McVay Confirms Starters Will Play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/22/nfl-rams-texans-injuries-preseason-week-3/

Gerald Everett, Josh Reynolds among injured Rams ruled out vs. Texans
By: Cameron DaSilva

On Tuesday, McVay revealed a few players who aren’t expected to be out there against Houston as they recover from various injuries. Those players are Gerald Everett, Josh Reynolds and Justin Davis.

“Yeah, so really, they’re making progress. They’re in the same boat as what they’ve been in. Gerald is not wearing that sling so he’s able to move around a little bit and Josh is doing some good rehab stuff. Justin, with the hamstring, is continuing to improve,” McVay said.

“So, if we’re able to see those guys in New Orleans that would be ideal, but we won’t expect to see those guys this week. We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to get those guys ready for New Orleans and if not, depending upon how everything shakes out, hopefully they’ll be ready to go for the Oakland game.”

Everett and Reynolds are both essentially locks to make the final roster, but Davis is far from that. He’s battling Malcolm Brown and John Kelly for a spot on the 53-man squad, so this is a troubling development for the second-year back.

Even for Reynolds and Everett, it’s not good news. It’s understandable that the Rams would want to take it slow with these two pass catchers, but at some point, you want to see them back on the field.

They’ll be sidelined for at least another week, which is disappointing in and of itself, but McVay’s last comment saying “hopefully they’ll be ready” for Week 1 is even worse.

As for other guys who will be held out, McVay said on Monday that Dominique Easley and Mark Barron are still working their way back from injuries, so they’re aiming to be ready for Week 1 at the very latest. McVay hopes Easley can play against the Saints in the preseason finale, but they’ll take it slow with him.

The same goes for a handful of veteran players, including Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan, who are unlikely to play in the preseason.

“There’s maybe a couple of those veteran players that we might rest – the Whitworths and Sullivans of the world – but everybody else we’ll expect to get ready to go and see them perform a little bit and get a chance to go against a great team in the Texans.”

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I can barely watch this. One of the worst ever :0

The worst ever was a hockey injury. A goalie got his throat cut by a skate, and he's lucky to have survived without lasting damage.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
*keys up Theismann career ending injury on YouTube....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mznBvAGScdg

giphy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-report-20180822-story.html

Robert Woods to finally see game action as he prepares to get up to speed
By GARY KLEIN

la-1534993251-7jlaem8dva-snap-image

Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times

Backed up to the six-yard line, the Rams sent receiver Robert Woods long against the Houston Texans last season.

Woods had produced some big moments in the Coliseum during an All-America career playing for USC. This was a chance to enjoy one as a pro.

He lined up on the right side, streaked up the field and got behind the secondary. Quarterback Jared Goff hit him in stride at the 50-yard line, and Woods dashed to the end zone for a career-long 94-yard touchdown.

A week after taking a short pass against the New York Giants and turning it into a 52-yard touchdown, Woods once again had shown Rams coaches that he was more than a sure-handed mid-range receiver.

“He even surprised us with his speed,” coach Sean McVay said this week.

On Saturday, the Rams play the Texans in a preseason game at the Coliseum.

It will be Woods’ first game since a playoff loss against the Atlanta Falcons in January, when the former Gardena Serra High star caught a season-high nine passes for 142 yards.

Nearly all Rams starters were held out in this year’s preseason games against the Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders, so Woods is looking forward to honing his timing with Goff and getting a feel for the offense at game speed before the Rams play the Raiders in a Sept. 10 season opener on “Monday Night Football.”

“It feels good here at practice, it feels crisp,” Woods said. “Just to work it against someone else will be good.”

Woods played four seasons for the Buffalo Bills before signing a five-year, $34-million contract with the Rams in 2017. Despite sitting out three games because of a shoulder injury, he caught 56 passes for 781 yards and five touchdowns for a team that averaged a league best 29.9 points a game.

During the offseason, the Rams added Brandin Cooks to a receiving corps that also includes Cooper Kupp, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds, among others.

New cornerback Aqib Talib said Woods was a tough matchup in practice because of his quickness off the line, route running, deceptive speed and deep-ball capability.

“He’s our most all-around receiver,” Talib said, “so it’s great work when you go against him.”

McVay said Woods’ “body lean” when running routes makes it difficult for defenders to read whether it will be a short, intermediate or deep pattern. His body control and speed enables him to separate and create space.

Coaches would like to see Woods employ “aggressive hands” this season, McVay said.

“He caught the ball last year,” McVay said, “but in some of those tight windows or balls away from your body, aggressively attacking it, going and snatching that football and ripping it into your body.”

In his second year in McVay’s offense, Woods wants to build on his success and produce more catch-and-run plays.

“That’s the biggest thing is being comfortable with the ball in my hands, and having the space to run,” he said.

Etc.

Right offensive tackle Rob Havenstein was given a rest day, McVay said. … Dominique Easley, who came off the physically-unable-to-perform list Monday, continued to work at outside linebacker. Easley was a defensive lineman his first four NFL seasons. “He’s playing limited reps right now as we’re kind of easing him back into the routine,” McVay said, ‘but he’s doing a nice job.”

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
man you guys are killing me with these videos. i snapped my leg in half a few years ago and cant even watch that stuff any more.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It says a lot that McVay will play Goff and trust Noteboom to guard his blindside @LT. I hope Watt and Goff don't get tangled up.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
man you guys are killing me with these videos. i snapped my leg in half a few years ago and cant even watch that stuff any more.
Broke ankle, broken arms 3 times, dislocated knee, forehead crushed. Please, I beg of you, no injury videos!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
best not to play Gurley or Goff if the Oline is going to have backups starting.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
back ups will benefit the most by playing against another team.

Let the starters sit. I'd rather they start the season rusty than on the DL.

Psycho_X

Legend
If the o-line was healthier and not as old I'd be all for letting the starters play this week. But yeah, I don't want the Texans teeing off on Goff and Gurley trying to make something happen behind a back up o-line. I think our defense is ready to destroy teams so our offense will have a game to shake that rust off and not have to score 40 points. :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
back ups will benefit the most by playing against another team.

Let the starters sit. I'd rather they start the season rusty than on the DL.

seems like you're gonna get your wish and see mannion with the firsts, well most of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It says a lot that McVay will play Goff and trust Noteboom to guard his blindside @LT. I hope Watt and Goff don't get tangled up.

I would not start Jared with Noteboom on the blindside. No way. Not in a preseason game.