Looks like Raheem likes Shaun Jolley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's gonna be ugly for the 1st half of the season but I think you could make some arguments that the D could make some noise in the 2nd half if we hit on a couple guys and they develop.
The HAGS are going to be explosive!!! The niners as well depending on there QB,but still
might just have such a tough Run Game!!
The Rams schedule looks to be really tough early.I guess my hope is the can surprise & get a victory.
There is so many variables.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't mind inexperience at corner if the talent is good. We have a couple talented corners too in Durant and Tomlinson. The problem is size and physicality. Basically our corner group is going to have trouble with offenses that provide a lineup of big matchups. Also they may struggle in tackling vs the short pass game type offenses like SF.

Of course we usually struggle vs SF's offense on the underneath shit anyway. So going with guys who can jump routes and play with some aggression is not a bad thing. Main thing is going to be them staying healthy and if that happens I think our secondary will be solid. Not spectacular but we knew that already.
I find it funny you don’t bring up Kendrick.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Worst Secondary group incl Safeties in the NFL bar none imo. Everyone is small, underweight which amounts to busted tackles, height will be a factor when a 6'3" to 6'5" wr goes against them and consistently outjumps the cb. Fine in college because the competition is ragged at best. So these small corners look better. To me on the boundaries I want a big Richard Sherman like corner who can jump and defend not a 5'9" corner who maybe fast but undersized. I want a killer hard hitting safety and a real rangy FS that has the speed to makeup on a ball thrown. Currently we don't have any of that. This is our weakest area and it isn't remotely close. You want to be competitive this isn't the way to do it. Laughable when Durant comes out after only 5 games last year and declare he is the leader and will help the youngsters hilarious. He has zero track record. Not sure what the logic is with the brain trust regarding our defense because I see is giving up upwards of 30+ ppg hope I'm wrong.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Worst Secondary group incl Safeties in the NFL bar none imo. Everyone is small, underweight which amounts to busted tackles, height will be a factor when a 6'3" to 6'5" wr goes against them and consistently outjumps the cb. Fine in college because the competition is ragged at best. So these small corners look better. To me on the boundaries I want a big Richard Sherman like corner who can jump and defend not a 5'9" corner who maybe fast but undersized. I want a killer hard hitting safety and a real rangy FS that has the speed to makeup on a ball thrown. Currently we don't have any of that. This is our weakest area and it isn't remotely close. You want to be competitive this isn't the way to do it. Laughable when Durant comes out after only 5 games last year and declare he is the leader and will help the youngsters hilarious. He has zero track record. Not sure what the logic is with the brain trust regarding our defense because I see is giving up upwards of 30+ ppg hope I'm wrong.
It's far too early to tell... but my guess is that this secondary and overall defense will be a lot better than most expect.

Fuller was the starting safety for us on the defense that ended the season #1 overall. That same defense got plenty of contributions from guys like Micah Kiser and SJD... so it's not that far fetched we can get something out of the young guys we have now.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Gotta agree that our secondary is underwhelming. Very young and unproven equals growing pains. Also many fail to mention that not only is Durant being counted on to lead but he's taking over the CB1 role vs his role last year. Way different when you get the other team's best WR ever game. Durant definitely had some good play last year but now he's going to tasked with stopping every team's top WR. Thats a tall order, no pun intended.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I wouldn’t put too much on height: I honestly doubt that Jaire Alexander is more than 5’10”, at the absolute most, and he’s arguably one of the better ballhawking corners out there.

I have faith in Durant to be a great ballhawk, Hodges-Tomlinson has oodles of that same potential, and Jolly was kept on the roster after he was claimed on waivers from the Browns; I think he showed a fair bit of potential for us to keep him on the active roster all year. Rochell still has potential, as does Kendrick, LeCounte (whom we also kept for most of the year), and Vincent Gray, and there’s a bunch of intriguing UDFA rookie corners we’ve brought in.

At safety, we still have Fuller, Yeast, and Lake from last year, and a bunch of intriguing rookies in Taylor II, Rashad Torrence II, and Quindell Johnson, along with others.

Is it concerning about the lack of experience? Of course, but that’s the only way our secondary gets experienced; everyone’s been a rookie at some point.

It’s going to be a very young, very intriguing defense.

RamsUpPod

UDFA
Name
Mark
Not sure the OP's description of these two being the #1 to replace Ramsey is accurate. Raheem said they were using Durant and Jolly at the "star" position because they had the skill set to fit that role, not necessarily as #1 CB.
I'm thinking the plan is to use the taller CB's on the outside.
Yes, that's how I read it too. Which is why I was surprised to see Durant in that conversation. But I'll defer to Morris on where each of his DBs are best suited to play LOL.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Peoples heads gonna explode when the starting CBs are Rochelle and Kendricks on the outside and Durant at nickel/star.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Peoples heads gonna explode when the starting CBs are Rochelle and Kendricks on the outside and Durant at nickel/star.
I disagree, Vincent Gray & Rochell on the outside Durant as the Star with either Jolly & Tomlinson off the bench, but I could also see Durant manning the outside CB too. ABK...Anyone But Kendrick, he's just too slow IMHO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I disagree, Vincent Gray & Rochell on the outside Durant as the Star with either Jolly & Tomlinson off the bench, but I could also see Durant manning the outside CB too. ABK...Anyone But Kendrick, he's just too slow IMHO.
Oh, I'm just saying that's a scenario that has a good shot to happen that would have peeps heads explode, and perhaps most likely but probably not the ideal situation.

Last edited: