KhaDarel Hodge - Highlights / Info

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope he sneaks through to our practice squad. Hodge looks like a good young receiver.

That said, I don't want him to replace Thomas or Reynolds. Thomas is our best special teams player not named Zuerlein, Hekker, or McQuaide, and Reynolds is much bigger and more polished as a receiver than Hodge.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. The way Hemmingway went down with ease after barely being hit by a smaller guy doesn't project well at all. He lacks explosion, toughness or route running, so why is he a TE exactly.

Yeah, that play was disappointing. Like he was going through the motions.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You don't expect a guy added to the roster right before Camp to stick, but it looks like Hodge will make the practice squad. If he can develop the technical side of the game and prove his worth on special teams, he might end up on the active roster sooner than later.

Me? No.
I think we are set and I have seen much more from Reynolds and Thomas.
But I think he has a chance to play in this league, maybe for us.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only reason I made the post was because I knew nothing about him, seems no one else did either, so I shared what I found.

Sorry lol

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agreed. The way Hemmingway went down with ease after barely being hit by a smaller guy doesn't project well at all. He lacks explosion, toughness or route running, so why is he a TE exactly.

Well he is excellent on special teams, plus a good blocker.

—When I went to UCI 3 years ago I stated he should be on defense.
Last year through OTA’s McVay really likes him.He got injured early in TC
He would be an excellent pass rusher.He is very athletic & has long arms.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He is a starter for god knows what reason...So obviously he is grandfathered in this offense, but his ball skills under pressure are suspect.

Like I said !! Higbee is the best TE The Rams have on there roster. He also has earned his spot, & keeps improving.You can have an ass sore on him, maybe he will grow on you.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The only reason I made the post was because I knew nothing about him, seems no one else did either, so I shared what I found.

Sorry lol

May God have mercy on your soul....FWIW I thought that kid KhaDarel Hodge from Prairie View A&M had another good game, wonder if he will be in the conversation to make the roster.

fearsomefour

Legend
Everyone has a hard on for Higbee. But damn dude is suspect to drops when its matters most. Mundt and Kreiger could be a possible replacement. These dudes catch when it does matter most.
I would keep Mundt as the third TE at this point.
Higbee and Everett are both clearly staying.
I don't see anything special with Hemingway.
I don't see anything special with Mundt either but he is a solid blocker at least.
Hemingway is always giving up angles when blocking.
At the end of the day we are probably looking at Higbee, Everett, Hemingway on the roster.

fearsomefour

Legend
Teams look for TEs to be big receivers at this point. Particularly in college.
A guy like Hemingway could just be a better athlete than whoever he faced in colllege.
Pass catcher first.
Good blockers are hard to find now at TE.
Used to be a TE that could be a receiving threat was rare.
I'm keeping Mundt as the third at this point.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been a big supporter of Josh Reynolds since we drafted him. Former basket ball player who hopefully would catch the high pass in the corner of the endzone. I know he caught the one TD last season, but I was expecting him to at least shine in preseason, and he’s been really nothing special so far. Then this Hodge kid comes out of nowhere, and starts catching crazy passes, like that 50 yarder yesterday...and the TD last week. Sometimes, potential isn’t enough.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend

Great post loved the highlights.
Khadarel Hodge is a WR that extremely smooth and fluid. He makes the catches look natural and easy. Looking at his college highlights he ran a lot of slants and go routes. Seemed to run pass defenders. Probably needs some route running training but, he appears to have good hand and good tracking ability.

Rams site may have is measurable wrong. Would like it verified. Either way he should be on the practice squad because he has what you can't teach.

http://www.nfl.com/player/khadarelhodge/2561653/profile
KhaDarel Hodge #11 WR

Los Angeles Rams | Official Team Site

Height: 6-2 Weight: 205 Age: 23

Born: 1/3/1995

College: Prairie View A&M

Experience: Rookie

High School:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is a starter for god knows what reason...So obviously he is grandfathered in this offense, but his ball skills under pressure are suspect.
He is far and away the best blocking TE we have, the others aren't even close. He's good in the pass game, actually caught a higher rate of targets last year than Everett. The criticism he gets is most times laughable.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would keep Mundt as the third TE at this point.
Higbee and Everett are both clearly staying.
I don't see anything special with Hemingway.

Johnny Mundt has the best hands of the TE's on the roster and if Hemmingway is going to continue to lollygag out there, then he's going to be on the outside looking in. I could see the Rams keeping 4 TE's possibly though.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnny Mundt has the best hands of the TE's on the roster and if Hemmingway is going to continue to lollygag out there, then he's going to be on the outside looking in. I could see the Rams keeping 4 TE's possibly though.

I'm skeptical about the Rams keeping 4 TEs, mainly because the Rams have other positions where it's likely they will need to keep extra. For instance, OL - 3 starters are free agents at the end of the season, the other two starters are old. I think all 3 rookies will be kept, but I'm not sure Demby and Allen are ready to be game day actives yet, meaning somebody else will need to be kept. Linebackers are still fighting it out, so an extra one may be kept until the rotation is actually set. Plus there are other good players elsewhere on the bubble competing for spots with Mundt.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
KhaDarel Hodge #11 WR

Los Angeles Rams | Official Team Site

College: Prairie View A&M

Height: 6-2 Weight: 205 Age: 23

Born: 1/3/1995

Experience: Rookie

High School:
More of that deep player scouting from Snead i guess....
B183BC6D-BBF0-3E86-A4766A64E654A2CF.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.presstelegram.com/2018/08/25/whicker-la-rams-find-a-model-rookie-in-khadarel-hodge/

Whicker: LA Rams find a model rookie in KhaDarel Hodge

LOS ANGELES >> He already has the one thing an undrafted rookie should have. That’s a backup plan.

“I’d really like to get into modeling,” KhaDarel Hodge said. “Casual, street clothes, it doesn’t matter. Suits, yeah, I like that one. I’ve given a shout-out to GQ if they want to get me on board. I was working on getting into a magazine, sometime in September.’

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.
He smiled as he said it, outside the rookies’ locker room at the Coliseum Saturday. He knows the camera blinks about as often as football does.

Both businesses are competitive and they rest in the eye of the beholder. But football at least has numbers, and Hodge is taking care of those. Just because he has a Plan B doesn’t mean he’s given up on A.

Hodge is a 6-foot-2 receiver from Prairie View A&M who came into Saturday’s preseason game leading the Rams in receiving yards, with 71. Included was aneye-jarring 47-yard touchdown catch against the Raiders. Three catches earned first downs.

Hodge did not hurt himself on Saturday against Houston. Rams quarterbacks threw him three footballs and he caught them all, for 22 yards.

The coaches are peeling off the layers of the roster onion, with various injury lists and practice squads thrown in. They have Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp and Pharoh Cooper coming back, along with Josh Reynolds and Mike Thomas, neither of whom played Saturday.

Jo Jo Natson and Fred Brown got some time, along with USC rookie Steven Mitchell.

“All those guys played well,” quarterback Sean Mannion said. “KhaDarel has been making plays all over the place.”

It will come down to special teams flexibility and everyday production. But 31 other NFL teams have directors of pro personnel, and they are watching, too. It’s unlikely that Hodge will be striking any poses until the off-season.

“It’s an incredible experience to play in the NFL, it’s like living a dream,” Hodge said. “And actually playing in the games is an even better experience.”

Hodge’s name wasn’t called during the 3-day draft. He wasn’t terribly surprised. Prairie View isn’t what it was when it sent Otis Taylor, Ken Houston and Clem Daniels to greatness.

“I had late-round expectations but I wasn’t sitting around crying about it,” Hodge said. “I prepared myself for both.”

He credits Reggie Moore, the wide receiver coach at Prairie View who played for the Rams in 1993 and coached at UCLA for Rick Neuheisel. Hodge caught TD passes in eight consecutive games last year and, against Alabama A&M, broke Taylor’s single-game school record with 232 yards.

So the Rams worked out Hodge in July and invited him to camp. There is a very short list of reasons why there are four NFL preseason games, especially when Todd Gurley, Jared Goff and most of the headline Rams don’t play them. KhaDarel Hodge and his ilk are the best reason. Without live snaps in front of real fans, his talents would remain unmodeled.

“I didn’t know what I was going to do,” Hodge said. “I was training a couple of other players back home, getting that going, and I was trying to do the modeling thing. I was just building my portfolio.”

Back home is a place called D’Lo, in the south-central part of Mississippi, a town of less than 500 that used to thrive when the sawmill was open. “It’s a place where everybody’s family, where the parents and grandparents and brothers and sisters are all together,” Hodge said.

You might not have been to D’Lo in person, but you might have seen it. Remember the scene with the “sirens” in “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” The one with the mysterious young women in the river, singing “Go To Sleep, Little Baby” as the Soggy Bottom Boys stood there enchanted? That scene was filmed in the Strong River, just outside D’Lo.

You have such reveries during preseason games on mild sunny afternoons.

The Rams did win, 21-20, and they controlled the ball for 35:38 and converted 11 of 17 third downs.

Mannion was shaky in the beginning but got better. John Kelly ran with authority. Micah Kiser tackled the same way. Otherwise, get ready for even less significance Thursday at New Orleans, as the Rams get the palm fronds ready for Aaron Donald’s procession into Thousand Oaks, unscheduled at this writing.

Hodge just hopes he isn’t leaving town as Donald arrives. But even if he never plays another down, we might see him in the magazine rack.

“It’s what I want to do,” Hodge said. “I think I’m pretty photogenic, actually.”

…..

Legend
Hi my name is Dog, and I'm a fan of KhaDarel Hodge and the Soggy Bottom Boys.

Wish the kid all the luck in the world, I like his vibe.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

Sorry lol

Don’t be sorry! I actually hope he make the final roster! I have no idea who he replaces or if the Rams just carry an extra WR but I just hope he makes the team! And, I would be shocked if the Rams put him on the Practice Squad that he is not signed by another team (Quickly!)!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I've been impressed by him and Mitchell. Hope we can keep both on the PS.

Last edited: