Legends of the Field - Vince Ferragamo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Up at the Lake (George) here in Upstate, NY on a beauteous day and I came across this video enjoying the Rays on the Deck.... Vince Anthony Ferragamo is one of my favorite Ram QB's of all time all of the old guard remembers where they were in 1979 when Ferragamo hit Billy Waddy on a TD with two minutes and sixteen seconds left on the clock in Dallas leading to the defeat of the Cowboys in one of the most exciting Ram victories ever.

Ferragamo went on to lead the Rams into their first Super Bowl against the Steelers and in 1980 led the Rams to the playoffs once again, when the Rams finally let the little engine that couldn't Pat Haden ride the pine.

One of the reasons I detest Pat Haden so much @LoyalRam was because of Haden, the Rams and cheap Georgia Frontiere didn't feel that had to pay Ferragamo, they looked at him as the backup, which was just outrageous. Because of that and no free agency, Ferragamo took the money from the wealthy Nelson Skalbania and went to the CFL to play for the Montreal Alouettes, which was a disaster.

The Rams & Georgia let Ferragamo walk because they had Pat Haden, who, in 1981 lasted a couple of games and was so horrific & injured again, the Rams closed out the season with old man Dante Pastorini, who threw for 2 TD's & 9 Int's. Haden retired leading the Penny Wise & Dollar Foolish Frontier to overpay for Bert Jones in 1982 (draft choices & Money) who lasted three games in his Ram career and Vince Ferragamo was back in the saddle again. If they had just paid Vince in the first place, the organization would have been so much better off, but that was Georgia Frontiere in a nutshell.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Up at the Lake (George) here in Upstate, NY on a beauteous day and I came across this video enjoying the Rays on the Deck.... Vince Anthony Ferragamo is one of my favorite Ram QB's of all time all of the old guard remembers where they were in 1979 when Ferragamo hit Billy Waddy on a TD with two minutes and sixteen seconds left on the clock in Dallas leading to the defeat of the Cowboys in one of the most exciting Ram victories ever.

Ferragamo went on to lead the Rams into their first Super Bowl against the Steelers and in 1980 led the Rams to the playoffs once again, when the Rams finally let the little engine that couldn't Pat Haden ride the pine.

One of the reasons I detest Pat Haden so much @LoyalRam was because of Haden, the Rams and cheap Georgia Frontiere didn't feel that had to pay Ferragamo, they looked at him as the backup, which was just outrageous. Because of that and no free agency, Ferragamo took the money from the wealthy Nelson Skalbania and went to the CFL to play for the Montreal Alouettes, which was a disaster.

The Rams & Georgia let Ferragamo walk because they had Pat Haden, who, in 1981 lasted a couple of games and was so horrific & injured again, the Rams closed out the season with old man Dante Pastorini, who threw for 2 TD's & 9 Int's. Haden retired leading the Penny Wise & Dollar Foolish Frontier to overpay for Bert Jones in 1982 (draft choices & Money) who lasted three games in his Ram career and Vince Ferragamo was back in the saddle again. If they had just paid Vince in the first place, the organization would have been so much better off, but that was Georgia Frontiere in a nutshell.
There are lies, and then there are damnable lies! ~ Pat Haden (true#1)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He will always be my first QB Love & you never forget your first!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Vince Anthony Ferragamo is one of my favorite Ram QB's of all time all of the old guard remembers where they were in 1979 when Ferragamo hit Billy Waddy on a TD with two minutes and sixteen seconds left on the clock in Dallas leading to the defeat of the Cowboys in one of the most exciting Ram victories ever.

If ever there was a pass that had no business being completed, that was it.

Dallas was in the perfect defensive alignment to stop a deep middle, Ferragamo was almost broken in half and it appeared that about 14 Cowboy defenders just missed knocking the ball away.

Trivia Question:
That was Roger Staubach’s last game, and he had time to bring Dallas back. The final pass of his career was caught by a teammate.
Who caught it?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trivia Question:
That was Roger Staubach’s last game, and he had time to bring Dallas back. The final pass of his career was caught by a teammate.
Who caught it?

Offensive Lineman Herb Scott.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They dont practice the tip drill for nothing...
And Waddy was wide open
I see your point.
Went back and looked at it. Ferragamo was not hit on the play. I was thinking of the earlier TD.

There were four Cowboys in front of Waddy and four more behind him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little too young to appreciate Roman Gabriel, but he was better then Vince.
I liked Vince, but he seemed to be an awful tease to me after the Super Bowl, because many football mags predicted that the Rams would win it all the following year. But those things were written months in advance of the next season and I think he was gone? The Rams didn't do well the next season, if memory serves.

Gabe was a fierce dude at QB...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams didn't do well the next season, if memory serves.

Gabe was a fierce dude at QB...

Following the Super Bowl Year of 1979, in 1980 again Malavasi being clueless went with Pat Haden to start the season, the Rams got off to an 0-2 Start and Haden was injured and they switched to Ferragamo, who went 11-3 the rest of the way and went to post season as a wild card team. The following year because Georgia would not pay Ferragamo because they were paying Haden, Ferragamo went to the CFL and Haden got hurt again and Malavasi ended up with Dante Pastorini and the team went to 6-10 in 1981.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I was a HUGE fan of his.

I had a magazine (I think it was Sports Illustrated) that had Vince on the cover framed in my bedroom. I'm fairly certain that it said "Italian Stallion" in big letters across the top of the mag cover over his pic.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29

One could argue that the series of events you described there was the start of the Rams becoming a less than viable team here in Southern California. We had a star QB who led us to the super bowl, was on jean commercials, who was a local kid who WANTED to play in Los angeles, and she let him walk away. She sent the best player in the NFL on his way some years later because of not wanting to pay for star players, but the Ferragamo situation was the start of all that nonsense.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One could argue that the series of events you described there was the start of the Rams becoming a less than viable team here in Southern California. We had a star QB who led us to the super bowl, was on jean commercials, who was a local kid who WANTED to play in Los angeles, and she let him walk away. She sent the best player in the NFL on his way some years later because of not wanting to pay for star players, but the Ferragamo situation was the start of all that nonsense.

While I somewhat agree, Georgia seemed to be penny wise and dollar foolish, she didn't pay Ferragamo, but made a deal for Bert Jones a year later and paid him. She did give Dickerson a contract extension once, but then refused to do it a second time, that just made no sense. Problem with Georgia was John Shaw IMO, although Shaw did hire Dick Vermeil, showcasing the adage, even a blind squirrel can find a nut and a broken clock is right twice a day!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
While I somewhat agree, Georgia seemed to be penny wise and dollar foolish, she didn't pay Ferragamo, but made a deal for Bert Jones a year later and paid him. She did give Dickerson a contract extension once, but then refused to do it a second time, that just made no sense. Problem with Georgia was John Shaw IMO, although Shaw did hire Dick Vermeil, showcasing the adage, even a blind squirrel can find a nut and a broken clock is right twice a day!

The reason she was willing to pay for Jones is obvious.... she wanted to bang him... and actually thought that she might have a chance with him given that he was "older" than most players. :D

Now, you might think that's crazy talk... but that's what I believe. Trust me, I know it just sounds like I'm trying to trash her every chance I get. But that's a theory I've had about Jones being signed back then for a long time.

Here's a little tidbit that I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned here. I feel like I have, but it was probably years ago. My Aunt's best friend was that woman's interior designer. I've heard many stories about her. So... my theory about Bert (who many older woman back then really thought was hot) isn't as crazy as you might think. I honestly have no 411 on her actually getting with him, but again, I've heard things about her that I believe. Things that would make me come up with this "crazy" theory.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The reason she was willing to pay for Jones is obvious.... she wanted to bang him... and actually thought that she might have a chance with him given that he was "older" than most players. :D
1595277849729.png