MY CASE for Patience

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Over the last two years we have been the youngest team in the league and are younger this yr. than last.

Over that span we have posted a 12-16-1 record which while no something to brag about had we wom two of the games we lost it would put you at 14-14-1 IOW average for a league which again being the youngest team in said league which you can't, in my world, say it's poor performance , experience counts more IMO than talent unless the talent differential is profound.
OF the four losses we've had since Sam went down I'm pretty certain WITH Sam we'd have gone 2-2 or better.

You give those teams "experience" and IMO the record is well above average

SO in the end ,I'm satisfied if no one else is

PhxRam

I really think people are tired of being told to be patient.

Three seperate head coaches have all said similar things. Be patient.

People are tired of being patient.

P.S. I agree with what you say.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
My case for patience:
1. Yes, we're young, and that means there's reason for optimism.
2. We have the highest cap hit on IR right now. That means our superstars/difference-makers are injured. Tough to win in this league without them.
3. 2nd? hardest schedule of the year, and possibly by the end of the year... The hardest. I'm not going to say this will get easier in the years to come with the NFC West dominance, but we know we can hang with the best.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I agree with this also. I believe the coaching or game planning has accounted for a couple of the losses at least! That's what bugs me the most about the team!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A Rebuild of this magnitude takes time.

Purging the roster takes more than one season for sure, but the Rams are also working through a complete culture change at the same time.

Those who believed this would be a quick fix were just fooling themselves.

Don't get me wrong either... I want to see the Rams leading the West and thinking about resting the starters during the last few games in preparation for the playoffs. I want that like last year too. Being patient does suck.

This time around is different for me though. Stan has real football people making real football decisions. People with years of experience. While there will be growing pains and bumps in the road during the transition from what we were (a fucking disaster) to what we will become.....

I believe the finished product will be well worth the wait.

nighttrain

Legend
Over the last two years we have been the youngest team in the league and are younger this yr. than last.

Over that span we have posted a 12-16-1 record which while no something to brag about had we wom two of the games we lost it would put you at 14-14-1 IOW average for a league which again being the youngest team in said league which you can't, in my world, say it's poor performance , experience counts more IMO than talent unless the talent differential is profound.
OF the four losses we've had since Sam went down I'm pretty certain WITH Sam we'd have gone 2-2 or better.

And we are doing it with back to back "most difficult schedules" in the league, and without SB for half this season
train

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I know the team is young and the teams they play are all the best of the best, for the most part. Hard to win any timie. Hope the coaching gets the most out of the talent we have! Just wonder if it's being done right?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The last time this team had a nice turnaround during a rebuild (Spags' 2nd season) people got antsy and lost patience...and then the team lost its ass. Again.
I'd hate to see history repeat itself. Again.
Like William Axl Rose Bailey once crooned, "Just a little patience."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A Rebuild of this magnitude takes time.

Purging the roster takes more than one season for sure, but the Rams are also working through a complete culture change at the same time.

Those who believed this would be a quick fix were just fooling themselves.

Don't get me wrong either... I want to see the Rams leading the West and thinking about resting the starters during the last few games in preparation for the playoffs. I want that like last year too. Being patient does suck.

This time around is different for me though. Stan has real football people making real football decisions. People with years of experience. While there will be growing pains and bumps in the road during the transition from what we were (a freaking disaster) to what we will become.....

I believe the finished product will be well worth the wait.

Too many people forget that most other teams didn't have as big a job as Fisher and Snead. This is the biggest mess any new HC and FO ever inherited and anyone that was thinking the Rams were going to win 10 or 11 or 12 games in this division was drinking more than just Kool-aid in my opinion.

Next year should be the year they challenge for a playoff spot, not the division I still (hate to say this) think that's is the Seahawks to lose for about 2-3 more years. But 10 wins will get a wild card and that's what I want to see next year.

If anyone still thinks they should have done that this year go to profootballreference.com and look at the Rams record and roster for the 5 years prior to Fisher and Snead showing up. You'll see blowout losses as a matter of routine and names on the roster and I mean all over it that aren't in the NFL anymore.

This was the mother of all rebuilds, this was not your garden variety rebuild.

duckhunter

Starter
I never did like the P sisters. Patience and Prudence were cold fish in bed. :nau:

Hey Thorbuddy, I was trying to follow you with adding up the wins and losses and was surprised when you ended up with 'way above average.' I was wondering. Would you do my taxes for me? :wink:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

Well said.

I agree completely.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Too many people forget that most other teams didn't have as big a job as Fisher and Snead. This is the biggest mess any new HC and FO ever inherited and anyone that was thinking the Rams were going to win 10 or 11 or 12 games in this division was drinking more than just Kool-aid in my opinion.

Next year should be the year they challenge for a playoff spot, not the division I still (hate to say this) think that's is the Seahawks to lose for about 2-3 more years. But 10 wins will get a wild card and that's what I want to see next year.

If anyone still thinks they should have done that this year go to profootballreference.com and look at the Rams record and roster for the 5 years prior to Fisher and Snead showing up. You'll see blowout losses as a matter of routine and names on the roster and I mean all over it that aren't in the NFL anymore.

I completely agree.
I think that there are several people out there that just do not realize the scope of the disaster that has been the St. Louis Rams and what it took to rebuild them.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn

I agree 100%. I'll say this, if Sam and this team isn't much improved next year Sam may not be the man to lead the team to the promise land

V3

Hall of Fame
I never expected the Rams to make the playoffs this year. That being said, I did expect to see certain players PROGRESS. That HAS NOT happened for many players. Jenkins, Quick, Pead, Austin, Givens, Brockers (to an extent), etc have all stagnated or gone backwards. The big free agent pick ups have mostly been flops, too. And then add in some of the head scratching coaching moves/decisions and it makes it pretty hard for me to digest this season. The lack of aggressiveness on defense, the soft coverage, the inability to use Austin properly, the non-use of the screen pass, the lack of playing certain players when it was evident to others that they should be playing sooner, etc, etc.

I'm NOT satisfied with this season and to say it's alright because they're young is just an excuse, IMO. Teams can still be competitive with young players. Between the number of high draft picks and big FA pickups, the team should have shown more than this. Progression of the young players is what I was mainly looking for this season. It hasn't happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I never expected the Rams to make the playoffs this year. That being said, I did expect to see certain players PROGRESS. That HAS NOT happened for many players. Jenkins, Quick, Pead, Austin, Givens, Brockers (to an extent), etc have all stagnated or gone backwards. The big free agent pick ups have mostly been flops, too. And then add in some of the head scratching coaching moves/decisions and it makes it pretty hard for me to digest this season. The lack of aggressiveness on defense, the soft coverage, the inability to use Austin properly, the non-use of the screen pass, the lack of playing certain players when it was evident to others that they should be playing sooner, etc, etc.

I'm NOT satisfied with this season and to say it's alright because they're young is just an excuse, IMO. Teams can still be competitive with young players. Between the number of high draft picks and big FA pickups, the team should have shown more than this. Progression of the young players is what I was mainly looking for this season. It hasn't happened.

That's a reasonable take.

We can only look at what has happen or is happening to project what may happen next year.

I think there are mixed indicators. Some promising, some not.

Still, there have been cases where teams have made the jump that have looked rather uneven or worse the year before.

I do expect more changes in the off season, in players and coaches. And I do think that Fisher has to show us a lot more in his 3rd year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah for sure there have been players that have been inconsistent and games where the teams is all of the map from good to bad but that's the price you pay to get back on track. As much as we have all suffered and want a winning team you have to see the kids grow up into winners, they don't become that overnight.

Next year is the year, as I have said since Fisher and Snead got here.

I'm always think of waterfield when this topic comes up. He used to post on the Huddle, and occasionally does on the Herd and a lot of you guys know him.

Anyway when Spagnuolo and Devaney and essentially everyone working for the Rams got fired he said he figured on 5-7 years because of how much had to be done.

This is harder than an expansion gig because you don't get extra picks, or extra cap dollars but you do get stuck with the previous regimes bad contracts and so on.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah for sure there have been players that have been inconsistent and games where the teams is all of the map from good to bad but that's the price you pay to get back on track. As much as we have all suffered and want a winning team you have to see the kids grow up into winners, they don't become that overnight.

Next year is the year, as I have said since Fisher and Snead got here.

I'm always think of waterfield when this topic comes up. He used to post on the Huddle, and occasionally does on the Herd and a lot of you guys know him.

Anyway when Spagnuolo and Devaney and essentially everyone working for the Rams got fired he said he figured on 5-7 years because of how much had to be done.

This is harder than an expansion gig because you don't get extra picks, or extra cap dollars but you do get stuck with the previous regimes bad contracts and so on.

Good old waterfield. He and I have shared spear fishing stories several times.

Has any regime ever walked into a situation with as many top draft picks as we have had since Fisher/Snead got here, 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 3 thirds, essentially they've had three drafts, and found 0 elite players.

I'm sick of seeing guys like Jeffery, Gordon, Allen come in and tear it up, while all that our receivers do is drop the ball.

I'm sick of hearing about how awful the Spags years were on one hand and looking at our pass D under him on the other (60.5%, 6.8ypa in 2011 vs 68.5%, 7.8ypa in 2013), how can a pass D which has spent $15m per year and two top 70 draft picks be performing worse than a D which lost DBs to IR every week :cray:.

But most of all I'm sick of being told that "It's all right, they're young."

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Has any regime ever walked into a situation with as many top draft picks as we have had since Fisher/Snead got here, 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 3 thirds, essentially they've had three drafts, and found 0 elite players.

I'm sick of seeing guys like Jeffery, Gordon, Allen come in and tear it up, while all that our receivers do is drop the ball.

I'm sick of hearing about how awful the Spags years were on one hand and looking at our pass D under him on the other (60.5%, 6.8ypa in 2011 vs 68.5%, 7.8ypa in 2013), how can a pass D which has spent $15m per year and two top 70 draft picks be performing worse than a D which lost DBs to IR every week :cray:.

But most of all I'm sick of being told that "It's all right, they're young."

No doubt, the results have been mixed. The Quick pick was a huge error by Snead. In a way, that pick was analogous to the Avery pick. The old regime was afraid of DJackson so they reached on Avery who no one was gonna take nearly that high. Same thing with Jeffery; Snead was afraid of Jeffery, he was fat, slow, whatever, so he reaches for Quick who no one was gonna take that high. The pathetic thing is that Snead and Fisher were patting themselves on the back for landing him, like he was this big secret surprise future superstar.

But let's not argue one pick. It's the view from 30,000 feet that counts. And so far not one Pro Bowl guy with 3 first rounder, 3 second rounders, and 3 third rounders. If we don't see these guys step up next year then we might as well have kept Devaney, at least he gave us Quinn.

BTW, how good is Snead's mentor Dimitroff in Atlanta? His drafts have sucked outside of Julio Jones who he paid a kings ransom for. Let's hope Snead is better than his old boss.