Matt Kalil

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
i was thinking of him as a LG, thots?

train

I think the Rams are comfortable with Noteboom at LG.

There are question marks about Matt Kalil. He didn't play well in 2017 and was out with knee injury last year. He is 33 YOA. Depending his health and the Rams plans he may be the best swing reserve tackle available at a reasonable price. Hard to give an educated answer without more info. I have my doubts of his value.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the idea of adding him, putting him at right guard, and moving Blythe to centre. I trust Noteboom more than Allen at this point.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What basis do you have for not trusting Allen?

I think the combination of his short arms and overall physicality. He also didn't have the same glowing reports as Noteboom did during the season. Yes, they are saying the right things now, but that is what you have to say when you don't want to appear desperate during negotiations.

Having so said, that doesn't mean I hate Allen. I just think he may need more time and I definitely trust Noteboom (and Kalil) more. Also, I think that adding Kalil and allowing Allen to stay as a backup helps the depth more than just grabbing a "b" name from the street.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
No. Time for our youth to grow. Notebook can handle the LG spot and then take over Withworth in 2020. Draft a guard to eventually step in at LG.

Talk about young Rams ?? Allen & Noteboom to start & Blythe starts at RG again ? The Rams will save a lot of money on a QB because Goff won’t be around.

Where is the depth ?? I will say stranger things have happened, but I can’t see that scenario at all.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick

Wow ?? Higbee ??? Disagree, but t do believe in trying to upgrade when possible.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Matt Kalil was drafted by the Vikings and I watched him pretty much flounder at left tackle every Sunday for five years. He signed a generous 5-year contract with the Panthers in 2017 and was released after just two years with the team. He is just not very good, IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thbe thiryink the Rams are comfortable with Noteboom at LG.

There are question marks about Matt Kalil. He didn't play well in 2017 and was out with knee injury last year. He is 33 YOA. Depending his health and the Rams plans he may be the best swing reserve tackle available at a reasonable price. Hard to give an educated answer without more info. I have my doubts of his value.
he is only 29, soon to thirty, i'm thinking of him as depth as RS old position. As he is coming off a knee injury first and foremost he would have to pass a physical,

train

Ram65

Legend
he is only 29, soon to thirty, i'm thinking of him as depth as RS old position. As he is coming off a knee injury first and foremost he would have to pass a physical,

train

My bad on the age his brother Ryan is 33.

Partial quote from an article with his PPF grade of 50.4, "poor" in 2017. IIRC the Rams had a chance to draft his brother Ryan who had some very good seasons early in his career. Rams fan weren't happy as back in 2007 during the dark days when they could have used a OC. Matt could be living on his brothers early success of 5 pro bowls and 2 All pro seasons.

I don't know if he could transition to OG. Right now I would think he isn't on the Rams radar but, I could be wrong. We know the Rams will be looking all around to improve the team. They have big needs at backup on the offensive line.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...atings-every-carolina-panthers-player-offense
Offensive LVPs (played enough snaps for overall position ranking)
  1. Russell Shepard – 42.6 rating, #112 wide receiver. It was a rough year for Carolina’s new free agent addition. Shepard finished the season with just 17 receptions for 202 yards despite the Panthers being desperate for depth at the receiver position.
  2. Ryan Kalil – 49.8 rating, #26 center. This season was a tough one for the five-time Pro Bowler. A lingering neck injury limited Kalil to just six games this season and he was clearly limited when he did take the field. His 49.8 rating was well below that of his backup, Tyler Larsen, whom PFF rated at 67.8.
  3. Matt Kalil – 50.4 rating, #60 offensive tackle. Kalil joins Russell Shepard as a new 2017 free agent signee who struggled this year. Kalil was ranked as the No. 60 tackle by PFF, which is not great when considering there are 64 starting tackles in the NFL.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just more than a week removed from being cut by the Carolina Panthers, offensive tackle Matt Kalil did not take long to find himself a new franchise.The former fourth-overall pick signed with the Houston Texans on Friday, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported via sources.

Kalil, 29, began his NFL days as a standard in the Minnesota Vikings starting lineup -- earning a Pro Bowl bid in his rookie season -- but has ended up on injured reserve in two of the last three seasons.

Drafted in 2012 out of USC by the Vikings, Kalil was a stalwart at left tackle, starting every game over his first four seasons. However, in 2016, he played just two contests and finished on IR.

He moved on to the Panthers with a five-year deal and started every game in 2017, but never played in 2018 with a knee injury as the culprit. With injury problems and uneven play, his departure from the Panthers wasn't all that surprising.

Now, Kalil will likely battle for a starting spot at left tackle, better known as blocking Deshaun Watson's blindside.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You couldn't pay me to take Kalil. He's been a total bust - and this is coming from someone who wanted to draft Kalil with our first pick in the 2012 draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
be good ton know for how much?
anybody?

train

I think we are good to go with Noteboom, seems it may have been the plan all along with dealing on Saffold's CAP issues. As Rams fans, we were so burned by the Greg Robinson and Jason Smith fiasco draft picks, and coaches like Spagnuolo, Linehan & Fisher, we may still have some lingering trust issues with management, but we are in a new offensive era with McSnead & Kromer running the show. Until I see different, i'm guessing they have confidence in Brian Allen at Center also. We've gotten past the Barrett Jones, Tim Rhaney, Tim Barnes, Scott Wells & Jason Brown timezone, lets bury that history in a very deep place.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
You couldn't pay me to take Kalil. He's been a total bust - and this is coming from someone who wanted to draft Kalil with our first pick in the 2012 draft.
Well no. He wasn't a total bust. He did well up until he started getting injured. Then he was never the same. MN is in need of O-lineman and he was never even discussed at being brought back after being cut by the Panthers. Hell, I didn't even know he had been cut until today.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A few here think OLine is highly unlikely with the Rams first pick. I don't. I think there is a very big need and that an Olineman could end up being BPA by the time the Rams are picking. For example, Center Bradberry would fill a future or instant need. If he plays center, then Allen can move to guard or maybe stay as a backup.

If they draft a guard, then that guy will takeover for Noteboom when Whitworth retires. If there is a major injury to any current starters, then this unit will be in dire straights without a capable starter on the bench or to be shuffled along the line. They have to protect Goff and give him time to throw. Neither happens without addressing the line.

What basis do you have for not trusting Allen?

I'm not convinced that Allen is starter material either. His measurables are one reason, and his play in college is another. As a Big Ten fan I saw him enough. I always felt he was an undersized guy with a good motor and bulldog mentality. He didn't stand out. Kromer supposedly has brought along late round Olinemen in the past. Maybe he has Allen ready but I'm skeptical.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A few here think OLine is highly unlikely with the Rams first pick. I don't. I think there is a very big need and that an Olineman could end up being BPA by the time the Rams are picking.
This is my thought as well. If they don't get the impact defensive player there...i think they go BPA Oline.

dang

Legend
If they go BPA in first round it will likely be a DT/DE as there are many more DT/DE first round prospects than OL first round prospects. I definitely see one of the Rams 3rd round picks on a OL - maybe a versatile player like Connor McGovern - OC/OG Penn St.