Looks like Raheem likes Shaun Jolley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
It might have been on Ramswire but in an article about replacing Ramsey as the #1 guy.... Raheem mentioned Durant and Jolley as being guys who could be the #1 guy...

Jolley has a solid skillset and ball skills... I would say it's interesting to me that Robert Rochell doesn't seem to be in the serious running yet to Crack the starting lineup... with Rochell being our only taller CB.. that means we may have 2 sub 6 foot CBs out wide. But we'll see

From what I remember Rochell has played well when give the chance.. particularly the Covid game at Arizona 2 years ago...and his size and speed are more than decent

But guys coming in are passing him on the depth chart

Looking forward to the preseason position battles

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I want to get a good look at Jolley this year in preseason before I get too high on him as a starter. But the DC calling you out at this point in his career cannot be a bad thing. Means he's been noticed so it's all good.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
At some point, we need some damn size at CB. Got a bunch of little dudes and it's going to be painful against big WRs.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Rochelle has the traits, but the dude came out of Central Arkansas. Reminds me of a CB version of Quick, has the traits, but may not be able to put it together in the NFL.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
At some point, we need some damn size at CB. Got a bunch of little dudes and it's going to be painful against big WRs.
Ramsey is a freak of nature. Jolly is short. Hodges-Tomlinson is short. Robey-Coleman was short and I'm pretty sure DWill wasn't tall. They managed. Just.need good vertical hops.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Ramsey is a freak of nature. Jolly is short. Hodges-Tomlinson is short. Robey-Coleman was short and I'm pretty sure DWill wasn't tall. They managed. Just.need good vertical hops.
Agree. At least when we had the short corners we had Ramsey with size

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm not going to get very excited. Morris also continues to praise Kendrick as well. Morris doesn't like tall fast CBs. Small boundary CBs are at a severe disadvantage. It's simple geometry, that a shorter CB has a smaller play radius so he must play physically tighter coverage than a taller CB. Smaller CBs playing on the boundaries are subject to injury more so than bigger CBs. I made this same argument when the Chargers insisted upon playing Jason Verrett outside. His career has been injury plagued. So it's a legitimate factor when looking at CBs.

I really feel Rochell will be released and go on and have a good career elsewhere. Morris doesn't like him so he's wasting his career on a team where he won't have a real opportunity.

Cameron McCutcheon is the guy they should be looking long and hard at to play opposite Durant. He is about 6'2" 200 lbs and ran a 4.57 at his pro day, which is fast for a man that size. He's exactly the type of CB you want in the red zone.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Nah DWill was getting exposed by by bigger, physical guys his last year here, that’s why he wasn’t resigned

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rochelle is not getting his name dropped from coaches and others.

That’s not a great sign, as the door is wide open for him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nah DWill was getting exposed by by bigger, physical guys his last year here, that’s why he wasn’t resigned
I think the explanation was that they asked DWill to do more after Hill went to the Browns but it didn’t work out. He’s strictly an outside corner.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Could this be another example that athletic traits aren’t the sole reason to draft someone. In Rochelle’s case he was very raw. Maybe being a 6th round pick would have been more appropriate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It might have been on Ramswire but in an article about replacing Ramsey as the #1 guy.... Raheem mentioned Durant and Jolley as being guys who could be the #1 guy...

Jolley has a solid skillset and ball skills... I would say it's interesting to me that Robert Rochell doesn't seem to be in the serious running yet to Crack the starting lineup... with Rochell being our only taller CB.. that means we may have 2 sub 6 foot CBs out wide. But we'll see

From what I remember Rochell has played well when give the chance.. particularly the Covid game at Arizona 2 years ago...and his size and speed are more than decent

But guys coming in are passing him on the depth chart

Looking forward to the preseason position battles
If Jolly is one of the best corners then that’s a bad sign

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Agree; plus the fact that as last year went from bad-to-worse, the coaches never put Rochell on the field.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
It is hard not to drink the Kool Aid this time of year, but the reality could be that we have the worst DB backfield in the league. A bunch of nobodies. Hope I'm wrong but have very little confidence in this group.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Not sure the OP's description of these two being the #1 to replace Ramsey is accurate. Raheem said they were using Durant and Jolly at the "star" position because they had the skill set to fit that role, not necessarily as #1 CB.
I'm thinking the plan is to use the taller CB's on the outside.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not sure the OP's description of these two being the #1 to replace Ramsey is accurate. Raheem said they were using Durant and Jolly at the "star" position because they had the skill set to fit that role, not necessarily as #1 CB.
I'm thinking the plan is to use the taller CB's on the outside.
Yeah, what I read was about the "star" position. Besides that, aren't we getting just a bit overboard with the "measurables"? We've got 10 CBs on the roster. 4 guys are 5'11" to 6'0". 3 guys are 6'2" to 6'3". 3 guys are 5'8'' to 5'10". If a guy is 5'11" and can jump 2 inches higher than a 6'0" DB, where's the liability? I think we get just a little too enamored with fractions and second tenths. The top 5 CBs in passes defensed all time includes 1 guy over 6'0" (Woodson). 3 are under 6'0". If you can really play corner well, it really doesn't matter how tall you might be. But I guess, if you're into measurables, it's a discussion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Shaun Jolly because he is a sticky CB, he is always in the hip pocket of the receiver. Other CB's like Kendrick do not have that ability, Jolly also has a decent vertical which can aid him with size matchups. However, other CB's on the roster with size like Rochell & Vincent Gray for example who is 6'2. Kendrick has size, but I really don't think much of him because he just does not have the ability to stick with receivers plus last year, he got lazy when tackling too.

I am hoping with the return of Aubrey Pleasant that lights a fire under both Rochell & Kendrick, but I like Jolly quite a bit and glad Morris made mention of him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know we were disappointed in Kendrick last year. But we tend to forget he was a late day 3 pick. In his first year. There's usually a reason a guy isn't picked sooner.

I think the expectations got too high when he was named a starter. Give him time and see if he can figure out the nuances of playing in the NFL compared to college. If not there are other guys competing for that spot.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
I know we were disappointed in Kendrick last year. But we tend to forget he was a late day 3 pick. In his first year. There's usually a reason a guy isn't picked sooner.

I think the expectations got too high when he was named a starter. Give him time and see if he can figure out the nuances of playing in the NFL compared to college. If not there are other guys competing for that spot.
Great point. But this is what worries me about our DB backfield. We have a lot of rookies or 2nd year guys trying to make a cohesive unit. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle. Or................