Kurt Warner breaks down Stafford vs Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't think its any secret he feels more an attachment to the Cardinals than the Rams. Its a shame though. This is not the same organization that treated him the way the previous one did. He mentioned something about having more faith in Murray than Stafford. Which I don't agree with. But you also have to wonder if his opinion isn't biased driven.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
It may be the same team he played for (Rams...), but definitely different owners... Having worked at the same company, at different times under different owners - I can say they feel like different companies... Good . bad or the same, that is the way I see it....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Here's some of what he said about Stafford. And what he thinks of Murray and the Cardinals:

And while Warner was wowed by the Rams’ explosive effort, which evened the season series between the two teams and narrowed Arizona’s division lead to one game, he remains somewhat skeptical about L.A.’s chances of sustained success.

We went over a lot of variables, but in the end, Warner focused on the area he knows best — and which happens to be the most significant determinant of a team’s playoff fortunes.

“As always, it’s gonna come down to consistency at quarterback, and I’m still kind of holding my breath with the Rams,” Warner said. “I’m worried about who Matthew Stafford is gonna be in the playoffs. We’ve seen him play really well at times, like (Monday) night, but we’ve also seen him make some brutal mistakes that keep his team from winning. And when the playoffs come, we don’t know which Matthew Stafford we’re going to get.

“I think you always have to look at who a guy is. What I mean is, how he’s had to play his whole career. In Matthew’s case, it’s always been, ‘I have to win games for my team.’ And the thing is, we say, ‘OK, now he doesn’t have to think that way. He can just be more conservative and play within the framework.’ But when you’ve been doing that for 12 years, it’s not as easy as, ‘Oh, don’t play that way.’ It’s hard to change that mindset.”

Stafford, who failed to win a playoff game in three attempts during his 12 seasons with the Detroit Lions, certainly was impressive against the Cardinals.

“He made some unbelievable throws, which he’s capable of doing,” Warner said. “He fit balls into very tight places. But you’ll also see him kind of take those shots when throws aren’t as open.

“So my question is, who are we gonna get come playoff time? We’ve seen both in Detroit — we saw them win some games because he’s Matthew Stafford, and we saw them lose some games because he’s Matthew Stafford. When he gets into the playoffs this time, if things aren’t going great — and a lot of times in the playoffs, they aren’t — who will show up?”

As for the Cardinals and third-year quarterback Kyler Murray, well, Warner is less concerned.

“Here’s the thing,” he said. “I’ve watched the Cardinals lose two games in person now, to the Packers and the Rams. The thing to me is that they’ve lost both games and didn’t play well in either one, and yet they’re never out of it. They’re so explosive. Things can change on a dime. Even (Monday) night, when they were down 14 in the fourth quarter, you’re still holding your breath and thinking, ‘They could win this.’

“When you have a team like that, you say to yourself, ‘This is a team that can compete with anybody in the league.’ If they can play like that and barely lose to the Rams and Packers, they’ve got a shot — like the Rams, and some other NFC teams — to string three or four games together and be around at the end. Kyler made a couple of mistakes (Monday) night, but they’re playing at such a high level in so many different areas, and they can beat you so many different ways.”

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Me thinks too many people want to disparage Kurt as a Cardinals fan. But he clearly still loves the horns in spite of how he was dealt by the former regime.

#lovesmesomeKW

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't think its any secret he feels more an attachment to the Cardinals than the Rams. Its a shame though. This is not the same organization that treated him the way the previous one did. He mentioned something about having more faith in Murray than Stafford. Which I don't agree with. But you also have to wonder if his opinion isn't biased driven.
Well those 3 games by Stafford would cause some apprehension about Stafford. All he has to do is not have any more brain farts and it will be chocked up to injury, distractions and getting comfortable with the team and system.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me thinks too many people want to disparage Kurt as a Cardinals fan. But he clearly still loves the horns in spite of how he was dealt by the former regime.

#lovesmesomeKW
Hi-Vee clerk homer!

Ram65

Legend
Kurt didn't give a shout-out to the offensive line. So, I will. The protection was a big difference for Stafford in this game. The just enough of a run threat of Sony Michel helped keep the pass rush down.

The throw to OBJ in the middle of the field was crazy good. The long TD pass of 60 yards in the air was also crazy good. Great breakdown by Rams Super Bowl-winning QB Kurt Warner. He showed the great route concepts and running done by the Rams. If I were to nit-pick, Stafford admitted in the post-game interview that he could have given Kupp a couple of better throws for more YAC. I expect things to get better down the stretch as McVay, Stafford and the rest of the Rams come together for the run to a championship.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here's some of what he said about Stafford. And what he thinks of Murray and the Cardinals:
Yeah Kurt is very aware of the QB/WR combination and overall explosiveness of the offenses. And he's right, the Cards probably do have a more dangerous offense, more explosive. But winning it all is not just about the offense. There's a lot more to survival in the playoffs than just that.

Rams do have some elements to them that are trending the right way. Stuff like their stoutness vs the run where they are looking better and better with a rebuilt middle of their front. Also their run game as well as their OL depth are both significant. And Odell coming on might be another thing that really puts them over the top.

I'm not all overconfident like I was earlier this year but I do still feel like this team has everything you need if they put it together. So hopefully this year in the playoffs we'll get a good look at Kurt with some fresh tears all over his Cardinals sweatshirt.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I kinda don't like how Warners amazing story seems to be the narrative behind the success of the GSOT. Kurt Warner didn't "win us a Superbowl". HOFers Orlando Pace, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk... and the rest of that roster and staff all played a part.. Kurt was obviously a huge piece to that success but Marc Bulger could make that offense hum too, not like Warner in 99, but that team was already in decline by Bulgers time. Vermeil, Al Saunders and Trent Green had a very productive offense in KC and if Green didn't get injured in STL, I have little doubt that he would have had a huge season too. Maybe not win a ring, but the Rams had an amazing team in 99. That's the narrative I believe in. I like Kurt, but I think he and his wife might have believed his own hype. When the Rams suggested that he wasn't the teams savior, just their QB and benched him when he was struggling, he couldn't get over it.

He's not a
Ram anymore and he has made it clear he doesn't consider himself a Ram. He and his wife have publicly criticized the team that gave him his chance to make his dreams come true...

So who cares what
Arizona Cardinals own Kurt Warner thinks about Matt Stafford or the Rams???
(just a subtle wink and nod to the typical ROD response to former players...)

I'll always appreciate Warner. He was a huge reason we have a ring and he was a great Quarterback and I wish things could have went differently... but too many "Rams fans" were really only Warner fans and they bailed on us as soon as he was gone. It made it easy for me to move on!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda don't like how Warners amazing story seems to be the narrative behind the success of the GSOT. Kurt Warner didn't "win us a Superbowl". HOFers Orlando Pace, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk... and the rest of that roster and staff all played a part.. Kurt was obviously a huge piece to that success but Marc Bulger could make that offense hum too, not like Warner in 99, but that team was already in decline by Bulgers time. Vermeil, Al Saunders and Trent Green had a very productive offense in KC and if Green didn't get injured in STL, I have little doubt that he would have had a huge season too. Maybe not win a ring, but the Rams had an amazing team in 99. That's the narrative I believe in. I like Kurt, but I think he and his wife might have believed his own hype. When the Rams suggested that he wasn't the teams savior, just their QB and benched him when he was struggling, he couldn't get over it.

He's not a
Ram anymore and he has made it clear he doesn't consider himself a Ram. He and his wife have publicly criticized the team that gave him his chance to make his dreams come true...

So who cares what
Arizona Cardinals own Kurt Warner thinks about Matt Stafford or the Rams???
(just a subtle wink and nod to the typical ROD response to former players...)

I'll always appreciate Warner. He was a huge reason we have a ring and he was a great Quarterback and I wish things could have went differently... but too many "Rams fans" were really only Warner fans and they bailed on us as soon as he was gone. It made it easy for me to move on!
But Kurt WAS so important, I don’t think we would have won in 1999 without him. If memory serves, he was MVP of the NFL and MVP of the Super Bowl in 1999. GSOT totally shocked all of their opponents that year, which covered the deficiencies of our defense that year, because they could always just rush the passer due to constantly enjoying a big lead. I say that because they blew up that defense after the failed 2000 season.
Could Trent Green have done well? Yes, but there are many good to great QB’s never even get the chance of winning a Super Bowl. Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Az, all made it possible to win in 1999. There is no guessing about Warner's impact. It’s concrete and verifiable, and so saying that Green or another available QB in 1999 could have done as well, as though Kurt was just a replaceable cog in Martz’s machine (Martz believed that), is not really likely. I certainly don’t think Bulger could have done what Kurt did in “99. Bulger was a tough little sumbich, but he wasn’t that great of a leader, as was Kurt. We would have been happy with either Green or Bulger if Warner never took the stage, but I don’t think we’d have had our1st Super Bowl ring. Kurt had the indefinable “IT.” He proved in St Louis and in Phoenix that he’s the guy that can bring a team back to win the most important games. He thrived in the big moments. He won that Super Bowl vs Pittsbur, but his Cards’ defense couldn’t stop Rothlisberger in that last drive.

He WAS all that and a bag of chips, which makes his current love for another team over the Rams so unbearable to me. When Kurt shows up at Rams park to visit and talk to the guys in camp when the NFLN isn’t paying him to do it, ll will be forgiven. But until then, all my Kurt Warner objects from that time, sit in a closet, gathering dust. It’s just how I feel.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But Kurt WAS so important, I don’t think we would have won in 1999 without him. If memory serves, he was MVP of the NFL and MVP of the Super Bowl in 1999. GSOT totally shocked all of their opponents that year, which covered the deficiencies of our defense that year, because they could always just rush the passer due to constantly enjoying a big lead. I say that because they blew up that defense after the failed 2000 season.
Could Trent Green have done well? Yes, but there are many good to great QB’s never even get the chance of winning a Super Bowl. Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Az, all made it possible to win in 1999. There is no guessing about Warner's impact. It’s concrete and verifiable, and so saying that Green or another available QB in 1999 could have done as well, as though Kurt was just a replaceable cog in Martz’s machine (Martz believed that), is not really likely. I certainly don’t think Bulger could have done what Kurt did in “99. Bulger was a tough little sumbich, but he wasn’t that great of a leader, as was Kurt. We would have been happy with either Green or Bulger if Warner never took the stage, but I don’t think we’d have had our1st Super Bowl ring. Kurt had the indefinable “IT.” He proved in St Louis and in Phoenix that he’s the guy that can bring a team back to win the most important games. He thrived in the big moments. He won that Super Bowl vs Pittsbur, but his Cards’ defense couldn’t stop Rothlisberger in that last drive.

He WAS all that and a bag of chips, which makes his current love for another team over the Rams so unbearable to me. When Kurt shows up at Rams park to visit and talk to the guys in camp when the NFLN isn’t paying him to do it, ll will be forgiven. But until then, all my Kurt Warner objects from that time, sit in a closet, gathering dust. It’s just how I feel.
Agreed, no other QB that was on that roster was going to make the throws Warner made. Green never had anything close to that kind of production that makes me think otherwise.

It was an amazing offense but Warner was the one driving it and Martz was just another guy without him.

Of course it didn’t hurt to have those guys to throw to and Marshall in the backfield.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd guess that if you re-ran the 1999 season with Trent Green running it you'd have a playoff group. But probably don't win it all. Might not be a high seed or whatever. So Kurt definitely was a big part of the success.

But I also think making it all about him is overlooking the impact of DV. Vermiel kind of got hosed IMO. He built that roster bit by bit and weeded out the quitters with brutal camps and what was left was a diamond. Plenty of cred to go around to all involved to include Martz but one thing to consider was that Vermiel was one of the best coaches in the league in Philly. He built that team without high picks too iirc. Then he goes and unfucks the Rams in the face of that ownership and front office which was unbelievable.

It always just sort of bugged me that everyone was all over Martz's nuts that year. Everyone. Even Bill Walsh was quoted talking about how Martz going here or there would be such a big deal. Rams front office fell all over themselves trying to kiss Martz's ass and "anoint" him before DV said fuck it and retired after the big win.

So yeah I get that the movie is probably from Kurt's point of view. But that's only one dude's point of view and it's true there were some really big contributors to that amazing story.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
That bender to OBJ while taking a shot to the face is legit one of the best throws of the NFL season from any QB. You can almost hear Warner giggle as the ball finds OBJs hands. Orlovsky broke down the same play on Twitter and had the same giddy reaction.

Q729

Legend
So why do they have a rule that stops the the clock if you go backwards? Is it just the way the rule is worded?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Kurt and the Greatest Show on Turf is a great story but there'd be no Lombardi in the case without that defense and that special teams group. They had the whole package.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So why do they have a rule that stops the the clock if you go backwards? Is it just the way the rule is worded?
Forward momentum. I haven't read the exact wording, but if a player's forward momentum is stopped prior to going out of bounds, the clock continues to run.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I didn't mean to imply that anyone else would have been as good Kurt. Just indicating what kind of talent was surrounding the QB. IMO the best supporting cast ever. That's all I meant.
Like I said, Warner was amazing and I wish it went differently.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Most of the shots he takes at Stafford can apply to a greater extent to the midget -

What‘s the midget going to do in the playoffs? Has he won a playoff game?

The big boy pants didn’t fit last Monday night against the Rams practice squad secondary.

Midget has had some brutal games this year…19 turnovers? Was it 2 picks against the Rams in a prime time division game?

Takes some throws that aren’t as open? Midget throws up low percentage passes EVERY game. His WR talent bails his ass out all the time.

Disagree with Kurt.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Excellent breakdowns. I feel that much smarter after watching this. The schemes and the routes are run to near perfection. I also love the RB meeting the rusher at the hole instead of letting him get into the QB's face. Seeing this verifies that the Rams have some outstanding route runners in Kupp and OBJ with some VanJ in there too. Also Sony has improved his blocking skills.