Lions looking QB already?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That makes sense as a strategy. So does trading down from No 7 and getting more picks to rebuild the roster. Talking up qbs who you actually might want to pick doesn't.
Carolina at #8 appears to want to make a change at QB. If a team below them wants a QB, it may need to deal with Detroit at #7 and move up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like he's doing a good job of getting teams to target their first pick as a trade spot so he can boost his possible return if the player he wants isn't there. He learned well from Trader Les.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sure it's not a binary thought process.

Goff isn't a generational talent here and because of the cap flexibility they have they don't need to feel committed to him; what Goff does is gives the Lions flexibility in building the roster. Something none of the other trade offers gave the Lions.

They now have the flexibility to try to go for an upgrade at QB or stay put at QB. Had they gone with any of the other trades they most certainly would have had to been forced to take a QB high. Now they can see if a QB they like is available for the cost they'll pay in the draft and if not, they'll go to war with Jared and see what happens.

This isn't, they want to go to war with Jared, they don't want to go to war with Jared. It's much more fluid than that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Goff is going to surprise most of you since he has an all-pro center.
I don't think so but i truly wish him the best. What i mean is i'd expect some WOW throws mixed in with a bunch of MEH throws and when he has to improvise? Too many BAD throws.

Jared is one of the good guys though. I hope he has some success and the media gets off his back.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jared is one of the good guys though. I hope he has some success and the media gets off his back.

1614812557969.png

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Carolina at #8 appears to want to make a change at QB. If a team below them wants a QB, it may need to deal with Detroit at #7 and move up.

I dunno. At the end of the day, I am thinking it will be Carolina that will step up with the mega deal for Watson...

I don't think they're gonna draft a QB.

But as with all things this off-season, I'm probably totally wrong and the Carolina Panthers will have a Dolphin named Brutus Bigfinson flinging the rock... And when they beat the Miami Dolphins, headlines will ring out "Et tu, Brutus?"

I used to think the phrase "anything can happen" meant dreaming of flying cars, apartments on Mars and grandmas listening to Biggie spittin' bars.

In reality, it's lockdown, DNA rifle down, it's trading Jaeger for Meth,
It's mask frown, ass clown, breathin your own breath.

Now when someone says "anything can happen" all I can think of is "don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby!"

Sorry, haven't slept much in the last three days... did... did I just rhyme? I did. Sigh. What's worse is that this isn't transcription, I'm typing this out... I should sleep.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I dunno. At the end of the day, I am thinking it will be Carolina that will step up with the mega deal for Watson...

I don't think they're gonna draft a QB.
I was just using Carolina as an example.

San Francisco, New England, Washington, Pittsburgh and New Orleans could all be interested in a QB such as Fields, Lance or Mac Jones. Any or all could be available at #7.

When a team targets a specific QB, they sometimes are aggressive in moving into position to get their guy.

Detroit could sit at #7 and get a top WR, OL or perhaps the first or second defensive player in the Draft. If they make a deal with a QB-hungry team, the Lions could add three premium draft choices (say top-50 picks over the next two years).

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If a GREAT QB falls into their lap, they should take him. But they are in no hurry at this point. They have a starting caliber guy right now. And Goff is still young, he could always improve and become "the guy" for another 10 years.