Les Snead confident in striking new deals with Aaron Donald, Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If the rams add jimmy Graham to this receiving corp it will be the scariest offense in the league.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I want Graham. If he's smart he'll sign with the Rams and remind this league what he can do in McVay's offense.

I don't like Graham based on how he plays the game, but it's hard to argue that he wouldn't put up MONSTER numbers in this offense.

I just don't see it happening because with AD and Watkins likely being signed and then maybe using the tag on Joyner, we're kinda not in the best position unless there are no OL we want to add and Sully comes back reasonable.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I could see Graham taking a little less money..... and signing with the Pats.

Gives them the Hernandez/Gronk-like pairing again. Plus, he is insurance when Gronk gets dinged.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Graham has definitely been horribly underused with Seattle. But I think he might be too expensive. Man what a red zone offense we would have though.

Psycho_X

Legend
Graham has definitely been horribly underused with Seattle. But I think he might be too expensive. Man what a red zone offense we would have though.

Gives me goosebumps thinking about. Watkins and Graham roaming the endzone with Gurley, Kupp, and Woods working the area just before or inside it? Yes please. Not to mention, having a TE like Graham could open up even larger holes for the screen and dump off game to Gurley as a decoy and vice versa.

Having said that, can't give up on Everett yet. That kid has got special talent. But Graham would still be a wonderful piece for McVay to use.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Graham made $10 million last year and will take the same or more to sign. Watkins seems to have people wanting to franchise him around here so now we’ve got at least $26 million of our estimated $45 million of cap space going to those guys. That money will have consequences to our other free agents. Let’s assume w cut Tavon and save us another $3 million.

You now have $22 million to sign Joyner, TruJo, NRC, Sullivan, Davis and McQuaide or their replacements, oh wait let’s take $6 million out for our rookie class and it’s usually wise to save $2-3 million for injury replacements so now we’re now down to $20 million.

Oh also save some money to extend Aaron Donald and maybe Roger Saffold.

My analysis says Graham isn’t realistic which is good because I don’t want him anyways.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So Graham made $10 million last year and will take the same or more to sign. Watkins seems to have people wanting to franchise him around here so now we’ve got at least $26 million of our estimated $45 million of cap space going to those guys. That money will have consequences to our other free agents. Let’s assume w cut Tavon and save us another $3 million.

You now have $22 million to sign Joyner, TruJo, NRC, Sullivan, Davis and McQuaide or their replacements, oh wait let’s take $6 million out for our rookie class and it’s usually wise to save $2-3 million for injury replacements so now we’re now down to $20 million.

My analysis says Graham isn’t realistic which is good because I don’t want him anyways.

I completely agree, OldSchool.

Graham would not only consume $10 million of valuable cap dollars, but would stunt the growth of both Higbee and Everett.

Two excellent reasons to pass on Graham and just call it window shopping.

I much prefer spending those cap dollars on Watkins (or another FA WR to replace him), NT, LB, and/or possibly 2 needed CB’s.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jimmy Graham? He had a disappointing year largely due to having a mere 96 targets which is more than any Ram player had.
He’s not going to get the 140+ targets that he is used to.
Will also be 32 and made 10 mill last year.
Pass

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anybody think we could get Jarvis Landry for less than Watkins?

I know he isn't the physical specimen that Watkins but he has produced very well in this league.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody think we could get Jarvis Landry for less than Watkins?

I know he isn't the physical specimen that Watkins but he has produced very well in this league.

Nope, don't really wan't him either. He had 160 targets and 112 receptions and didn't get 1,000 yards, had an 8.8 YPC. Granted that could partly be the offense and the QB but that's not that impressive. And as we see below he's going to be expensive especially with a team like the Bears having a lot of cap space and desperate for anything at WR.

upload_2018-1-26_16-13-28.png

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Nope, don't really wan't him either. He had 160 targets and 112 receptions and didn't get 1,000 yards, had an 8.8 YPC. Granted that could partly be the offense and the QB but that's not that impressive. And as we see below he's going to be expensive especially with a team like the Bears having a lot of cap space and desperate for anything at WR.

View attachment 23852

Yikes! That's crazy value! I'm hoping for that Mcvay-culture to make guys want to be here.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My eyes are set on Weston Richburg. A younger version of Sullivan? Yes please!

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky

I would rather the Rams sign Burton if they are looking for an upgrade at the TE position. He will probably be half the price of Graham, giving the Rams more financial flexibility for other signings.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would rather the Rams sign Burton if they are looking for an upgrade at the TE position. He will probably be half the price of Graham, giving the Rams more financial flexibility for other signings.
While a nice sentiment that still takes away from our own free agents. Which guy we need to resign or more than one are you ok with giving up? Each signing could weaken the team.

That's what I was trying to point out. While we do have a lot of cap space we do have a lot of guys that are going to cost some good money to retain. People from other teams are likely to cause us to not sign one or more of our own so who are people comfortable with not being able to resign and how do we address those spots we weaken?

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
While a nice sentiment that still takes away from our own free agents. Which guy we need to resign or more than one are you ok with giving up? Each signing could weaken the team.

That's what I was trying to point out. While we do have a lot of cap space we do have a lot of guys that are going to cost some good money to retain. People from other teams are likely to cause us to not sign one or more of our own so who are people comfortable with not being able to resign and how do we address those spots we weaken?
I think you missed the part where I said, “IF they are looking to upgrade.” I’m on board with what you are preaching which is why I’m suggesting the cheaper alternative in the event that the brass decides the TE position needs to be improved.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Just clarifying one misconception that is always thrown out this time of year in regards to cap space.

The rookie class will not be an additional $6M cap hit. I know they alot something like $6M for rookies, but at that point before the draft you already have 53 guys under contract. So If you add a 7 man draft class at $6M, they will replace the bottom 7 lowest paid players on your 53... and actually your 6th and 7th rounders might not even make the top 53 in term of avg salary.

But let's say 7 guys replace the bottom 7 and the bottom 7 avg $500k a piece. So you then subtract $3.5M from those 7 guys being number down the list, from the $6M rookie cap and your rookie class only actually tajes up about $2.5M in additional cap space.

Plus they only count the top 51 until the season starts... but sure, the 53 man roster is the end result.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just clarifying one misconception that is always thrown out this time of year in regards to cap space.

The rookie class will not be an additional $6M cap hit. I know they alot something like $6M for rookies, but at that point before the draft you already have 53 guys under contract. So If you add a 7 man draft class at $6M, they will replace the bottom 7 lowest paid players on your 53... and actually your 6th and 7th rounders might not even make the top 53 in term of avg salary.

But let's say 7 guys replace the bottom 7 and the bottom 7 avg $500k a piece. So you then subtract $3.5M from those 7 guys being number down the list, from the $6M rookie cap and your rookie class only actually tajes up about $2.5M in additional cap space.

Plus they only count the top 51 until the season starts... but sure, the 53 man roster is the end result.
Not sure what miscconception you're referring to. Being well versed in the cap I did the math myself.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

I had forgotten about one thing though. We don't have a 7th round pick so my number of $6,060,548 dropped to $5,561,408. You're also going to have to account for whatever players go on to the injured reserve eventually.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Burton isn't going to be much cheaper. The same site sets his value at $7 million.