McVay indicates Rams' LB competition is wide open

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All I know is that I just got a pic of our D line behind the Rock and they look pretty intimidating...

RAMPAGE describes the monsters of our DL pretty accurately, actually...

Screen-Shot-2018-03-05-at-11.42.28-AM.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think our linebacking corps is in better shape than we realize.

We don't need a star at every level. But either Samsom or Obo will emerge as a star, because they are set up for success, with attention given to the three-headed beast inside, Donsuhbrock. :whistle:

Also, with our corners and back end taking receiver separation away, our edge guys will have that extra second or two to crush Jimmy, Wussle and Breakford. They will look good

I have the same thoughts about our NEW LB'er unit.

But who goes where & who starts still needs to be worked out. Our ER's unit does have some good numbers if nothing else. Appears we have NINE :shocked:mad: the moment. But only three ER's have any experience.

#1-Longacre 26-4
#2-Fox 23-3
#3-Ebukam 23-2
#4-Price 25-1
#5-Sickels 23-1
#6-Okoronkwo 23-R
#7-Young 23-R
#8-Lawler 23-R
#9-Womac 23-R

The weak side interior post has veteran Mark Barron & 3rd yr Cory Littleton both started there last season. Snead signed Ramik Wilson who also played the same post as Barron & Littleton. Wilson started in this post for KC in 2017/2016. So this internal weak-side LB'ing post is well stocked with experience with these three. Barron is our fastest Lb'er who ran the 40 4.5 sec. Wilson ran it 4.62 & Littleton ran it @ 4.73. I left out our 6th rd interior LB'er Howard who is 6-1 211 lbs is a safety prospect, but he played this Barron LB'ing position in college for 3 seasons. Rams need a serious hitter with some size @ safety.

The only real concern we may have will be @ the vacated Ogletree Strong Side inside post. Bryce Hager 6-237 lbs was the back up to this post last season & started 1 gm but finished 2 other gms for Ogletree. However Hager was also the back up to the Middle Lb'er post in Gregg Williams 43 Defense since he was drafted by Snead in 2015. The only other true MLB'er types are rookies Kiser & Scales. Kiser who is a thumper & has some size 6-2 240 gets some NFL gms under his belt I am sure he will be the future starter in this post. I would not sell Hager short as most our members have him as cut bait material already. I think he stands a good chance to start.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now my guess on the starters:

ROLB Oko

>>>>WILB Barron

>>>>SILB Littleton

LOLB Longacre

My thinking is Matt Longacre is ideal for a strongside role, and his contain is better than one would think for a guy who's not a freak/twitch athlete. What would be ideal is if Ebukam steps up and wins that job but either way the depth is key too. We might see Ebu vs Oko on the right side in camp, really can't wait to see how they project these guys/line them up when camp starts.

We agree here on our thoughts as to gets to work these ER posts. I do agree that rookie Okoronkwo should get the chance to work over the weak side along with Ebukam I like the ideal of those two fighting it our to start @ WS ER post. Womac might fit well in here too.

Longacre & Fox bring that tough DL mentality to the strong side ER post where Barwin started last season. These two have a good feel to it.Young also looks like this SS ER post fits his skill set too. So we look 3 deep here.

Rams have been wearing out Barron the last three seasons playing him inside. Barron has all kinds of injuries & early surgery in January this year. I think Barron is playing on borrowed time myself. So I would team Littleton with Barron once again @ that weak side inside post just in case Barron continues where he left off last season with health issues again.

I would look elsewhere to find our new starter in that Ogletree vacated post. Rams need a true run stopping thumper to operate this post this season. We have to stop the damn break of those big runs that sunk the 2017 season for us.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think our linebacking corps is in better shape than we realize.

We don't need a star at every level. But either Samsom or Obo will emerge as a star, because they are set up for success, with attention given to the three-headed beast inside, Donsuhbrock. :whistle:

Maybe. I do think the edge/contain will be better than last year, where it was downright horrific for the first half of the season and not exactly a playoff level group thereafter. Getting young legs in here that can do a better job with that was really the most important element for the defense, but there's going to be a minimum requirement in terms of how well they play for us to have an elite defense.

I do think they need to hit on one edge guy. Whether it's one of those young draftees, or Ebu, or whatever, they need to have someone opposite Longacre at a minimum. ILB is important too, but from my easy chair it's the edge play that will determine how far this defense progresses this year.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
ILB is important too, but from my easy chair it's the edge play that will determine how far this defense progresses this year.

I agree. the inside stuffer will be huge too. (Kiser?) but guys will be tempted to break more runs outside with our defensive front. The edge will be very huge. I'm sure Wade is on it.

By the way, from your easy chair, does she look fat it those pants?

dang

Legend
I agree. the inside stuffer will be huge too. (Kiser?) but guys will be tempted to break more runs outside with our defensive front. The edge will be very huge. I'm sure Wade is on it.

By the way, from your easy chair, does she look fat it those pants?
I think between Littleton Kiser Scales and Ramik we have our MILB run stuffer opposite Barron. I am not as confident with our Edge players this yesr. I am optimistic OBO and/or Ebukam are potentials but not so sure of our depth after that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe. I do think the edge/contain will be better than last year, where it was downright horrific for the first half of the season and not exactly a playoff level group thereafter. Getting young legs in here that can do a better job with that was really the most important element for the defense, but there's going to be a minimum requirement in terms of how well they play for us to have an elite defense.

I do think they need to hit on one edge guy. Whether it's one of those young draftees, or Ebu, or whatever, they need to have someone opposite Longacre at a minimum. ILB is important too, but from my easy chair it's the edge play that will determine how far this defense progresses this year.

Samson pretty much has proven he will be able to handle the Barwin spot.Depth will be the factor there.
D. Easley is a first round pick that no one is even talking about. Morgan Fox might move back from DE To OLB , which at one point he was a twiner DT.
Westbrook’s as well holds the DL. As far as ILB Kiser looks like he can play right now.Hager can play, but who is the QB on the defense??

There is so many DL man on rge roster.…

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Samson pretty much has proven he will be able to handle the Barwin spot.Depth will be the factor there.
D. Easley is a first round pick that no one is even talking about. Morgan Fox might move back from DE To OLB , which at one point he was a twiner DT.
Westbrook’s as well holds the DL. As far as ILB Kiser looks like he can play right now.Hager can play, but who is the QB on the defense??

There is so many DL man on rge roster.…

When Easley is your 4th best pass rushing interior defensive lineman....
Good lord!