teams in that market, which is supposed to be more revenue than just the Rams.

Again, what's best for all 32 - I see more Revenue for all 32 owners with Carson + St.Louis vs Inglewood + SD + Oakland... and that doesn't even include all the other issues that come with this - The NFL turning their backs on a city putting up public funding, not meeting relocation guidelines (Do SD and Oakland have a viable stadium plan on the table? Nope.)

Kroenke's biggest battle is gonna be convincing 29 other owners why they should allow him to move who's just entering a one year lease with a stadium that meets NFL standards on the table - Chargers and Raiders have been on their leases longer, working in good faith, and don't have a stadium alternative like Kroenke. And there's more than just the NFL keeping their eye on this - you got the public, government, etc.

Ultimately the ball is in St.Louis's court when it comes to whether or not Kroenke stays, and if the Carson project comes through with the owners, then I would think it'd be virtually impossible for him to be approved to move.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of 400 million as if the NFL doesn't care about, do you mean the public financing from St Louis? Because of course they care about that, but it's not money that goes to them, it goes towards the city. That's like saying that because Inglewood costs twice as much the NFL wants it more because there's an extra billion dollars, the money isn't for them.

that's the number you quoted in extra revenue for hosting NFL Network

Last edited:

iced

Iced, the language has changed as they are now guaranteeing the funding but they still aren't putting up the dollars. of course unless they need to back up their guarantee.
everybody is horny as hell to make money on all of this and Goldman Sachs has a great white sniffer when there's blood in the water.

I'm sure they're not financing it alone by themselves; bet they have other investors.. However, if they have the money then thats what matters right now.

They'll have the financial pitch breakdown next wednesday on the 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.