NBA Suspends Season, Will NFL Suspend Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, it was right before spring break.

The last night, Sunday the 15th, the damn place was packed and they stayed open until 2am for a cheerleader event.

Next day freaking Clearwater beach was packed and people are STILL going to travel to St Paddy's day places like Chicago and Boston even though those events are cancelled.

As is typical of my overdoing my research, let's just say that this is really bad. I'll tell anyone if they want to know, but yeah. I'm motivated in part to know more because I'm in the very highest risk category for this in that I've had multiple bouts of near fatal pneumonia, I have asthma, I have a compromised immune system AND I live in Florida where people keep dinosaurs for pets. I mean "Florida man" didn't just get that name for no reason beyond geography...

China nipped it in the bud, some say. How? Well, they issued a BRUTAL crackdown including quarantining 60M people and dragged people who showed symptoms to who knows where. People taken haven't returned.

Italy has a home quarantine and if you're out with symptoms, you can be jailed for 12 years. You can only go out to the supermarket or the doctor.

Spain is just starting to see cases explode, shut down the country and are instituting drastic measures. Most of the EU is closing their borders.

I would only ask a few things:

If this was all hysteria, would Wall Street be willing to see TRILLIONS of dollars vanish over hype? Would Disney suspend worldwide operations in their resort division which accounts for 37% of their revenue during a holiday season (spring/easter break)? Would every sports league AROUND THE WORLD halt operations if this was "just a cold"?

Also, remember, the ONLY places they've adequately contained the virus have all instituted SEVERE measures restricting movement and in Italy's case, the Drs in ERs are having to do battlefield triage and determining who gets ventilators and thus, who lives and dies because they didn't act quickly enough.

Seeing as we aren't restricting travel, many people are still going to work and people are STILL gathering in large places in close proximity... yeah.

I've been doing some basic math based on exposure modeling, actual infection rates including community spread, who are the carriers vs who suffer the most from infection and mortality rates based on a number of factors.

This is an appropriate reaction:
tenor.gif

Remember, this is from the pattern guy who is willing to give bad news. I don't want to be right, but the math is the math.

Anyway, whether it's Captain Tripps or Wuhan-400 or just COVID-19, it's super serious. Please everyone take every precaution.

Also... I knew it would happen, but I miss Brockers already. Good guy. He should do very well in Baltimore.
Who knows if China contained it.
They tried to suppress it initially.
At any rate with approximately 160,000 ventilators in the US the potential for a completely overwhelmed (and sick) health care (hospitals and workers) system.
It is what it is.
Very difficult to prepare for anything like this because of the unknowns.....where and how etc.
The numbers with a 2.5% death rate are scary for sure.
One thing, logic would tell us it has been here for awhile. I am convinced this is the second go round with this. I know several people, including myself, that have been sick in the recent past with symptoms that check most of the boxes, although in a mild form. My mother had many symptoms (has COPD) and ended up on a ventilator for a day or two in the hospital in early January.
The EU is just now closing borders.....they have been slow to react, like all top heavy entities.
My work is offering unlimited overtime.
Assigned me 2.75 hours a day of OT starting tomorrow and 8 hours of OT on Saturday.
The market doesn’t close because the results aren’t good. I wonder if it will be closed at some point...can’t come soon enough.
It stands to reason we will be season a large up tick in cases. Also, once there is a leveling off or a downward trend I think there will be a second uptick as people go back to being less observant about things.
The last large (in terms of death toll) flu virus in the US was in 1918 killing about 700,000. This could rise to that level quite easily. Or, could be more in line with H1N1 which tallied 12,500 deaths.
Time will tell.
Only so much one can do.

EasyE

Starter
Well, it was right before spring break.

The last night, Sunday the 15th, the damn place was packed and they stayed open until 2am for a cheerleader event.

Next day freaking Clearwater beach was packed and people are STILL going to travel to St Paddy's day places like Chicago and Boston even though those events are cancelled.

As is typical of my overdoing my research, let's just say that this is really bad. I'll tell anyone if they want to know, but yeah. I'm motivated in part to know more because I'm in the very highest risk category for this in that I've had multiple bouts of near fatal pneumonia, I have asthma, I have a compromised immune system AND I live in Florida where people keep dinosaurs for pets. I mean "Florida man" didn't just get that name for no reason beyond geography...

China nipped it in the bud, some say. How? Well, they issued a BRUTAL crackdown including quarantining 60M people and dragged people who showed symptoms to who knows where. People taken haven't returned.

Italy has a home quarantine and if you're out with symptoms, you can be jailed for 12 years. You can only go out to the supermarket or the doctor.

Spain is just starting to see cases explode, shut down the country and are instituting drastic measures. Most of the EU is closing their borders.

I would only ask a few things:

If this was all hysteria, would Wall Street be willing to see TRILLIONS of dollars vanish over hype? Would Disney suspend worldwide operations in their resort division which accounts for 37% of their revenue during a holiday season (spring/easter break)? Would every sports league AROUND THE WORLD halt operations if this was "just a cold"?

Also, remember, the ONLY places they've adequately contained the virus have all instituted SEVERE measures restricting movement and in Italy's case, the Drs in ERs are having to do battlefield triage and determining who gets ventilators and thus, who lives and dies because they didn't act quickly enough.

Seeing as we aren't restricting travel, many people are still going to work and people are STILL gathering in large places in close proximity... yeah.

I've been doing some basic math based on exposure modeling, actual infection rates including community spread, who are the carriers vs who suffer the most from infection and mortality rates based on a number of factors.

This is an appropriate reaction:
tenor.gif

Remember, this is from the pattern guy who is willing to give bad news. I don't want to be right, but the math is the math.

Anyway, whether it's Captain Tripps or Wuhan-400 or just COVID-19, it's super serious. Please everyone take every precaution.

Also... I knew it would happen, but I miss Brockers already. Good guy. He should do very well in Baltimore.

good luck to you in this. stay safe as you can. wow, what times we are living in. I just survived a cat5 hurricane, now this....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll tell anyone if they want to know, but yeah. I'm motivated in part to know more because I'm in the very highest risk category for this in that I've had multiple bouts of near fatal pneumonia, I have asthma, I have a compromised immune system

i'm right there with you. i've had sarcoidosis for two decades. my lungs are already heavily scarred from the disease. my immune system has been suppressed to deal with the disease, which funnily enough kind of acts like this virus towards your lungs.

i've learnt how to breathe in public places whenever a person passes me to protect myself from whatever bug they may have. i never inhale when they approach and walk by me. i'll either hold my breath or exhale. when their gust of wind passes me a couple of seconds later i take a breath. very difficult to do at the shops but i swear by it. and of course in the last two weeks i do not touch my face at all in public and until i get home and wash my hands.

not sure if that's enough for this virus but i haven't had the flu since i began doing this 5 years ago. before that i would get sick as a dog every winter, or all year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
i'm right there with you. i've had sarcoidosis for two decades. my lungs are already heavily scarred from the disease. my immune system has been suppressed to deal with the disease, which funnily enough kind of acts like this virus towards your lungs.

i've learnt how to breathe in public places whenever a person passes me to protect myself from whatever bug they may have. i never inhale when they approach and walk by me. i'll either hold my breath or exhale. when their gust of wind passes me a couple of seconds later i take a breath. very difficult to do at the shops but i swear by it. and of course in the last two weeks i do not touch my face at all in public and until i get home and wash my hands.

not sure if that's enough for this virus but i haven't had the flu since i began doing this 5 years ago. before that i would get sick as a dog every winter, or all year.

Same. The hardest part for me has been changing to not touch my face. I do it so often and so unconsciously... I subconsciously do that breathing thing, too. I started doing it because after my seizures and large medicine interventions, I became very allergic to many floral extracts (that baffled the docs, but w/e) so I had to dodge the fragrance monsters not only at the mall that would spray you, but also those who wore way too much perfume/cologne. Thank Heavens that eventually there was an outcry and people had to use moderation or none at all depending on the workplace.

Also instituted a new rule that EVERYONE who enters the house has to wash their hands immediately upon entering. No exceptions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really only grabbed this article as it will be interesting to see/hear how the draft will be put together this year.

———

Steelers ready to restrict the draft room

We don’t know much about the manner in which the rest of the offseason will unfold, but we know that the draft will happen as scheduled on April 23-25.

And teams know that they’ll have to limit the number of persons present in their draft rooms to 10.

“We’re doing our best to continue to operate as best we can under the circumstances,” Steelers owner Art Rooney II told Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We have a lot of people working from home. Even people who are here we are restricting the number of people who can get in a room. It will be a bit of an unusual year in the draft room, I would say, not having the full contingent of 20 to 25 people at a time in that room. We’re trying to work through it and allow people to participate in meetings remotely. We’ll do the best we can.”

Every team will be in the same boat during the draft, and every team will be trying to navigate an ever-changing situation that eventually will wipe out most if not all of the offseason program, and that could delay the opening of training camp and possibly shorten the season.

Psycho_X

Legend
As much as I love to hear Goodell booed every ten minutes it makes too much sense to just do it small scale without an audience. No reason they can't still do it with minimal people involved.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Time to break out the helmet phone

elwaytomarino-draft_room_recreation.0.jpg

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
There working on trying to make it still an event under this pandemic conditions. Either way the die hards fans will still be able to enjoy the draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Given that my immune system has been compromised (I've had near-fatal sepsis in the past, use a catheter, and let's not forget the reasons I'm in a wheelchair in the first place), I'm worried myself, and as much as I hate to admit it, going out somewhere is not an option.

Stay safe @Mackeyser and @kurtfaulk and everyone else.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NFL aiming to virtually involve prospects in 2020 draft

The NFL, like the rest of the world, is in uncharted territory as the current COVID-19 pandemic affects the people around the world.

The 2020 NFL Draft, though, will still go on -- it's just going to take place in a much different format. With social distancing among the most important measures everyone can take in mitigating the spread of COVID-19, the league can't hold the draft as a traditional public gathering. For the fans watching from home, the league is working on ways to deliver the best experience for those who support the game, and for the prospects who will be part of the draft for their first and only time.

The NFL will be reaching out to top prospects this week to participate in the draft set for April 23-25, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. In a letter to agents obtained by NFL Media, the league said it is working on a virtual solution that will incorporate prospects in the broadcast from their locations. Additionally, current players and NFL legends are also expected to be part of the three-day event, Rapoport added.

Players won't be able to cross the same stage in front of cheering fans and flashbulbs and hug NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, but the league is still attempting to make this a special, once-in-a-lifetime experience for them. What that might entail remains to be seen.