Matthew Stafford can cement legacy in Los Angeles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Matthew Stafford can cement legacy in Los Angeles

Matthew Stafford is going to set career-highs in just about every category this season.

We know this because, if all goes according to plan, he's going to play a career-high 17 games in 2021.

But on a per-game basis, is there reason to believe the 33-year-old's best football is ahead of him in Los Angeles?

Sean McVay and Les Snead must think so.

And for many of the reasons discussed below, so do I.

But the primary reason I'm enthusiastic about the blockbuster move the Rams made before the Super Bowl doesn't have anything to do with Stafford. It has to do with a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Aaron's Era

Aaron Donald will turn 30 before the Rams see the field together again. He's an athletic marvel, and I venture into this discussion very hesitantly and humbly, fully expecting him to earn another six straight First-Team All-Pro honors.

Donald is under contract for four more years, by which time he'll have played his age 33 season, and realistically, I think that horizon is a fair approximation of what can be considered his prime.

Might he wreak havoc into his mid-and-late 30s? Sure.

However, the only man to win NFL Defensive Player of the Year after his 34th birthday was Reggie White in 1998 at 37-years-old.

If you can get better while Donald is still generating MVP discussion, and especially if you can get better at quarterback, I think it's incumbent upon the Rams to do so. Because his replacement isn't on the horizon, and even if he was, the likelihood of drafting said player is slim-to-none.

Clearly, this urgency isn't lost on the Rams.

Postseason Proof

"But Stafford's never won a playoff game," says the peanut gallery.

It's a bit paradoxical for a team that's in a Super Bowl window to be attempting to capitalize with a signal-caller who is 0-3 career in the postseason.

In fairness to Stafford, his last opportunity predates Harry and Meghan's engagement, and all three career chances were as the road team in the Wild Card round.

Andrew Whitworth hadn't won a playoff game before coming to Los Angeles, either, and that's worked out swimmingly.

Kneel Before The Comeback King

Perhaps Stafford's greatest attribute is his ability to steal victory from the jaws of defeat.

An astounding 42 percent of his career wins have been earned via fourth-quarter comebacks (31 out of 74), and no player has more such wins since Stafford's name was called atop the 2009 Draft.

While that's a welcome club to have in the bag, the goal for Stafford as a Ram should be to finish more games in victory formation than in the two-minute drill.

The Long Game

It was recently reported that Stafford played through a laundry list of wear and tear last season. And I asked Stafford how it feels to be seen as injury-prone, despite playing 16 games in nine of his 12 professional seasons, including all but one since 2011.

"Everybody out there is dealing with something," he said on the Rams Revealed podcast. "I'm excited to feel good going into this season and hopefully stay clean, stay healthy and help our team score a bunch of points."

Stafford confirmed that he'll be ready physically for whatever off-season program may come, and certainly training camp. To his point, as he joins forces with a contender, it should be stressed that his objective as a Ram is to be available for January and February. If some recalibrating needs to be done to prioritize protecting himself at the expense of a down, here's hoping that a change of scenery reinforces the need to play the long game in Los Angeles.

Great Expectations

So what are fair expectations of Stafford in his debut season in Horns?

To start, I'll take the under on his career-best total of 41 touchdowns in 2011, for a few reasons.

First, Jared Goff's 2018 was the closest approximation of this offense's apotheosis, and he passed for 32 touchdowns that season.

Second, if the Rams defense is even nearly as productive as they were a season ago, time and score may not necessitate putting up 30-plus points to win most weeks.

Thirdly, if Cam Akers and the running game deliver like we expect, 41 passing scores is a big number. Despite being an average offense in 2020, the Rams rushed for more touchdowns (19) than the scoring champion, Green Bay (16). They've averaged nearly 20 per season since McVay was hired.

What I'd be enthused about statistically is if Stafford can keep his interception percentage below 2.0, as he has for five consecutive seasons, and if he can set a new high-water mark for ANY/A (adjusted net yards per pass attempt).

But if I'm making a prediction for his traditional stat line in 2021, assuming 17 games?

67% completion | 4,900 yards | 35 touchdowns | 12 interceptions

MVP?

Would that be enough to catapult him into the NFL MVP conversation?

Depends on the Rams record, of course. But I wouldn't be surprised.

It's certainly not on Stafford's mind.

"Obviously, at the quarterback position, if you play well, your team's got a better chance of winning games. And when your team wins, people talk about you more," he said. "I'm not worried about all that kind of stuff. I'm just going to go out there and try to play as good of football as I can, put up a bunch of points for this offense, and cheer on what's a heck of a defense."

Best In West?

Whether or not he can outperform Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers, it's not an outrageous position for the Rams to feel like they now have the best quarterback in the division.

Russell Wilson is more accomplished and statistically impressive; no one is arguing otherwise.

But Wilson against the Rams and Wilson against the rest of the NFL are two different quarterbacks, and in that context, I think it's perfectly legitimate to say, "Give me McVay and Stafford and I'll take my chances."

As an aside, it's also remarkable that there was a time this off-season – and that time still might come – when Kyler Murray could have been the only returning quarterback in the West.

Help Him Help You

This isn't just about Stafford making Los Angeles better, though.

I think we all believe that Sean McVay and the Rams can bring out the best the quarterback has to offer.

Mike Golic, Jr. summarized this as succinctly as anyone in the wake of the trade, delineating all the things we know improve the performance of NFL quarterbacks and how McVay's Rams have stayed on the leading edge.

From pre-snap motion to play-action diet to some of the best in the world at scheming and executing yards after the catch, there's ample reason to believe Stafford is one of the off-season's biggest individual winners.

That, as much as anything, is why Stafford's best might be ahead of him, not behind in Detroit.

Can't Spell Legacy Without "L.A."

Which begs the question: How long is the horizon for Stafford and the Rams?

Let's take the optimistic view that the plan comes to fruition and the longtime Lion delivers the best quarterback play the Rams have enjoyed since returning to Los Angeles.

While his contract covers 2021 and 2022, it's hard to imagine both sides wouldn't want to extend the relationship so long as that championship window is open.

Would there be another proven commodity available at quarterback to steward the rest of Donald's prime (and that of Jalen Ramsey, for that matter)? If and when McVay ever drafts a quarterback, would he be groomed and ready by 2023?

Would Stafford want to transition to a new system for his late-30s? Or would the thought of retiring as the all-time passing leader of two different franchises be appealing? What might an All-Pro nod, an MVP honor, and especially a ring do for his standing within this Golden Era of quarterbacks?

Those are questions without concrete answers, of course. But they frame the next two seasons for the Rams, as well as Stafford's opportunity to improve his legacy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like most football fans, I never paid attention to Stafford. I mean who other then lion fans watches lion games?
If you had ask me before the trade what I thought of him, I would have said, eh he's ok.
But as soon as you start watching game film and paying attention, your opinion changes quiet a bit.
Why as a Ram fan, do I feel like we just found a 100.00 bill laying on the sidewalk and are
walking off, bill in hand, and a sly smile on our face?
Yeah I felt pretty bad after talking shit about the guy THEN watching his film and thinking "Oh shit!" The guy isn't Rodgers. But he's a damn fine QB and this is gonna be fun. :cool:(y)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Like most football fans, I never paid attention to Stafford. I mean who other then lion fans watches lion games?

Don't watch football on Thanksgiving? :biggrin:

If you had ask me before the trade what I thought of him, I would have said, eh he's ok. But as soon as you start watching game film and paying attention, your opinion changes quiet a bit.
Why as a Ram fan, do I feel like we just found a 100.00 bill laying on the sidewalk and are
walking off, bill in hand, and a sly smile on our face?

My opinion of Stafford has always been "the dude is good. He just happens to play on a shitty team". But yeah, we got lucky.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Interesting...

Missed games: Rodgers 9, Stafford 8
QB rating: Rodgers 103.6, Stafford 96.0
Yards passing: Rodgers 18,846, Stafford 19,133
TDs: Rodgers 155, Stafford 119
Ints: Rodgers 24, Stafford 46
Atts: Rodgers 2540, Stafford 2533
Comp: Rodgers 1652, Stafford 1652
Comp%: Rodgers 65.0, Stafford 65.2
Yds/Att: Rodgers 7.42, Stafford 7.55

That is 5 GREEN each.

Then... factor Detroit is the crappier team...

Sacked: Rodgers 162, Stafford 180
Tm Rush Att: GBay 1947, Detroit 1891
Tm Rush Yds: GBay 9005, Detroit 7339
Yds/Car: GBay 4.6, Detroit 3.9
Tm Wins: GBay 49, Detroit 32

Conclusion; Stafford > Rodgers.

tenor.gif
Can’t overlook Rodgers TD:INT ratio

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not if the Lions are playing. :beer2:

Well that explains why you knew little of Stafford before he was traded!! :p His last 8 Thanksgiving games (4-4) the last 9 years? A 95.0 QB rating, 213 of 334 (63.8%), 16 TDs 6 Ints, 2511 yds (7.52 per att), four 300+ yard games, including a 441 and 390. His average output for those 8 games: 26.6 for 41.8, 313.9 yds, 2 TDs, 0.75 Ints. There was a stretch from 2014 to 2016 (3-0), 84 of 123 (68.3%) for 959 yds (7.80 ypa), 8 TD, 0 Int, 113.2 Qb rating. Of course that was during the best 3 year run the Lions had with Stafford at QB (27-21; 2 PS app). So on a good team, he should play even better.

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Well that explains why you knew little of Stafford before he was traded!! :p His last 8 Thanksgiving games (4-4) the last 9 years? A 95.0 QB rating, 213 of 334 (63.8%), 16 TDs 6 Ints, 2511 yds (7.52 per att), four 300+ yard games, including a 441 and 390. His average output for those 8 games: 26.6 for 41.8, 313.9 yds, 2 TDs, 0.75 Ints. There was a stretch from 2014 to 2016 (3-0), 84 of 123 (68.3%) for 959 yds (7.80 ypa), 8 TD, 0 Int, 113.2 Qb rating. Of course that was during the best 3 year run the Lions had with Stafford at QB (27-21; 2 PS app). So on a good team, he should play even better.
Yea dude I have gotten slack in my old age. I have found myself only watching Ram games
or Playoff or Games directly affecting the RAms.
By the way dude you are one stat spitting, awesomely fact filled poster and I enjoy the hell out of your posts. Much Props :beer2:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I must say, the throw at the 4:45 mark....
No doubt. The clip right before that one though...that's a guaranteed sack with Goff in there.

I see everything from Stafford that we needed in 2020 and didn't get. Better feet, awareness, quick diagnoses, quick release. I'm pumped.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO Stafford is a SB win from being a HOF lock. Even without one he probably still gets in. We are blessed to be watching our team with 3 players on the current roster who will end up in the HOF. This team is loaded on both sides of the ball. They are experienced, and hungry. This year could be the start of a 3-4 year run for one or more Lombardi's. That is what I see when I look at this roster. I personally have never seen any team with a roster stacked like this one.

When you look at the young guys like Darious Williams, Fuller, Rapp, Akers, Henderson all on the rise and add it the potential of the new rookies Tutu, Rochell, Harris and even Funk and Garrett this team is solid and deep. This team is primed and Stafford might have been the final lynchpin to set it all in motion.

Stafford has a wealth of receiving talent in Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Jackson, Higbee, Akers, Henderson and now add Tutu and Harris. He's going to be facing a whole lot of zone. His ability to read and anticipate is outstanding and I have absolutely no doubt that he will finally be recognized as the elite QB he is.

Stafford and Wilson are the only two elite QBs in the NFCW but only Stafford has a complete team on both sides of the ball around him. Matthew doesn't have to take the team on his back and carry them to wins and he's good enough to shred the zones he's going to face.
I am stoked and can't wait for the season to start. There isn't a team in the NFL that they can't match up with or dominate. Even Rodgers knows his GB team is deteriorating before his eyes and IMO it's why he's frustrated. That's why I'm glad the Rams have a GM like Snead who is always in the hunt.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO Stafford is a SB win from being a HOF lock. Even without one he probably still gets in. We are blessed to be watching our team with 3 players on the current roster who will end up in the HOF. This team is loaded on both sides of the ball. They are experienced, and hungry. This year could be the start of a 3-4 year run for one or more Lombardi's. That is what I see when I look at this roster. I personally have never seen any team with a roster stacked like this one.

When you look at the young guys like Darious Williams, Fuller, Rapp, Akers, Henderson all on the rise and add it the potential of the new rookies Tutu, Rochell, Harris and even Funk and Garrett this team is solid and deep. This team is primed and Stafford might have been the final lynchpin to set it all in motion.

Stafford has a wealth of receiving talent in Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Jackson, Higbee, Akers, Henderson and now add Tutu and Harris. He's going to be facing a whole lot of zone. His ability to read and anticipate is outstanding and I have absolutely no doubt that he will finally be recognized as the elite QB he is.

Stafford and Wilson are the only two elite QBs in the NFCW but only Stafford has a complete team on both sides of the ball around him. Matthew doesn't have to take the team on his back and carry them to wins and he's good enough to shred the zones he's going to face.
I am stoked and can't wait for the season to start. There isn't a team in the NFL that they can't match up with or dominate. Even Rodgers knows his GB team is deteriorating before his eyes and IMO it's why he's frustrated. That's why I'm glad the Rams have a GM like Snead who is always in the hunt.

I’m not going to get ahead of myself or count any of these QB’s in the NFC out.The San Jose team is 1 year out of The SuperBowl.Murray is a Freak of athlete & were 1 game from moving ahead of The Ram if he is healthy.Arizona did so much In the offseason.The Hags won the division.

It is a tough division & I hope you’re vision comes true.Who are The Rams 3 HOF players on the roster ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They put up a vid of him walking. I mean at least have him throwing a damn pass.