Jrry32's Second Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great draft @jrry32 ! I'd still like to see us draft a true FS tho. JJ is a good SS but lacks top end speed, no?

This scheme doesn't use a true SS or FS. The safeties are used interchangeably.

I like the Hodge pick and the Dontari Poe signing, other than that this really makes my head explode.

We aren't getting anything that strengthens us in this draft, when we don't have 2. rounder and spend our only 1. rounder on a guy that's not gonna play. We can't take that luxury this year. We could if we were the Raiders.

We can absolutely take that luxury. We have a great team and don't need rookies to play immediately to give us a chance. Look at our draft last year. Simmons is a top 5 or 10 talent in this draft. He's a perfect scheme fit. We'd be foolish to pass on him because we're too impatient.

Robert Quinn thats weak. He have showed that he don't fit the Wade system. There is no need to try force that one in again. Ryan Groy is not even an upgrade over Sully. Bortles lost his job to Cody Kessler...

Quinn had 9.5 sacks in 2017 for us. Ryan Groy isn't supposed to be an upgrade. He's depth. OL depth is damn important. Bortles played solid football in 2017 and nearly made the Super Bowl. It's a backup QB job. He's more than capable of handling that.

Brian Poole why? There are so many better alternatives in both FA and the deep safety draft.

I like Brian Poole, he's young, and I think he's a potential steal at a bargain price, that's why.

st.rams

UDFA
Name
Mark
We can absolutely take that luxury. We have a great team and don't need rookies to play immediately to give us a chance. Look at our draft last year. Simmons is a top 5 or 10 talent in this draft. He's a perfect scheme fit. We'd be foolish to pass on him because we're too impatient.

I don't think front office feel that way, and neither do I. We need the last couple of pieces in order to win the championship in this open window where Goff is under rookie contract. However its' hard of course to predict when FA haven't begun.

Quinn had 9.5 sacks in 2017 for us. Ryan Groy isn't supposed to be an upgrade. He's depth. OL depth is damn important. Bortles played solid football in 2017 and nearly made the Super Bowl. It's a backup QB job. He's more than capable of handling that.

But you want to keep Sully as starter, and Groy as backup? We already have a backup and on a rookie deal, so can't see that makes sense for us to do, especially because Groy have been playing bad and been injured as well.
Quinn maybe got the sacks yes, but was a total liability also. There are so much talent in the draft on EDGE, so I don't see any room for him.

I like Brian Poole, he's young, and I think he's a potential steal at a bargain price, that's why.

Brian Poole got burned so many times this season. Really can't see him being a steal, and again with all the talent and depth in both the draft and FA, this is just not making us stronger, but actually worse than when Joyner was in that role.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think front office feel that way, and neither do I. We need the last couple of pieces in order to win the championship in this open window where Goff is under rookie contract. However its' hard of course to predict when FA haven't begun.

We're picking at #31. Odds are that we're not going to land a guy who will be a difference-making rookie. We might have to wait on Simmons, but he's being compared to top DTs like Suh, Fletcher Cox, Kevin Williams, etc. He's incredibly gifted. We'd be foolish to pass up a guy who could be a future All Pro next to Donald because we have to give him time to recover from an injury. We already made a championship this year and could have easily won it. Simply put, passing on better talent because we want to win now is bad planning when the core of our team is so young. I don't believe for a second that's how our front office rolls.

But you want to keep Sully as starter, and Groy as backup? We already have a backup and on a rookie deal, so can't see that makes sense for us to do, especially because Groy have been playing bad and been injured as well.
Quinn maybe got the sacks yes, but was a total liability also. There are so much talent in the draft on EDGE, so I don't see any room for him.

Sully will have to earn his starting job. But yes, the plan would be Groy being our backup at Center and Guard. Brian Allen is also a backup at Center and Guard. Most teams keep 8 to 9 OLs. Noteboom, Groy, and Allen being depth would give us 8 OLs. If you think it's a bad idea to have another interior OL who can step up and start if needed, you clearly don't remember the days before McVay when we had shit luck with OL injuries. And I don't give a crap that Groy hasn't played well since Kromer left. Kromer is here now. That's actually good news for me. It means we can get him cheaper, and odds are that he'll outplay his contract.

Quinn was far from a total liability. Even if we land a talented EDGE, there's plenty of room for a guy like Quinn in the rotation. You seem to have unrealistic expectations for rookies.

Brian Poole got burned so many times this season. Really can't see him being a steal, and again with all the talent and depth in both the draft and FA, this is just not making us stronger, but actually worse than when Joyner was in that role.

Brian Poole struggled at slot CB. I'm moving him to safety. I evaluated the guy in college. I watched him closely with Atlanta. I see the skills needed to thrive at safety. I've watched a number of other CBs over the years convert to safety and play quality football (Glover Quin, Quandre Diggs, Damontae Kazee, LaMarcus Joyner, Damarious Randall, Andre Hal, Malcolm Jenkins, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson, Tyrann Mathieu, Micah Hyde . . . do I need to keep going?). It takes a certain skill-set, and Poole has that skill-set.

Part of building a great team is finding players other teams overlook to make major contributions. Poole is going to be overlooked imo. We have a great opportunity to sign a guy who could play quality football for us at safety at a bargain despite his relatively young age. No guts, no glory.

st.rams

UDFA
Name
Mark
We're picking at #31. Odds are that we're not going to land a guy who will be a difference-making rookie. We might have to wait on Simmons, but he's being compared to top DTs like Suh, Fletcher Cox, Kevin Williams, etc. He's incredibly gifted. We'd be foolish to pass up a guy who could be a future All Pro next to Donald because we have to give him time to recover from an injury. We already made a championship this year and could have easily won it. Simply put, passing on better talent because we want to win now is bad planning when the core of our team is so young. I don't believe for a second that's how our front office rolls.

Isn't that what the front office have been doing the last couple of years. Overlooking the draft and instead finding players that can make an impact now, and not later. I think they are realistic about this being the window now, and Kroenke wants that ring, let's not be fooled.

Sully will have to earn his starting job. But yes, the plan would be Groy being our backup at Center and Guard. Brian Allen is also a backup at Center and Guard. Most teams keep 8 to 9 OLs. Noteboom, Groy, and Allen being depth would give us 8 OLs. If you think it's a bad idea to have another interior OL who can step up and start if needed, you clearly don't remember the days before McVay when we had crap luck with OL injuries. And I don't give a crap that Groy hasn't played well since Kromer left. Kromer is here now. That's actually good news for me. It means we can get him cheaper, and odds are that he'll outplay his contract.

Quinn was far from a total liability. Even if we land a talented EDGE, there's plenty of room for a guy like Quinn in the rotation. You seem to have unrealistic expectations for rookies.

Sully should NOT start for this football team. O-line is so vital for any team's succes. We need to upgrade on that position. Sully should at most be the backup if he doesn't retire. My dream is Matt Paradis from the Broncos.

Quinn was a liability, we need somebody who can also do a job against the run. We saw how easily teams ran against us this season. Adding him and losing Fowler would make this team weaker. I fully expect a 1 or 2 rounder can come in, and do a better job than Quinn at that position, with the hugely talented group in this upcoming draft.

Brian Poole struggled at slot CB. I'm moving him to safety. I evaluated the guy in college. I watched him closely with Atlanta. I see the skills needed to thrive at safety. I've watched a number of other CBs over the years convert to safety and play quality football (Glover Quin, Quandre Diggs, Damontae Kazee, LaMarcus Joyner, Damarious Randall, Andre Hal, Malcolm Jenkins, Devin McCourty, Kareem Jackson, Tyrann Mathieu, Micah Hyde . . . do I need to keep going?). It takes a certain skill-set, and Poole has that skill-set.

Part of building a great team is finding players other teams overlook to make major contributions. Poole is going to be overlooked imo. We have a great opportunity to sign a guy who could play quality football for us at safety at a bargain despite his relatively young age. No guts, no glory.

Again I just don't see why you want to hang you hat on a guy who haven't proven he is up for the task. Falcons easily saw that experiment didn't turn out the way they wanted. He was abysmal at the position, that's the only thing I can see through PFF and what Falcons writers have told. There are so many good options at safety this year. Brian Pool maaaaybe could have been a chance if the group was not loaded with talent in FA and Draft.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't that what the front office have been doing the last couple of years. Overlooking the draft and instead finding players that can make an impact now, and not later. I think they are realistic about this being the window now, and Kroenke wants that ring, let's not be fooled.

Sully should NOT start for this football team. O-line is so vital for any team's succes. We need to upgrade on that position. Sully should at most be the backup if he doesn't retire. My dream is Matt Paradis from the Broncos.

Quinn was a liability, we need somebody who can also do a job against the run. We saw how easily teams ran against us this season. Adding him and losing Fowler would make this team weaker. I fully expect a 1 or 2 rounder can come in, and do a better job than Quinn at that position, with the hugely talented group in this upcoming draft.

Again I just don't see why you want to hang you hat on a guy who haven't proven he is up for the task. Falcons easily saw that experiment didn't turn out the way they wanted. He was abysmal at the position, that's the only thing I can see through PFF and what Falcons writers have told. There are so many good options at safety this year. Brian Pool maaaaybe could have been a chance if the group was not loaded with talent in FA and Draft.

Both drafts they picked players for the future, not to play immediately.

We drafted nine players last year and hardly any of them got any playing time - we drafted quite a few the year before and, same thing except for John Johnson and Cooper Kupp.

In two drafts, those two and Ebukam are the only starters, yet most of those draft picks are still with the team - Everett, Reynolds, Kiser, Kelly, Smart, Noteboom, Allen, JFM, Demby, Joseph-Day, Howard, Young and Lawler are all still on the team right now - which tells us that they're drafting for depth/future, which is what good teams do. The only two draft picks that are not with the team are Sam Rogers and Ejuan Price.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think you are being fooled. Look at the guys they've acquired for significant draft compensation: Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, and Marcus Peters. Every single one of those guys was still a very young player when we acquired them. You're way off base if you think we're going all in for a ring. We want that ring. We're going after it. But we're building a core that will keep winning.

I am also of the opinion that Sully isn't our guy anymore, but McVay highly values his football IQ, experience, and communication skills. But if we do go away from Sully, we have two in-house options in Austin Blythe and Brian Allen. There's no reason to go out and pay for a starting Center.

Well, our run defense got even worse this year without Quinn. Some of y'all overrate the hell out of Fowler based on some timely plays.

I don't care if you see it. I do. Having the balls to take a risk on a guy based on a projection is how you hit a home run in this business. And if we strike out, it's a low-risk proposition. I'm not afraid to go out on a limb.