lol. Well done, Twitter.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fournette had about 100 at the END of the 1st quarter....
Fournette had 30 yards the rest of the night....

But I feel ya....seemed like he was setting up their play-action passes pretty good.

Point was that he was churnin the feet hard on every carry and wasn't easy to bring down with the yards after contact. Wasn't much after the big run but he was still keepin those feet going so you gotta wrap a dude like that up. So in that way I understand why Quinn slammed him there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It has nothing to do with breaking tackles you guys, he threw a player down after forward progress was stopped. If I know the rule how does he not know? I'm sure he does now.

This is one of those stupid penalties that's totally avoidable and at the wrong time can hurt a team.

It's not a BS call at all, it was a dumb mistake on Quinn's part.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
It has nothing to do with breaking tackles you guys, he threw a player down after forward progress was stopped. If I know the rule how does he not know? I'm sure he does now.

This is one of those stupid penalties that's totally avoidable and at the wrong time can hurt a team.

It's not a BS call at all, it was a dumb mistake on Quinn's part.

I agree.

Also looked like Quinn repeatedly lined up in the neutral zone, but was only flagged once.

I'm ready to see more of Longacre and the rookies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
he threw a player down after forward progress was stopped. If I know the rule how does he not know? I'm sure he does now.
If there's no whistle, there's no reason to stop. As I recall, that whistle came late - as he was starting to ragdoll that punkass Jags RB to the ground. I could be wrong about the timing of that whistle, so I'll post that play later on when I get home. The key will be when that whistle was actually blown though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If there's no whistle, there's no reason to stop. As I recall, that whistle came late - as he was starting to ragdoll that punkass Jags RB to the ground. I could be wrong about the timing of that whistle, so I'll post that play later on when I get home. The key will be when that whistle was actually blown though.

It's not just an after the whistle penalty though that's the thing. If forward progress is stopped or the player is being pushed backwards you can't toss him, if you do the refs can flag it. That's why you don't see this happen very often, everyone seems to know it's a penalty except Quinn. Unless it was out of frustration, which could happen.

And lets face it, refs are flag happy so it pays to err on the side of caution.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If forward progress is stopped or the player is being pushed backwards you can't toss him, if you do the refs can flag it.
Only if the play is whistled dead. Players aren't required to figure out when progress is stopped. That's the ref's job to tell them. We've all seen players get out of a grasp, break free, and pick up a bunch of extra yards. If Quinn lets Fournette go, and there's no whistle, then he can take off running.

Like I said though, we'll reexamine it later. Every week gives us the opportunity to microanalyse a play that had no bearing on the outcome. Lol.

Ellard80

Legend
I've seen sooooo many times that the player gets blasted even after the whistle is blowing... they never ever ever call it...

I couldn't believe they called that on Quinn.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Only if the play is whistled dead. Players aren't required to figure out when progress is stopped. That's the ref's job to tell them. We've all seen players get out of a grasp, break free, and pick up a bunch of extra yards. If Quinn lets Bortles go, and there's no whistle, then he can take off running.

Like I said though, we'll reexamine it later. Every week gives us the opportunity to microanalyse a play that had no bearing on the outcome. Lol.

I'm repeating what one of the experts said last year (IIRC) when a similar played occurred and a flag was thrown. Also I don't think it's the players responsibility to know that either but if that;s what happens it can be flagged. That's my recollection of the explanation.

@Ellard80 it's ticky tacky, like calling an illegal formation because a guy is a few inches off the line. But that's what we have.

I've never understood illegal formations, teams should be able to line up guys anywhere they want IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm ready to see more of Longacre and the rookies.

I've seen all I need to see from Longacre. Put him in.

After all he's from that football factory Northwest Missouri State, how can he not be great. Haha.

What position did he play in college?