New kickoff rules.........I like it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
I think this is going to make the kickoff more important than it has ever been.

I know some people don't like it and think that the NFL is trying to get rid of this part of the game. IMO they just did the opposite because without running starts and wedges returners are going to have more space and lanes to run in.

They got two things done. They made it "safer", a little bit anyway, and more exciting. Now kickoffs won't be the most boring play of the game. Imagine what PCooper is going to do to coverage teams now that they don't have a jump on him..........

I'g glad to see this myself and won't be hitting the fridge during kickoffs.

First thing is this could keep the kickoff in the game. It has to be in the game, I wish they would relax the kicking team lining up equally on both side in respect for onside kicks. Last 5 minutes of the half or something.

I didn't think much of the two man wedge until I recently (day or two) saw the Rams open up a hole for Cooper with one on a kickoff last year watching a highlight video . It did help. No running start has to help the returner. It will be interesting to see how it develops. Hope it woksout.

Where will the defenders meet up with the returner?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First thing is this could keep the kickoff in the game. It has to be in the game, I wish they would relax the kicking team lining up equally on both side in respect for onside kicks. Last 5 minutes of the half or something.

I didn't think much of the two man wedge until I recently (day or two) saw the Rams open up a hole for Cooper with one on a kickoff last year watching a highlight video . It did help. No running start has to help the returner. It will be interesting to see how it develops. Hope it woksout.

Where will the defenders meet up with the returner?

I hope it does keep it in the game, I'd hate to see it go away and considering that this is a field position game more often than not it's an important part of the game.

I think it's going to be exciting and we are going to see more big returns. Which is what the NFL wants, exciting plays that help the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How is this not 90% like a long punt return?

Going off memory here there have been many less injuries overall during the punt returns, think I recall that discussion on NFL Sirius a few times where Pat Kirwan was saying they should open the game with a punt return and use that post-scoring as well.

This does sort of the same thing. Hopefully it will result in fewer injuries, and also put a priority on return talent since I have to think there will be a lot of opportunities like with punt returns for big plays. Gonna be fun to see how this translates to the field.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I never got hurt in kickoff coverage, although I was involved in some spectacular plays. I did receive some pretty fair contusions returning the ball on kickoff returns. Some guys had a knack for putting their helmet right on your forearm on the side you were carrying the ball. I respected those guys. It was the guys who ducked last second, and threw themselves at your legs that I didn't like.

It was a weird thing though, both parties running so fast, that someone would just go flying, but it didn't really hurt.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think this is going to make the kickoff more important than it has ever been.

I know some people don't like it and think that the NFL is trying to get rid of this part of the game. IMO they just did the opposite because without running starts and wedges returners are going to have more space and lanes to run in.

They got two things done. They made it "safer", a little bit anyway, and more exciting. Now kickoffs won't be the most boring play of the game. Imagine what PCooper is going to do to coverage teams now that they don't have a jump on him..........

I'g glad to see this myself and won't be hitting the fridge during kickoffs.

I just looked at the kicking field goals with the history. When I saw a college recorded I thought about tees,then kickoffs,& history.

I then remembered your topic line that I never opened & read.It got me thinking though about rule changes & effect of the game because of the Tee in college.

#1 question though was for the kicking team to kick it out of the end zone??