Marcus Peters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You have to be very irresponsible to not be able to provide for future generations with $5mil. I agree AD and Peters both are worth more as players. But after $5mil-$10mil its gotta be more about winning than $ and if its not then you are not a "we not me" type of player or teammate.

I think they both matter tbh. Probably the money moreso early in the career when they're young and think they're gonna play forever. The location/fit/coaching quality become way more important later for those types especially the ones that get kicked around on a losing roster.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This goes for AD, Peters, and everyone else.

Being on a winner in LA will make a HUGE difference in post career earnings potential.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

are you practicing to become an agent, poston style?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
After AD, we MUST lock up Peters to a long term deal. I can't stress this enough. Disclaimer I assume GOFF will resign he "appear" to be a guy that won't be too "difficult" big picture wise to lock up

Edit: With AD price going through the roof I think Joyner is the guy that takes the fall next off season, and with Snead's record at finding DBs I'm okay with this biz move as we need to get Goff, Peters OL etc signed

Rainram

Starter
Next year Suh, and likely Joyner, will be off the books. We can afford Peters.

And still pay Goff, who we can probably sign to a much longer deal with a team-friendly structure.

What gets dicey in terms of the salary cap are guys on the OLine, and the ‘quality depth’ guys. We’ll likely lose some key role players and it will take good drafting and coaching. I think we have a good shot and doing well in both those areas so long as teams don’t keep poaching our coaches.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And still pay Goff, who we can probably sign to a much longer deal with a team-friendly structure.

i wonder if the rams have already taken advantage of that when they signed cooks and gurley.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

What gets dicey in terms of the salary cap are guys on the OLine, and the ‘quality depth’ guys. We’ll likely lose some key role players and it will take good drafting and coaching. I think we have a good shot and doing well in both those areas so long as teams don’t keep poaching our coaches.

Goff's gonna be a $30M+ guy. I don't think the Rams are gonna futz around too much with his contract, because what are they gonna do, not pay him?

Rainram

Starter
Goff's gonna be a $30M+ guy. I don't think the Rams are gonna futz around too much with his contract, because what are they gonna do, not pay him?

Nah...but they can backload his contract. And in a perfect world he’ll get a couple contracts from us. I’m just saying I think/hope he’ll be friendly in helping the team structure things a bit to keep a good team around him.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
But after $5mil-$10mil its gotta be more about winning than $ and if its not then you are not a "we not me" type of player or teammate.

Sooooo you think Gurley, Cooks, Whitworth, Brockers are not "we not me" type of players?

As others have pointed out $5-10 mil quickly becomes $2-4 mil which isn't that much in the grand scheme.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Sooooo you think Gurley, Cooks, Whitworth, Brockers are not "we not me" type of players?

As others have pointed out $5-10 mil quickly becomes $2-4 mil which isn't that much in the grand scheme.

None of the players you mentioned are holding out demanding more than the team is willing to pay them. I didnt say $5-10mil was all he is worth. What I said was everything beyond that is gravy. By the end of ADs 5th yr he will have made enough to set his family up for generations. So why not just take the $20ish mil/yr that is on the table. If $110 before taxes and agent isnt enough to set you up for generations, $25mil/ yr wont be enough either.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
No offense, but reminiscing on your glory days isn't gonna put food in your family's mouth 10 years after you've been unceremoniousally kicked to the curb.

Players should try to get as much money as they can because it's going to be much harder to come by once they've outlived their usefulness.

If Peters can't figure out how to survive off $10,810,932 and be smart with his money, then sorry I don't feel bad for players like him that are broke at the end of their careers. Not to mention he's gonna get a huge pay day by either the rams or the next team after this season. Free agent or not.

Even the guys who get a league minimum of 500k and only last 1 to 3 seasons. I still don't feel bad for them because most of those guys got a free college education. If they chose not to show up in college or take their education and their after-football career seriously then shame on them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Peters can't figure out how to survive off $10,810,932 and be smart with his money, then sorry I don't feel bad for players like him that are broke at the end of their careers. Not to mention he's gonna get a huge pay day by either the rams or the next team after this season. Free agent or not.

Even the guys who get a league minimum of 500k and only last 1 to 3 seasons. I still don't feel bad for them because most of those guys got a free college education. If they chose not to show up in college or take their education and their after-football career seriously then shame on them.
Yeah, a lot of guys/girls working regular jobs aren't that smart with their money in their early 20's, either. If you are being fair, you can't say that he must be smart enough to be wise with his money, at the same time as giving him hell for now trying to maximize his financial opportunity now. Besides, $11 million doesn't buy what it used to...:sneak:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah, a lot of guys/girls working regular jobs aren't that smart with their money in their early 20's, either. If you are being fair, you can't say that he must be smart enough to be wise with his money, at the same time as giving him hell for now trying to maximize his financial opportunity now. Besides, $11 million doesn't buy what it used to...:sneak:

haha I can't imagine someone writing me out a $10mil check and saying don't spend it all in one place.
I agree inflation has gone crazy. But people still live comfortably on a lot less a year and are happy about it.

I don't expect them to be responsible with that much money at their age. But I also don't shed a tear every time these high priced players cry about not getting paid enough *cough (AD).cough* It actually kind of pisses me off.
Here's some food for thought.
Have you ever heard an individual player getting paid league minimum complain about contracts or hold out until he gets paid what he wants? I sure as hell haven't. How come it's always the guys getting paid ridiculous amounts of money? Now you might come back and say that's what the CBA is for, and you're correct but you can see a real disparity among the top earners and the bottom feeders. And you never hear of the bottom feeders going broke after their short careers in the NFL. Wonder why? :thinking:

I can speculate that they are smarter with their money and have a plan once their glory days are over. JMHO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
haha I can't imagine someone writing me out a $10mil check and saying don't spend it all in one place.
I agree inflation has gone crazy. But people still live comfortably on a lot less a year and are happy about it.

I don't expect them to be responsible with that much money at their age. But I also don't shed a tear every time these high priced players cry about not getting paid enough *cough (AD).cough* It actually kind of pisses me off.
Here's some food for thought.
Have you ever heard an individual player getting paid league minimum complain about contracts or hold out until he gets paid what he wants? I sure as hell haven't. How come it's always the guys getting paid ridiculous amounts of money? Now you might come back and say that's what the CBA is for, and you're correct but you can see a real disparity among the top earners and the bottom feeders. And you never hear of the bottom feeders going broke after their short careers in the NFL. Wonder why? :thinking:

I can speculate that they are smarter with their money and have a plan once their glory days are over. JMHO

Because fairness in the NFL, as in life, doesn't exist. Those guys earning the league minimum know there are 100 or other swinging DNA rifles who would take their place in a minute, so they are quiet. Elite players know they are harder to replace, and so they can bargain without much fear of losing their job...because few can replace them..Supply and Demand, bro..

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, league minimum players who demand more and hold out are cut. They are easily replaceable, unlike stars.

Nobody reports on the finances of the bottom feeders, most likely because nobody really cares. It's not a good news story "somebody who wasn't paid very much, spent two years in the NFL with 4 teams, has to work a regular job. News at 11."

Now, they never get a chance to get used to a lavish lifestyle - but I spent 12 years driving by the Cardinals' training facility 5 days a week. I assure you that even the bottom feeders drive nice cars. Undoubtedly there are a few exceptions, but I've never seen so many luxury SUVs.

That said, I'd be happy if the CBA had higher minimums. It's hard on the bottom feeders to get paid for a couple of games then get cut, then have to drive cross country for the next opportunity, etc. Find a place to live, know they have to save enough money to work out all offseason in case they don't have a team.

But I don't begrudge top players wanting to get paid what they can. Between the millionaires and billionaires, I'd rather the CBA favored the millionaires a little bit more - they are the actual product we watch. However, I do want them to honor their contracts. And I do want them to be realistic on individual salaries, given it's a salary cap league. I do want the percentage of revenues to go back to where it used to be - the last CBA slashed it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Because fairness in the NFL, as in life, doesn't exist. Those guys earning the league minimum know there are 100 or other swinging DNA rifles who would take their place in a minute, so they are quiet. Elite players know they are harder to replace, and so they can bargain without much fear of losing their job...because few can replace them..Supply and Demand, bro..

I get that. However, I feel it's insulting that these guys getting paid 10's of millions of dollars complaining that 70mil should be 80mil guaranteed. That to me is just plain greed and insulting to us working class american's

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that. However, I feel it's insulting that these guys getting paid 10's of millions of dollars complaining that 70mil should be 80mil guaranteed. That to me is just plain greed and insulting to us working class american's
But don't you see that point of view is based in envy? Similar negotiations take place in corporate America for highly valuable employees, bu you don't hear about them, and NFL players can't keep such negotiations quiet, even if they wanted to... There used to be a time when NFL players had work regular jobs in the offseason, but that was long ago. I know if I was in a similar position, I would try to get as much as possible, so I can't be envious and down them for it...

btw..not trying to tell you how to feel. I was more trying explain why it pizzes me off....lol

Last edited:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
None of the players you mentioned are holding out demanding more than the team is willing to pay them. I didnt say $5-10mil was all he is worth. What I said was everything beyond that is gravy. By the end of ADs 5th yr he will have made enough to set his family up for generations. So why not just take the $20ish mil/yr that is on the table. If $110 before taxes and agent isnt enough to set you up for generations, $25mil/ yr wont be enough either.

And you did not qualify your statement based on hold-out...you simply stated
after $5mil-$10mil its gotta be more about winning than $ and if its not then you are not a "we not me" type of player or teammate

Peters has not held out yet so does your statement hold for him?

Why does the team get to say what is fair? So are you saying that an offer of $10 mil to AD or Goff or Peters and they should be happy with that - because the team says so and anymore than that and they don't care about winning? I mention those other players because they are getting more the $10 mil mark you mentioned...why? why them over others?

If AD has already made enough why even offer $20mil a year, why isn't $18mil a year enough....or $15mil....at what point would you think the Rams offer is not reasonable or respectable.

I will also add that we still do not know any real details, we have "reports" but that is certain to be true and certainly doesn't include terms like years, bonuses, guaranteed money, etc.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
But don't you see that point of view is based in envy? Similar negotiations take place in corporate America for highly valuable employees, bu you don't hear about them, and NFL players can't keep such negotiations quiet, even if they wanted to... There used to be a time when NFL players had work regular jobs in the offseason, but that was long ago. I know if I was in a similar position, I would try to get as much as possible, so I can't be envious and down them for it...

btw..not trying to tell you how to feel. I was more trying explain why it pizzes me off....lol

Yeah i totally see your point. Personally I'm upset with the way our society as a whole has gone. The direction is about power and greed nothing more. I mean it's been like that since before the days of the Roman Empire. So i can't be too surprised.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Whether it's irresponsible or not, it happens:

http://time.com/money/3821404/nfl-players-retire-bankruptcy-life-expectancy/

Get it while you can, because while it might be difficult to understand from a fan perspective, super bowl rings and platitudes aren't gonna be worth a damn when the decision makers decide you're not worth it anymore and all of a sudden you don't have an income.

And I'm not saying just go for the highest contract dollar amount, there's more profitability and personal satisfaction in playing for a winning organization and in a comfortable environment. But it's not worth the type of discount you seem to be alluding to, not for a league that cares as little about it's players as the NFL.
There are completely selfish reasons to stay with a good team, inflating your statistics for a future contract is one example already mentioned, endorsements being another.