My confession about Matthew Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
You are not wrong @AvengerRam until proven wrong.

Stafford has elite talent and is a huge upgrade over Goff on paper.

He might prove it and make McVay a genius.

I believe in McVay on making the trade but I won't guarantee it will work out.

The Rams need to make some savvy offseason moves to help Stafford and I believe they will.

IN STAFFORD WE TRUST

staff.0.gif

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well we have to keep in mind, Jared Goff only has 6 comebacks but besides his rookie year, he's only had just 26 chances, so he's 6 for 26 Stafford has had 122 opportunities. :shock: Stafford has a slight edge in percentage of comebacks.

Having said that, I love the fact that the Rams won't offer him many opportunities so either way....less opportunities; capable of doing it......it's good for the Rams.

Stafford was drafted by an 0-16 team, so if we're going to include his rookie year we definitely need to include Goff's.

Also - one reason why I hate this stat - this is rarely just a QB stat. For example, the Chiefs game - Goff played well, but he threw what should have been a potentially game ending INT a few plays before the TD to Everett. Hit the Chiefs defender right in the hands, dropped it. Then the defense picks off the league MVP twice to seal the game.

Stafford probably has some similar situations - I'm not intimately familiar with every game he's played like I am Goff. But given that Detroits defense would have absolutely no chance of stopping a team like the Chiefs, it does make his comebacks a bit more impressive to me.

Here's a direct comparison ironically:

In both games, Goff and Stafford threw go ahead TDs. Against the Rams, the Chiefs needed a FG, had two chances, and failed.

Against the Lions, the Chiefs had 30 more seconds but needed a TD and got it.

For Goff it's a 4th quarter comeback, for Stafford it's a loss.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford had 4 last year alone. Of course it doesn't hurt that their defense wasn't hitting on much.
Don't think Goff has had any where near the amount of yearly opportunities that Detroit gave Stafford.

The other side of this argument is that Goff's 4th quarter comebacks have been sealed by the defense:

2017 Titans - 4th down stop by defense

2018 Seattle (1) - Goff QB sneak to win

2018 Green Bay - kick return fumble - Rodgers had two minutes and needed a FG to win

2018 Seattle (2) - 4th down stop by the defense

2018 Chiefs - two INTs by the defense to seal the game

2018 Saints (NFCCG) - required the defense to hold the Saints to a FG, which I doubt the Lions would have been able to do (doubtful PI wouldn't be called on Detroit there too)

2019 Browns - end zone stop by the defense

Given that every team on this list had ample time to drive for the win/tie, I'd wager the Lions go 0-7 in those games, against those teams.

I don't know this for sure but I believe a lot of Stafford's game winning drives have been scores to take the lead with less than a minute to play. The Goff led Rams have never done that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If people are going to insist on making this a QB stat, QBs should get credit for leading their team to a lead late in the game even if the defense blows it

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Interesting list to see.

Compared to 6 with Goff. Yes I know the years in league are different but no where on pace to be close to Stafford.

However the one I will forever love Goff for is the NFCCG in NEw Orleans! That was a hell of a game!!!

The one the will forever be pisssed at him for is the SB. But plenty of fault to go around for that one. But man he missed a ton of shit that game. Smh.
Well to comeback and win games, it helps if your team is trailing in a lot of games.

Fortunately the Rams haven't trailed in a ton of games the last 4 yrs.

Stafford has had a heck of a lot more opportunities to do so.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are not wrong @AvengerRam until proven wrong.

Stafford has elite talent and is a huge upgrade over Goff on paper.

He might prove it and make McVay a genius.

I believe in McVay on making the trade but I won't guarantee it will work out.

The Rams need to make some savvy offseason moves to help Stafford and I believe they will.

IN STAFFORD WE TRUST

staff.0.gif

You better change that gif, he went down a yard early on 4th down. Something that had some people here questioning Goff's toughness.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm still unsure about Stafford, but he's our quarterback, so I'll support him.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Took me a little while to realize that Stafford was more than just Kershaw's BFF, but that he's also a pretty good QB. It seems that the more you look, the more people can find things to like about Stafford.

I mean, here's how Goff dealt with a zero look with defenders dropping into zone:

View: https://twitter.com/houtz/status/1322971774435401741?s=20

Here's how Stafford dealt with a zero look with defenders dropping into zone:
click here: link
or go to 11:37 there:

View: https://youtu.be/p-AC9kbmYcs?t=697

I think that Stafford working with the best running game and best defense he's ever worked with will help him. But Stafford working with the best offensive mind, in McVay, that he's ever worked with will be a bigger factor than a lot of people realize -- I'm hoping.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The QB winzzzz crowd will hate this so, look away.

Brett Favre played on better teams for a better organization, so yes, he had a Super Bowl win and two appearances, along with a ton of playoff wins.

But Favre had his most efficient and arguably best season of his career at age 40 with the Vikings.

I always loved Favre and watched a lot of Vikings games that year - he looked different. Better. He had never played with someone like AP before.

This is what I see for Stafford coming to the Rams. Yes, he's not as good as Favre - but he's as good as Favre was at age 39

I'd say better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But Stafford working with the best offensive mind, in McVay, that he's ever worked with will be a bigger factor than a lot of people realize -- I'm hoping.

What you mean? He had Scott Linehan as OC a few years.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Stafford is like old MC Hammer Too Legit to Quit. We got SB55? 54? I think it's SB55 we got it I bet all ROD $ right now.. Old Van Dame movie and you can take that to the bank, my bad it was Steven Seagal Hard to Kill

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for this post. I felt the very same way after the trade. I have been going back and watching Lions film, and I've come to the same conclusion. I mean, it suck because I'm watching the Lions, but you can see that Stafford has a lot to offer the Rams. I'm not a football scholar like most in here, but I believe his level of play will be a good fit for this Ram team.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well to comeback and win games, it helps if your team is trailing in a lot of games.

Fortunately the Rams haven't trailed in a ton of games the last 4 yrs.

Stafford has had a heck of a lot more opportunities to do so.

It also means that 4th quarter comebacks can be taken away from a QB by the defense blowing the game. All of the offenses scores in our 4th quarter comebacks the last four years have left the other team enough time for the other team to drive and win - a situation the Lions would fail in more often than not

Something that's happened maybe one time in Goff's tenure with the Rams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It also means that 4th quarter comebacks can be taken away from a QB by the defense blowing the game. All of the offenses scores in our 4th quarter comebacks the last four years have left the other team enough time for the other team to drive and win - a situation the Lions would fail in more often than not

Something that's happened maybe one time in Goff's tenure with the Rams.
Well he brought them back against the Bills this yr and then lost.

Brought them back against Seattle last yr and his kicker missed a kick.

They pulled ahead of the Niners this yr, not because of him so much, but they would have credited him with that stat, and the D gave it up.

And there were games last yr where the D never gave them a chance to comeback. Bucs, Cowboys, etc...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I am excited about the Man With The Golden Arm, AKA The Natural, AKA The Secret, AKA The Gift, AKA The Secret Gift, AKA Stats Mattford, AKA Mat Pahomes, AKA Mr. Comeback etc...

But like any movie, your friends telling you how great it is all the time can hype it up too much and honestly, I know the goal is to win a Superbowl, but at this point the expectations are going to be really, really high and really hard to meet.

All we've been watching/listening to is the highlights and nostalgic reflection on his considerable time in Detroit. There have been lowlights too. He will be in a new place, who knows what kind of protection he'll have, who knows how weird this offseason will be, he will have a lot to adjust to and I just want us all to caution ourselves before we set our expectations to ludicrous speed...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You better change that gif, he went down a yard early on 4th down. Something that had some people here questioning Goff's toughness.

Lol!
Was going to say the same thing!
Why we excited about going down a yard short

Name
Seth Griffith
I watched a rerun of the Bears @Lions from week 1 of 2020 (I believe it was week 1 anyways). I was a little taken back by what I saw, and as someone earlier said; probably due to him not being OUR QB.

1. Pocket awareness/shiftiness that Goff can’t even sniff
2. Throws from multiple arm angles
3. Arm talent Goff can’t even sniff
4. What I want in the temperament of a QB Field General
5. That “It” “Passion for the game” or whatever you want to call it. Goff can’t even sniff what Stafford does
6. Looks for chunk plays
7. Head and stay still but eyes move...Basically sees more than Goff ever will probably

Just to name a few. I feel good about him under center. O line play needs to protect him. Offense needs to be ran wide open. Cam Akers is the RB he’s never had!