McGee waived; Quick to be Active vs AZ

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Ponder this for a moment. All these moves have been to set up the plan all along. Fisher and Co. knew coming into the season that there O was going to look very different once Gurley came back . He also knew it probably prudent to give Quick some extra time after his severe injury to both heal and overcome it psychologically. On top of that, he knew he had an OL that needed some time to gel and mature. So, he game plans all off season for the opener against Seattle and we see the successful results. But that leaves his team a little vulnerable in week 2 on the road and we see that result. Week 3 was time to test Gurley but not too much and to give Quick that one more week of rest. He was probably banking on stealing a win there at home but had a bigger picture in mind.

We all know what Fisher and Snead have been trying to do is build this team to win in the division first. Knowing, in the long run, that winning in what was the toughest division at the time in football would surely spill over to winning overall. Maybe just maybe we are fixing to see our real O for the first time this week in Arizona. Could it be part of the reason Quick has been held back is the fact Fisher didn't want to show the true nature of his game plan until now? Wouldn't a win this week loom much larger than a win in one of the previous two weeks? I'm not saying Fisher and the Rams didn't try to win the last two games but I'm thinking he may have rolled the dice with a bigger picture in mind. Honestly, I think Fisher figured he didn't need Gurley or Quick to beat Washington. And I think at home against Pittsburgh, he put it all on his D to win the game thinking the O could do just enough to maybe squeak out the win.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Rams at Cardinals

Safety Maurice Alexander (groin) and defensive end Eugene Sims (knee) will miss the game for the Rams. Running back Chase Reynolds (knee, doubtful) is expected to join them. Running back Andre Ellington (knee) is questionable to return for the Cardinals, but wide receiver J.J. Nelson (shoulder) is out.

It is for what it is. "Key name is Reynolds. Looks like he is a hi probably to go'
"

Big Willie

Starter
I hope everyone knows, Quick is not the savior for this team. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get three balls thrown his way this game (not saying it won't happen, just wouldn't surprise me). Also, I expect at least two bonehead plays from him, lining up wrong to create and illegal formation, not fighting for a ball that creates an interception or an in opportune holding call. Having said that, he has to play. He has the ability to be a difference maker. Plus, Foles seems to be having trouble finding receivers or they are having trouble getting open. Like Britt, Cook (except he can't catch), Kendricks (him either), Quick Is big and can be seen easier and has a wider catching range. That has to help Foles.

I like Bryant too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm on the same boat as everyone else. Love what Bryant can bring, and stoked Quicky is coming back. Hopefully we see him make a few plays.

Please don't refer to Brian Quick as "Quicky" there is only one of them.
nhlbest_02.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Great news.

I'm guessing McGee goes back to the practice squad. Alexander's injury makes Bryant a better option right now.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
It is the other way around. just too much world class talent in receiving on this team now. Who are you going to cover: Quick? Britt? Austin? Cook? Kendricks? Bailey? Givens?

Pass to setup the run. Nick Foles will throw for 35 times this game. That will open up the running lanes for the best offensive player in this draft Gurley.

I am expecting a 59-0 Rams win. Truth.
My thoughts exactly. Throw on 1st down. Everyone is expecting the Rams to run run run. Setup the run with the pass. Like you say, they have the horses. I'd like to see 5 wideouts with Tavon in the backfield.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Don't expect him to be 100% yet. Injuries like that don't heal Quick. Just glad he's back in the lineup.
But then again, I was ecstatic too when Mark Clayton was back from that nasty knee injury in 2011 only for him to be irrelevant.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I think this speaks volumes about what the Rams think of Roberson, too. Clearly it was enough to cut McGee.

RamBill

Legend
Long wait is over for Quick
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f2dbd797-3db6-518b-853d-cbf0de5f4df5.html

Brian Quick was riding high last year at this time, with 16 catches for 235 yards through three games, one of those grabs being good for a 51-yard touchdown against Dallas.

The light switch had finally flipped on for the 2012 second-round draft pick out of Appalachian State. He was on pace to become the Rams’ first 1,000-yard receiver since “Big Game” Torry Holt in 2007.

But then came that severe season-ending shoulder injury in Game 7 at Kansas City, followed by surgery, rehab and the long wait. Quick spent most of the first three weeks of 2015 on the scout team, running the plays of that week’s opponent for the Rams’ defense.

For three weeks in a row he didn’t even get to put on the uniform, a game-day inactive against Seattle, Washington and Pittsburgh. What a depressing change of fortunes from a year ago.

It would’ve have been easy to scream: Why me? What’s going on?

“Never. Never,” Quick said Friday. “You can’t do that. As far as you preparing and working hard every day, and giving everything you have, you can’t have that mindset. Things happen.”

Despite the temptation to read more into the situation, his problem was pretty basic. Quick was rusty and not in the best of shape at the end of training camp. He had participated in only 30 offensive plays all preseason as he completed his rehab from the shoulder surgery.

Coach Jeff Fisher, who is big on special teams, decided to reserve one of five wide receiver slots on game-day for rookie Bradley Marquez — who has made the most of that opportunity as maybe the team’s top special teams performer so far.

Chris Givens, part of that same 2012 draft class with Quick, deserved the chance to be the No. 4 wideout based on a strong preseason.

That left Quick on the outside looking in.

“It wasn’t necessarily hard for me, there’s just certain things that you have to work through,” Quick said. “You just have to do it. It’s a must in the NFL because everything is critical. I mean everything — everything you do out there.

“Whenever my number was called, as far as when the coaching staff decided to bring me back (to the game-day roster), I was just prepared, making sure I was prepared for everything.”

Now, the long wait is over. With the offense struggling mightily the past two weeks and Quick in better football shape than he was a month ago, Fisher has decided to change things up.

Quick will be active Sunday, making his 2015 regular-season debut against the unbeaten Arizona Cardinals. Fisher, always hesitant to tip his hand on personnel matters, revealed the news after Friday’s practice with subtlety and without much elaboration.

When asked what he thought about Quick’s work in practice this week, Fisher replied: “Had a great week. I hope it carries over into the game.”

Does that mean he’ll be “up” on Sunday, came the follow-up question.

“I hope it carries over into the game,” Fisher replied.

So there you have it. Fisher actually had made up his mind early in the week on Quick. Although Quick never spilled the beans, it seemed like he had an extra bounce in his step all week.

“I’m really excited,” Quick said Friday. “I can’t wait to get out there with my brothers and try to get this win. Just go out there and fight.”

The good news for Quick probably means bad news for Givens. It won’t become official until the game-day inactives are announced Sunday, but Givens probably will be inactive against the Cardinals to make room for Quick.

At 6-3, 218 pounds, Quick gives quarterback Nick Foles another big target who can go up and get the ball against a talented Arizona secondary.

“The sky’s the limit for that guy,” Foles said a week ago before the Pittsburgh game. “So talented; such a big receiver. His ball skills are among the best I’ve seen, just how he goes up and gets it.”

Quick missed both games against the Cardinals last season following his shoulder injury, and played sparingly for the most part against them in 2012 and ’13, with only one catch for 16 yards in 69 snaps over four games. He was targeted only four times in those contests.

It’s uncertain how much work he’ll get Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium, but for openers it probably won’t exceed the snaps of Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin or even Stedman Bailey. For now, Quick will take what he can get. After all, just being out there is better than the alternative.

“Long time coming,” Quick said. “I’m just ready to go out there and take advantage of the opportunity that I have.”

Quick has spent extra time when possible with Foles after practice to build up their chemistry. He can frequently be seen on the JUGS machine both before and after practice working on his hands by catching extra passes.

He’ll enter the Arizona game with fresh legs and lots of pent-up energy from three weeks of game-day inactivity.

“I’m just gonna take the same approach that I always do as far as staying calm and staying focused,” Quick said. “Because as an offense you have to be calm and just do the little things right because it’s about details.

“You can’t go out there hyped and then you bust assignments and do the wrong thing. You have to be calm and just make sure that you take care of your business and handle all your assignments the way you’re supposed to.”

And catch the football.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Nobody will ever best Tom Baker for me, but Tennant was great. Also really enjoying Peter Capaldi, but I liked him in The Thick Of It, too.

Tennant was easily my favorite followed by Smith, but im only 31, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Hated Capaldi at first, but now love him and think he is a great choice. Just glad they lasted longer than Eccleston, no one likes a doctor who lasts one season right?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Ponder this for a moment. All these moves have been to set up the plan all along. Fisher and Co. knew coming into the season that there O was going to look very different once Gurley came back . He also knew it probably prudent to give Quick some extra time after his severe injury to both heal and overcome it psychologically. On top of that, he knew he had an OL that needed some time to gel and mature. So, he game plans all off season for the opener against Seattle and we see the successful results. But that leaves his team a little vulnerable in week 2 on the road and we see that result. Week 3 was time to test Gurley but not too much and to give Quick that one more week of rest. He was probably banking on stealing a win there at home but had a bigger picture in mind.

We all know what Fisher and Snead have been trying to do is build this team to win in the division first. Knowing, in the long run, that winning in what was the toughest division at the time in football would surely spill over to winning overall. Maybe just maybe we are fixing to see our real O for the first time this week in Arizona. Could it be part of the reason Quick has been held back is the fact Fisher didn't want to show the true nature of his game plan until now? Wouldn't a win this week loom much larger than a win in one of the previous two weeks? I'm not saying Fisher and the Rams didn't try to win the last two games but I'm thinking he may have rolled the dice with a bigger picture in mind. Honestly, I think Fisher figured he didn't need Gurley or Quick to beat Washington. And I think at home against Pittsburgh, he put it all on his D to win the game thinking the O could do just enough to maybe squeak out the win.

Everything you said makes perfect sense to me...I kind of think you give Fisher a little too much credit for having that whole scenario set up from the get-go...JMHO, of course

ram007

Starter

:gtfo:you are saying we had all this planned out before? No way!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like what limited action that I have seen from Christian Bryant so far. CB Bryant who is a former corner-back. In College, Bryant has lined up mostly at both safety positions & Nickel defensive back. Its my belief that we will be seeing a lot of him in the future.

The second release of CB McGee this season after being unhealthy for the last two season looks to be be a good move. We are seeing the clearing of the mud in or roster with McGee a Fisher 5th rd 2013 pick, along with the trade of Fishers 4th rd 2012 pick of WR Givens & earlier the release of Fisher's 2nd rd 2012 pick of RB Pead.....its time to seek new faces.

Back to CB Bryant....Fisher has 2016 UFA issues in his secondary. He has FIVE that will enter Free Agency (Jenkins-Johnson-Barron-McLeod & Davis). So a young tough DB like Bryant will sure come in handy. It will be a good ideal to see what Bryant can bring to this back end this season NOW!