Life After Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My answer to your question is: idk.

Too many variables right now. If he stays healthy and the Rams are competitive this season I think he stays.

If he gets a serious injury, his play drops off the face of the earth, or the season goes completely off the rails then all bets are off.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think Stafford and McVay leaving at the same time is a higher possibility than people are giving credit. I think it’s definitely on the table.

I think Stafford is playing well enough where he wants to compete for another Super Bowl. And if the Rams aren’t going to put the pieces around him to be able to make it happen, I could see him wanting to move on. And if Stafford moves on, I think McVay makes a similar decision. Because if Stafford is gone (traded, waived, retired, etc) there is a 99% chance the Rams will get worse at the QB position. And if you give this roster a league average QB, it won’t be competitive from a playoff standpoint. And I don’t think McVay wants to stick around for that. I don’t think he wants to rebuild with an unproven rookie QB that Les picks. I think he’ll “retire”, do TV for a year or 2, and then get a HC job with a ready made QB situation and budding roster.
I thinkest thou hast nailed it. It is quite possible that we are in the final days of both Staff and McVay.

~ArkyRamsFan~

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
now that I think about it maybe it is time for a new chapter. la fans will drop like flies, however.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For The Present.
And having drafted AJ you think they'll sign him to a long term deal? Or that he'd sign an extension for anything less than good starter money? I don't think so. So for me he's signed for one year unless I'm mistaken about his current contract.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's a strong possibility Stafford walks this offseason. There's also a slimmer chance he retires but he's gone on record saying he's got a few more years in him. Personally, I don't think the way this team is built right now gives him much of a reason to stick around - hopefully I'm wrong.

But lets assume I'm not and he walks after this season. What's the game plan? Draft a rookie, sign a vet, roll with Stetson?

Give me your thoughts.
I think it's all about LT. If the Rams can't figure out LT then it's not gonna matter who is at QB. No QB consistently plays well game to game with an unsettled blindside.

What makes Stafford special is he can elevate his play. Normal Stafford is pretty damn good. He will make beautiful passes, but he's a gunslinger and will force the ball at times to guys to give them a chance and gets burned. And he'll misfire at times too, which tbh all QBs do. But the gunslinger thing is real.

But 4 minute Stafford is one of the very best to ever do it. When he gets that look in his eye the dude is ridiculous.

So I think the key is first settling his protections so he's not getting hit so much. Rams have slowly invested more and more into this OL with him but LT is a glaring and potential disaster for the Rams. Even paying Jackson might not fix this. The dude had blood clots which I don't imagine get better with age, got suspended this year for some sort of bullshit, and sure he's playing well for us but what happens when he gets that bag.

The Rams are at a very big crossroads with LT. I think that decision will determine whether they build a team that has a contender window, or whether they end up needing to change QB and reload things to him. Also and btw he's got two elite possession options, but both have playstyles where they take a beating. He requires an X receiver with size and speed he can gunsling with. Type of guy he can put that ball on down the sideline when he's covered and still have a chance of a reception. Or a TE who adds those qualities even if he doesn't have the elite speed.

So if the Rams can't do those things then sure, maybe it's time to consider letting Stafford pick another team. But I think Stafford is here as long as McVay is here, and I hope he retires in horns.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
These threads are bad. Some of you people have not figured it out, but in this world if enough people start talking about or wanting something bad to happen it increases the likelihood of it happening. The same thing is true of something good happening.

Now history matters. And in the McSnead era they have not ever tried to do anything other than do the best they can and reload.
Never once have they had a fire sale to rebuild long term. Most of the pieces are here right now. Never have they embraced the suck.
We have pretty much the richest owner in football. No coach salary cap. Make him the highest paid coach in the NFL (despite his play calling rut) he deserves it. Simply re sign Stafford, he has shown no signs of slowing down or being brittle. Continue to fortify the O line.
If the Rams were not beat up they win this game easily. Coach and Stafford know it. We should too.
Now let this stupid fucking thread die.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Too early.

But, if the Rams wind up with a top 5 of so draft selection WITH STAFFORD, injuries or not, it might be time to move him as his contract is only going to be more expensive next year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Roll with Stafford. He said he wants the Gold Jacket and he might not get it if he retires now.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
These threads are bad. Some of you people have not figured it out, but in this world if enough people start talking about or wanting something bad to happen it increases the likelihood of it happening. The same thing is true of something good happening.

Now history matters. And in the McSnead era they have not ever tried to do anything other than do the best they can and reload.
Never once have they had a fire sale to rebuild long term. Most of the pieces are here right now. Never have they embraced the suck.
We have pretty much the richest owner in football. No coach salary cap. Make him the highest paid coach in the NFL (despite his play calling rut) he deserves it. Simply re sign Stafford, he has shown no signs of slowing down or being brittle. Continue to fortify the O line.
If the Rams were not beat up they win this game easily. Coach and Stafford know it. We should too.
Now let this stupid fucking thread die.
A long as coach and Stafford provide the same results you will Always get that's like this. It's not like these problems are anything new, just never addressing them and having the cheapest defense in the NFL does not make for a winning combo.

younghutch

UDFA
Who's the next "Stafford", i.e. veteran qb playing well but for a lousy team...for some reason I picture Trevor Lawrence or Will Levis or someone like them. This assumes Stafford plays another year or 2.

Or a reclamation project like Daniel Jones (but NOT Daniel Jones)

I don't know if McVay is the type to mold a brand new, fresh off the farm qb. He seems to gravitate to the vets.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I would love to see Trevor Lawrence under McVay if McVay altered his playstyle, but the chances of either are Nadddddaaa! :)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Who's the next "Stafford", i.e. veteran qb playing well but for a lousy team...for some reason I picture Trevor Lawrence or Will Levis or someone like them. This assumes Stafford plays another year or 2.

Or a reclamation project like Daniel Jones (but NOT Daniel Jones)

I don't know if McVay is the type to mold a brand new, fresh off the farm qb. He seems to gravitate to the vets.
I mentioned him earlier this week. In a few years he might be a cap casualty if things don't improve there. So you never know.

methomas50

Rookie
I read they tried to trade up for Bowers, didnt see anything about Daniels. Still that plus Sean and Stafford having short shelf lifes doesn't seem far fetched.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There's a strong possibility Stafford walks this offseason. There's also a slimmer chance he retires but he's gone on record saying he's got a few more years in him. Personally, I don't think the way this team is built right now gives him much of a reason to stick around - hopefully I'm wrong.

But lets assume I'm not and he walks after this season. What's the game plan? Draft a rookie, sign a vet, roll with Stetson?

Give me your thoughts.
I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Until he does, there is no reason to be thinking about it.

It’s all n to wondering,”What if McVay leaves”. All of that fretting was for nothing

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Whatever happens to Stafford or McVay, hoping Aubrey Pleasant will be able to take this team to the next level. I think we are limbo wondering what will happen, I think now we just need to finish off this season with what we got.