LA Rams DC Staley will field multi-faceted 3-4 defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
LA Rams DC Staley will field multi-faceted 3-4 defense

The LA Rams new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley is one of the NFL’s best-kept secrets. Secrets in that nobody is touting much excitement about the innovative “mad scientist” who is taking over the reins of the Rams steady-Freddie defense. Best in that he is the defensive equivalent of head coach Sean McVay, a young savant whose energy ideas and innovations turn the page to a new chapter of the NFL.

He is a young coach with just three years of NFL experience, but whose analytical mind has grasped every defensive concept he has been exposed to. And he has followed the career of NFL defensive genius Vic Fangio. While that is not a certain guarantee, it creates very fertile ground from which to grow his own defensive concepts and coaching tree. Now the question is, what will those be?

A 3-4 defense by any other name

The LA Rams are about to undertake a journey, a series of trial and error concepts as the Staley experiments with the defense to create the most effective version. These experiments will involve personnel packages, defensive formations, and unorthodox defensive assignments as he scrambles the defense to thwart each new offense the Rams face. That means that the defense can be as exotic in a formation as a 2-5-4, a 3-3-4, a 6-1-4, or any other version designed to confuse and deny the opposing quarterback’s ability to read the defense.

View: https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1263555027194560512?s=21

Emphasizing versatility and player strengths? Let’s discuss that.

Able to adapt to many different functions

That word “versatility” is simply a buzzword today. When the season starts, it will be the bread and butter of the Rams defense. In short, it means that the LA Rams defense will be able to adapt to many different functions. How that works in defense is the key. Since offensive coordinators have become so effective at cracking the basic defensive formation codes, Staley’s route is to improve the encryption of the defensive formation.

The concepts will be based in the Fangio philosophy, where defenses show zone coverage, but transform into man coverage. That’s very similar to the defense Wade Phillips uses as well, and one of the key reasons why McVay sought Staley to be Phillips successor as defensive coordinator.

Match zone

The match zone defense is very much like basketball, where defenders play man to man with a receiver, but hand that player off to another defender to cover at a specific range. Former Rams DC Phillips explained the match zone like this:

“We say, ‘Hey, you’re playing this zone, but when a guy comes over there, you match with him,’” Phillips explained. “You pass it off, just like in basketball. When another guy comes there, you go there. That’s the simple way to tell you how we played matchup zone. We play a lot of match zone, but people think we’re playing man-to-man. Hopefully that confuses them. It probably confused you already.” – per interview with Rich Kurtzman, Broncoswire.usatoday.com

That begs the question, what are the differences we can expect for the Rams 3-4 defense right out of the gates?

3-4 defenses are like fingerprints

The LA Rams will not be blitzing much in this new defense. That’s part of the Vic Fangio DNA that has likely passed down to Staley. Phillips defenses tend to be formulated to the down and distance, a prescribed but a finite number of options for the defense, a base of “here’s our 11 best guys on defense, and we dare you to move the ball against them”. Defensive players have defined roles, and it was a coaching decision to blitz in order to create pressure on the quarterback.

But the new defense will be far more rotations. far fewer blitzes, and a host of “what are they doing” role-changing elements which are designed to pressure the quarterback at his most vulnerable spot- his ability to read the defense effectively. That means hesitation in the pocket, giving defenders more time to record a sack. Even more, it triggers misreads and running plays into a defense designed to thwart that play.

Mirage management

The Rams defense taps into the second-guessing nature that is embedded in each of us. So how does that work? As the Rams replace defensive players in situations to respond in unexpected ways, their confidence is soon erased with a need to diagnose unexpected personnel packages. Let’s walk through a scenario:

The season opener against the Dallas Cowboys finds the Cowboys at third down and six at their 24-yard line. The Rams show just two defenders as down linemen and Aaron Donald is in a two-point stance at linebacker depth. Seeing this, the Cowboys call an audible out of a pass to run the ball by Ezekiel Elliott. But by doing so, the Rams have dictated the offensive play by the confusing formation. The Rams are running a 2-5-4 defense on this play, with Aaron Donald over the center. Now the Rams can swarm to the runner on this play, and with Donald flexing, the offense has no chance to double team him. The result of the play? Elliot gets a one-yard gain, resulting in a fourth-down punt.

Different faces, same results

That same type of defense dictating the direction of offense happens any time the Rams throw a new wrinkle at the offense. That’s why the Ram emphasized versatility on the defense. Players like Terrell Burgess, Jordan Fuller, Adonis Alexander, even Clay Johnston give the Rams players who can line up in one role, but take on a different role as soon as that ball is snapped.

The Rams can even change up elite players into unexpected roles. The LA Rams traded a pretty stiff package of draft picks to bring in elite cornerback Jalen Ramsey to the team. So now that they have him on the roster, he’ll play shutdown outside cornerback exclusively, right? Not if you believe the recent statements Staley has made about his star defensive back. In short, Staley believes that Ramsey could dominate in virtually any defensive back role on the team.

Why mess with success? More success

The LA Rams will face San Francisco tight end George Kittle twice a season. In 2019, he feasted on the Rams for 13 receptions, 182 yards, and a touchdown in just two games. One of the first objectives for the Rams defense in 2020 is stopping that type of house burning performance from an opponent.

Kittle typically draws the slot cornerback. But what if the Rams were able to position Jalen Ramsey as his primary defender? That would force the 49ers to either throw into one of the NFL’s best pass defenders or direct the ball to another receiver. That not only shuts Kittle down, but it would force 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to read his progressions, giving Aaron Donald and the Rams defense more time to zero in on him. But if that’s the case, what are the goals of the defense?

Goals

So what are the defensive goals of Staley’s defense? His mentor, Vic Fangio, focused on points allowed, turnovers, and then yards allowed. The Rams are coming off the 2019 season where the defense was ranked 17th in the league for points allowed, and tied for 15th in the league in the takeaway/giveaway ratio. So there is definitely some ground to make up.

While the LA Rams were ranked 12th in pass defense in 2019, their run defense was ranked 19th in the NFL. That’s concerning, as the offense was able to score points. The Rams have taken strides to bolster their run defense in free agency by adding OLB Leonard Floyd and NT A’Shawn Robinson while re-signing DE Michael Brockers. All three will contribute to creating a solid run defense.

What are the takeaways from this Rams defense?

While the Rams defense has little to do with giveaways, the team will most certainly emphasize takeaways in 2020. The Rams did a good job in 2019, ranking 12th in interceptions and seventh in fumble recoveries. Can the Rams do more in 2020? Likely so. The Rams boasted six different defensive backs with two interceptions each. While the Rams no longer have either Marcus Peters or Cory Littleton, the Rams will not struggle with swapping out both starting cornerbacks in mid-season this year.

As the Rams emphasize deception, the likelihood of mistakes committed by the offense increases exponentially. A stiffer defense also plays into giving the offense opportunities to play higher percentages. In 2019, the Rams lost four times by double digits. Falling behind by that much in a game forces higher risk plays by the offense. That gives the offense better options to move the ball. Meanwhile, the defense focuses upon stopping the run, generating turnovers, and preventing scores. Strip away everything else, and the LA Rams are simply going to create unspeakable headaches for offenses in 2020. And their pain is the LA Rams gain.

fearsomefour

Legend
Ehhh.
In that match zone we too often saw two guy jump on one receiver that came into a zone with a second receiver running by themselves.
Donald, Floyd, Rapp, Johnson, Ramsey.
These five will always be on the field.
It will be interesting to see how the personals matches and rotations work.
Really looking forward to see how the DBs not named Ramsey shakes out.
Also, Joseph-Day.
He had a very solid year last year.
I think he can continue to develop....with some pass rushing skills as well.
Change was due for the Rams D.
Looking forward to see if the young coach can pull it off.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
A 3-4 defense by any other name

The LA Rams are about to undertake a journey, a series of trial and error concepts as the Staley experiments with the defense to create the most effective version. These experiments will involve personnel packages, defensive formations, and unorthodox defensive assignments as he scrambles the defense to thwart each new offense the Rams face. That means that the defense can be as exotic in a formation as a 2-5-4, a 3-3-4, a 6-1-4, or any other version designed to confuse and deny the opposing quarterback’s ability to read the defense.
Fielding only 10 players is a truly exotic formation

In all seriousness though its really nothing new. Most DCs are taking this approach, even Phillips did as our DC. I guess maybe we'll see them more often.
In 2019, he feasted on the Rams for 13 receptions, 182 yards, and a touchdown in just two games.
Most of the damage was done in game one, 8 targets, 8 receptions, 108 yards. For some reason Reeder was left to cover Kittle on some of those receptions. Having Johnson back will help slow him down.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The author Bret Stuter suggests the Rams could use different personnel groupings, including
‘a 2-5-4, a 3-3-4, a 6-1-4, or any other version designed to confuse’

Personally, I hope they stay away from a 3-3-4. Although it may initially confuse the opponent, NFL offenses are tough enough to stop with eleven defenders. Would not like the Rams chances using just ten.

Agree that the Rams have some versatile defenders. Just hope they have enough good players.

Also like the idea of showing different looks at an opponent but the players need to know their responsibilities and execute. A shortened/limited offseason and Camp with lots of new and many young players learning a new system under a new coordinator will be a challenge.

I think of that blown coverage late in the Niner game. Phillips used to say his defense was simple because he wanted his players to know exactly what to do. Lots of times a defense is beaten because someone is not where he is supposed to be.

I am glad the Rams moved on and are going to be more creative. Just think execution will be challenging.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The author Bret Stuter suggests the Rams could use different personnel groupings, including
‘a 2-5-4, a 3-3-4, a 6-1-4, or any other version designed to confuse’

Personally, I hope they stay away from a 3-3-4. Although it may initially confuse the opponent, NFL offenses are tough enough to stop with eleven defenders. Would not like the Rams chances using just ten.

Agree that the Rams have some versatile defenders. Just hope they have enough good players.

Also like the idea of showing different looks at an opponent but the players need to know their responsibilities and execute. A shortened/limited offseason and Camp with lots of new and many young players learning a new system under a new coordinator will be a challenge.

I think of that blown coverage late in the Niner game. Phillips used to say his defense was simple because he wanted his players to know exactly what to do. Lots of times a defense is beaten because someone is not where he is supposed to be.

I am glad the Rams moved on and are going to be more creative. Just think execution will be challenging.
My thoughts exactly on the 3-3-4. Doesn't seem like the high percentage move.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I can't tell if that was a typo, if everyone else is playing along with it and I'm retarded or what, but is it possible the writer meant 3-3-5? Right?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I can't tell if that was a typo, if everyone else is playing along with it and I'm retarded or what, but is it possible the writer meant 3-3-5? Right?

Just a typo by the author, and some of us having a little fun with it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Exotic Formations/Personnel under Wade

4-4-3
1590438930228.png

3-3-5 or 3-4-4, Littleton at OLB, Johnson in at LB. Later on in the game they lineup in a 3-3-5 Wide (3DL,2OLB, 1 LB)
1590439563054.png

6-1-4
1590440129398.png

Typical 2-4-5 Nickel with Rapp as LB, I guess technically 2-3-6 Dime. Both Fowler and Obo on the same side though.
1590446129055.png

Similar setup, both OLBs are standing up though
1590449009469.png

Don't really know what this is called. Fox(NT) and Donald (edge) are the down lineman, Fowler is the other edge rusher, and Matthews, Rapp, and Littleton are the inside LBs.
1590449401687.png

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
The hybrid 3-4 uses OLB as edge rushers. So when Floyd, Donald, Robinson & Lewis are on the field it's going to look like a 4-3 by alignment but only 2 of the front 7 are d-linemen. That's the way it's played and why teams are moving to it. Brockers is simply listed as D-line because he plays DE and DT in rotation.

Suh rarely came off the field and I think McVay liked that. It's why IMO they signed Robinson. He's a 3 down DT able to play anywhere on the d-line. Floyd can lineup as a 5T then drop off to play SAM while Ebukam rushes the QB. In a 4-3 Lewis would be a DE but on the Rams he's an OLB.

It's nothing new it's been played this way since Wade arrived and they switched to a 3-4. Wade never had the level of talent that Staley has now. It's why Fowler who struggled as an OLB was allowed to walk. It's why Littleton who lacked the speed to play anything but zone was allowed to walk. That's why they loved Burgess and Lewis because they can play more than one position and style. Burgess can play CB and safety and Lewis can play DE and SAM. This is why I've been saying this defense is way underrated by the so-called media experts. They don't understand the 3-4 hybrid defensive scheme.

Look at who they have to play in their DIME package secondary. Ramsey, Long, Rapp, Johnson, Burgess, and Williams make up a very formidable secondary. They can play a two-deep shell with Burgess and Johnson with man under with Ramsey, Long, Rapp, and Williams. They can double the outside or handoff. Meanwhile the QB will have less than 3 seconds to decide with a pass rush of Floyd, AD, Robinson, and Lewis coming at him. Ebukam provides contain and coverage in the flats. Snead has built a defense that when it gets going can dominate. The Ram defense in 2018 was an average unit. The team was carried by the offense. This team is built to be equally capable on both offense and defense. That's why I'm saying this team can be something that the Rams haven't seen in a long time. A complete team on both sides of the ball.

Let me simply say that if the Rams had this defensive talent in 2018 they would have won the Super Bowl and that is exactly what Snead and McVay have realized and why they have made the moves that they have. I love what they have done to this team. I honestly can say that I don't think there is a more talented roster in the NFL. Right now this team has no holes.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The hybrid 3-4 uses OLB as edge rushers. So when Floyd, Donald, Robinson & Lewis are on the field it's going to look like a 4-3 by alignment but only 2 of the front 7 are d-linemen. That's the way it's played and why teams are moving to it. Brockers is simply listed as D-line because he plays DE and DT in rotation.

Suh rarely came off the field and I think McVay liked that. It's why IMO they signed Robinson. He's a 3 down DT able to play anywhere on the d-line. Floyd can lineup as a 5T then drop off to play SAM while Ebukam rushes the QB. In a 4-3 Lewis would be a DE but on the Rams he's an OLB.

It's nothing new it's been played this way since Wade arrived and they switched to a 3-4. Wade never had the level of talent that Staley has now. It's why Fowler who struggled as an OLB was allowed to walk. It's why Littleton who lacked the speed to play anything but zone was allowed to walk. That's why they loved Burgess and Lewis because they can play more than one position and style. Burgess can play CB and safety and Lewis can play DE and SAM. This is why I've been saying this defense is way underrated by the so-called media experts. They don't understand the 3-4 hybrid defensive scheme.

Look at who they have to play in their DIME package secondary. Ramsey, Long, Rapp, Johnson, Burgess, and Williams make up a very formidable secondary. They can play a two-deep shell with Burgess and Johnson with man under with Ramsey, Long, Rapp, and Williams. They can double the outside or handoff. Meanwhile the QB will have less than 3 seconds to decide with a pass rush of Floyd, AD, Robinson, and Lewis coming at him. Ebukam provides contain and coverage in the flats. Snead has built a defense that when it gets going can dominate. The Ram defense in 2018 was an average unit. The team was carried by the offense. This team is built to be equally capable on both offense and defense. That's why I'm saying this team can be something that the Rams haven't seen in a long time. A complete team on both sides of the ball.

Let me simply say that if the Rams had this defensive talent in 2018 they would have won the Super Bowl and that is exactly what Snead and McVay have realized and why they have made the moves that they have. I love what they have done to this team. I honestly can say that I don't think there is a more talented roster in the NFL. Right now this team has no holes.

Love your enthusiasm about the team's talent and the defense! Agree with you that the Rams have a chance to be very capable on both sides of the ball. McVay and Snead have filled roster gaps in a very purposeful way. Imo the main question is how quickly they can put all the pieces together this year, but things are looking much better.

The talent on D certainly presents a lot of possibilities. Staley needs to match up his versatile players with the right creative schemes, but I somehow have the feeling he may prove to be a McVay type chess master on D.

It will at very least be really interesting and fun to see how the Rams unfold this season.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I really believe the DL & DB rooms can be special and I'm not talking Ralph Wiggium special LOL

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

It's nothing new it's been played this way since Wade arrived and they switched to a 3-4. Wade never had the level of talent that Staley has now. It's why Fowler who struggled as an OLB was allowed to walk. It's why Littleton who lacked the speed to play anything but zone was allowed to walk. That's why they loved Burgess and Lewis because they can play more than one position and style.

I hope you’re right because you are predicting big things from the defense. However, I don’t agree with your Littleton speed comment or the opinion that Robinson is a three-down-DL that can play anywhere on the line.

Also think all 3-4s use the outside backers as edge rushers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those of you that haven’t signed up for The Athletic yet go do it. Really good content including a piece today from Jourdan our new reporter. It’s about the new coordinators.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams hope new defensive boss Brandon Staley is a quick fixer

It’s not a souffle or a roast duck. It’s football. The prep time is overrated.

When Brandon Staley was coaching at John Carroll, there was no spring practice. At Hutchinson Junior College at Kansas, players constantly rushed through the turnstile, none available for more than two years.

“When I got hired by the Bears, Khalil Mack showed up seven days before the first regular-season game,” Staley said. “And that was one of his best games. People wonder about it, but the competition starts when everything goes live.”

Stanley is the 37-year-old defensive coordinator of the Rams. He was Mack’s position coach in Chicago. When he followed Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell to Denver, Von Miller was in his linebackers’ room.

“I told him he could coach 20 years and not have two guys like that,” Donatell said.

Instead, Staley now works with Aaron Donald, who could be roused from a midnight snooze and still sack quarterbacks.

Donald says he wants to see Staley’s defensive alignments “out there on the grass,” not just on teleconferences. But with no live OTAs or mini-camps and maybe a truncated summer session, Staley will be operating under a running clock and a tight lens. They say trust is built slowly. Not here.

“The first thing he does with those guys is establish his knowledge,” said Donatell, who became Denver’s defensive coordinator when Fangio became the head man. “Then he connects with people. The great players are looking for somebody with credibility and it doesn’t matter who it is. That won’t be a problem for Brandon.

“He’s prepared. When he interviewed with us in Chicago, he showed he’d been following Vic not just for a couple of years but for 10. He can frame problems quickly, while everything is going on, and address them. I know (Rams’ coach) Sean McVay is unique, but Brandon will be a good match.”

“Aaron would play well with my wife Amy coaching him,” said Staley, who added that, as a schoolteacher, she often coaches him. When she heard him use the sloppy expression “aiiight” in too many remote conversations, she called him out.

Like McVay, Staley was a high school quarterback, in Perry, Ohio. He also quarterbacked at Dayton, not far from McVay’s Miami of Ohio.

Unlike McVay, Staley took the scenic route to the NFL. He was an assistant at Northern Illinois at 24, went to St. Thomas (MN) at 27, was at Hutchinson at 28, was a Tennessee graduate assistant at 30.

Then Staley ducked out of prime time and spent three of the next four years at John Carroll, with a pit stop at James Madison. He was ready to join his John Carroll coach, Tom Arth, at Tennessee-Chattanooga when the Bears called.

“Other than Jon Gruden, who played quarterback here, Brandon was the best at putting stuff on the greaseboard,” said ex-Dayton coach Mike Kelly, “although it was a chalkboard back then.”

Joe Novak, the Northern Illinois coach, made Staley a defensive backfield coach for the same reason, because Staley could see all the pieces moving.

“When a young kid wants to get into coaching,” Novak said. “I always ask them, ‘Can you live without it?’ Because if he can, he probably should. I don’t think Brandon can live without it, and he shouldn’t.”

“I’ve been able to coach all 22 positions,” Staley said. “But I just grew up fascinated with all of it. I was drinking coffee and reading the paper every morning in the first grade. What I’m going to show the players is that I’m out there competing as much as they are.”

Hidden in that curriculum vitae is a scrimmage against Hodgkin’s lymphoma when Staley was 24. He coached for NIU through it all. His dad Bruce, who was his high school coach, is also a cancer survivor. His mom Linda was not. She died three years before Brandon got sick.
Staley might be the new kid, but the block has changed. Only four of the 11 defensive Rams who started in the Super Bowl in 2019 are still here. You might ask what Wade Phillips did to lose his job, since the Rams were fourth in sacks and seventh in rush defense (per carry). But the bad games were really bad (Tampa Bay, Dallas, Baltimore, San Francisco) and the third down and red zone stats were below the NFL average.

McVay surely remembered a back-alley night in Chicago, 2018, when the Bears picked Jared Goff four times and dealt him a 19.1 passer rating in a 15-6 win. Staley’s resume was built by association. This job could go any which way, but forget the prep time. He’s been in training camp all his life.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Man im pumped to see what Staley does with the defense. Probably the one thing im looking forward to the most this upcoming season. It's time to do AD some justice by not making him carry the defense on his back. He deserves to be part of an elite defense while still in his prime.