Memento's Final 2018 Draft. (HYPE)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
#178 overall - Alex Cappa, OT/OG, Humboldt State.

(Here's a small school offensive lineman in Cappa, who's been nitpicked. People are now saying he'll be a guard. I see their point, but I respectfully disagree. I think that he can be a solid swing tackle for us at first and learn everything he can from Whitworth before taking over.)
I like Cappa a lot, But I don't see him falling this far down in the actual Draft! JMHO

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, not sure what college passing records have to do with it. Mannion had his chance to shine last year vs San Fran and he totally blew it.
Yeah - 20/34 - 169 yards in his only action of the year playing without his starting O-line, and skill players. Yeah - that's blowing it. Please. Tom freaking Brady would have looked like shit in that game. I suppose Wade Phillips should be fired too because of that game. After all - our defense looked like warmed over dead. And get McVay the hell out of here.

Using that game as a litmus test for ANYTHING is beyond idiotic.

And I guess by your logic, we might as well not look at any QBs college stats. Yeah - that makes sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think Mannion is our best option. And he set Pac-12 records because he attempted more passes than anyone else.

I'd rather take a shot on an unknown who might be able to play than keep a guy I don't believe can play.
Dude - he had almost a 65% career completion rate at OSU playing for anything but a QB guru in Riley. Try again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude - he had almost a 65% career completion rate at OSU playing for anything but a QB guru in Riley. Try again.

Dude, he is 7th all time in career passing attempts in FBS history. His collegiate YPA was quite mediocre. What I said was spot on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah - 20/34 - 169 yards in his only action of the year playing without his starting O-line, and skill players. Yeah - that's blowing it. Please. Tom freaking Brady would have looked like crap in that game. I suppose Wade Phillips should be fired too because of that game. After all - our defense looked like warmed over dead. And get McVay the hell out of here.

Using that game as a litmus test for ANYTHING is beyond idiotic.

And I guess by your logic, we might as well not look at any QBs college stats. Yeah - that makes sense.
First of all, easy on the straw man stuff. Where did I say to completely ignore the stats? Go thru the all time passers and you have to go all the way down to #13, Philip Rivers to find a pro bowl player..
Mannion was terrible in that game. Wouldn't throw the ball down the field. Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas played. And sorry, but for a guy in his 3rd year, he should have played well. San Fran defense was terrible last year, and they couldn't move the ball.
I get it that youre a beaver fan, but he's immobile, has an elongated release and wont throw the ball down field.
Yup, I'm sure we could get equal ineptitude from Allen or a rookie
We'll see what happens

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, he is 7th all time in career passing attempts in FBS history. His collegiate YPA was quite mediocre. What I said was spot on.
1 outstanding year and 3 mediocre years in college. He was a compiler for sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all, easy on the straw man stuff. Where did I say to completely ignore the stats? Go thru the all time passers and you have to go all the way down to #13, Philip Rivers to find a pro bowl player..
Mannion was terrible in that game. Wouldn't throw the ball down the field. Josh Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper and Mike Thomas played. And sorry, but for a guy in his 3rd year, he should have played well. San Fran defense was terrible last year, and they couldn't move the ball.
I get it that youre a beaver fan, but he's immobile, has an elongated release and wont throw the ball down field.
We'll see what happens

Here's my problem with Mannion: He hasn't put out film in the NFL that shows he has the ability to run our offense effectively. Yes, I did not like when we drafted him. However, I give guys an opportunity to win me over with their play. Plenty of players have done so. Mannion hasn't. He's looked bad when he's played in the regular season, and he's looked mediocre when he's played in the preseason.

I'd much rather take a shot on Logan Woodside and see what he has to offer than a guy I don't believe can run this offense effectively if Goff goes down. The fact is that Mannion has attempted 50 regular season passes with 0 TDs, 1 Int, 3 fumbles, and a 4.7 YPA. The best thing I can say for him is that he doesn't throw a lot of Ints. But the offense also doesn't move the ball, and he struggles mightily to put the ball in the end-zone. He's the type of guy who will stall our offense if he has to play meaningful snaps. I'd rather take a chance on somebody else.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That was the only way those teams were moving the ball. They had virtually no O-line and their running game was mediocre at best. I'd definitely put his career and abilities above someone who kept losing the starting QB slot at that juggernaut program at Toledo.

And BTW - not a whole hell of a lot separating Mannion from Carr, Rivers, and Brees in your all important stat. And Brees' yd/attempt was a fair bit lower. Spot on indeed.

We'll see what happens
You are using one game where not only did we not have our starters in the game but where McVay himself said he called a vanilla game (paraphrasing). He threw downfield plenty in college when he had the receivers. Unfortunately, he had Wheaton for two years and Cooks for three and virtually nothing else his entire career. And frankly, Goff threw downfield HOW much in his first season with the Rams? With our starters in?

I'm not going to say Mannion has a Goff like quick release but the release issue is far overblown as he shortens it up on quick throws. But go ahead and watch his actual college highlights and see for yourself. It's a bunch of revisionist history. He made plays and he somehow avoided being sacked virtually every pass attempt with unarguably the worst O-line in the Pac 12.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was the only way those teams were moving the ball. They had virtually no O-line and their running game was mediocre at best. I'd definitely put his career and abilities above someone who kept losing the starting QB slot at that juggernaut program at Toledo.

How about a QB who spent three years on the bench at Northern Iowa?

I'll take the kid from Toledo. He's a better QB.

You are using one game where not only did we not have our starters in the game but where McVay himself said he called a vanilla game (paraphrasing). He threw downfield plenty in college when he had the receivers. Unfortunately, he had Wheaton for two years and Cooks for three and virtually nothing else his entire career. And frankly, Goff threw downfield HOW much in his first season with the Rams? With our starters in?

I'm not going to say Mannion has a Goff like quick release but the release issue is far overblown as he shortens it up on quick throws. But go ahead and watch his actual college highlights and see for yourself. It's a bunch of revisionist history. He made plays and he somehow avoided being sacked virtually every pass attempt with unarguably the worst O-line in the Pac 12.

I watched him plenty when he was in college. I thought he was not a quality prospect. I've watched every snap he's taken in the NFL, and I still don't think he's any good. The kid doesn't have it. I'd rather not accept that when he's forced to play because god forbid Goff gets hurt. I'd rather face that now and plan accordingly.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And for the record, I have said before and hold to that if we can improve the back-up QB level I’m all for it. But it is anything but a given that replacing Mannion does that and given the options IMO it doesn’t seem likely that happens this season. If I’m wrong, that’s great. Yeah I like the fact that I watched Mannion play his entire college career but not to the point that I wouldn’t want us to improve that or ANY position on the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it is anything but a given that replacing Mannion does that and given the options IMO it doesn’t seem likely that happens this season. If I’m wrong, that’s great.

This is the deepest and most talented QB Draft since 2012 imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And BTW - not a whole hell of a lot separating Mannion from Carr, Rivers, and Brees in your all important stat. And Brees' yd/attempt was a fair bit lower. Spot on indeed.

I’m not concerned with his college career. It’s his pro career that is the problem. His release is long, he locks on to his receivers. 76 of his 164 yards came on 2 plays against San Fran and both were incredible catches.
I don’t buy the vanilla play calling. The routes were run and he checked down.
The San Fran defense was not good.
It’s all good. We’ll see how it pans out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How about a QB who spent three years on the bench at Northern Iowa?

I'll take the kid from Toledo. He's a better QB.

I watched him plenty when he was in college. I thought he was not a quality prospect. I've watched every snap he's taken in the NFL, and I still don't think he's any good. The kid doesn't have it. I'd rather not accept that when he's forced to play because god forbid Goff gets hurt. I'd rather face that now and plan accordingly.
The Toledo kid has a weak arm and is small. He also played against inferior competition. Mannion was considered a better player coming out of college and would have been drafted in that round by another team if not for the Rams taking him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Toledo kid has a weak arm and is small. He also played against inferior competition. Mannion was considered a better player coming out of college and would have been drafted in that round by another team if not for the Rams taking him.

Mannion is big with a weak arm. Unlike Mannion, the Toledo kid has a compact release, good mobility, tremendous anticipation, quality mental processing speed, and good all-around mechanics. And he plays with an aggressive mindset.

I don't care if Mannion was considered the better player coming out of college. Arrelious Benn was considered a better player than Antonio Brown coming out of college. Give me Logan Woodside over Sean Mannion. I also call bullshit on Mannion being drafted in the 3rd round if the Rams hadn't taken him. He was drafted near the end of the 3rd, and none of the other teams picking in that round took a QB.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mannion is big with a weak arm. Unlike Mannion, the Toledo kid has a compact release, good mobility, tremendous anticipation, quality mental processing speed, and good all-around mechanics. And he plays with an aggressive mindset.

I don't care if Mannion was considered the better player coming out of college. Arrelious Benn was considered a better player than Antonio Brown coming out of college. Give me Logan Woodside over Sean Mannion. I also call bullcrap on Mannion being drafted in the 3rd round if the Rams hadn't taken him. He was drafted near the end of the 3rd, and none of the other teams picking in that round took a QB.
There were reports that GB and one other team were looking at him so it’s not a granted that they wouldn’t have taken him. Mannion has a weak arm is a BS statement. That notion isn’t backed up by one of the actual knocks on him that he relies on his arm strength rather than stepping into some of his passes. He has plenty of arm strength. He has been known to lack good lower body mechanics when rushed.

As it is, Woodside is likely to go undrafted. Guess we’ll see if he amounts to anything. I’m doubting him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I’m not concerned with his college career. It’s his pro career that is the problem. His release is long, he locks on to his receivers. 76 of his 164 yards came on 2 plays against San Fran and both were incredible catches.
I don’t buy the vanilla play calling. The routes were run and he checked down.
The San Fran defense was not good.
It’s all good. We’ll see how it pans out.
Look at Brady’s first few games playing with Super Bowl talent. That SF game and what little playing time Mannion has had means virtually zero.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There were reports that GB and one other team were looking at him so it’s not a granted that they wouldn’t have taken him. Mannion has a weak arm is a BS statement. That notion isn’t backed up by one of the actual knocks on him that he relies on his arm strength rather than stepping into some of his passes. He has plenty of arm strength. He has been known to lack good lower body mechanics when rushed.

As it is, Woodside is likely to go undrafted. Guess we’ll see if he amounts to anything. I’m doubting him.

Mannion has a weak arm. People always make the mistake of overrating the arm strength of tall QBs because they don't have to throw with as much arc to get the ball over the trenches. Mannion, like Mike Glennon and Nick Foles, does not drive the ball well to the sidelines. He's an underwhelming physical talent. He's a smart kid who is a good teammate, but I don't trust him on the field.

How many games of Woodside's have you watched?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at Brady’s first few games playing with Super Bowl talent. That SF game and what little playing time Mannion has had means virtually zero.
You’re comparing Mannion to Brady? Wow.
On the contrary. Mannion had all season to learn the system and when he finally got a chance to play, he stunk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion seems like a good guy and I wish him the best. But lets be honest here. We're coming in to needing to pay a lot of guys big money. Are we going to keep around a guy who hasn't shown anything in his game action to make us have to keep him? Or are we going to draft a guy in the 6th round and pay our backup QB $3 million over the next 4 years or pay Mannion what current backup QB's make? The answer is simple to me. If we get a guy that McVay hand picks for the backup role I'm wishing Sean nothing but the best in his future home except when he plays us.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How many games of Woodside's have you watched?
Actual whole games? Zero. I've been watching tape and reading what other "experts" have said. What I see is that he has a weak arm, a low release point that amplifies his short stature, an over exaggerated shoulder push when he tries to put power into his passes, and a compact motion on short throws. I just don't see a pro level QB.

You’re comparing Mannion to Brady? Wow.
On the contrary. Mannion had all season to learn the system and when he finally got a chance to play, he stunk.
Of course I'm not comparing Mannion to Brady. All it says is that if you judge QBs by either garbage time, or their first start or two, or even a game or two, you would be casting aside many very good QBs. That SF game is garbage in all facets. There is zero to be gleaned from it.
Mannion seems like a good guy and I wish him the best. But lets be honest here. We're coming in to needing to pay a lot of guys big money. Are we going to keep around a guy who hasn't shown anything in his game action to make us have to keep him? Or are we going to draft a guy in the 6th round and pay our backup QB $3 million over the next 4 years or pay Mannion what current backup QB's make? The answer is simple to me. If we get a guy that McVay hand picks for the backup role I'm wishing Sean nothing but the best in his future home except when he plays us.
It's somewhat my point. If we can get a guy to groom, grab him. We still have Mannion for another year on the cheap. He will also probably not garner any kind of a huge contract once his rookie deal is done as he (as has been abundantly noted) has no real NFL game film to boost his stock. After all - Keenum sucked until he didn't. Foles sucked except when he didn't.

My want for Mannion to succeed is thin compared to my desire to have the best option at back-up QB. If McVay thinks some other QB is a better option as our #2 this season - I'm all in. Do I think it's a good move without that? Nope. Will I bitch about letting Mannion go if we go in another direction? I may be bummed but - meh. I will just figure that McVay has a plan and clearly he knows better than me. Of course this is not the first time many here thought Mannion should be gone and yet....?