Maybe not as Positive as it should be

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get the idea of having a dominant back but question how dominant any back can be running behind a lousy Oline. Maybe they feel that the difference between the 6 Olinemen taken in round1 and the rest of the pack is not enough to be concerned. I don't think any of this years Olinemen were clear cut prospects similar to others in recent drafts.

I just hope they get a few potential starting Olinemen. I fear that they continue to go BPA and don't end up with any. I get not forcing picks due to need but after round 1 it's okay to do. It's not like they haven't done it in the past. Brockers was a need pick all the way, they just moved to the appropriate spot to make sure the value was there. Ogletree was a need pick, Janoris was too. They really need some starting quality Olinemen if they are going to have a powerful running attack for years to come. If it takes some guys a year or two to get there then they need a starting point.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Dhaab, Memphis, 6 o line men were grabbed after the Rams picked Gurley. Are you saying NONE of those guys coulda helped us?

No I'm saying that I (and apparently the Rams) believe that Gurley was the best player available at #10 and that it would have been a mistake for the team to select a lesser rated player in an attempt to fill a need.

This is a deep OLine draft class. Besides, if they re-sign Barksdale that all but knocks out 4 of the 6 linemen selected so far after him, IMO.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Tre Mason isn't that terrible here but it's still more than I would like to see. Why he can't be happy to be part of a potentially amazing duo I don't know. Stacy knows his time is short. Look at the jack ass comment on Masons tweet.
View attachment 6147 Not sure I like what our backfield is tweeting.

View attachment 6147

Mason won't have to worry, having quality depth healthy throughout the season are what make teams play possessed throughout the end and postseason.

A55VA6

Legend
The only way a team gets better is by upgrading their positions. Gurley, Mason, Cunningham sounds pretty badass.

Goodbye, Zac Stacy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Question: is it not possible to still draft a dominant OL? Pretty sure not every Pro Bowl OL was drafted in the 1st. Here's where the scouts have to earn their money.

#dominatethelines #dobetterthanRokWatkins

WvuIN02

Starter
Seems like a luxury pick for a team without that luxury. Hopefully Foles can sidestep the stuff that Bradford could not.

Not to say he isn't a good player, but when you're drafting at 10.....need is pretty much always going to meet bpa.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like a luxury pick for a team without that luxury. Hopefully Foles can sidestep the stuff that Bradford could not.

Not to say he isn't a good player, but when you're drafting at 10.....need is pretty much always going to meet bpa.

when someone special is on the board you gotta take him. and judging by the presser both fisher and snead were of the opinion he was a special talent.

can you believe anything they say anymore? not sure but it looked like they were giddy.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Huh? Team needs don't influence player availability when it comes to the NFL draft. Each draft class is different.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I can see both sides of this argument but that being said, I love this pick.....a power back with speed.... ;).what about the injury? This is football. ..injuries happen....I've heard people critical of the knee injury but...every player eventually gets injured.... unless he had a real blessed career (real real lucky ). ..see Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice...maybe the big injury is out of the way? 2 more points

1.It wasn't a severe knee as was Lattimore.
2.Bpa....if it wasn't for injury most likely would have been a top five pick.

Don't panic. ..there are still a lot of options in this draft and free agents to build a better line....examples like Collins, Clemmings, Cann, not to mention resigning Barksdale or Long just to name a few.....maybe moving Saffold back outside to right tackle and drafting 2 guards plus signing Blaylock. ....also... I'm not for resigning Barksdale unless it's to a short term prove it to me contract or as depth...either way he needs become better or be replaced by better options.....any way we still have a long way to go...but we could still throw together a special offensive line to go with our Fantastic backfield. ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

FRO

Legend
Dhaab, Memphis, 6 o line men were grabbed after the Rams picked Gurley. Are you saying NONE of those guys coulda helped us?
None of them were on the same talent level as Gurley. None of them were even worthy of taking at 10. The only other player in this draft worthy of 10 was Parker.

Remember the Cardinals picked Levi Brown over AP due to need.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, those wanting an OLineman at #10 would have a slightly better argument if Scherff or Flowers were still on the board or if there were a bunch of trades which might suggest that they could have moved down and (mistakenly) went the perceived need route.

But, there were few trades. And with the exception of Peat (whose toughness has been questioned), the other OLinemen came off the board 9-18 picks AFTER the Rams made their selection.

And out of all of them (including Peat) the only good fits, IMO, might have been Erving #19 overall & Tomlinson #28 overall.

Peat and Humphries are LTs and the Rams already have Robinson at LT. If Peat's toughness is questioned, how does he fit a Jeff Fisher team? Humphries has had injury issues of his own and has struggled to maintain weight. And neither he or Ogbuehi (who has injury issues of his own) are good fits for a team with a power run scheme.

Just to blindly say the Rams should have selected an OLinemen simply disregards that teams pick players and not positions.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
IMO, those wanting an OLineman at #10 would have a slightly better argument if Scherff or Flowers were still on the board or if there were a bunch of trades which might suggest that they could have moved down and (mistakenly) went the perceived need route.

But, there were few trades. And with the exception of Peat (whose toughness has been questioned), the other OLinemen came off the board 9-18 picks AFTER the Rams made their selection.

And out of all of them (including Peat) the only good fits, IMO, might have been Erving #19 overall & Tomlinson #28 overall.

Peat and Humphries are LTs and the Rams already have Robinson at LT. If Peat's toughness is questioned, how does he fit a Jeff Fisher team? Humphries has had injury issues of his own and has struggled to maintain weight. And neither he or Ogbuehi (who has injury issues of his own) are not a good fit for a team with a power run scheme.

Just to blindly say the Rams should have selected an OLinemen simply disregards that teams pick players and not positions.
Yeah Erving would have been the guy I wanted. I did not want Peat. Some good linemen still out there.

Big Willie

Starter
As I see it, Gurley was one of the few on the board when the Rams drafted that had a chance to be a difference maker. We need guys who can be all-pros, and potential HOFers. He has the talent to be both, but nothing is for certain on those fronts. This was the Rams swinging for the fences (baseball reference, sorry) rather than taking a "JAG" that addresses their needs. IMHO, Barksdale returns, Blalock gets added and the only "open" spot becomes at center ( where Jones, Barnes and Rhaney compete). The Rams will still draft an OL, but will have more offensive talent in a rookie QB, upgrade at RB, and perhaps a WR who can push for playing time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We picked the best player available. If we would have selected an o-lineman, we would have been selecting a player that wasn't top 10 caliber. I love the pick.
That's a FACT!

WvuIN02

Starter
Shrug, as I said, hes a good player but I don't think he is AP special which is the only reason to warrant a top 10 pick on a rb imo. I think there were guys like Bud Dupree (most had him as a top 10 talent...Mayock ranked him 11th) who will absolutely blow up in the NFL and would have filled a huge need. How much of an upgrade is he? Tre Mason was great last year, and there was still Stacy who played very well too. The Rams LB corps is just not very good at all compared to the rest of the league and is seriously lacking.

Look at Dupree's 10 yard split (defining for that position)....the tape matches the freakish combine numbers ..42 inch vert at 265 lb and 6'4''

His 10 yard split was FASTER than Amari Coopers at almost 270 and he was forced to play multiple positions.......the Steelers got a 3 down guy who will dominate when he gets a little more polished and will be able to stay at 1 position. Trae Waynes is another plug and play guy who is perfect for this system since he dominates in press man since the Rams blitz probably more than any other team in the league.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you watched him play? I remember watching him his freshman year and just being in awe. He is very special. As far as his talent. I won't say he is AP good. But I'm not gonna say he can't be either. He has the best chance of anyone since AP was drafted to be that good. It had to be Parker or him to get quality value IMO.