My confession about Matthew Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Stafford was drafted by an 0-16 team, so if we're going to include his rookie year we definitely need to include Goff's.

Also - one reason why I hate this stat - this is rarely just a QB stat. For example, the Chiefs game - Goff played well, but he threw what should have been a potentially game ending INT a few plays before the TD to Everett. Hit the Chiefs defender right in the hands, dropped it. Then the defense picks off the league MVP twice to seal the game.

Stafford probably has some similar situations - I'm not intimately familiar with every game he's played like I am Goff. But given that Detroits defense would have absolutely no chance of stopping a team like the Chiefs, it does make his comebacks a bit more impressive to me.

Here's a direct comparison ironically:

In both games, Goff and Stafford threw go ahead TDs. Against the Rams, the Chiefs needed a FG, had two chances, and failed.

Against the Lions, the Chiefs had 30 more seconds but needed a TD and got it.

For Goff it's a 4th quarter comeback, for Stafford it's a loss.

First off, Stafford was drafted by an 0-16 team, yes, who had won 7 game the previous year. So yeah, the 0-16 sucked but how much worse were they than the Rams team that drafted Goff? Let's not make it sound like the Rams were on the verge of making the playoffs. They were barely on the verge of making it to .500, which they didn't.

But fair enough lets include Goff's rookie season....6 comebacks in 33 chances. Stafford 31 comebacks in 122 chances. Stafford definitely has a better "comebacks to chances" average. Stafford has had the opportunity, on average, a tick more than 10 times per year with an average of 2.5 per. Goff has had the opportunity, on average, 6.6 times per season and converted, on average a tick more than 1. I'd hope Stafford is more adept at running the 2 minute offense with 122 times in live action.

But in reality, I simply based those chances on the number of losses, plus comeback wins = number of opportunities. It's unfair to both of them because certainly, neither had that many actual opportunities. When you're trailing 35-10 going into the 4th quarter and never possess the ball with the score within 8 points, it's really not an opportunity IMHO. For instance, in Goff's rookie year, 7 losses, he had the ball trailing by 8 or less in the 4th quarter once, vs SF. He blew that chance for a comeback so he was actually 0 for 1 in 2016. After a review, he's actually 6 of 18 which is 33%. I wonder what percentage "the best" have in those situations?

Anyhow, like you, I've seen all of Goff's comebacks and haven't seen many of Stafford's. And also like you, Stafford's are more impressive to me because he's now the Rams QB. :biggrin:

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
Stafford is the QB. Move on...

Yea it's crazy how someone creating a Stafford thread to express his newfound excitement and highlighting all the things Stafford does well, has turned into another Goff vs Stafford thread. Its fucking ridiculous and I'm wondering when moderation will decide to step in because it's the same posters again and again. This thread should be a place where people can get excited about Stafford, not bitch about the trade and cry about Goff. There are countless other threads for that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First off, Stafford was drafted by an 0-16 team, yes, who had won 7 game the previous year. So yeah, the 0-16 sucked but how much worse were they than the Rams team that drafted Goff? Let's not make it sound like the Rams were on the verge of making the playoffs. They were barely on the verge of making it to .500, which they didn't.

But fair enough lets include Goff's rookie season....6 comebacks in 33 chances. Stafford 31 comebacks in 122 chances. Stafford definitely has a better "comebacks to chances" average. Stafford has had the opportunity, on average, a tick more than 10 times per year with an average of 2.5 per. Goff has had the opportunity, on average, 6.6 times per season and converted, on average a tick more than 1. I'd hope Stafford is more adept at running the 2 minute offense with 122 times in live action.

But in reality, I simply based those chances on the number of losses, plus comeback wins = number of opportunities. It's unfair to both of them because certainly, neither had that many actual opportunities. When you're trailing 35-10 going into the 4th quarter and never possess the ball with the score within 8 points, it's really not an opportunity IMHO. For instance, in Goff's rookie year, 7 losses, he had the ball trailing by 8 or less in the 4th quarter once, vs SF. He blew that chance for a comeback so he was actually 0 for 1 in 2016. After a review, he's actually 6 of 18 which is 33%. I wonder what percentage "the best" have in those situations?

Anyhow, like you, I've seen all of Goff's comebacks and haven't seen many of Stafford's. And also like you, Stafford's are more impressive to me because he's now the Rams QB. :biggrin:

You also didn't mention my Lions/Chiefs vs Rams/Chiefs comparison.

It's not just that Stafford has had more opportunities because he played on a bad team - he lost opportunities that Goff didn't, such as the Chiefs example I gave above.

If a QB leads the offense down to get you the lead with two minutes to go and you end up losing because of the defense, it's not a 4th quarter comebacks, which makes it a really dumb stat.

And obviously if you do that for Goff you have to for Stafford too which would make his percentage look better

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
All the talk

All the different opinions

All the speculation

All of the different viewpoints

The answers will not be known.....

Until we see the first half of the 2021 season.

ST-Logo-2-May-18-250x250.jpg

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I watched a rerun of the Bears @Lions from week 1 of 2020 (I believe it was week 1 anyways). I was a little taken back by what I saw, and as someone earlier said; probably due to him not being OUR QB.

1. Pocket awareness/shiftiness that Goff can’t even sniff
2. Throws from multiple arm angles
3. Arm talent Goff can’t even sniff
4. What I want in the temperament of a QB Field General
5. That “It” “Passion for the game” or whatever you want to call it. Goff can’t even sniff what Stafford does
6. Looks for chunk plays
7. Head and stay still but eyes move...Basically sees more than Goff ever will probably

Just to name a few. I feel good about him under center. O line play needs to protect him. Offense needs to be ran wide open. Cam Akers is the RB he’s never had!
So Goff’s got a stuffy nose??

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You also didn't mention my Lions/Chiefs vs Rams/Chiefs comparison.

It's not just that Stafford has had more opportunities because he played on a bad team - he lost opportunities that Goff didn't, such as the Chiefs example I gave above.

If a QB leads the offense down to get you the lead with two minutes to go and you end up losing because of the defense, it's not a 4th quarter comebacks, which makes it a really dumb stat.

And obviously if you do that for Goff you have to for Stafford too which would make his percentage look better

Okay, so how many times did that happen to Stafford? How many times did it happen to Goff? I'm not arguing Stafford didn't have more 4th quarter comebacks than Goff (or a better percentage). He should have for God's sake....he's played 12 years and has run the 2 minute offense against live fire 3 times as much as Goff...if not more. I would hope he was better at it. And I'm glad he is, now that he's a Ram. But let's not add to the running misconception Goff is some bum and proof of that is he only had 6 fourth quarter comebacks (plus 1 of them was a gift). No need to debate his attributes and talent. He's gone. He's no longer a Ram. Stafford is the guy now.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
Farve was always over rated. never afraid of him.
The QB winzzzz crowd will hate this so, look away.

Brett Favre played on better teams for a better organization, so yes, he had a Super Bowl win and two appearances, along with a ton of playoff wins.

But Favre had his most efficient and arguably best season of his career at age 40 with the Vikings.

I always loved Favre and watched a lot of Vikings games that year - he looked different. Better. He had never played with someone like AP before.

This is what I see for Stafford coming to the Rams. Yes, he's not as good as Favre - but he's as good as Favre was at age 39
Just wait and he would throw the dumb pick.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
“Is it a level up?” Michael Brockers said. “In my heart, deeply, just understanding what [Stafford] brings, it’s a level up [over Goff]. It’s a level up.”