New kickoff rules.........I like it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think this is going to make the kickoff more important than it has ever been.

I know some people don't like it and think that the NFL is trying to get rid of this part of the game. IMO they just did the opposite because without running starts and wedges returners are going to have more space and lanes to run in.

They got two things done. They made it "safer", a little bit anyway, and more exciting. Now kickoffs won't be the most boring play of the game. Imagine what PCooper is going to do to coverage teams now that they don't have a jump on him..........

I'g glad to see this myself and won't be hitting the fridge during kickoffs.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What is the new deal?

Picking up new car (will post pics once we’re done) and hadn’t heard the news.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
upload_2018-5-24_14-54-58.png

I think this diagram is correct.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View attachment 25219
I think this diagram is correct.

It looks like what I have seen only larger and so easier to look over.

Lots of space in between the guys up front and the return man.

PCooper probably got a big smile on his face when he saw this.

I'm guessing we will see some OL playing ST's now.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tavon, if his wrist is healed and he can catch kicks again, might really excell in Dallas with these changes.
Its possible methinks.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Unless the kicker f's up, I see more kicks out of the end zone for touchbacks.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Ohhhhhhhh..........

I am one that is very skeptical about the results of rule changes. Its a violent sport by its design. Some change I can see is necessary for issues that arise over time. Like the speed and power of the game.

With that said, I can see where this can make the game more exciting on the kickoffs which I have found to be mostly a boring part of the game since they moved the spot up a while back.

But if the previous poster is right about the kicker just kicking it past the end zone more then why even have a kickoff.

Will certainly be making the effort to see the first pre-season game. Things like this can change a game.

GO RAMS!!!

(How is this for a first post) :hiding:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Unless the kicker f's up, I see more kicks out of the end zone for touchbacks.

And this is the biggest factor in the new rule being safer for all the players on kickoffs. Teams didnt ask the kicker to kick it through the endzone with the last rules change. Instead opting to try to stop the returner short of the 25 with high kicks just short of the goal line.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Ohhhhhhhh..........

I am one that is very skeptical about the results of rule changes. Its a violent sport by its design. Some change I can see is necessary for issues that arise over time. Like the speed and power of the game.

With that said, I can see where this can make the game more exciting on the kickoffs which I have found to be mostly a boring part of the game since they moved the spot up a while back.

But if the previous poster is right about the kicker just kicking it past the end zone more then why even have a kickoff.

Will certainly be making the effort to see the first pre-season game. Things like this can change a game.

GO RAMS!!!

(How is this for a first post) :hiding:

Welcome to the greatest Rams fan site on the internet.

I to am curious to see how it unfolds. But IMO there will be more touchbacks, but I have been wrong before. Could result in more returns of balls kicked deep into the endzone. Just 1 more reason to be impatiently waiting for football to return.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Thanks!

Feels nice to be here.

I agree. One more reason to become increasingly impatient. :)

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Can you think of anyone you’d rather have coaching special teams than Bones with his innovations to take advantage of the new rules? Not me. Greg will be legging it out of the end zone regularly and we will be returning many of our kicks beyond the 40.

Bet

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's true the kickoff has been the most boring part of the sport for years.

I would like to have seen them move the kickoff back to the 30.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Quite frankly I like our kicker Greg Zuerlein kicking it out of the end zone because you never give a sure thing for a possibility. I also like Cooper when he doesn't fumble getting an opportunity because not all kicker's like Sam Ficken for example, can consistently kick it out of the end zone. It might add more returns, but I'm always worried about giving up a return.