Just to be very clear about the Talib trade...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I think he was a great get. An example of Snead taking full advantage of an opportunity that presented itself.

But here’s the thing. We’ve got to remember that he’s probably only gonna be a 2 year solution. Although it looks like it might be a helluva 2 years.

Very similar to the Whit signing. First year was fabulous. But probably a short shelf life.

Both Whit and Talib are elite types at premium positions. VERY useful in a short SB window for an ascending team.

But S&M know very well that plans for their respective replacements must soon be implemented.

My point? CB and LOT might just be on the table if certain players should fall to us at either #23 or #87. Just sayin’.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be shocked at either position going for the third rounder. There's a chance a top CB falls to the Rams in the first, though in that scenario I wouldn't be surprised at a slight trade down, assuming a suitable partner can be found.

JRobinson

MiLB
Now this 43 is a topic worth taking the time to read.

You are on point with this one in certain ways . I also believe that replacements need to be addressed sooner than later but probably not with our first few picks unless someone spectacular lands at 23.

You said it, our window is open and we need to take advantage; in which we have made significant moves to do this.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It's a tough spot we are in. Especially after losing Tru, Quinn and Ogletree due to scheme fit issues. Not to mention Robinson was a complete bust which really sets us back. Thankfully Whit has been a steady vet but who knows how long that will last. Realistically we need to draft his replacement this year if they see someone who fits what they want. Next would be ILB and NT. Corner is something we have good depth at if we lock up NRC long term.

jap

Legend
Yeah, I think he was a great get. An example of Snead taking full advantage of an opportunity that presented itself.

But here’s the thing. We’ve got to remember that he’s probably only gonna be a 2 year solution. Although it looks like it might be a helluva 2 years.

Very similar to the Whit signing. First year was fabulous. But probably a short shelf life.

Both Whit and Talib are elite types at premium positions. VERY useful in a short SB window for an ascending team.

But S&M know very well that plans for their respective replacements must soon be implemented.

My point? CB and LOT might just be on the table if certain players should fall to us at either #23 or #87. Just sayin’.

Agreed! Which is why I feel that Kayvon Webster and NRC are still viable targets to retain unless opportunities to obtain players with greater potential via FA|trade|draft becomes possible. Roster maintenance is a constant ongoing task that never stops.

Psycho_X

Legend
You are right and that’s why I wouldn’t be surprised by any defensive position being taken in the 1st this years draft. LB, DT, CB, bpa.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But S&M know very well that plans for their respective replacements must soon be implemented.Probabaly

Probably...but if we are being real, that's about how long our elderly DC will be with the team. Lets give them all two Super Bowl victories...

jap

Legend
Probably...but if we are being real, that's about how long our elderly DC will be with the team. Lets give them all two Super Bowl victories...

Actually, I am hoping that Wade is training a younger coach to take over his role for the future. This is similar to when Bud Carson was our DC at the start of Dickie V's coaching regime with the Horns, when, in addition to coaching our players, Bud was also training younger coaches to be savvy NFL defensive coaches.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I believe our biggest need right now is LB, LB, LB but my guess is, if we remain at 23, we go BPA. That might shock some if that's a RB or WR, etc. But this Rams front office doesn't mind shocking us. I think we are leaning toward a LB if the players available are remotely close in value to the Rams. LBs, NT, CB, OT, C, and an Edge are all needed in my opinion.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Talib strikes me as the type of corner that could definitely transition to safety after he slows down a bit due to age.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Talib strikes me as the type of corner that could definitely transition to safety after he slows down a bit due to age.

But we have one of the best Safety duos in John Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner.

That said, if Joshua Jackson, CB Iowa falls to us, I can see us taking him as Talib's eventual replacement.

What better tandem to teach a tall, ballhawking CB the ropes than Talib and Peters???

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, that could be said about anyone.

I'm just going by what we have. We have one of the best, most talented safety tandems in the NFL.

I would rather we continue to develop the young talent.

That said, if we pull a Woodson with Talib because Joyner leaves after this year, that'd be okay, too.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
And as I recall that last perennial pro bowl CB the Rams signed worked out pretty well at Safety, the great Aneas Williams

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the trade shows that they are committed to winning now. They're not waiting for the new stadium to open. Win a championship and all kinds of windows open. When you have a young core you know you're going to be good for a while. Vets might take less to chase a ring. The Rams will be a destination where winners want to come. Much the Lakers were for decades.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed! Which is why I feel that Kayvon Webster and NRC are still viable targets to retain unless opportunities to obtain players with greater potential via FA|trade|draft becomes possible. Roster maintenance is a constant ongoing task that never stops.
Why Kayvon Webster could be a surprise cap casualty for the Rams
By: Cameron DaSilva | 4 hours ago

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...bster-release-salary-cap-savings-free-agency/

Cornerback was viewed as a huge need for the Los Angeles Rams entering this offseason. With Trumaine Johnson likely to depart in free agency, Nickell Robey-Coleman’s contract expiring and Kayvon Webster recovering from a torn Achilles, depth at cornerback looked extremely thin.It didn’t take long for the Rams to address that need, however.

In the past two weeks, Les Snead and Co. have added three potential starters via trade and free agency. The first domino to fall was the acquisition of Marcus Peters from the Chiefs. Then, the Rams signed Sam Shields, who sat out the 2017 season due to concussions. The capped it off by sending a fifth-round pick to Denver for Aqib Talib, reuniting him with Wade Phillips.

With all those moves, it brings into question where exactly Webster fits. He ruptured his Achilles in December and injuries of that nature can take up to a year to recover from. That puts him on track to return in December, which would mean he’d only be healthy for the last couple of regular season games and the playoffs, at best.

He’s entering his second year with the Rams, which also happens to be the last of his two-year deal. As it stands right now, he’ll count $3.67 million against the cap in 2018. Considering the severity of his injury, and the fact that he may not contribute much in 2018, there’s a chance he could be released.

After all, it’d seem irresponsible for the Rams to pay a player that amount of money to sit on injured reserve all season.If the Rams were to release Webster this offseason, they’d only be on the hook for $500,000 in the form of a roster bonus. They’d save $3.17 million in doing so, giving them additional money to spend on potential free agents who will play in 2018.

usatsi_10473547.jpg

At this point, there have been no whispers about the Rams exploring this possibility. It wouldn’t be the best way to treat a player after just one season, but as we all know, the NFL is a business.

Should the Rams go ahead and cut ties with him now before he hits the open market in 2019? Or would they be wise to keep him with the hope that he can return sooner than expected and become a really solid depth piece at cornerback? After all, Shields has battled concussion issues in the past, Talib is 32 years old and Peters isn’t exactly the most level-headed player in the league.

Webster would be a somewhat surprising cap casualty on the surface, but if you dig deeper into the details, you’ll see that there’s money to be saved with a player who may not see the field until the final weeks of the season.