Looming LT decision this off season..What is your hope

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

LA Rams FA OT Joseph Noteboom: re-sign, sign, draft, or promote?​

View attachment 51359

The LA Rams have a number of potential free agents facing them as their contracts expire, but perhaps no single player will foster more debate than what to do with offensive tackle Joseph Noteboom. Noteboom is a player who has played in 47 games for the LA Rams over his four-season NFL career.

Over those four seasons, he has started just 17 games. Before injury in 2019, he played and started all six games at left guard. The following season, he resumed his starting role at left guard for two games before falling to injury. When he returned, he had lost his job to teammate David Edwards. He remained on the bench until starting left tackle Andrew Whitworth fell to injury in Week 9 against the Seattle Seahawks. The starting role then fell to Noteboom, who played well enough for the remaining seven games to help the LA Rams earn a playoff berth as the sixth seed.

Noteboom returned in 2021, the last year of his rookie contract, with no realistic chance of winning a starting role. But he was an experienced starter at both the left guard and the left tackle position, and he played well enough in both roles to be one of the team’s primary backups on the offensive line.

Durability, dependability, and versatility​

The LA Rams would need to tap that experience twice more during the 2021 NFL season. In Week 8, Noteboom would start in place of Whitworth again. This time it was to give Whitworth a chance to heal a banged-up knee. The rest worked, and Whitworth returned to duty the following week. Noteboom was clearly up to the challenge as the Rams dominated the Houston Texans by a score of 38-0 until the Rams pulled their starters.

In Week 14, Noteboom would be promoted to a starting role once again. This time, in place of right tackle Rob Havenstein, who had tested positive for COVID-19. Once more, Noteboom played well.

The LA Rams would need to count on Noteboom once more, this time in the Wildcard Round of the NFL Playoffs after Andrew Whitworth was shaken up after his ankle and knee were rolled up on by a Cardinals defender. Noteboom played the final 33 snaps of the game seamlessly.

Re-sign Noteboom​

Of course, the first and optimal option for any player the Rams were happy with starts with an extension or re-signing him. And I can assure you that the Rams are quite pleased with Noteboom. Like wanting nothing but the best for him. He would be someone who would be extended without hesitation if the organization had the money to do so. But the Rams Free Agency decisions are inherently complex. They currently have $190,313 available salary-cap space projected for 2022 (as of January 20, 2022).

The LA Rams know exactly who Joe Noteboom is, and what he is all about. He has shown up each year, put in the work, paid his dues, and deserves his big contract. But even more than that, he deserves his shot to start on an NFL offensive line. The trouble right now is that he has earned a shot to start at left tackle, the most vital position on an offensive line. But 40-year-old Andrew Whitworth shows no signs of slowing down.

What role to Rams see for 2022?​

If a team envisions Noteboom as a clear starter at offensive left tackle, Noteboom’s market price shoots up to a multi-year deal, say in the 3-4 year range, with an average per year that will run anywhere from $7-10 million. If the market insists that Noteboom is best valued as a versatile backup, then that deal will likely fall in the two-year range with a total valuation of $5-8 million.

Ideally, the Rams would prefer to get Noteboom signed to the latter contract. Even if they get him cheaply, do not think for a minute that the team would hesitate to start him. But look for a team like the Kansas City Chiefs, who are themselves projected to lose their offensive left tackle Orlando Brown Jr., to make a strong play for Noteboom. In the face of a bidding war, I would expect the Rams to pursue other avenues.

Absolutely no question in my mind ... re-sign him to start at LT, he's earned it imo. Letting Noteboom get away now would be regretful.
Injury wise, he's like the opposite of Saffold who was always getting hurt playing LT while playing well at LG. Noteboom has performed well at both LT & RT when called upon, but playing LG he's an accident waiting to happen. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, you cant tie up $13M in Whit when in he is getting nicked up more each yr.
I'm wondering if Whit will stick around on the cheap. His figure for next year is around $15m and obviously the Rams won't be paying him that (it carries a dead cap hit of less than $2m). Of all the guys who are on that list of potentially not returning maybe he's the one who will agree to a cheap extension that gives him a little dough and spreads that hit over the next couple years.

I mean there is probably zero chance the younger guys take discounted deals to stick around. No reason to expect that. But Whit is a different animal chasing that ring.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I mean there is probably zero chance the younger guys take discounted deals to stick around. No reason to expect that. But Whit is a different animal chasing that ring.

Get Whit 3 more wins this season and your question goes away.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Absolutely no question in my mind ... re-sign him to start at LT, he's earned it imo. Letting Noteboom get away now would be regretful.
Injury wise, he's like the opposite of Saffold who was always getting hurt playing LT while playing well at LG. Noteboom has performed well at both LT & RT when called upon, but playing LG he's an accident waiting to happen. jmo.
Back-to-back seasons NOW! ......when the 40 yr old LT Andrew Whitworth has come up lame & injured for the playoffs. Not his fault but the nature of the game. AW's playing performance due to an earlier injury to his knee last season in the playoffs resulted in a below-par weak 2020 season playoff performance.

Here the Rams fans go again where AW has knee & high ankle damage going into the 2021 season Divisional rounds. Read where AW may have missed all this week's practices but it's not like AW has any need for practice. Sure hope that Joseph Noteboom got all the #1 team snaps with AJ Jackson getting the #2 team snaps.

Noteboom can pass block as well as AW but there is a drop off in the run blocking with Noteboom. Rookie LT AJ Jackson is the exact opposite. Far better run blocking than pass blocking but Jackson appears like a super steal addition to this Ram team by Snead @ at this early point in his career.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This should be a no brainer.

Extend Boom at a fair price and let Whit ‘retire’ gracefully.

Boom knows this playbook and these other OL teammates like the back of his hand. Moreover, he is better than any draftee we will see at the tail end of the 3rd and as good if not better than any affordable FA That will be on the market.

Like I said, this is a no brainer.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Big Whit is officially out vs. Bucs. Noteboom time to shine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couldn't have drawn this up any better to help the Rams make that offseason decision. Rest up 77 hopefully we're still in this thing next week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This should be a no brainer.

Extend Boom at a fair price and let Whit ‘retire’ gracefully.

Boom knows this playbook and these other OL teammates like the back of his hand. Moreover, he is better than any draftee we will see at the tail end of the 3rd and as good if not better than any affordable FA That will be on the market.

Like I said, this is a no brainer.
On paper it's a no brainer. Then you hit FA or even get close to FA and Boom's agent is showing him what he's looking at getting in that highest bidder environment.

The fact the Rams haven't locked up Boom yet means he's gonna test FA. Him testing FA means there won't be "extend Boom at a fair price." If they keep Boom it will be "we made investing in Boom a priority."

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Can’t imagine a better opportunity to evaluate Boom one last time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On paper it's a no brainer. Then you hit FA or even get close to FA and Boom's agent is showing him what he's looking at getting in that highest bidder environment.

The fact the Rams haven't locked up Boom yet means he's gonna test FA. Him testing FA means there won't be "extend Boom at a fair price." If they keep Boom it will be "we made investing in Boom a priority."
We are going to need all residents of Salem, Missouri to help ole' Stanley Enos, "Pay the Man." Cas or checks preferred.... ~Rams

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm not all that concerned about how the Rams determine Noteboom's market value, his 2022 CAP hit is likely to be far lower than the scheduled hit we'd take if Whitworth's contract stood up for next year, especially if it's a longer term deal like 4 years. Noteboom's real concern is his guaranteed money and the length of his new contract, and like most highly paid players that remain at the top of their game, he'll either be extended before his most expensive contracted year (year 4), be traded, or become a CAP casualty.

Just as an example, say Noteboom signs a 4 year $52.mil contract with a $39mil. guarantee, his 2022 CAP hit might be closer to $7-8mil., and if Corbett signs a long term contract for what Spotrac estimates his market value is at, then adding both Noteboom & Corbett would be less of a 2022 CAP burden than what Whitworth is currently under contract for. Kind of a two for one deal ...
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Far more than the two starters RG Austin Corbett & OC Brian Allen who will also be UFA's in less than 2 months. Noteboom has to be one of the top #1 priorities when you consider the massive amounts of current & future team assets invested into the procurement of the franchised QB Mathew Stafford. You can not leave Mathew vulnerable to that blindside pressure.

There could be some debate that JN might be in the top 3 categories of pending UFA LT along with Terron Armstead said to have an MV of 4 yrs, $96 Mil Avg. Salary: $24 mil or Cam Robinson with an MV of 4 yrs, $68 mil with Avg. Salary: $17 million.

I do not think that Noteboom is the best & most complete UFA LT entering FA'cy but he is by far the best for the Rams Org. IMO. Noteboom has shown great maturity since he arrived & has always been a professional @ all times. Having JN & David Edwards starting on that left side in 2022 will provide Stafford a very good duo of pass protectors.

The RG post is not without a very good young cadre of prospective starters like fire hydrant 6-1 315 24/3 Tremayne Anchrum, 6-6 320 25/3 Chandler Brewer, 6-7 320 23/2 Alaric Jackson & Bobby Evans. It would not surprise me if Alaric Jackson does not grasp the starting RG post quickly in the OTA's. AJ is one nasty run blocker who comes alive in actual game prime time. He would make a good buddy for Havenstein on that right side.

The 2022Center situation is as clear as the Mississippi river's muddy water! Signing back up IOL RFA Shelton Coleman would be a very smart move.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Far more than the two starters RG Austin Corbett & OC Brian Allen who will also be UFA's in less than 2 months. Noteboom has to be one of the top #1 priorities when you consider the massive amounts of current & future team assets invested into the procurement of the franchised QB Mathew Stafford. You can not leave Mathew vulnerable to that blindside pressure.

There could be some debate that JN might be in the top 3 categories of pending UFA LT along with Terron Armstead said to have an MV of 4 yrs, $96 Mil Avg. Salary: $24 mil or Cam Robinson with an MV of 4 yrs, $68 mil with Avg. Salary: $17 million.

I do not think that Noteboom is the best & most complete UFA LT entering FA'cy but he is by far the best for the Rams Org. IMO. Noteboom has shown great maturity since he arrived & has always been a professional @ all times. Having JN & David Edwards starting on that left side in 2022 will provide Stafford a very good duo of pass protectors.

The RG post is not without a very good young cadre of prospective starters like fire hydrant 6-1 315 24/3 Tremayne Anchrum, 6-6 320 25/3 Chandler Brewer, 6-7 320 23/2 Alaric Jackson & Bobby Evans. It would not surprise me if Alaric Jackson does not grasp the starting RG post quickly in the OTA's. AJ is one nasty run blocker who comes alive in actual game prime time. He would make a good buddy for Havenstein on that right side.

The 2022Center situation is as clear as the Mississippi river's muddy water! Signing back up IOL RFA Shelton Coleman would be a very smart move.

It's difficult to say what kind of position the Rams create for themselves when it comes to potential free agent additions as there's a number of current players on our team who might be extended who can increase our 2022 CAP rather significantly, but one thing we do know is that drafting won't begin for us until late in the 3'rd round, so finding early starting caliber players may prove demanding.
Your paragraph alluding to potential RG candidates worries me a bit as I'd assume you believe Corbett may not return, and while that's possible, I'd be alarmed with those mentioned as possible replacements, at least based on what we've witnessed to date. If you have both Corbett and Allen as gone and Coleman starting, who is our back-up Center ? A late round draftee ?
I'd prefer re-signing Corbett to keep our OL as cohesive a unit as possible for Stafford, that and trying to get Allen to sign a 1 year 'show me' contract where he grows stronger & reduces injury concern.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's difficult to say what kind of position the Rams create for themselves when it comes to potential free agent additions as there's a number of current players on our team who might be extended who can increase our 2022 CAP rather significantly, but one thing we do know is that drafting won't begin for us until late in the 3'rd round, so finding early starting caliber players may prove demanding.
Your paragraph alluding to potential RG candidates worries me a bit as I'd assume you believe Corbett may not return, and while that's possible, I'd be alarmed with those mentioned as possible replacements, at least based on what we've witnessed to date. If you have both Corbett and Allen as gone and Coleman starting, who is our back-up Center ? A late round draftee ?
I'd prefer re-signing Corbett to keep our OL as cohesive a unit as possible for Stafford, that and trying to get Allen to sign a 1 year 'show me' contract where he grows stronger & reduces injury concern.
jmo.
Understood ....but paying & keeping OL'ers Corbett & Allen with a Noteboom departure spells disaster in my small mind.

Snead has never preferred to give much attention to paying UFA interior OL'ers $$$ over UFA exterior OL'ers.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Bring Whit back as an OL coach, offensive assistant, or some sort of consultant so he can be involved. Really hope McVay does this.

But next year is Noteboom's time to become the starter. That was the plan when he was drafted, no reason to abandon it now. Especially given the injuries Whit has had the last couple years. Not to mention the big $ we will be saving and need for Von and OBJ.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Understood ....but paying & keeping OL'ers Corbett & Allen with a Noteboom departure spells disaster in my small mind.

Snead has never preferred to give much attention to paying UFA interior OL'ers $$$ over UFA exterior OL'ers.

Why does Noteboom have to depart in this scenario ? Do you feel that there won't be enough CAP to get them all under contract ? I'd extend Stafford first, re-sign Noteboom second, Corbett third, then as mentioned earlier, try to get Allen to sign a one year 'prove it' deal.
jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I forsee Whit and the Rams parting ways and much to the chagrin of the Rams fanbase he will sign a deal with Cincy only to retire shortly thereafter