New England Patriots Bad for Football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The focus will change to the next dynasty. The patriots can't keep this up much longer. Brady and Belichick will eventually retire, and their dynasty will retire with them. As much as it pains me to say this, I truly don't think we will ever see anything like it again. With free-agency the way it is and most players chasing the money, we will probably never see another dynasty like the patriots. For me, I would love to see a true Rams dynasty for at least 5-10 years, but in reality, it probably won't happen. But I can dream.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hear ya, but half the NFL does exactly what Armstrong did. You watch a sport in which likely everyone has done some type of PED at some point.

I’m not trying to argue because on the surface I think I get your point. But every athlete in virtually every sport is trying to get an edge. The level of the cheat is different for everyone and we tend to forgive or defend our own. Mike Thomas got suspended this year for PEDs. I don’t hear many of us calling him a cheater

Sorry, I meant to type “wasn’t meant for me”.

As for Mike Thomas, two things.

1) he was solely responsible for it. The team wasn’t providing the PEDs nor did they have a PED program.

2) I didn’t see anyone defend Thomas or say that his suspension wasn’t legit. Most called him stupid for risking his career for a marginal gain and putting himself and the team in a bad situation by cheating...cuz cheating is wrong and typically has severe consequences.

The “everybody is dirty/everybody does it” argument doesn’t make wash for me as it removes the agency and integrity of the individual players.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The focus will change to the next dynasty. The patriots can't keep this up much longer. Brady and Belichick will eventually retire, and their dynasty will retire with them. As much as it pains me to say this, I truly don't think we will ever see anything like it again. With free-agency the way it is and most players chasing the money, we will probably never see another dynasty like the patriots. For me, I would love to see a true Rams dynasty for at least 5-10 years, but in reality, it probably won't happen. But I can dream.
But that was already true before Tom Brady ever played a down for the Pats. There is nothing different except salaries have increased, but then so has team cap space. The Patriots found a way to get around free-agency limitations which other dynasties were said to have been built without. Nothing has changed except that there is a Hoody and a Tommy Terrific.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Individual athletes trying to get an edge, is significantly less odious than a HC directing a cameraman to film other teams practices in order to gain a team wide unfair advantage in the biggest of games.

"It's like they knew what we plays we were running beforehand"
~Marshall Faulk about Super Bowl 36

comparing a juiced player to a concerted effort by a teams coaching staff to steal a teams game plan prior to a Super Bowl, is not only a ridiculous comparison, but really diminishes the importance of the injury done to the victims by the cheaters..
Amen. That is how everyone defends bad behavior. So and so did this so I am justified, and in this case and many others, it's not even on the same level. The patriots cheating is systemic.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
While I totally disagree with the points made in this article, some of you may find it an interesting read nonetheless.
***************************************************************************************
https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playo...ngland-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-hate

Why the NFL Needs the New England Patriots
Hate Brady? Loathe Belichick? Can’t stand seeing them in the Super Bowl? The sport will be worse off whenever their dynasty comes to an end.
By Kevin Clark

patriots_good_AP_Ringer.0.jpg

AP Images/Ringer illustration

You will miss the Patriots when they are gone. If you have hated the past 18 years of New England football from a place of pure fandom, that is understandable. But if you can’t appreciate the team, that is your problem. The Patriots are many things — secretive, smug, rule-bendy — but they are not boring. And if you think New England’s ceaseless winning is boring, you’ve missed the whole point.

Whenever the Patriots become just another team, vulnerable to the year-to-year peaks and valleys that affect all other 31 teams, you — yes, you — will not be having as much fun.

In Sunday’s AFC championship game, the Patriots beat the Jacksonville Jaguars in a game that would’ve been an epic for anyone else but New England.

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick erased their fourth double-digit fourth-quarter deficit in the playoffs Sunday, and no one thinks it’s particularly special. This is not normal: No other quarterback has done this more than once, and no other franchise has done it more than twice.

Football nerds get everything they want from the Patriots, and this year’s version of the team ticks all of the boxes for the casual fan: They are good enough to always be in big games, imperfect enough to keep them close, and they understand situational football so well that they still usually end up winning. If you watch a New England game and feel nothing, it means you have died.

Rob Gronkowski was out for the entire second half of Sunday’s contest, and Brady had 12 stitches on his hand. When Brady made a comparison to Tiger Woods, saying he wouldn’t channel Woods by saying, “That was my C game,” after a major win, he was doing the exact thing he said he wouldn’t do. If any other team overcame all of this and still won, there would be six books and a documentary already in the works, but in New England it was just another Sunday.

When a team wins all the time, its success inevitably gets enveloped by white noise. By the end of the Yankees’ run in the 1990s, things got dull. Real Madrid’s Champions League victories in three of the past four years have all blended together. I’ll admit to not being particularly interested in the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, either. Winning can be boring, but do not let that envelop how remarkable the Patriots’ success has been. Brady has made the Super Bowl in half of the seasons he’s been a starting quarterback.

The Patriots are great for football. The case has been made that their dominance is either dull or bad or both, but if you feel this way, the problem you have is with the sport of football. This team is a Marioesque character, running through dozens of levels with increasingly ridiculous scenarios and constantly changing opponents, and yet they win more than they lose.

The bare-knuckle boxer John L. Sullivan became America’s first real sports star in the 1880s by traveling the country and trying to knock out anyone who wanted a shot, and he did so, night after night, against different opponents, different styles. This is the Patriots, taking on all comers.

New England has built the perfect modern football team — it’s stayed consistent by changing every year, chasing down every trend and owning it. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore, who was signed in the offseason with $40 million in guarantees and who batted down the fourth-quarter pass that sealed Sunday’s game, is on the team because Belichick recognized that the salary cap was rising to the point that they could add talented, costly players with only minor consequences to the bottom line.

At the same time, safety Patrick Chung, whom Belichick calls one of the best players in the league, is on a three-year, $8 million deal because no team finds value like the Patriots. They run an offense that is as diverse as you can get in the league, and Brady, who has run systems with influence from nearly every other scheme in the history of football at this point, can make any throw.

On a macro level, this team is different from many of New England’s famous teams from the previous decade: The first iteration of the Patriots dynasty relied on defense. This year, they are 29th in yards allowed (though fifth in points allowed) and instead have perfected the art of situational football.

In a phenomenal Twitter thread, football analytics guru Warren Sharp pointed out the near-unbelievable predictability of the Jaguars offense in the fourth quarter: Every first-down snap was a run from shotgun, and every second down was a downfield pass. Jacksonville had six snaps in the fourth quarter with a running clock and the lead, but at no point did it drain the play clock to five seconds. (Remind you of anything, Falcons fans?)

This
is Patriots football: Let the other teams make mistakes, and know how to make plays at the end of the game. Aside from the arrogance and the cheating scandals (the nationwide hatred, mind you, started long before Spygate), the apparent but just-out-of-reach mortality of the Patriots is what most frustrated opposing fans. They look like they should be losing all the time. “It’s not the despair … it’s the hope I can’t stand,” John Cleese says in Clockwise. And this is the way the NFL views the Patriots. Everyone gets close; few finish the job.

Last week Belichick was peppered with questions about “experience,” since the Pats had a lot and the Jags had nearly none. He said that experience does not matter — a sharp rebuke of a lazy media narrative, and a critique that is almost certainly true. Belichick, who has won more than anyone, knows that you cannot rely on anything except what is in front of you. The “Patriot Way” is not about anything except understanding the future and dominating it.

The Patriots’ constant appearance in big games also solves a lot of the NFL’s current shortcomings. Ratings are down, but not significantly so when the Patriots are involved. Look at this chart of championship-game ratings and the link between the lowest-rated matchups: games like Cardinals-Eagles, Panthers-Seahawks, and, yes, Sunday’s Eagles-Vikings game.

The vast majority come when there isn’t a dominant quarterback in play. The other pressing issue — the aesthetic troubles of a league where quarterbacks rely on throws short of the sticks — is solved by Brady being tied for the league lead in deep passes. Yeah, the Patriots are good for football.

Do me a favor: If you hear anyone talking about Belichick and Brady’s legacy being on the line in any way in the next two weeks, ignore them — and maybe never talk to them ever again. The Patriots are not about legacy; this is about entertainment. At this point, Brady’s eighth Super Bowl is running up the score on John Elway, who went to five and won only two, and he has doubled the number of times Joe Montana appeared in the game. But Brady did not need to gain an extra edge over Elway or Montana, nor does he need anything in the game against the Eagles. He already is the GOAT.

Perhaps because we’re running out of things to say, the conversation surrounding the Patriots and their dominance is remarkably stupid. In light of the team being called for only one penalty Sunday — the lowest total in a playoff game since … the 2011 Patriots — mainstream outlets floated theories that there is a pro-NFL conspiracy to help the Patriots.

Leaving aside that New England fans fretted about the selection of Clete Blakeman to head Sunday’s game because he’s been bad for them in the past, there’s a bigger problem with the theory: It is inane to think that NFL executives, who’ve spent a combined 50,000 years trying to suspend Brady for deflating footballs, have now flipped to be viciously pro-Patriots.

Here’s a better theory: As discussed in this story and in others, Belichick associates believe secretive Patriots aid Ernie Adams helps study the tendencies of referees and figure out what officiating crews are more likely to call certain penalties. Perhaps the Patriots get superstar calls, perhaps the oft-discussed idea of home-field advantage really being about referees reveals itself often for the Patriots because they always play at home. Or maybe they are just smarter than everyone else. We have plenty of evidence to suggest they usually are.

Since Belichick and Brady are always there (they have been to eight Super Bowls, more than any other franchise), it hides how often this team retools and innovates. They’ll have to do it again this offseason when coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia likely depart for head-coaching gigs, and stars like Malcolm Butler may leave, too. And they’ve already weathered the departures of key contributors like Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, and Rob Ninkovich over the past two years.

“Different forces have brought down the league’s dynasties through the years, including age and the defection of talented assistants. New England must cope with both.” The New York Times wrote that … in 2005. The 40-year-old Brady said he wants to play until he’s 45. There’s no precedent for a player trying to start at quarterback at that age, so there’s no way to know what to expect. The Patriots dynasty will end at some point, and all 32 teams will return to being vaguely even. When that happens, you’ll wish you had Belichick and Brady back.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear ya, but half the NFL does exactly what Armstrong did. You watch a sport in which likely everyone has done some type of PED at some point.

I’m not trying to argue because on the surface I think I get your point. But every athlete in virtually every sport is trying to get an edge. The level of the cheat is different for everyone and we tend to forgive or defend our own. Mike Thomas got suspended this year for PEDs. I don’t hear many of us calling him a cheater

I wouldn't mind if the Rams "cheated". Especially in the manner the Pats did. There's smoke, but no fire. Patriots fans can and do defend them staunchly. I recently had a Pats fan on another board say that there was some evidence somewhere that the Rams actually taped THEIR practice before the super bowl....so you can see how justified a FANatic will get.

Plus, what the Patriots did - none of it was the difference between winning and losing IMO. The most egregious thing they did was hold the Rams WRs and Faulk in that super bowl - and that was on the refs.

Finally, just isolating on deflategate - doesn't every team try to rush to the LOS when the refs rule a catch, but the team KNOWS it wasn't a catch? How is that different? It's not.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I totally disagree with the points made in this article, some of you may find it an interesting read nonetheless.
***************************************************************************************
https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playo...ngland-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-hate

Why the NFL Needs the New England Patriots
Hate Brady? Loathe Belichick? Can’t stand seeing them in the Super Bowl? The sport will be worse off whenever their dynasty comes to an end.
By Kevin Clark

patriots_good_AP_Ringer.0.jpg

AP Images/Ringer illustration

You will miss the Patriots when they are gone. If you have hated the past 18 years of New England football from a place of pure fandom, that is understandable. But if you can’t appreciate the team, that is your problem. The Patriots are many things — secretive, smug, rule-bendy — but they are not boring. And if you think New England’s ceaseless winning is boring, you’ve missed the whole point.

Whenever the Patriots become just another team, vulnerable to the year-to-year peaks and valleys that affect all other 31 teams, you — yes, you — will not be having as much fun.

In Sunday’s AFC championship game, the Patriots beat the Jacksonville Jaguars in a game that would’ve been an epic for anyone else but New England.

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick erased their fourth double-digit fourth-quarter deficit in the playoffs Sunday, and no one thinks it’s particularly special. This is not normal: No other quarterback has done this more than once, and no other franchise has done it more than twice.

Football nerds get everything they want from the Patriots, and this year’s version of the team ticks all of the boxes for the casual fan: They are good enough to always be in big games, imperfect enough to keep them close, and they understand situational football so well that they still usually end up winning. If you watch a New England game and feel nothing, it means you have died.

Rob Gronkowski was out for the entire second half of Sunday’s contest, and Brady had 12 stitches on his hand. When Brady made a comparison to Tiger Woods, saying he wouldn’t channel Woods by saying, “That was my C game,” after a major win, he was doing the exact thing he said he wouldn’t do. If any other team overcame all of this and still won, there would be six books and a documentary already in the works, but in New England it was just another Sunday.

When a team wins all the time, its success inevitably gets enveloped by white noise. By the end of the Yankees’ run in the 1990s, things got dull. Real Madrid’s Champions League victories in three of the past four years have all blended together. I’ll admit to not being particularly interested in the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, either. Winning can be boring, but do not let that envelop how remarkable the Patriots’ success has been. Brady has made the Super Bowl in half of the seasons he’s been a starting quarterback.

The Patriots are great for football. The case has been made that their dominance is either dull or bad or both, but if you feel this way, the problem you have is with the sport of football. This team is a Marioesque character, running through dozens of levels with increasingly ridiculous scenarios and constantly changing opponents, and yet they win more than they lose.

The bare-knuckle boxer John L. Sullivan became America’s first real sports star in the 1880s by traveling the country and trying to knock out anyone who wanted a shot, and he did so, night after night, against different opponents, different styles. This is the Patriots, taking on all comers.

New England has built the perfect modern football team — it’s stayed consistent by changing every year, chasing down every trend and owning it. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore, who was signed in the offseason with $40 million in guarantees and who batted down the fourth-quarter pass that sealed Sunday’s game, is on the team because Belichick recognized that the salary cap was rising to the point that they could add talented, costly players with only minor consequences to the bottom line.

At the same time, safety Patrick Chung, whom Belichick calls one of the best players in the league, is on a three-year, $8 million deal because no team finds value like the Patriots. They run an offense that is as diverse as you can get in the league, and Brady, who has run systems with influence from nearly every other scheme in the history of football at this point, can make any throw.

On a macro level, this team is different from many of New England’s famous teams from the previous decade: The first iteration of the Patriots dynasty relied on defense. This year, they are 29th in yards allowed (though fifth in points allowed) and instead have perfected the art of situational football.

In a phenomenal Twitter thread, football analytics guru Warren Sharp pointed out the near-unbelievable predictability of the Jaguars offense in the fourth quarter: Every first-down snap was a run from shotgun, and every second down was a downfield pass. Jacksonville had six snaps in the fourth quarter with a running clock and the lead, but at no point did it drain the play clock to five seconds. (Remind you of anything, Falcons fans?)

This
is Patriots football: Let the other teams make mistakes, and know how to make plays at the end of the game. Aside from the arrogance and the cheating scandals (the nationwide hatred, mind you, started long before Spygate), the apparent but just-out-of-reach mortality of the Patriots is what most frustrated opposing fans. They look like they should be losing all the time. “It’s not the despair … it’s the hope I can’t stand,” John Cleese says in Clockwise. And this is the way the NFL views the Patriots. Everyone gets close; few finish the job.

Last week Belichick was peppered with questions about “experience,” since the Pats had a lot and the Jags had nearly none. He said that experience does not matter — a sharp rebuke of a lazy media narrative, and a critique that is almost certainly true. Belichick, who has won more than anyone, knows that you cannot rely on anything except what is in front of you. The “Patriot Way” is not about anything except understanding the future and dominating it.

The Patriots’ constant appearance in big games also solves a lot of the NFL’s current shortcomings. Ratings are down, but not significantly so when the Patriots are involved. Look at this chart of championship-game ratings and the link between the lowest-rated matchups: games like Cardinals-Eagles, Panthers-Seahawks, and, yes, Sunday’s Eagles-Vikings game.

The vast majority come when there isn’t a dominant quarterback in play. The other pressing issue — the aesthetic troubles of a league where quarterbacks rely on throws short of the sticks — is solved by Brady being tied for the league lead in deep passes. Yeah, the Patriots are good for football.

Do me a favor: If you hear anyone talking about Belichick and Brady’s legacy being on the line in any way in the next two weeks, ignore them — and maybe never talk to them ever again. The Patriots are not about legacy; this is about entertainment. At this point, Brady’s eighth Super Bowl is running up the score on John Elway, who went to five and won only two, and he has doubled the number of times Joe Montana appeared in the game. But Brady did not need to gain an extra edge over Elway or Montana, nor does he need anything in the game against the Eagles. He already is the GOAT.

Perhaps because we’re running out of things to say, the conversation surrounding the Patriots and their dominance is remarkably stupid. In light of the team being called for only one penalty Sunday — the lowest total in a playoff game since … the 2011 Patriots — mainstream outlets floated theories that there is a pro-NFL conspiracy to help the Patriots.

Leaving aside that New England fans fretted about the selection of Clete Blakeman to head Sunday’s game because he’s been bad for them in the past, there’s a bigger problem with the theory: It is inane to think that NFL executives, who’ve spent a combined 50,000 years trying to suspend Brady for deflating footballs, have now flipped to be viciously pro-Patriots.

Here’s a better theory: As discussed in this story and in others, Belichick associates believe secretive Patriots aid Ernie Adams helps study the tendencies of referees and figure out what officiating crews are more likely to call certain penalties. Perhaps the Patriots get superstar calls, perhaps the oft-discussed idea of home-field advantage really being about referees reveals itself often for the Patriots because they always play at home. Or maybe they are just smarter than everyone else. We have plenty of evidence to suggest they usually are.

Since Belichick and Brady are always there (they have been to eight Super Bowls, more than any other franchise), it hides how often this team retools and innovates. They’ll have to do it again this offseason when coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia likely depart for head-coaching gigs, and stars like Malcolm Butler may leave, too. And they’ve already weathered the departures of key contributors like Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, and Rob Ninkovich over the past two years.

“Different forces have brought down the league’s dynasties through the years, including age and the defection of talented assistants. New England must cope with both.” The New York Times wrote that … in 2005. The 40-year-old Brady said he wants to play until he’s 45. There’s no precedent for a player trying to start at quarterback at that age, so there’s no way to know what to expect. The Patriots dynasty will end at some point, and all 32 teams will return to being vaguely even. When that happens, you’ll wish you had Belichick and Brady back.

Lol this article is completely wrong.

If the Patriots were deleted right now, the NFL would still be the best sport.

There were 6 top echelon teams this year - SIX - and there's almost always 4. This isn't like in the NBA where it can be good to have a dominant team.

And in point of fact, the Patriots haven't really been a dominant team - this year alone they were about the 4th or 5th best team by advanced stats. They get home playoff games largely on the ineptitude of their division - and from there it's just a short step up to get the 1 or 2 seed. And we saw how many super bowl participants are the 1 or 2 seed - I would argue that almost any franchise that had a 1 or 2 seed as often at the Patriots have over the past 17 years would have made a bunch of super bowls.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really silly article... when they are gone, no one will miss the antics.... except their legion of lemmings.
Side note: I really love the wide horns on your avatar's helmet. Really distinctive and cool.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind if the Rams "cheated". Especially in the manner the Pats did. There's smoke, but no fire. Patriots fans can and do defend them staunchly. I recently had a Pats fan on another board say that there was some evidence somewhere that the Rams actually taped THEIR practice before the super bowl....so you can see how justified a FANatic will get.

Plus, what the Patriots did - none of it was the difference between winning and losing IMO. The most egregious thing they did was hold the Rams WRs and Faulk in that super bowl - and that was on the refs.

Finally, just isolating on deflategate - doesn't every team try to rush to the LOS when the refs rule a catch, but the team KNOWS it wasn't a catch? How is that different? It's not.
First off, you are argui g apples and oranges. hurring to get a play off when it might get over turned is not cheating. Deflating a football to gain an advantage is. Knowing the first 20 plays a team is going to run because you taped a walk thru and now have all day and night to form a stratigy on plays more than likely you haven't seen before because martz always came up with new shit. That's cheating. Second, it definitely affected the out come of the SB. They won by 3 points. You don't think knowing what was coming in the first series didn't help get them the pick six. And who's to say they would have been in the next 2 SB if they didn't know what the opposing defenses were running. They might not have had as good of record. Remember Brady wasn't all that special the first few years. If they hadn't had top 5 D, they wouldn't have been there.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

So, if you go to your team cheats.com they actual report that based on a 2002 NY times article that the Rams indeed did tape the practice. I have tried searching for the article but can not find it. So I think it was a BS report. I am with you on most of this though. Deflategate was a joke, especially after Rivers and Big Ben did the same thing. Still think the Patriots were tools though for lying about it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First off, you are argui g apples and oranges. hurring to get a play off when it might get over turned is not cheating. Deflating a football to gain an advantage is. Knowing the first 20 plays a team is going to run because you taped a walk thru and now have all day and night to form a stratigy on plays more than likely you haven't seen before because martz always came up with new crap. That's cheating. Second, it definitely affected the out come of the SB. They won by 3 points. You don't think knowing what was coming in the first series didn't help get them the pick six. And who's to say they would have been in the next 2 SB if they didn't know what the opposing defenses were running. They might not have had as good of record. Remember Brady wasn't all that special the first few years. If they hadn't had top 5 D, they wouldn't have been there.

First, we disagree about deflating the footballs. IMO it's more egregious to hurry up to the LOS when you KNOW that your team didn't make the play. Other players have done so. Brady is an idiot for destroying his phone, but given what we know, the deflating of the balls IMO is just another small thing teams to do to try to gain an advantage - no different from hurrying to the line when you didn't make the catch or committing a penalty and not being called for it.

Second, Kurt didn't throw a pick 6 within the first 20 plays. And let's say the Patriots did know exactly what plays we were going to run...so? When you study film of a team and their tendencies, an elite MLB and an elite QB know what plays the other team is running. Even if the Patriots knew what plays we were running, they still have to make them. Especially regarding pass plays - on plays where there are 4-5 routes (most of Martz's playbook), how could they know WHO we would throw to? They didn't.

So no, I don't think them "knowing what was coming" had anything to do with that pick 6. And the Patriots had the 24th ranked defense - I don't care if they knew what we were doing on every play - we still should have won that game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You're making my point for me... Rams winning is paramount to you, but the Pats losing is almost as good. You're hate-watching, which is good for the NFL... adds more spice and passion to games.
Meh. The patsies in it means I won’t be watching. I don’t watch sports in general with only the hope that one team will lose. If the Iggles pull it off, I will likely watch some replays and like the outcome but I won’t be watching their multi-million dollar ads.

I’m a huge football fan and watch whatever games they have on plus the Ram game. I don’t think I’m alone in fans that just can’t get inspired by another patsy SB.