LA Rams running game rebuilding around Cam Akers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
LA Rams running game rebuilding around Cam Akers

The LA Rams restoration of their running attack officially transitioned from demolition to construction when the team selected Florida State running back Cam Akers with the 52nd pick of the 2020 NFL Draft. But that was several steps into the entire transformation. In fact, the Rams began to rework their ground attack from the moment the 2019 season ended.

While nobody sat in the meeting rooms, the clues were laid out in a very obvious fashion. The first signs of a huge transformation began in January 2020 when a reputable football sportswriter, Mike Silva, first broke the rumor that the LA Rams were prepared to part ways with star running back Todd Gurley. Rather than fade away, the rumors grew in frequency and intensity, eventually focusing upon trading away both Gurley and wide receiver Brandin Cooks.

Coaching changes

Meanwhile, on a separate track, the Rams parted ways with running back coach Skip Peete. Peete was a favorite of Gurley, who lobbied hard to retain his running back coach when the team moved away from Jeff Fisher and hired head coach Sean Mcvay. In his place, the Rams hired on former South Carolina RB coach Thomas Brown.

Without Gurley, the LA Rams faced a shallow stable of running backs: 5-foot-11 222-pound Malcolm Brown, 5-foot-8 208-pound Darrell Henderson, and 5-foot-10 205-pound John Kelly, who combined for just 111 total rushes in 2019 for 411 yards and five touchdowns. Unphased, the Rams made the plunge and parted ways with their lead runner, Todd Gurley.

The first step to restore the running game was not just to add a feature back, but enough talent to allow a redesign of the running attack. So in addition to 5-foot-10 217-pound Akers, the Rams signed up 5-foot-9 198-pound Kansas State RB James Gilbert and 5-foot-11 208-pound SMU scoring star Xavier Jones.

What to expect?

For starters, the Rams offense will not suddenly revert back to a run-first mentality. The Rams have two 1000 yard receivers in Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp, two tight ends itching to get more involved in the passing game in Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett, a reserve receiver aching to set himself up for a huge 2021 contract in Josh Reynolds, and two rookies chomping at the bit in wide receiver Van Jefferson and tight end Brycen Hopkins. With a passing offense ranked fourth in the NFL behind an injury-riddled offensive line in 2019, the Rams will likely come out shooting in 2020.

Of course, the underlying offense will be of McVay’s design. But there will be changes. With the LA Rams no longer handing the ball off to Todd Gurley, everything changes. Gurley’s presence on the football introduced certain levels of confidence in the running game. The expectation whenever the ball was placed in his hands was that he would gain nearly five yards per play, and could break it for a first down at any time.

Show-me something

Now, the Rams are back to proving everything. Whether the ball is handed off to Malcolm Brown, Darrell Henderson, Cam Akers, James Gilbert, or Xavier Jones, the team will be more along the lines of “Let’s see what happens now” mindset. While that may seem like a step back, it could very much be positive for 2020.

Facing uncertainty, the LA Rams players will be particularly vigilant over their performance. With Gurley rushing, his ability to gain positive yards camouflaged blocking mistakes. Now, each block on each play will be scrutinized, which could help the inconsistent play from 2019 develop into more dependable play at the line of scrimmage.

Rams starting three

Right now, the Rams will likely stick with three running backs for the 55-man roster and will go with veterans Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson to pair up with rookie Cam Akers. Similar to 2019, look for the Rams to platoon on offense, giving Cam Akers looks in early downs, bringing in Darrell Henderson for third down plays at six yards or better, and going with Malcolm Brown when the team gets into the red zone.

With a lack of direct contact, the Rams are truly limited as to how much they can customize the offense to accentuate the play of Akers. So, the team will likely roll out a similar game plan from 2019, and tweak it a bit out of the box. In the first three games, the Rams worked almost exclusively with a Gurley / Brown backfield until mid-October, when the Rams began to give Henderson a share of the load.

Henderson Brown breakout year?

Of course, the team sticks to the plan as long as everyone remains healthy. And of course, if Malcolm Brown or Darrell Henderson suddenly start putting up stellar numbers, the Rams will most certainly shift towards giving more opportunities to the hot running back.

Malcolm Brown had the makings of a breakout season to start off 2019. Likewise, many expect that LA Rams’ second-year running back Darrell Henderson will have a headliner season in 2020. Much like the offensive line, Henderson’s debut was clouded with injury, which seemed to hamper his timing with the offense. Look for him to synch up in 2020, and perhaps with tremendous effects.

Easing in Akers

The Rams are not big on tossing a rookie into the game, just to sit back and see if he can play or not. That means that Cam Akers will likely not get 30 carries in his first game, nor in any game in the month of September. Some headlines will even ask “What’s wrong with Akers?” as many will scramble to understand why the Rams do not run him into the ground early in the season.

While Akers may not start the season with a huge workload, you can expect the team to ensure he carries the ball. In a 16 game season, we expect Akers will rush 230 times and break 1000 yards rushing for his rookie season. For our money, we expect Akers will be 2/3rds of the Rams rushing offense in 2020 by season’s end.

Rams’ rushing legacy restored

The LA Rams’ history of elite running backs in the NFL is amazing. The list of former Rams rushers is a virtual who’s who of elite running backs in the history of the NFL. That lineage continued through Todd Gurley, who was undoubtedly the keystone of Sean McVay’s offense. Now, that coaching reputation is on the hook. Can McVay’s offense work for the next running back chapter of the Rams?

We think it will. Akers embodies nearly all of the attributes the Rams sought in the 2020 NFL Draft. While an argument can be made that other rushers had an incredible offensive line blocking for them, or that they faced inferior defenses, no such argument can be made to discount Akers collegiate production. He faced the toughest competition and benefited the least from a robust offensive line. While the LA Rams offensive line will likely not be one of the top-ranked units in the NFL, they need only to be consistent and open holes for Akers. He’s proven that he can do the rest.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Interesting, but not a huge surprise that two undrafted rookies are mentioned ahead of RB John Kelly.

Hadn't really seen much mention before about James Gilbert. Xavier Jones highlights are impressive.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Ram's showed last year that they are going to move to an inside power run game. This is not going to be strictly a pass-first run second offense. McVay's passing offense works best off of a strong run attack. When Gurley was in his prime this offense dominated. They passed more last year because Kromer's simplistic outside zone was the only run scheme he installed and when the defense took that away the run attack disappeared.

McVay passed over Kromer for the OC position going with O'Connell who understands QB's and the passing game better. McVay loves his play action, and that will become far more effective if the Rams have a strong inside run attack. This is why I expect O'Connell to run a lot of inside zone and a power inside gap style of run attack. O'Connell was in San Diego when the Chargers ran that type of offense with Tomlinson and Rivers had his best years as a QB. The inside zone and power plays will work well with 11 personnel 3 WR set as it will force most teams to defend the run with a nickel package. This is also why I expect both Akers and Henderson to split carries as the offense does not change with either. They are both similar in their skill sets as one cut and go RBs who are also good receivers. An inside attack also plays to Brown's strength as he lacks the explosive speed needed for a consistent perimeter scheme.

IMO too much is being made of Akers over Henderson because it ultimately will come down to scheme fit and the ability of the o-line to execute their blocks. Both Akers and Henderson have similar speed, but IMO Henderson is more explosive and possibly more elusive, while Akers brings the power. Those are things you want with an inside RB. You want a player who can explode through the holes and creases and one that can break tackles. This is why I feel that both these guys bring something to the table and both can thrive in this offense. Both of these RB's are fully capable of breaking a long run once into the second level. The Rams will have a two-headed RB monster that DCs will try to defend with a nickel package.

In short-yardage I think it will be down to Akers and Brown. But on the goal line I think the choice would be Akers simply because of the speed to take it outside if he has to or the power to exploit a crease. Bottom line is that the Ram's have legitimate threats at RB in Akers and Henderson and McVay is going to use them the way he used Gurley. This is why IMO the o-line simply has to be solid for this offense to dominate both in the passing game as well as on the ground. This offense will be better than the one they had in 2018.

The o-line has real talent. Whitworth even in is waning years is still an above-average LT. Corbett has solidified LG and with experience is going to be better this year. I know I'm in the minority but I think Allen will retain his starting position at C and will develop into a very solid player. That said I also like Shelton having watched him at UW I think he's a very good fit for this offense so IMO they are well set at the center position. IMO the guy that should be starting at RG is Chandler Brewer. This kid has the size, length, play radius, and mobility you want in a RG. He's a big mauler type of old school RG. Edwards's footwork and technique are a long way from what they should be. I understand why they are looking at Evans at RT but I have some concerns. He struggles against edge speed. He's what you want in the run game but in college he didn't show the quickness and footwork needed on the edge at this level. These are things that can be improved with good training and coaching. The lack of actual practices this year could hurt both him and Edwards. It's why I expect the FO to move the training camp out of state.

Defensively, the Rams are much improved over last year and in fact better than their 2018 unit. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this defense was a top 5 unit. Their front 4 could become one of the best in the league and their secondary is as good as I've seen on any team. They have 4 excellent CB's and 3 very good safeties. They have one of the best SAM LBs in Ebukam in the NFL with talent at ILB. I simply don't see any real holes in this roster. There is no lack of talent across the board on the Rams.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Akers reads similar to what henderson did last season: a lot of positives, potential to be tje starter.
A lot hinges on our OL, stating the obvious.
I was one who put a lot of blame on our OL for our lack of rushes.
Yes, we had problems, and I didn't want to believe Gurley was struggling.

This is a new chapter.
I believe McVay has the right players and i am excited to see if either Henderson or Akers will excel.
I think Brown will continue to pay his usual dependable roll.
Would love to see him have a great season and stay healthy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big difference between Henderson and Akers college careers, Henderson was an option in that offense, shared the carries while Akers was "the guy" and teams knew he was getting the rock. Different mind set for sure. Also sets up well for them to fit together