Latu medically cleared by the Rams per Tony Pauline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
That's a somewhat fair reading of things but what would be the incentive to lie about Latu passing his meds. I could see incentive to say he didn't.
The incentive would be to entice another team to jump in front of us. Let's say the Rams actually didn't medically pass Latu. Telling the world we did when our need for an edge is so obvious could push another player we really do want to us.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Yeah, I'm not impressed with his off field stuff, but, I think a 4th is a decent gamble to perhaps have a dominating NT for years to come...
I've gotta disagree. I don't think they should acquire ANY players that don' t fit the 'we not me' and 'love of football' culture. The types who don't fit that become cancers to team culture.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, I'm not impressed with his off field stuff, but, I think a 4th is a decent gamble to perhaps have a dominating NT for years to come. I mean, we gambled on Bennett (and so far have lost) and still managed to have an amazing draft.

Agree. He's a early 2nd round talent IMO. I think the Rams organization can develop a plan for him and its worth the risk in the 4th. If he hits and straightens himself up, a 4th will be tremendous value for him.

I'm much more worried about his fluctuating weight and his admission that he likes to party than even his DWI. His DWI just proves that he hasn't matured and that his quotes that his partying is "in the past" are bullshit.

If some team wants to throw away a fourth or fifth round pick on that, let them. I just hope it isn't us.

dang

Legend
Yeah, I'm not impressed with his off field stuff, but, I think a 4th is a decent gamble to perhaps have a dominating NT for years to come. I mean, we gambled on Bennett (and so far have lost) and still managed to have an amazing draft.

Agree. He's an early 2nd round talent IMO. I think the Rams organization can develop a plan for him and its worth the risk in the 4th. If he hits and straightens himself up, a 4th will be tremendous value for him.
So Rams trade down from R3.99 to get BAL R4.113/R4.130. Pick something like Marshawn Lloyd RB/USC and Tyler Davis/DL.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
The incentive would be to entice another team to jump in front of us. Let's say the Rams actually didn't medically pass Latu. Telling the world we did when our need for an edge is so obvious could push another player we really do want to us.
I'm not sure a team will want to give up capital for Latu but I just don't read him the same as others. Maybe that's stubbornness on my part.

I do think he'll be there at 19 so peeps should be happy about that!

Also, I want to add, I don't think Latu sucks, he's going to go in the 1st round!! I just think there will be a few guys available at pick 19 that will be superior prospects to him.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I'm much more worried about his fluctuating weight and his admission that he likes to party than even his DWI. His DWI just proves that he hasn't matured and that his quotes that his partying is "in the past" are bullshit.

If some team wants to throw away a fourth or fifth round pick on that, let them. I just hope it isn't us.
It's not even the partying for me. Obviously that speaks of maturity issues but I can get around that. It's the weight issue which carries an implication that he's not a hard worker and not that dedicated to his craft.

Can you imagine Donald or Kupp or any other such elite player having a weight issue? No! They're too dedicated. They love what they do too much.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It's not even the partying for me. Obviously that speaks of maturity issues but I can get around that. It's the weight issue which carries an implication that he's not a hard worker and not that dedicated to his craft.

Can you imagine Donald or Kupp or any other such elite player having a weight issue? No! They're too dedicated. They love what they do too much.

The partying combined with the DWI hints at massive character issues. It proves it's not in the past, like he insisted. The weight issue, like you said, is the bigger (pun not intended) concern. Weighing 390 lbs. at the Senior Bowl is not good.

He may very well be a good kid who made bad decisions, but you can't be an effective NFL player and not take care of yourself. Even Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and some of the more immature elite players took care of themselves enough.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The partying combined with the DWI hints at massive character issues. It proves it's not in the past, like he insisted. The weight issue, like you said, is the bigger (pun not intended) concern. Weighing 390 lbs. at the Senior Bowl is not good.

He may very well be a good kid who made bad decisions, but you can't be an effective NFL player and not take care of yourself. Even Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and some of the more immature elite players took care of themselves enough.
Whoa! where did the 390 number at senior bowl come from?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
That's a somewhat fair reading of things but what would be the incentive to lie about Latu passing his meds. I could see incentive to say he didn't.

Just in case another team is hesitant on his meds and the Rams actually want to draft someone else.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I'm not sure a team will want to give up capital for Latu but I just don't read him the same as others. Maybe that's stubbornness on my part.

I do think he'll be there at 19 so peeps should be happy about that!

Also, I want to add, I don't think Latu sucks, he's going to go in the 1st round!! I just think there will be a few guys available at pick 19 that will be superior prospects to him.
Latu is hard for me to evaluate. I wouldn't be shocked if he went top 10 or #28. And if the Rams draft him, my initial reaction wouldn't be super excitement but I'd come around. LOL

I can't say that there was one player that made me super excited in 2023 and look what happened. They're a tad better at this than I am so...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the best case scenario would be a good edge falling to us at 19. Just knocking that top need out right away would be nice, and round 2 should have a good wideout for us.

But McVay may be really tired of picking the wideouts who are left. That shit led to guys like Tutu and Jefferson. This year at 19 he still has his pick of a ton of options that will go off the board well into round 2, so I could see him wanting to get that done and if they go that route they could also move down a little, potentially, depending on which one they prefer.

Of those first four picks through rounds 1-3 I expect we'll see some mix of Edge, WR, DT in whatever order. And there's still another pick for whatever so they have wiggle room to get creative with surprises being on the board. Edge & DT in particular there is probably less room to screw around, and I would like to see an additional DT added somewhere in rounds 5+. Just to ensure we have enough for a good rotation.

I'm hoping that 4th position is CB, personally. Or safety. A DB to boost that back end. But of course there's no telling. They could do almost anything and I wouldn't be surprised, even taking a QB at 19 if one is there they like. Or LT. So I don't really have any preconceptions for the most part, though there are some players who will rub me the wrong way if they take them, but I plan to drink and enjoy finally having a first round pick.

WestCoastRam

Legend
From Dane Brugler via the Byron Murphy thread.
Oh yeah, I see, he measured that for playoffs but didn't measure at Senior Bowl so he arguably could have been that weight but we don't know. I just thought there was a measurement there when I understood it to be that he didn't measure there.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Oh yeah, I see, he measured that for playoffs but didn't measure at Senior Bowl so he arguably could have been that weight but we don't know. I just thought there was a measurement there when I understood it to be that he didn't measure there.
Fair. Still, that's absolutely concerning, and it drops him off of my board completely, especially with the known partying (which he admitted to teams) and the DWI where he must've slammed a lot of alcohol to be that over the limit at his weight.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I heard he was measured at the Senior Bowl, just not officially. And no wonder if he weighed 390.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I heard he was measured at the Senior Bowl, just not officially. And no wonder if he weighed 390.
Shame about the off field stuff then... as at whatever weight he was at, he was showing up constantly at Senior Bowl from what I understand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Agree. He's a early 2nd round talent IMO. I think the Rams organization can develop a plan for him and its worth the risk in the 4th. If he hits and straightens himself up, a 4th will be tremendous value for him.
Maybe if he pulled this bone head move 6 months or a year ago. Not in the middle of Draft prep.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.
And it's not like other teams arent doing their due diligence, if he passed medical all the teams will get the same info. It's not like the Rams are the only ones checking in.