New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iced

Interesting development with AEG pulling the downtown option off the table. Speaks volumes about the Inglewood/Carson projects. At least one of them is a big enough threat.

Yup. I think the writing was on the wall for AEG the minute SK purchased a football stadium sized piece of land in Inglewood.

Or they're tired of losing money...they've spent $50 million over 5 years on the stadium concepts with nothing to show for it and clearly no team wants to meet their terms for building a stadium (what owner wants to give up part of their team anyway)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I wonder if Anschutz would invest to make the Carson project happen as the City of Champions would pose a bigger threat to LA Live.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I wonder if Anschutz would invest to make the Carson project happen as the City of Champions would pose a bigger threat to LA Live.

Maybe he's in on Carson and taking the Farmers naming rights with him?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I doubt it.
Anshutz doesn't approve of the Inglewood or Carson site, because they're both on haunted pet cemeteries and are susceptible to UFO invasions.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

I'm sure Farmers would have a say but who knows.

If you get Goldman Sachs, AEG, Farmers, and the Chargers and Raiders working together, I don't know how anybody could stop that train.

RAMbler

UDFA

Does AEG permanently own the Farmers naming rights? I would think the naming rights belongs to Farmers, and that this marrage would end with AEG's failure at downtown LA?

I'm no expert, but what's to stop someone like..., i dont know..., say..., Stan Kroenke, from giving Farmers a call?

bluecoconuts

Legend

I doubt it, unless either team plans on giving him a sizable portion of their team, he's not going to help create a rival site. Inglewood is more of a threat, because it has more to it, but both are threats to LA Live profits.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I doubt it, unless either team plans on giving him a sizable portion of their team, he's not going to help create a rival site. Inglewood is more of a threat, because it has more to it, but both are threats to LA Live profits.

Yes, but he'd be able to recoup some of the losses by getting involved in a project. One of those projects is going to happen so he's going to feel it no matter what.

He'd feel it less if he bought in to the project that isn't building an entertainment district.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes, but he'd be able to recoup some of the losses by getting involved in a project. One of those projects is going to happen so he's going to feel it no matter what.

He'd feel it less if he bought in to the project that isn't building an entertainment district.

If that's the case, the smarter investment is Inglewood. Bigger pie, and less people to share it with.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
....or, perhaps he (AEG) now jumps in bed with Spanos to build in SD. Where Spanos (obviously) wants to stay.....
I doubt if AEG still expects a percentage of the team that Spanos will bite.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If that's the case, the smarter investment is Inglewood. Bigger pie, and less people to share it with.

It makes a lot more sense to make sure Carson happens so Inglewood doesn't. Less entertainment competition.

There's not going to be 3 teams in L.A.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It makes a lot more sense to make sure Carson happens so Inglewood doesn't. Less entertainment competition.

There's not going to be 3 teams in L.A.

Not really, if he invests in Carson, he has to split between the Chargers, Raiders, Goldmen, and Carson at a minimum. Plus it likely brings in more money, and the Inglewood project gets done anyway, except maybe without that big of a stadium. Retail, hotels, concert venue, those all stay.

So he's competing with them and Carson, and getting less money because there's more to share with and less coming in.

Or he invests in Inglewood, no longer has to worry about Carson being there, splits with less people, and has more revenue coming in, plus he gets to work with a close friend (Kroenke).

I don't think he invests in either, but it seems to make more sense to invest in Inglewood if he were. Unless the Raiders/Chargers were to give up a portion of their team.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Not really, if he invests in Carson, he has to split between the Chargers, Raiders, Goldmen, and Carson at a minimum. Plus it likely brings in more money, and the Inglewood project gets done anyway, except maybe without that big of a stadium. Retail, hotels, concert venue, those all stay.

So he's competing with them and Carson, and getting less money because there's more to share with and less coming in.

Or he invests in Inglewood, no longer has to worry about Carson being there, splits with less people, and has more revenue coming in, plus he gets to work with a close friend (Kroenke).

I don't think he invests in either, but it seems to make more sense to invest in Inglewood if he were. Unless the Raiders/Chargers were to give up a portion of their team.

But the Carson project doesn't pose nearly the threat that the City of Champions project would.

And working with his 'close friend' who he's been trying to sabotage? Doubtful. I doubt Kroenke would want to split that pie anyway.

bluecoconuts

Legend
But the Carson project doesn't pose nearly the threat that the City of Champions project would.

And working with his 'close friend' who he's been trying to sabotage? Doubtful. I doubt Kroenke would want to split that pie anyway.

Inglewood happens even without a stadium though, its a lot bigger than that. Carson is a stadium and a stadium alone. So either way LA Live is threatened, but one way has two threats, and the other two.

I don't know if they would split, but I know that they probably understand its probably business. Again though, I don't think he invests in either. I think he focuses on the convention center.

tonyl711

Starter

his close friend Stan? you mean the same Stan who bought the NHL hockey team that his brother in law was going after? Stan bought it knowing he was buying something his brother in law was interested in, friendship means nothing to these billionaires.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The Chargers have moved closer to Carson today as the Mayor's task force has chosen the Mission Valley site, which the Chargers did not want.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Chargers have moved closer to Carson today as the Mayor's task force has chosen the Mission Valley site, which the Chargers did not want.
As the world turns - eh? Do you get the impression that SD officials simply don't believe Spanos will move? I almost get the feeling the NFL urged Stan to do this. Probably not but I still have to wonder.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As the world turns - eh? Do you get the impression that SD officials simply don't believe Spanos will move? I almost get the feeling the NFL urged Stan to do this. Probably not but I still have to wonder.

I think the task force knows that there's zero chance to get the hoteliers to budge to allow something to be built downtown.

I know some worry that this could give Spanos enough reason to reject the proposal outright, but I think it was the only semi-realistic option for Faulconer's crew to recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.