McVay told truth on "no timeout" on the onsides kick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I was really surprised, AND PROUD of McVay for saying he didn't call the timeout, and allowing for the fact that maybe the Titants would have the ball.

THough the Titans were offside, it looks llike the refs may have missed that,and hten gave the Rams another chance by saying the ball wasn't set. THE FG says the ball was set by the ref....whatever, it looks ike the Rams have favor---not like all 11+ win teams don't, right. [see the Saints game yesterday]

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As many times as we've been screwed over I figure they still owe us more. :cool:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I was really surprised, AND PROUD of McVay for saying he didn't call the timeout, and allowing for the fact that maybe the Titants would have the ball.

THough the Titans were offside, it looks llike the refs may have missed that,and hten gave the Rams another chance by saying the ball wasn't set. THE FG says the ball was set by the ref....whatever, it looks ike the Rams have favor---not like all 11+ win teams don't, right. [see the Saints game yesterday]

He probably wanted to save them since the Titans had all three timeouts, too, and the game was looking like one of those where whoever has the ball lasts, wins.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't understand this play at all. Was the on sides kick called back because the Rams weren't set? Was it ever explained what the official ruling was on this play?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think he was still confused by the chain of events that had just transpired. First there was a flag, then they picked it up, then it was a time-out, and then it was that the ball wasn't set. Additionally, the titans were apparently offsides during the kick. I mean, jeez, it's like those refs were just throwing whatever they could at the wall to see what would stick because they were caught with their pants down on that one. It was embarrassing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I didn't understand this play at all. Was the on sides kick called back because the Rams weren't set? Was it ever explained what the official ruling was on this play?
Here's Mularkey on that.

(on the explanation that the referees gave him for the overturned onside kick)
I don't even want to try and explain what they said.

LINK

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it's like those refs were just throwing whatever they could at the wall to see what would stick because they were caught with their pants down on that one. It was embarrassing.
a) I agree with this
b) the refs were looking to favor the Rams I believe.....I really believe this. You CAN NOT make up a time out that was never called....wow, they gave the Rams every chance to 'bail' from that situation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
a) I agree with this
b) the refs were looking to favor the Rams I believe.....I really believe this. You CAN NOT make up a time out that was never called....wow, they gave the Rams every chance to 'bail' from that situation.
Yep. It was beyond weird. I can understand why Steve Hoffman was so livid.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I mean, jeez, it's like those refs were just throwing whatever they could at the wall to see what would stick because they were caught with their pants down on that one. It was embarrassing.

The NFL is the worst officiated sport by a large margin and it's really hurting them badly.

Oh and have a Fly Kwanzaa everyone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Oh and have a Fly Kwanzaa everyone.

And
224811-Merry-Christmas-Religious-Gif-.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
a) I agree with this
Bones called the timeout, which he's not allowed to do lol that's where the confusion started. Either way the refs hadn't ruled the ball in play yet apparently

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean, jeez, it's like those refs were just throwing whatever they could at the wall to see what would stick because they were caught with their pants down on that one. It was embarrassing.

I agree and if the refs were caught with their pants down, then part of that is on the Titans. Even when I played in high school, we always let the refs know any trick plays we were going to run beforehand. The Titans were running a new type of play here that really rode the fine edge of the law, and it greatly enhances their chances of success if they would let the crew chief know that this play is a possibility.

The goal is to fake out the Rams, not the refs. The Titans lack of disclosure totally played in our favor.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Heck, I coached high school football for 18 years and before EVERY kickoff the official waits until the teams are set before blowing his whistle to start play. I can't imagine an official blew a whistle yesterday before that bizarre play. Regardless, it was a learning experience for Bones and crew.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Refs fuck up...what's new...

I just hope they aren't betting on games..screwing us over for some bookie.

Just some terrible calls yesterday...and strange. The no call on Higbee...everyone HAD to see him moving...the false time out...was odd....I thought they were offsides on the play...but still...

This is the first time I can remember Fassel being out coached on special teams....Titans looked much better than us.

Hekker needs to work on his throws....Ficker....well, I would say he's garbage and could be easily replaced but somebody will tell me Fassel knows more than I could ever know about kicking...and my lying eyes don't know what they were looking at.......

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
NFL reff-ing reached a new low.:baghead: A crew that doesn't know only a HC can call a timeout?:thinking:

bluecoconuts

Legend
missed this, what happened?

After the Titans scored to go up 23-20, while the Rams players were talking before the kickoff, the Titans ran out and kicked an onside kick to the far sideline and recovered it.

The refs first threw a flag, but then picked it up and said the Rams called a timeout (so the ball wasn't live) Fassel, Goff, and McVay all said they didn't call it (So the Titans would have recovered it and had the ball again with a chance to widen the score), but the Refs then said they didn't call the ball in play, so it actually wasn't live, and they had to re-kick. Titans kicker I believe says he was told it was live, hinting they got cheated, but the Titans were offsides on the play anyway, so it didn't matter. If anything the Rams got jipped.

I believe Goff went right down and threw dime for the winning TD after, but it may have been another drive.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just some terrible calls yesterday...and strange. The no call on Higbee...everyone HAD to see him moving...the false time out...was odd....I thought they were offsides on the play...but still...

They were offsides so it didn't matter.

Higbee needs to work on the false starts, he got away with one there, but given every other play Quinn was being held in a fucking choke hold, its even. Quinn probably could have had 5 or 6 sacks yesterday the way he was being held, it was ridiculous, he abused Lewan.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quinn probably could have had 5 or 6 sacks yesterday the way he was being held, it was ridiculous, he abused Lewan.
Thought the Titan O-Line was pretty solid yesterday. Both tackles....and even Donald and Brockers were quiet...only the blitzers caused problems.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Thought the Titan O-Line was pretty solid yesterday. Both tackles....and even Donald and Brockers were quiet...only the blitzers caused problems.

They did a decent job with Donald, but they held Quinn a lot, I saw a blatant hold on most of their drives.