League imposes more than $43,000 in fines on Aaron Donald, Justin Britt

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Imagine if the league started fining OL players that hold. They would make so much money they could make tickets free and still profit.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Imagine if the league started fining OL players that hold. They would make so much money they could make tickets free and still profit.

A lot of OL would be playing for free if that were the case.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, maybe. Comparing absolute numbers of penalties called doesn't address how many aren't being called against any particular team, for example, which is a big part of the complaint here. AD seems to have to fight through holding in various forms on a regular basis--sometimes it seems like he's just so fast even the holds are hard to see until replay.

Did you read the rest of my earlier comment? AD isn't the only D-lineman or defensive player being held on every play.

Agree with this as well. But the league is emphasizing the scoring of points and speeding up the games so less offensive holding penalties are being called.

The Bears have been called only twice for offensive holding in 9 games. Are you kidding me?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
While I agree that the refs screwed this up for Aaron Donald and could have prevented all this from happening, the stats don't bear out that the Rams are being picked on penalty-wise more than the other teams.

The Rams are tied for 23d with the Eagles and Bengals with 55 penalties called against them. Interestingly enough, the Chiefs get penalized more than any other team with 84 penalties called against them. The Titans have the least amount with 41 and of course the Patriots are 31st with 47.

The Chiefs have 12 offensive holding penalties, while the Rams have 6. The Chiefs also lead the league with 14 defensive holding calls. The Rams are tied for second with 6 roughing the passer penalties.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=numpen

I said this in another thread no one is complaining really that the refs are over penelizing the Rams so much as

1. Non calls of blatent offensive holding up to and including literal headlocks in front of refs not being called.

2. The peneltys that are called seem way more trivial then what was overlooked by the oppenant.

3. Just plain stupid calls like the fumble/incomplete pass that led to Donald's issue.

So yes it can appear that the refs have issue and need to correct and do their jobs