Les Snead confident in striking new deals with Aaron Donald, Sammy Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
MOBILE, Ala. — The Los Angeles Rams face contract challenges this offseason with two of their top players in defensive tackle Aaron Donald and wide receiver Sammy Watkins. Even so, Rams general manager Les Snead doesn’t sound like he’s sweating it.

Speaking with co-host Mark Dominik and me Wednesday at the Reese’s Senior Bowl, Snead expressed confidence Wednesday about being able to strike new deals with Donald and Watkins.

Donald is entering the final season of his five-year rookie contract with a 2018 base salary of $6.9 million. The Rams also would have the ability to use a franchise tag in 2019 and 2020 to guarantee retaining Donald.
But considering he staged a holdout throughout the entire 2017 preseason because of unhappiness with his contract, Donald may not return without a pact that better reflects his standing as arguably the NFL’s best defensive player.

The Rams and Donald’s agents spoke last year without being able to strike a deal. The two sides will now need to start anew considering the NFL has projected that the 2018 salary cap is leaping from $167 million to between $174 million and $178 million.

“Every year the market changes based on last year’s (free-agent) crop signing and is there a new highest-paid player,” Snead said. “We’ll have to manage that. Also, every year we have more UFAs and decisions to make.

“But Aaron is always going to be a big part of that puzzle. We’ll always keep room in the budget for Aaron Donald and work around him.”

As for Watkins, the Rams were aware that his rookie contract was expiring at the end of the 2017 season. A franchise or transition tag to retain Watkins is an option if a long-term deal can’t be reached.

“We’ve chatted with his agent and told him we were coming back in early February and really discuss the intricacies of our plan,” Snead said. “I know this – going from 32nd to first in offense Sammy was a big part of it down the stretch.

“A goal of ours is to keep that (wide receiver) group together because a lot of our weapons are 25 and under.”

The Rams are currently projected to have $45 million in salary cap space available per spotrac.com and can create even more room through player releases and restructuring contracts.

[www.sportingnews.com]

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Here's Les with NFL Network's Senior Bowl crew (Andrew Siciliano, Charles Davis, and Mike Mayock):

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Donald is going to get a monster deal. I am interested to see how they spread that out. Can they get creative and find a way to make it at all cap friendly? Will be one to watch for sure.

Watkins...I feel he is going to want top 10 money. I’m uneasy about this. His ceiling is so high. But why didn’t he soar? Was it the play book? Was it Goff still needing to get more comfortable with the playbook and his style? If we can get him for a decent number, I say jump on it. But please don’t pull another Tavon deal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Real nice to hear Les speak on these things. Tough decisions ahead for sure, but man it'd be nice to get Donald in the rear-view. Gonna be worried about that one until it gets done tbh.

“A goal of ours is to keep that (wide receiver) group together because a lot of our weapons are 25 and under.”

^ That is the key. I know some have doubts about Sammy, but I look forward to this young corps of pass catchers growing together in this offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Real nice to hear Les speak on these things. Tough decisions ahead for sure, but man it'd be nice to get Donald in the rear-view. Gonna be worried about that one until it gets done tbh.

^ That is the key. I know some have doubts about Sammy, but I look forward to this young corps of pass catchers growing together in this offense.

Watkins is the straw that stirs the drink!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Watkins is a nice piece to have. He has a nice TD to catch ratio. And he draws attention which gives the others more room to work. But if he's commanding top money I'd rather tag him and give him one more to see if he's a good fit. A contract similar to Woods would be fair IMO.

Donald is a no brainer. You want a formidable defense if you're going to contend. You have to have the best defensive player in the league locked up.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I couldn't agree with you more, on both points Merlin!!!!(y)(y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Donald is going to get a monster deal. I am interested to see how they spread that out. Can they get creative and find a way to make it at all cap friendly? Will be one to watch for sure.

Watkins...I feel he is going to want top 10 money. I’m uneasy about this. His ceiling is so high. But why didn’t he soar? Was it the play book? Was it Goff still needing to get more comfortable with the playbook and his style? If we can get him for a decent number, I say jump on it. But please don’t pull another Tavon deal.

He didn’t soar for a number of reasons.

Mostly he wasn’t coached up in Buffalo. Their success in letting both Watkins and Woods go means that their system doesn’t require much from the WRs.

Woods is as farther along because he came out farther along.

Watkins doesn’t run the full tree...YET. Even still defenses have to account for him.

With a much better grasp of the offense and more coaching, the ceiling on Watkins who is the same age as Kupp!!! is off the chain.

He didn’t produce in this system like a dominating WR because he’s not fully in the offense and he’s still learning his craft.

He will...and that should scare the crap out of the league because if you asked me today Watkins or Julio Jones...with this coaching staff, I take Watkins a everyday.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Hopefully this works out, and we can still manage to bring back guys like Robey-Coleman and Joyner.

Psycho_X

Legend
Here's Les with NFL Network's Senior Bowl crew (Andrew Siciliano, Charles Davis, and Mike Mayock):

Always enjoy listening to Les, he still is very careful about what he says like most GMs but he does have a slight "tell it like it is" mentality to him that you wouldn't hear from a lot of people and it's refreshing. Always glad to hear him talk about the WRs and know he disliked them as much as most of us did.

Regarding the WRs from last year to this year...
"flipped the WR room" "deleting a few, you know addition by subtraction"

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
All of a sudden, Snead to me exudes confidence in every interview after removing himself from Fisher.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man, after hearing that i believe they're going all in on the te position.

snead was talking about what they didn't do well on offense last season and if they need to make a personnel change to improve that deficiency or will more reps in practice improve it. what they didn't do well was have a solid te that could catch the ball in traffic. that's the only thing he could be talking about.

i'm hoping they go after trey burton. the eagles love the guy but can't afford to keep him because they have ertz.

Tano

Legend
Hopefully this works out, and we can still manage to bring back guys like Robey-Coleman and Joyner.
One thing I just heard is the idea of franchise or transition tag Joyner instead of Watkins while working out a contract with him.

I like that idea.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
One thing I just heard is the idea of franchise or transition tag Joyner instead of Watkins while working out a contract with him.

I like that idea.

That is what I have been saying... the safety position likely has a lower tag number so I figured they might go that route.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep. On the offensive side it's the TE position and depth OL where they need help. TE position is a million damn miles from where McVay needs it. Even if Everett becomes the guy we hope, in order to run significant 12 personnel packages (which McVay mentioned) they're going to need one addition who can be trusted in the passing game.

Ram65

Legend

snead was talking about what they didn't do well on offense last season and if they need to make a personnel change to improve that deficiency or will more reps in practice improve it. what they didn't do well was have a solid te that could catch the ball in traffic. that's the only thing he could be talking about.

i'm hoping they go after trey burton. the eagles love the guy but can't afford to keep him because they have ertz.

Yep. On the offensive side it's the TE position and depth OL where they need help. TE position is a million damn miles from where McVay needs it. Even if Everett becomes the guy we hope, in order to run significant 12 personnel packages (which McVay mentioned) they're going to need one addition who can be trusted in the passing game.
-------------------------------
He is listed here at 6 2 with 31 inch arms.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trey-burton?id=2543577

Noticed Burton last year and liked him too. I just wonder if he is the guy they need. I don't know how well he blocks and he is the same size as Everett . They still would have Higbee more inline. Burton would be the H back. He made 2.65 Million last year on a one year deal. He is the best TE in free agency. Jimmy Graham at 6 6 could be a nice mismatch as another alternative.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jimmy Graham at 6 6 could be a nice mismatch as another alternative.

I want Graham. If he's smart he'll sign with the Rams and remind this league what he can do in McVay's offense.