Les Snead trades a discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
His knees. He is looking like a player who will need to be “managed” from here on out. Maybe not, but it was something the Rams weren’t willing to gamble on, apparently.

If it was the knee (very possible), then it's understandable that the Rams would not want to 'manage' Jones over the long-term but what about the NOW?

Even if he was compromised, do you think the Rams are better without Jones in 2024?

dang

Legend
Disagree with the bolded. He certainly was not a top 10 QB when we traded him and I don't think he is one now. I'd be interested to see your top 10 list if he is in it.
Over the course of 2017-2023 he’s had bad spells (see 2019) but he’s been a NFL top 10 QB but I’ll bite. This years top 10 IMO:

Mahomes
Allen
Jackson
Stafford
Hurts
Goff
Burrow
Purdy
Prescott
Tagovailoa

You have every right to disagree but I’ll put you in the Never Goffer category if you feel he doesn’t belong on the list this year. Feel free to share your list.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would take out Purdy and insert Aaron Roger's although he might be done.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Even if he was compromised, do you think the Rams are better without Jones in 2024?
The best way I can answer that is “not in the games he could have played.”
How many games he is gonna play, well, we’re gonna see.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Old school:
I posted this on another thread.
fanotodd said:
Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anybody the Rams have let go who has thrived or made the Rams look bad for letting them go.

If we're going to include players the Rams have let go who thrived elsewhere, and this is beyond the scope of the original post, I'd include John Franklin-Myers and his 82.6 PFF rating in 2022 and 80.3 in 2021.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
This culture and organization apparently brings out the best in players.

You hear McVay say it and you hear players repeat it, the Rams want to bring out the "best version of themselves" out of the players and staff - and it's a (tiny) bit more than just coach speak / lip service, imo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The best way I can answer that is “not in the games he could have played.”
How many games he is gonna play, well, we’re gonna see.
That's my point.

Maybe Jones is severely compromised, and will be unable to play much; and/or will be far less effective when he does play. However, he managed to start 15 games last year and played in over 90% of the defensive snaps.

It's not like the Rams up-graded at ILB. The three veterans on the roster were there last season .... playing BEHIND Jones. In fact, Jones had more defensive snaps last season than Roseboom, Reeder and Hummel combined. Jones was far better just eight months ago. Has that changed so quickly?

Maybe Speights will be terrific but he's still a first-year undrafted free agent that played well in two pre-season games against 2nd and 3rd teamers.

I'm hoping for the best but this one is tough to understand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Over the course of 2017-2023 he’s had bad spells (see 2019) but he’s been a NFL top 10 QB but I’ll bite. This years top 10 IMO:

Mahomes
Allen
Jackson
Stafford
Hurts
Goff
Burrow
Purdy
Prescott
Tagovailoa

You have every right to disagree but I’ll put you in the Never Goffer category if you feel he doesn’t belong on the list this year. Feel free to share your list.
Is that in order (I'm assuming)? Putting him above Burrow is egregious IMO. But, that's just my opinion.
1.Mahomes
2.Allen
3. Jackson
4. Burrow
5. Stafford
6. Stroud
7. Hurts
8. Prescott
9. Arod
10. Tua

FWIW I'd probably have Goff around 15 or 16

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I didn't really watch their games but apparently Ramsey had a strong year in Miami, better than his last season in L.A.

Cooks did well after leaving.

Williams looked good in Jacksonville, though we have him back now.

Goff as you noted looks good in Detroit. Much better than he did towards the end of his Rams tenure.

I agree most players look better in horns vs. after they move on, which I think speaks to this coaching staff. But there are examples of guys looking good after we move on.

Dicker the Kicker, in hindsight, should have remained a Ram.
Ramsey was injured most of last year in MIA and mostly a non-factor.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If we're going to include players the Rams have let go who thrived elsewhere, and this is beyond the scope of the original post, I'd include John Franklin-Myers and his 82.6 PFF rating in 2022 and 80.3 in 2021.

i forget. Did the switch to the 3-4 defense have something to do with that move?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So if homers normally overvalue departing players, what does this indicate when the fans of a player's former team says he sucks?
Normally we see people claim the other teams fans don't know anything and that Rams fans know best :)

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'm not a big fan of judging a players productivity after they leave. There's a lot of factors that go into how well a player performs in another system. There's a few players that we picked up that were in a decline that benefitted greatly from a different system and change of scenery and resserected their careers. If players can benefit from our system, then the opposite can also be true.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
i forget. Did the switch to the 3-4 defense have something to do with that move?
Quinn was the only one I remember that people blamed the switch.
McVay brought Wade in with him in 2017 and Wade installed the 3-4. JFM was a 2018 draft pick.

But speaking of Robert Quinn, he had a couple of really good years after his one year under McVay:

Screen2.png

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cooks couldn’t carry the team but he was a productive WR that I wish we could have kept.
Cooks seems like the Rams tried to get ahead of concussions being a problem (and were probably right to do it given how much an issue they were that year) but I would say it was a mistake to trade him. He had some very good years afterwards where he was the only passing threat so defenses could focus on stopping him.

Had a good year last year too.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend

Mahomes
Allen
Jackson
Stafford
Hurts
Goff
Burrow
Purdy
Prescott
Tagovailoa

Tags over Herbert, Stroud, Rodgers (we'll see about injury) and Love (though so few games) is malpractice!!

Tags really is just okay, great supporting cast which makes him look better but makes too many mistakes when there's no pressure and has a meh arm and can't create at all.