Manti Te'o lied about girlfriend and her death

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Few stories are coming out now that apparently Manti Te'o not only didn't have his girlfriend die during the season, but she didn't even exist...

ESPN touches on it briefly..
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ently-hoax

Deadspin goes into much more, they seem to be the ones who are breaking it.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax

Short story seems to be that he and another guy made up a girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, and then had her die during the season. He made up stories about how he stuck with her through illnesses, everyone (including coaches who dedicated a game ball to her after a win when she had "died") were touched by his story of staying on the phone while she was in the hospital, and his struggle to play even though tragedy. His grandmother died (true) and then his girlfriend dies hours later (false)... The problem were that the pictures of her and stories about meeting her were all fake, and they were from a girl who had never even met him. And old classmate of hers teamed up with Manti to create the hoax.

Draft stock will plummet obviously from this.. I'm talking about he's out of the first round type plummet. Maybe even further.... The question now is do you want someone like this on your team? Someone who's willing to make up a girlfriend and have her die for sympathy and publicity for college awards?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's... Just... Sick... Weird... Bizzare...

Wow.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, he's in full damage control now, trying to play it off like the other guy just tricked him and he's an innocent victim in all of this...

But it's obvious he's full of shit. I don't buy for a second that he didn't know he was talking to a man when he was staying on the phone all night when "she" was in the hospital... Or that in the modern age he didn't talk to her on the phone, or send pictures back and fourth or skyped which each other. So either he's the dumbest person in the world, or he's full of shit.

I'll go with option B.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
Yeah, he's in full damage control now, trying to play it off like the other guy just tricked him and he's an innocent victim in all of this...

But it's obvious he's full of shyte. I don't buy for a second that he didn't know he was talking to a man when he was staying on the phone all night when "she" was in the hospital... Or that in the modern age he didn't talk to her on the phone, or send pictures back and fourth or skyped which each other. So either he's the dumbest person in the world, or he's full of shyte.

I'll go with option B.

Yeah, to deny it is like calling the rest of us stupid.

Wow.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
This is just an incredibly odd story. If it turns out that Te'o was making this up I wonder what happens to his draft status. If his best attribute is his character and he perpetrates a hoax then what does that do to teams considering drafting him?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
brokeu91 said:
This is just an incredibly odd story. If it turns out that Te'o was making this up I wonder what happens to his draft status. If his best attribute is his character and he perpetrates a hoax then what does that do to teams considering drafting him?

Good question.

What a weird situation.

bluecoconuts

Legend
You know that'll be the first question asked during the draft interviews.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
You know that'll be the first question asked during the draft interviews.

Can you trust his answer? :lmao:

Speeps

Starter
This is one of the most bizzare situations I've ever heard a top future draft pick getting caught in. It makes him look extremely immature, and scouts, GM's and coaches will be questioning his personality.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Sounds like gossip to me. Just let it play out & see what happens.

GO RAMS!!!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Now rumors are coming out that he's gay and it was a cover. Which doesn't really make sense, since you don't need to make a fake girlfriend and kill her off to prove your straight.

This is probably going to become weirder before clearer.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Now rumors are coming out that he's gay and it was a cover. Which doesn't really make sense, since you don't need to make a fake girlfriend and kill her off to prove your straight.

The Athletic Director is saying T'eo was the victim of an elaborate hoax. I dunno WHAT to believe anymore. The original story (the inspirational story) doesn't lend to the idea that he was being played, but I dunno. All I care about is it making him slip down the boards and fall in Snead's lap.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yep, I'm thinking the original story is probably correct. It's all damage control now. If it was a hoax, it was one hell of a hoax. Why would some random women agree to be someone she's not and sleep on the phone because her male friend asked? It doesn't make sense.

I think he slips regardless.

superfan24

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Yep, I'm thinking the original story is probably correct. It's all damage control now. If it was a hoax, it was one hell of a hoax. Why would some random women agree to be someone she's not and sleep on the phone because her male friend asked? It doesn't make sense.

I think he slips regardless.

Swarbrick is saying that they thought the offenders could be going for some extortion scheme when he gets all the NFL money.

superfan24

Starter
Well apparently Manti is speaking tomorrow so we will see....
I really wanna believe Swarbrick, I really do, but this is just so fucked up.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Happy WE don't need a MLB.

He played like a scared bitch against Bama if you ask me. Certainly didn't play like a Warrior,,, this Haole, who grew up as a young shit in Pearl City, was very disappointed in his lack of fight.

Now this. Fucked-up Brah.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

The Athletic Director is saying T'eo was the victim of an elaborate hoax. I dunno WHAT to believe anymore. The original story (the inspirational story) doesn't lend to the idea that he was being played, but I dunno. All I care about is it making him slip down the boards and fall in Snead's lap.

I would rather the Rams draft someone whose been arrested 8 times than this dude now.