Keep an eye on CB Aqib Talib

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4640/aqib-talib
Three NFL general managers said at the Senior Bowl that they would not trade for Broncos LCB Aqib Talib.
Per ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold, all three GMs said they believe Talib will eventually be released, making him an unrestricted free agent. The mere fact that the Broncos have made it public they want to deal Talib lowers his value. Turning 32 next month, Talib continued to play at an extremely high level in 2017, earning PFF's No. 15 overall cornerback grade among 120 qualifiers.

With Trumaine Johnson a FA, if we decide not to re-sign him, I expect that we'll go after Talib once the Broncos release him. Talib can be a bit of a hothead and knucklehead, but he was a dominant CB in Wade's scheme in Denver. He should be cheaper than Trumaine due to his age and willing to accept a shorter deal (my guess would be a two-year or three-year deal).

I also recommend keeping an eye on CB Bashaud Breeland. He played under Aubrey Pleasant and Joe Barry in Washington. He's a good fit for Wade's scheme (physical, press-man CB), still young, and is about to hit FA. The Redskins reportedly are going to let him go because they can't afford to pay him and Norman top dollar, and they have already planned for his departure (drafted Fuller, Moreau, and paid Dunbar).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IF he hits FA then I agree the Rams have a chance with him. The Wade connection is real. But I'm going to wait for the Broncos to run outta gas on the trade front and cut him before I start hoping the Rams have a shot at him. Would be a very nice pickup and he would be a better CB1 for us than Trumaine was last year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The important thing is that the Rams will have alternatives that should mean we aren't held hostage by the position and having to pay a King's ransom.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not sure he fits the locker room McVay has been putting together. But would depend on Wade's referral I'm sure. Breeland would be very interesting though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hopefully Snead covers all of the bases in free agency. Signing Tru and adding Taliban would be awesome for the defense. I am not so high on Breeland. In most seasons teams try to plug all of their holes to give them insurance and draft flexibility. A move like signing Taliban could make it possible to draft a player like James Daniels, the Center from Iowa, who may be the best to come out since Travis Frederick

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure he fits the locker room McVay has been putting together. But would depend on Wade's referral I'm sure. Breeland would be very interesting though.
I'd love to find out . He'd be a short term alternative that allows us to draft his replacement either this year or a couple of years down the road

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If Tru gets let go then I’m on board. Otherwise I would like to see us develop Troy Hill. The kid is a gamer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We are all watching counselor and in your mock off season you had the Los Angeles Rams landing both Bashaud Breeland & Talib and as I consume my fine Colombian Beverage this morning, it brings a smile to my face before the trials & tribulations that I will encounter in the workplace this week.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
IF he hits FA then I agree the Rams have a chance with him. The Wade connection is real. But I'm going to wait for the Broncos to run outta gas on the trade front and cut him before I start hoping the Rams have a shot at him. Would be a very nice pickup and he would be a better CB1 for us than Trumaine was last year.

One thing to consider here is a compensatory pick.

If you trade a 6th for Talib, then he does not factor into comp picks.

So if Tru leaves and gets a big deal, the Rams get a possible 3rd rnd comp pick in 19'. However if he leaves and you sign Talib, then he might cancel out that comp pick.

What I am not sure of is if he is released does Talib factor into the whole comp pick FA scenario since he was not originally a true FA. If he does then there is an argument to throw a late round pick so you still get a comp pick for TruJo.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4640/aqib-talib

With Trumaine Johnson a FA, if we decide not to re-sign him, I expect that we'll go after Talib once the Broncos release him. Talib can be a bit of a hothead and knucklehead, but he was a dominant CB in Wade's scheme in Denver. He should be cheaper than Trumaine due to his age and willing to accept a shorter deal (my guess would be a two-year or three-year deal).

I also recommend keeping an eye on CB Bashaud Breeland. He played under Aubrey Pleasant and Joe Barry in Washington. He's a good fit for Wade's scheme (physical, press-man CB), still young, and is about to hit FA. The Redskins reportedly are going to let him go because they can't afford to pay him and Norman top dollar, and they have already planned for his departure (drafted Fuller, Moreau, and paid Dunbar).
I would feel a lot better about letting Tru go, for Cap reasons, if we could land one or both of these Players!!(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The chain snatcher in Horns???

We do play the raiduhs next year.
Nice point! It would definitely give the "Color Commentators" something to talk about.(y) " Hey! Folks hold on to your Gold Chains, Talib is In-the-House!!":LOL:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So if Tru leaves and gets a big deal, the Rams get a possible 3rd rnd comp pick in 19'. However if he leaves and you sign Talib, then he might cancel out that comp pick.

What I am not sure of is if he is released does Talib factor into the whole comp pick FA scenario since he was not originally a true FA. If he does then there is an argument to throw a late round pick so you still get a comp pick for TruJo.

Just a thought.
Released players don’t count in the compensation equation.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm only half sold on Talib . Yes he had a good year on a bad team but he's getting older and his play is going to start dropping off and dropping off quickly I might add . Take a look at Revis, he had a couple good years in his 30s and then it dropped off all of the sudden and I don't want to be stuck holding the bag when it does happen

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Released players don’t count in the compensation equation.

I wasn't sure...I mean I know the team that releases a player gets no comp if he signed to a big deal, but wasn't sure if he counts against the team that signs him since at that point he now becomes a FA, and whether that affects their compensatory formula of gains vs losses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah, I think the key here for the Rams is being shrewd in use of FA now. They don't have nearly the amount of holes and questions they had going into last season. What is important is upgrading one position if possible, and retaining the right guys among their own FA crop.

They'll undoubtedly add some depth types in FA, too, to ensure they're not totally shorthanded going into the draft at certain positions. But I think it's important that if you're going to pay a guy to come in from the outside, and by pay I mean more than that depth rate, it has to be an upgrade. That way you either ensure your roster improves OR you get picks like the Patriots have made a killing of doing.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No thanks on Talib. Thirty years old and he's a known character risk.