Looming LT decision this off season..What is your hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I forsee Whit and the Rams parting ways and much to the chagrin of the Rams fanbase he will sign a deal with Cincy only to retire shortly thereafter
If that happens, I hope most Rams' fans would not have a problem with that.

Unfortunately, should Tampa win on Sunday, Whitworth has likely played his final game.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I forsee Whit and the Rams parting ways and much to the chagrin of the Rams fanbase he will sign a deal with Cincy only to retire shortly thereafter
I actually wondered if he would go back to Cincy and actually play one more yr. Do they have a quality LT? I forget.

And he could be that vet presence to help get Cincy over the top with their young QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If that happens, I hope most Rams' fans would not have a problem with that.

Unfortunately, should Tampa win on Sunday, Whitworth has likely played his final game.
Why is this a real thing ? Anyway he is still a Ram & probably The Best FA signing in Ram History.

We’ll see ??? I guess I didn’t read something?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is this a real thing ? Anyway he is still a Ram & probably The Best FA signing in Ram History.

We’ll see ??? I guess I didn’t read something?
I believe Kurt Warner holds that distinction, alas….

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I actually wondered if he would go back to Cincy and actually play one more yr. Do they have a quality LT? I forget.

And he could be that vet presence to help get Cincy over the top with their young QB.

Well that would just Freak up whatever relationship Whitworth & Sean Mcvay have together.

Still Whitworth is like McVays Bigger,Older Brother.

I actually think Whitworth really is digging the LA(Los Angeles),not Louisiana lifestyle.

Just to play along though would be the Joe Burrows connection & that would be from LSU alumni type thing.Then add the Bengals.

I actually think he said he would go in as a Ram. The quicker he retires the quicker he gets into The HOF.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe Kurt Warner holds that distinction, alas….

Ok Brenda!! Is that you ? How are the kids tonight? Now that the cards are out of it so we dare ROCK the Gold.

Maybe we leave it Red in memory of my new QB HOF brother Tom for when he get beat Sunday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ok Brenda!! Is that you ? How are the kids tonight? Now that the cards are out of it so we dare ROCK the Gold.

Maybe we leave it Red in memory of my new QB HOF brother Tom for when he get beat Sunday.
1642837669163.png

TexasRam

Legend
Noteboom certainly gets his fair shake at an audition for a payday. Going to go up against some pro bowl pass rushers in a pressure game vs the Bucs on the road - so we will see what his true value is.

Unless he plays lights out in this game, I would personally not pay him big money at this stage.

I would roll with A. Jackson and consider Edwards the LT backup plan. Shelton could be considered in the LG role in that scenario.

I am letting Allen test FA and resigning Corbett for continuity.

I wouldn't rule out Whitworth coming back on a restructure. He still grades out really well.

Unless we found a way to win the Super Bowl. Then he is off into the sunset obviously.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well that would just Freak up whatever relationship Whitworth & Sean Mcvay have together.

Still Whitworth is like McVays Bigger,Older Brother.

I actually think Whitworth really is digging the LA(Los Angeles),not Louisiana lifestyle.

Just to play along though would be the Joe Burrows connection & that would be from LSU alumni type thing.Then add the Bengals.

I actually think he said he would go in as a Ram. The quicker he retires the quicker he gets into The HOF.
First off the Rams likely want to move forward with the younger Noteboom so don't know why it would bother them.

2nd, the HOF is not like baseball, you "don't go in as a player for a specific team". That only happens in baseball because they put a hat on the players head for their bust. Thus they need a hat logo.

In the NFL they just list the teams you played for in their bio. I was there and saw it.

dang

Legend
Saints offseason will be so fun to watch. Even with the projected cap increase they're a metric shit ton over the cap.
With the Saints cap dilemma, QB situation and Thomas being a flake, they are close to rebuild mode.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the Saints cap dilemma, QB situation and Thomas being a flake, they are close to rebuild mode.
And what better way to start that rebuild than to trade your coach to the Cowboys after they late fire McCarthy for a couple first round picks :D Just give us another reason to dislike Dallas.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Noteboom certainly gets his fair shake at an audition for a payday. Going to go up against some pro bowl pass rushers in a pressure game vs the Bucs on the road - so we will see what his true value is.

Unless he plays lights out in this game, I would personally not pay him big money at this stage.

I would roll with A. Jackson and consider Edwards the LT backup plan. Shelton could be considered in the LG role in that scenario.

I am letting Allen test FA and resigning Corbett for continuity.

I wouldn't rule out Whitworth coming back on a restructure. He still grades out really well.

Unless we found a way to win the Super Bowl. Then he is off into the sunset obviously.
First off the Rams likely want to move forward with the younger Noteboom so don't know why it would bother them.

2nd, the HOF is not like baseball, you "don't go in as a player for a specific team". That only happens in baseball because they put a hat on the players head for their bust. Thus they need a hat logo.

In the NFL they just list the teams you played for in their bio. I was there and saw it.

I’ll bite.

Why would it bother The Rams ? Well why would Ram Fan think it is going to happen? First off most around here never thought he would make it through his first contract.

Noteboom ? The injury to Whitworth only comes at more of an expense.Noteboom is just as good as Whitworth at this point.I’d say there is no drop off & both players are playing at a high level.

HOF - will see how many Fans turn out ? I can’t even tell you what Warner’s HOF intro was like ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’ll bite.

Why would it bother The Rams ? Well why would Ram Fan think it is going to happen? First off most around here never thought he would make it through his first contract.

Noteboom ? The injury to Whitworth only comes at more of an expense.Noteboom is just as good as Whitworth at this point.I’d say there is no drop off & both players are playing at a high level.

HOF - will see how many Fans turn out ? I can’t even tell you what Warner’s HOF intro was like ?
Just some OL thought nuggets at this point in time.....2021 season from 2020-

Andrew Whitworth: 85.3 (-0.8), Joseph Noteboom: 78.1 (+2.3). JN will likely have the JPP assignment, which he faced in Week 10 of 2020. I agree with you not much difference between AW & JN in the overall performances but I would add that JN might be a better pass protector & that AW is better in the run blocking.

The biggest trench show on these line battles Sunday afternoon will not be on the edges but will be the center vs. those two inside DT's Vea & Suh. If McVay forgets about the run game this becomes a big problem for our interior OL'ers. Brian Allen is far better in his run blocking assignments even going up against an NT like Vea than pass blocking.

Did you notice :wow2::startstruck:that OL coach Carberry went with center Coleman Shelton as the Rams 6th OL'er on the right side edge in the Wild Card game after JN was inserted into starter @ LT? It was NOT the senior reserve OL Bobby Evans... what are your thoughts on that?

Shelton has demonstrated excellent mobility with accuracy to make those blocks on the move whereas Evans has had all kinds of whiffs & missed blocks when utilized as the 6th OL'er. IMO Shelton is a better run blocker on the edge than Noteboom when used as the 6th OL'er. He hits his target. Against this Buc defense, I would let this OL run block their posteriors off taking the manhandling approach to attack. This OL even without AW is fully healthy give them the chance to make these run blocks & shock o_Othe NFL world with a power game mentality even with having the super hyped-up skilled positions receivers on board. Bucs will be caught with their pink thongs & panties down.

The Bucs will prioritize stopping the run to force McVay & Stafford to primarily play their weaknesses. Bucs planning to squeeze out several crucial Stafford INT's by the end of the first half to control the game from that point in order to get the tight win. Bucs will protect their weak secondary in their game plan.

My conclusion is McVay must run and run again to wear down that veteran DL in the 2nd half utilizing all Michel, Akers, and Henderson keeping those RB's fresh with the ability to carry the game on their shoulders against the planning by the Bucs coaching staff. There is a 5 yr past History on McVay that tells them McVay will not stay with the run game in critical close games.

It's up to HC McVay to win this, he now has a full stud-horse corral to do just that for the first time this season! McVay also now has 2 very good RB pass catchers with very good speed (Akers/Henderson) to utilize for big gains after Stafford's short passes.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Whitworth is under contract next year. But his cap hit is $15.6 M a dead cap of $1.6M. When the Rams extended him they knew back then Noteboom was their LT going forward. His release will open $14 M in cap space to sign priority FAs. Whit knew this when he was extended. It's why earlier in the season he said he was headed for retirement after this season.

It's not even a question that the Whitworth isn't in the Ram's plans as a player after this year. I'm hoping they will sign him as an OL assistant as a possible replacement for Carberry if he should get a better offer elsewhere.

Havenstein's cap jumps to $9.6 M in 2023. Releasing him frees up about $5M so moving on from both Havenstein and Whitworth frees up $19M in cap space. That probably gets the rest of the OL FAs signed. Alaric Jackson has looked better than one might have expected and gives them a viable RT option. Carberry has done an incredible job in bringing him along. Most evals had him as a 3 yr project type of player. IMO if he continues to develop along his current track he can start at RT next year. He looks like he has better feet than Havenstein. Those heavy feet have always been the problem with Rob who has shown he's dead meat against speed and power.

I've been saying Edwards is the obvious weak link inside on the OL. I think they should start Shelton or Brewer at LG as they need an upgrade at that position. That said I think they will take an OG in this draft, probably in the 3rd, or 4th round with an OT in the 6th.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty sure Hendo isn't playing tomorrow.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whitworth is under contract next year. But his cap hit is $15.6 M a dead cap of $1.6M. When the Rams extended him they knew back then Noteboom was their LT going forward. His release will open $14 M in cap space to sign priority FAs. Whit knew this when he was extended. It's why earlier in the season he said he was headed for retirement after this season.

It's not even a question that the Whitworth isn't in the Ram's plans as a player after this year. I'm hoping they will sign him as an OL assistant as a possible replacement for Carberry if he should get a better offer elsewhere.

Havenstein's cap jumps to $9.6 M in 2023. Releasing him frees up about $5M so moving on from both Havenstein and Whitworth frees up $19M in cap space. That probably gets the rest of the OL FAs signed. Alaric Jackson has looked better than one might have expected and gives them a viable RT option. Carberry has done an incredible job in bringing him along. Most evals had him as a 3 yr project type of player. IMO if he continues to develop along his current track he can start at RT next year. He looks like he has better feet than Havenstein. Those heavy feet have always been the problem with Rob who has shown he's dead meat against speed and power.

I've been saying Edwards is the obvious weak link inside on the OL. I think they should start Shelton or Brewer at LG as they need an upgrade at that position. That said I think they will take an OG in this draft, probably in the 3rd, or 4th round with an OT in the 6th.
Subject: David Edwards starting LG......he is far more RT than RG or LG. His height works against him often being over 6-6 tall. Since the Rams do not need an RT but need an LG Edwards has been the best working part now for 2 seasons since the Noteboom debacle @ LG. This former 2019 5th round selection has helped this OL have winning seasons now since he arrived. Many Ram sites still have him listed as an OT.

David Edwards is starting on the very cheap $$$ side as far as starting LG's go in the NFL sure helps with the payments for all those aging stars accumulated the last 2 seasons. Edwards has one more season left here in LA & I would think that Edwards's graded performances would increase if he was starting @ RT in the NFL, His run blocking against shorter stout NT types cause him issues & always will.

Coleman Shelton's best skill is run blocking and hitting the secondary targets on the move. Don't think he would be the best LG taking on those pass-rushing DT Aaron Donald types coming in on Stafford's blindside. At this time I do not see a Ram reserve being groomed to replace Edwards looks to me the Rams do not have any. Tremayne Anchrum appears to have more RG skills than LG skills. Jackson is taller than Edwards @ 6-7 but might be the answer if there were a need to replace Edwards. Rookie Jackson has looked good in run blocking in cameo appearances.
Pretty sure Hendo isn't playing tomorrow.
You would be correct according to this report.